Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-06-2011, 10:55 AM
kck7 kck7 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: N. Atlanta
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 387
Mein Auto: 2011 X535D/2011 335IS cv
"Not-free" maintenance - what do you think?

I was going to title this something like "oil change outside free maintenance" but the question also applies to other items. So I thought I'd get your thoughts on what you are doing/going to do/thinking of doing in addition to the free maintenance.

If doing oil and filter, are you going to DIY? I read a writeup (funf's I think) and it seemed not too hard.
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 01-06-2011, 11:08 AM
BimmerVSR BimmerVSR is offline
Lifetime Bimmer Fan
Location: CT, USA
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 167
Mein Auto: 2012 535 xi GT
I was going to open a thread called "Old School Maintenance" which is what the Tech Editor in BMW CCA calls his maintenance plan.

I wonder how many are following that plan. If so, do you have the dealer do those extra oil changes w/o setting the indicator? Would it be best to have my non-dealer german car specialist do any "extra" work that I am willing to pay for?

The first of those items would be the break-in oil change I think recommended for 1200 miles?

Can't wait to see what others are doing...
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-06-2011, 12:01 PM
edpm3 edpm3 is offline
Registered User
Location: Missouri
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 35
Mein Auto: X5 xDrive 35d
Did the first oil/oil filter change at 2000 miles (couldn't do it at 1200 because I was on a trip). Subsequent changes will be at 3000 to 5000 depending on how hard the vehicle worked (towing or not). All non-free maintenance oil changes are done by me, without resetting the service interval lights.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-06-2011, 12:35 PM
kck7 kck7 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: N. Atlanta
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 387
Mein Auto: 2011 X535D/2011 335IS cv
Quote:
Originally Posted by edpm3 View Post
Did the first oil/oil filter change at 2000 miles (couldn't do it at 1200 because I was on a trip). Subsequent changes will be at 3000 to 5000 depending on how hard the vehicle worked (towing or not). All non-free maintenance oil changes are done by me, without resetting the service interval lights.

Got a good DIY available? This one looks fine but would like to see locations of drain plug, etc.
http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-foru...ics-added.html

Also - has anyone tried the vac method, whereby the oil is sucked out via a pump? I did this for years with great results on my ML320, and it was a fairly common thing for owners of that model. Of course one thing that made it worthwhile was that the filter was accessible from the TOP of the engine compartment so one never had to get under the car (not that that is necessarily a problem).
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-06-2011, 02:51 PM
1buck01 1buck01 is offline
Registered User
Location: Atlanta
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 99
Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35d
My local dealer will do the interim oil changes( for regular price) and will not reset the service indicator-
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-06-2011, 04:22 PM
samsonitep samsonitep is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NY
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 487
Mein Auto: BMW
no maintenance on my car....whenever it says goto the dealer I'll go otherwise does not matter to me.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-06-2011, 06:39 PM
quackbury's Avatar
quackbury quackbury is offline
///Monkeyazz Duck
Location: Not In Kansas Any More
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 4,462
Mein Auto: 535i M Sport; 328i Wagon
Your indie mechanic is going to use the same filters and the same fluids for half the price of the dealer. Why pay more for the same work? (Unless your SA is really hot, or you absolutely positively must use hte dealership's free WiFi for the half hour your car is on a lift).
__________________


Current BMW's:
2014 535i MSport Space / Black, ZCW, ZDA, ZLP, ZLS, ZPP, H-K and 704
2014 328i Sport Wagon, Glacier / Black, ZSL, ZD2, ZD3, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, and H-K

Prior BMW's
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-06-2011, 06:59 PM
kck7 kck7 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: N. Atlanta
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 387
Mein Auto: 2011 X535D/2011 335IS cv
Quote:
Originally Posted by quackbury View Post
Your indie mechanic is going to use the same filters and the same fluids for half the price of the dealer. Why pay more for the same work? (Unless your SA is really hot, or you absolutely positively must use hte dealership's free WiFi for the half hour your car is on a lift).
(If this is a response to my OP): Actually my question was more of "are you doing non-scheduled maintenance (for the health of the car)?", not "are you doing it at the dealer?"

I am fully in the camp of avoiding the dealer whenever possible. Even the local indie has wi-fi and coffee. But my favorite indie of all has a nice house, I can work in his garage, eat and drink from his fridge, and even lie in his bed when I'm tired. Yep, that's... ME! (and sometimes my kid who helps out). I like to DIY whenever possible. It's not only the money (which it is) but also the 'connectedness' I get to the car.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-06-2011, 09:32 PM
edpm3 edpm3 is offline
Registered User
Location: Missouri
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 35
Mein Auto: X5 xDrive 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by kck7 View Post
Got a good DIY available? This one looks fine but would like to see locations of drain plug, etc.
http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-foru...ics-added.html

Also - has anyone tried the vac method, whereby the oil is sucked out via a pump? I did this for years with great results on my ML320, and it was a fairly common thing for owners of that model. Of course one thing that made it worthwhile was that the filter was accessible from the TOP of the engine compartment so one never had to get under the car (not that that is necessarily a problem).
I've done nothing but the vac method for many years, until BMW sold me a vehicle with no dipstick.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-06-2011, 10:21 PM
ard ard is offline
Resident Curmudgeon
Location: Sierra foothills
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 10,109
Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by edpm3 View Post
I've done nothing but the vac method for many years, until BMW sold me a vehicle with no dipstick.
Actually your diesel HAS a dipstick!


