Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 01-07-2011, 11:55 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Weird question ... Where are ENGINE-specific BMW P1xxx trouble codes anyway?

I'm having a problem helping a friend with her P1624 DTC for a 2000 328i which I think is a M52TU engine E46.

So I popped a question on the E46 forum just now asking about it:
- P1624 2000 328i (is this a pedal position or a thermostat BMW P-code?)

But I have a different question here.

My question is WHY am I getting DIFFERENT results for what this trouble code means (it's either the pedal-position potentiometer or the thermostat) depending on SOMETHING (I think the interpretation depends on the engine?).

I know this is the 5-series forum so I'll just ask here the generic question:
Q: Where do I find ENGINE-SPECIFIC BMW P-codes?

Bear in mind, I already went to all the bestlinks references and they indicate more often than not that it's the potentiometer ... but it's not consistent. Some tables say it's the thermostat. Why are the P-codes engine specific and where's the best overall table? Auuuurgggggh.
Advertisement
Old 01-07-2011, 12:42 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 87 325is, 02 530i Sport
The code tables are in the Bentley.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent15 View Post
I have the E39 Bentley but the confusion appears to be that the code means different things depending on the model car.

I'm working toward the answer though ...
- It could be the pedal postion sensor (but this car has a bowden cable!)
- It could be the thermostat (which is the same as the E39 I6 electrical thermostat)

So, I think, (but I'm not sure), that the problem is the electrical thermostat (same as on our E39s!).

But, I really wish BMW P codes for P1624 wasn't so darn ambiguous!
Old 01-07-2011, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
...the confusion appears to be that the code means different things depending on the model car.
If I'm not mistaken, "P" codes are generic OBDII codes. A scanner capable of reading BMW-specific codes will probably pinpoint what's throwing it.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:28 PM
Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: 99 528iA
OBDII codes shouldn't vary in their meaning, but BMW codes could... but aren't P-codes OBDII?
'99 540i (grandfather's)

Old 01-07-2011, 01:45 PM

Mein Auto: '97 540i 6 speed
Not sure why, but several codes mean different things, depending on the engine in question (and probably the series), and Bentley tends to differentiate this for the E39.

Page OBD-65 shows P1624 for an M54, 4-1-00 to 8-31-01 to be "pedal position sensor potentiometer supply channel 1 electrical". If the engine in question is an M52, the description is "coolant thermostat (coolant temperature below thermostat regulating temperature)"

Pretty clear to me. You can't mix persimmons and kumquats (5- and 3-series cars). Get a list of 3-series P-codes.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edjack View Post
You can't mix persimmons and kumquats (5- and 3-series cars). Get a list of 3-series P-codes.
Hi Ed,

That's the problem I'm trying to solve!

Anyway, I've pretty much figured it out (I think). And it's not pretty.

The "1" codes, e.g., "P1xxx", are BMW specific ... so the tables are harder to come by; and, as you said, and as I've just found out, the BMW "1" codes DIFFER in meaning if they're found on an E39 versus an E46 ... and more specifically, it appears, even on variations of the E46 (depending on engine, e.g., M54 versus the M52TU).

So, it's not our fault it's so hard to figure out something so simple as what a P1624 means on a BMW.

It's BMW's fault that they use the same code for different things. Pretty much, since the 2000 328i I'm helping out with apparently has no "pedal potentiometer", the P1624's ambiguity, by default, becomes a "thermostat" code.

I cleared the codes on that vehicle and told the owner to watch the temperature gauge (stuck open being vastly different than stuck closed); and we're gonna wait to see if the code comes back.

But, specifically to the E39 ... I didn't know this until now, but, here's a warning. The supposed "BMW DTCs" in the bestlinks are slightly WRONG in that they purport to be BMW manufacturer specific trouble codes ... but ANY BMW listing of P1xxx trouble codes is INACCURATE if it does not also specify the engine it pertains to.

That means, anyone who doesn't know this particular fact, is, in fact, getting the WRONG diagnosis from the trouble code!

That's unsettling.

Do we have, other than retyping what's in the E39 Bentleys, a better Internet reference for E39-specific P1XXX manufacturer trouble codes than what's currently in the bestlinks thread?
Old 01-07-2011, 03:30 PM

Mein Auto: 01' 540 M-Sport cdn, F355
The definitions vary depending on what version of Motronic engine management computer is on the car. NOT the engine....some cars may have the same engine, but depending on year or model, a different Motronic engine management computer. You really need the Bentley workshop manual to know for certain, what you are looking at. They have all the P codes broken out by model and year.

Don't blame BMW, blame Bosch....they provide the Motronic and software written on it. This issue exists with any model/brand that uses Bosch Motronic, including Range Rover, Ferrari, Mercedes, etc...
Factory M-Sport package with factory installed M-tech bumpers, factory Bluetooth, factory M-Audio 10" dual voice coil subs, Homelink, M5 rear stabilizer bar, H&R 15mm spacers, Bilstein B14 PSS coil overs, Stop Tech ss brake lines, Akebono Euro Ceramic brake pads, oem Brembo and Zimmerman rotors, Dinan Stage 1 software, Strong Strut front upper stress bar.

Last edited by 540 M-Sport; 01-07-2011 at 03:32 PM.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 540 M-Sport View Post
The definitions vary depending on what version of Motronic engine management computer is on the car. NOT the engine....
Good point!

People are ending up with the wrong diagnosis (at least for P1624 DTCs) because Bosch (or Siemens?) is using the same DTC to indicate vastly different problems based on the computer on the car!

BTW, I called Ray's Automotive who said that they could get MORE INFORMATION by hooking up their GT1.

I wonder. I really do. Do you believe them?

Assuming the P1624 indicates something as simple as a malfunctioning thermostat (on the particular computer under test), do you think the GT1 really will provide more diagnostic information about the problem?

PS: If all I wanted to do was fix the problem, I'd replace the entire cooling system (I just did that on my car, for example), and I'd replace the entire belt-drive system. But, this thread is about DIAGNOSTICS much more so than the repair itself. Whose diagnostics do you trust - is what this is about.
Old 01-07-2011, 04:12 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 740iL / 2006 X5 4.4
Yes, I believe them. The BMW proprietary equipment (GT-1/MoDiC/DIS) as well as some of the aftermarket software...has the ability to retrieve way more information. The OBD II system only communicates over TXD II circuit and only meets the minimum requirements mandated by the federal govt for OBD II standards.

Communication with the entire BUS system can be done with BMW proprietary equipment (and aftermarket yada, yada). And there's also a breakdown of DTC codes (the 2nd digit) that reveals if the code is a manufacture (specific) code...or a generic SAE code. See the table below for a breakdown of DTC codes:

If the SECOND digit in the DTC code is a 0....then the code is generic...if it is a 1 then it is a manufacture specific code:

BMW proprietary equipment is required to communicate with any component in the BUS system...OBD II connection is limited to (emissions) DME/AGS/EGS/EML:

Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 97 740iL (Arctic Silver) 3/97 mfg date
(SOLD)
99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

http://imageshack.com/scaled/grid240/822/e38e532ndsigpic.jpg

Last edited by QSilver7; 01-07-2011 at 04:14 PM.
Old 01-07-2011, 04:28 PM

Mein Auto: 530i 2003
Quote:
Good point!

People are ending up with the wrong diagnosis (at least for P1624 DTCs) because Bosch (or Siemens?) is using the same DTC to indicate vastly different problems based on the computer on the car!

BTW, I called Ray's Automotive who said that they could get MORE INFORMATION by hooking up their GT1.

Assuming the P1624 indicates something as simple as a malfunctioning thermostat (on the particular computer under test), do you think the GT1 really will provide more diagnostic information about the problem?

PS: If all I wanted to do was fix the problem, I'd replace the entire cooling system (I just did that on my car, for example), and I'd replace the entire belt-drive system. But, this thread is about DIAGNOSTICS much more so than the repair itself. Whose diagnostics do you trust - is what this is about.
The OBD II standards mandate what some DTC codes mean, emissions stuff for sure & maybe safey, I can't recall offhand. Other ranges of DCTs are left open as OEM optional/specific to use as they wish without any restrictions.

On aftermarket codereaders for the OEM specific codes it depends on how rigorous or thorough the codereader manufacturer was when they prepared the look-up tables. DIS is more likely to have his correct every time.

DIS also offers tests to assist finding root cause. For example my car recently stored codes 227 & 228 in the DME (forget the OBD letter + 4 digits x-ref listed.) Described as fuel trim out of range high/low bank 1 & bank 2, IIRC. The DIS test then ran the engine through a cycle of RPM changes and came back saying idle lean, vacuum leak, check crankcase ventilation. Another time I had a headlight aiming error code show up (HID self-leveling.) DIS walked me through a test sequence activating the level adjusters in the headlights to observe range of motion & then observing the level sensor response as I jacked the front & rear of car. It lead me directly to a failed front level sensor.

I'd say Ray's Automotive is correct.

EDIT: Qsilver7 & I were replying in parallel. He is correct & more complete regards DTC structure.
EDIT 2: For those not familiar, GT1 is the BMW diagnostic system (h/w & s/w) DIS is the s/w supplied on a GT1.

Regards
RDL

Last edited by rdl; 01-07-2011 at 04:54 PM.
Old 01-07-2011, 04:31 PM

Mein Auto: 01' 540 M-Sport cdn, F355
Quote:
Good point!

Yes, you can believe them. Up to you, but the one time purchase of the appropriate Bentley workshop manual will give you reference info over and over, rather than one single time, like visiting the shop.
Factory M-Sport package with factory installed M-tech bumpers, factory Bluetooth, factory M-Audio 10" dual voice coil subs, Homelink, M5 rear stabilizer bar, H&R 15mm spacers, Bilstein B14 PSS coil overs, Stop Tech ss brake lines, Akebono Euro Ceramic brake pads, oem Brembo and Zimmerman rotors, Dinan Stage 1 software, Strong Strut front upper stress bar.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 540 M-Sport View Post
the one time purchase of the appropriate Bentley workshop manual will give you reference info over and over
Back at home, I looked up the code in my E39 paper Bentleys and, to my amazement, I found out something I had never noticed before.

As noted in someone's posts prior to this one, there isn't just one "P-Code" table; these "E39 P-Codes" are "computer specific".

For example, page OBD-10 starts with the PCodes for the "M52 engine with the GM5 transmission with build dates 06.01.98 to 05.31.99".

Then page OBD-11 lists the PCodes for the "M54 engine with the GM5 transmission, build dates 04.01.00 to 08.31.01".

On and on these repetitive lists go ...
  • M52 engine, GM5 transmission, 06.01.98 to 05.31.99
  • M52 engine, GM5 transmission, 01.06.99 to 10.31.00
  • M54 engine, GM5 transmission, 04.01.00 to 08.31.01
  • M54 engine, GM5 transmission, 09.01.01 to 08.31.02
  • M54 engine, GM5 transmission, 09.01.02 to ---
  • M52 engine, THM-R1 transmission, 11.01.95 to 08.31.96
  • M52 engine, THM-R1 transmission, 09.01.96 to 08.31.97
  • M52 engine, THM-R1 transmission, 09.01.97 to 08.31.98
  • and on ... and on ... and on.
In fact, it's not until page OBD-26 that we get to the specific (but abbreviated) list of PCodes for my engine, the 2002 525i with the ZF 5HP19 (aka A5S 325Z), listed as the "M54 engine, 5HP19 transmission, 09.01.01 to 08.31.02".

But wait ... there's more!

Page OBD-65 lists an additional set of PCodes for the "M54 engine, with no transmission specified, 09.01.01 to 08.31.02" . Hmmm...

OK. I'm beginning to get the hang of this.

There is NOT one single set of E39 PCodes! There are sets all over the place. Specific (variously) to the engine and the date, or to the engine and the transmission and the date.

Wow. I never knew it wasn't as simple as a single table! Lesson learned.

No wonder when I researched P1624 I got hits for a variety of DTC descriptions!
Old 01-07-2011, 08:18 PM

Quote:
I now know that this statement isn't entirely accurate.

For the E39, if you know what "computer you have" (based on your engine, your transmission, and your build date", then FOR THE E39, the PCode tables are in the E39 Bentleys (in multiple places in the E39 P-Code OBD section).

Yet, for the E46 (which was my dilemma earlier today), even if you know what "computer you have" (based on the engine, transmission, & build date), the E39 Bentley does NOT necessarily have the PCode tables listed.

In fact, MY E39 Bentleys (copyright 2003, covering up to the 2002 model year), AFAIK, do NOT have the P1624 PCode listed for the specific E46 model, engine, and date (M52, automatic, build date 8/99) under observation.

There's so much about E39 PCodes that I didn't know just this morning ...

Note: I use "PCode" and "P-Code" as the Bentley uses them. That is, interchangeably!
Old 01-07-2011, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_n00b13 View Post
but aren't P-codes OBDII?

The PCodes are "powertrain" codes (hence the first character of "P" in P1624).

While a "0" second character indicates the more standard "SAE" PCodes, in my situation today, the "1" second character indicated a "BMW" PCode. The "6" third character indicated an "ECM input/output" BMW PCode.

These "BMW PCodes" are "computer specific", i.e., you have to look 'em up specific to your engine, transmission, and build date. Conflicting information exists depending on which table you look up. This information is NOT in the E39 Bentley (but I presume it would be in the E46 Bentleys, which I don't have).

This morning I didn't know what I know now about P-code interpretations!

Note: I use "PCode" and "P-Code" interchangeably, just like the Bentley does!
Old 01-07-2011, 08:28 PM

Mein Auto: '97 540i/6, '88 528e
Quote:

For the E39, if you know what "computer you have" (based on your engine, your transmission, and your build date", then FOR THE E39, the PCode tables are in the E39 Bentleys (in multiple places in the E39 P-Code OBD section).

Yet, for the E46 (which was my dilemma earlier today), even if you know what "computer you have" (based on the engine, transmission, & build date), the E39 Bentley does NOT necessarily have the PCode tables listed.

In fact, MY E39 Bentleys (copyright 2003, covering up to the 2002 model year), AFAIK, do NOT have the P1624 PCode listed for the specific E46 model, engine, and date (M52, automatic, build date 8/99) under observation.

There's so much about E39 PCodes that I didn't know just this morning ...

Note: I use "PCode" and "P-Code" as the Bentley uses them. That is, interchangeably!
You're complaining that your e39 specific Bentley manual doesn't list out e46 models? Do you understand what the e39 manual is for?
Old 01-07-2011, 08:29 PM

Quote:
If I'm not mistaken, "P" codes are generic OBDII codes.

It seems a more correct statement (I think) would be something like:

"P0" codes are generic PCodes; "P1" codes are specific to the computer used (and listed in the tables by engine, transmission, and build date); and "P16" codes are specific to "ECM inputs and outputs".

Whew! Who knew this, just this morning. Ignorance was bliss.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:45 PM

To summarize, this morning I was ignorant about these two questions:

Q1: WHY am I getting DIFFERENT results for what a P1624 P-Code means?
Q2: Where do I find ENGINE-SPECIFIC BMW P-Codes?

I now (think I) know the answer:

Q1: WHY am I getting DIFFERENT results for what a P1624 P-Code means?
A1: P1 PCodes are specific to the engine, transmission, & build date (i.e., they are specific to the 'computer').

Q2: Where do I find ENGINE-SPECIFIC BMW P-Codes?
A2: Probably not on the Internet!

Probably the best place is the model-specific Bentleys, e.g., for the E39, P1 PCodes will be listed in the E39 Bentleys but E46 P1 PCodes are not listed (in my E39 Bentleys).

If you don't have the model-specific Bentleys ... Lord help you if you have a P1 PCode as I do not know where else to find this information except by extreme luck in Google to find someone who lists the table specific to your 'computer' (i.e., specific to your engine, transmission, and build date).

Wow. I never thought about this in this detail before. Amazing how simple otherwise-confusing things are once you begin to get the hang of it.

NOTE: You're welcome to correct any of my statements or assumptions ... as the intent is to learn and add value to the tribal knowledge for others to benefit as much as for us.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Quote:
MY E39 Bentleys (copyright 2003, covering up to the 2002 model year), AFAIK, do NOT have the P1624 PCode listed for the specific E46 model, engine, and date (M52, automatic, build date 8/99) under observation.
Well... yeah.

My statement is entirely accurate if someone is (correctly) looking up E39 codes in an E39 Bentley, or E46 codes in an E46 Bentley. I mistakely assumed you knew you needed to be looking in the correct one. All the OBD scanners I've used require that I tell them specifically whch car they're looking at (doesn't yours?), so wouldn't it stand to reason this is also true if referencing their respective printed documentation? I'm a bit surprised you made the errant assumption there would be a single static list for all models.
Old 01-08-2011, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanE View Post
You're complaining that your e39 specific Bentley manual doesn't list out e46 models?
Actually, I'm asking & then "explaining"; not complaining.

The key point you have to realize was that BEFORE I opened this thread, I had only seen "P0" codes on my E39. These SAE P0 codes apparently are pretty darn standard ... such that, almost any BMW search found what the P0xxx code indicated.

A P0 DTC explanation for BMW E39 engine1, transmission1, builddate1, in my experience up 'till now, was pretty much the same DTC explanation for the similar E46 engine2, transmission2, builddate2.

The hurdle I had to cross in this thread was that P1 codes are VASTLY different in specificity than P0 codes!

Quote:
looking up E39 codes in an E39 Bentley, or E46 codes in an E46 Bentley. I mistakely assumed you knew you needed to be looking in the correct one.
Indeed. I didn't even realize that was my mistake when I began this thread.

As I said earlier, my experience (up until now) was that a P0 DTC explanation for one BMW was pretty much the same that same P0 DTC for another BMW.

The bestlinks threads even bolstered this opinion ... because they listed "BMW-specific DTCs" as if there was a single BMW table.

In fact, table after table after table