I do interstitial changes. BMW "free" maintenance is designed to get the car to 50k miles
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-06-2011, 10:29 PM
the kidd's Avatar
the kidd the kidd is offline
pay it forward
Location: boston
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 798
Mein Auto: X5 and Subaru Impreza
i thought the break in oil change was the old school of thought. I will change my oil every 7500 or yearly, whichever comes first. I will pay for the every other oil change. Don't know where I will go yet, though. Any good indie's in the boston area?
__________________
2011 X5 SAV titanium silver/black/aluminum
2013 Subaru Impreza graphite gray/black replaced the 335
RIP 335i xdrive DSB/gray
RIP 2005 Subaru Legacy GT
RIP 1986 Honda Accord (involved in three car accident while pahked in the North End)
RIP 2002 Mini Cooper (90th produced)
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-07-2011, 04:34 AM
bobamoo's Avatar
bobamoo bobamoo is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Greensboro, NC
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 387
Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35i
Yep, old school here. Just can not leave oil (synth or otherwise) in for 10-12k miles. Had 1st oil change done last week at 3500 miles. Dealer's shop foreman was talking to me about something else, then commented "you are doing the right thing" by getting the 1st change now. Cost was $89 with full synth. Not sure what I'll do going forward, would like to take advantage of the free maintenance, but I just don't know what leaving oil in for 10-12k miles will do long term.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-07-2011, 06:44 AM
edpm3 edpm3 is offline
Registered User
Location: Missouri
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 35
Mein Auto: X5 xDrive 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
Actually your diesel HAS a dipstick!
I looked all over for that thing and couldn't find it, but based on your post, I looked harder and sure enough, there it was. Well hidden, hard to get to, and made to look like not a dipstick, but it's there. I stand corrected and thank you very much.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-07-2011, 10:28 AM
Stussy109's Avatar
Stussy109 Stussy109 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New jersey
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 172
Mein Auto: 2009 335D sport
after reading this, you all have inspired me to get my first oil change in the x5d at 2k miles... What should I be paying for an oil change at a dealership?
__________________
Current Rides:
2011 X5D Loaded (Oil Burner)
2012 VW Passat SEL TDI (Oil sipper)
2008 Honda CBR 1000
2007 Harley Davidson Sportster XL 1200

Retired:
2010 Mercedes GL350 (in the shop too much)
2009 335D
2008 Audi A6 3.2 Quattro loaded
2005 BMW M3 Black compertition Pkg with Nav

Last edited by Stussy109; 01-07-2011 at 11:12 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-07-2011, 11:56 AM
two-five boy two-five boy is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Queens, NY
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 395
Mein Auto: 11' X5 Sport Activity
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobamoo View Post
Yep, old school here. Just can not leave oil (synth or otherwise) in for 10-12k miles. Had 1st oil change done last week at 3500 miles. Dealer's shop foreman was talking to me about something else, then commented "you are doing the right thing" by getting the 1st change now. Cost was $89 with full synth. Not sure what I'll do going forward, would like to take advantage of the free maintenance, but I just don't know what leaving oil in for 10-12k miles will do long term.
$89 only? Did that include the oil filter? Seems wayyy too cheap.
__________________
2013 X1 28i Sport - AW/Coral Red/Ultimate/Cold/Lighting (Delivered on 12/8/12)
2011 X5 35i Sport Activity - AW/Blk/Aluminum (GONE)
2005 X3 3.0 (GONE)
2006 Subaru Legacy GT (GONE)
2001 Honda Prelude modded (GONE)
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-07-2011, 12:19 PM
kck7 kck7 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: N. Atlanta
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 387
Mein Auto: 2011 X535D/2011 335IS cv
Quote:
Originally Posted by two-five boy View Post
$89 only? Did that include the oil filter? Seems wayyy too cheap.
I agree... if that includes parts and labor there's something amiss. The internet retailer sells oil and filter for $91 (including ship), so one assumes the dealer prices for parts alone probably exceed $100.

Others reading this: please post your experience with oil and filter cost. Is this the best place and price? http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...egoryID=112995

Also a question on the dipstick. I did find it but a gentle tug did not release it. Should I go ahead and pull on it harder? Don't want to be hurtin' nothin'...

So how about that vac method, edpm3? Gonna try it? I figure even if you don't drag all the oil out but say 95% that is better than not doing it at all. Whether that last 5% is worth getting under the car etc, I don't know.

Last edited by kck7; 01-07-2011 at 12:40 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-07-2011, 02:32 PM
Stussy109's Avatar
Stussy109 Stussy109 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New jersey
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 172
Mein Auto: 2009 335D sport
Go quoted $275 for the Diesel X5D oil change. Seems outrageous. Gas version is 189, assuming the D takes more oil?
__________________
Current Rides:
2011 X5D Loaded (Oil Burner)
2012 VW Passat SEL TDI (Oil sipper)
2008 Honda CBR 1000
2007 Harley Davidson Sportster XL 1200

Retired:
2010 Mercedes GL350 (in the shop too much)
2009 335D
2008 Audi A6 3.2 Quattro loaded
2005 BMW M3 Black compertition Pkg with Nav
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-07-2011, 02:52 PM
xian66369 xian66369 is offline
Registered User
Location: NJ, NY
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 46
Mein Auto: X5 3.5D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stussy109 View Post
Go quoted $275 for the Diesel X5D oil change. Seems outrageous. Gas version is 189, assuming the D takes more oil?
Just had my general maintenance done, work order show

07 51 0 037 195 : Oil 5w30 Diesel Qty: 8
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-07-2011, 04:03 PM
Penguin Penguin is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Illinois
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,918
Mein Auto: Z4 and X5 Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by kck7 View Post
Others reading this: please post your experience with oil and filter cost. Is this the best place and price? http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...egoryID=112995

My dealer, for whatever reason, often sells many maintenance items at quite reasonable prices. A few months ago I paid about $65 for eight quarts of the diesel engine oil and a filter.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-07-2011, 07:11 PM
bobamoo's Avatar
bobamoo bobamoo is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Greensboro, NC
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 387
Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by two-five boy View Post
$89 only? Did that include the oil filter? Seems wayyy too cheap.
Yep. Just got the invoice out. Oil and filter, $84.95. I do get a BMWCCA discount, they have my member # attached to the VIN in their computer system, so I don't have to ask. I was originally told $179 for an oil change. I questioned that, was told that's full service. Rotate tires, top all fluids and not sure what else. Did not need or want that, so basic change was $89 ($84 with discount). Not seeing that as cheap, but then again, I knew maintenance would be a bit higher with BMW than other cars I've owned. I think a full synth change on my Volvo would be $79 without the the free maintenance plan (Safe And Secure).
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 01-07-2011, 10:31 PM
ard ard is offline
Resident Curmudgeon
Location: Sierra foothills
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 10,109
Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stussy109 View Post
Go quoted $275 for the Diesel X5D oil change. Seems outrageous. Gas version is 189, assuming the D takes more oil?
Do those include the special KY lube?


BMW dealers KNOW that anyone even ASKING about the price of an oil service is probably not capable of DIY, or they've bought inot the myth that 'special BMWs' need 'special BMW service'...hence they really feel no need to be competitive
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-08-2011, 12:45 AM
Stussy109's Avatar
Stussy109 Stussy109 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New jersey
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 172
Mein Auto: 2009 335D sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
Do those include the special KY lube?


BMW dealers KNOW that anyone even ASKING about the price of an oil service is probably not capable of DIY, or they've bought inot the myth that 'special BMWs' need 'special BMW service'...hence they really feel no need to be competitive
The woman asked me if I'd like to shedule an appt. after telling me the price, and I said absolutely not
__________________
Current Rides:
2011 X5D Loaded (Oil Burner)
2012 VW Passat SEL TDI (Oil sipper)
2008 Honda CBR 1000
2007 Harley Davidson Sportster XL 1200

Retired:
2010 Mercedes GL350 (in the shop too much)
2009 335D
2008 Audi A6 3.2 Quattro loaded
2005 BMW M3 Black compertition Pkg with Nav
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-08-2011, 01:07 AM
Cdnrockies Cdnrockies is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Alberta
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 512
Mein Auto: X5 35d; 750Li; IS F
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stussy109 View Post
The woman asked me if I'd like to shedule an appt. after telling me the price, and I said absolutely not
You guys should see what the maintenance costs are on the Bluetec if these are shocking you?
__________________


'11 750 Li Xdrive Alpine White
'10 X5 35d Space Grey
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 01-08-2011, 10:10 AM
kck7 kck7 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: N. Atlanta
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 387
Mein Auto: 2011 X535D/2011 335IS cv
Quote:
Originally Posted by kck7 View Post
Also a question on the dipstick. I did find it but a gentle tug did not release it. Should I go ahead and pull on it harder? Don't want to be hurtin' nothin'...

So how about that vac method, edpm3? Gonna try it? I figure even if you don't drag all the oil out but say 95% that is better than not doing it at all. Whether that last 5% is worth getting under the car etc, I don't know.
Quoting myself here... anyone got answers to these two questions?
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 01-08-2011, 10:18 AM
Felliren Felliren is offline
Registered User
Location: Round Lake, IL
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 73
Mein Auto: 2011 X5 3.5i Premium
I'm interested in this thread as well, as the idea of waiting 10-12k for the first oil change makes me queasy.

I'm seeing numbers all over the place, though, for that first change. Some say 1200, some say 3500. I was thinking 5,000 since that is why all my VWs used (and they require synthetic).

Has anyone developed any sort of consensus on this?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms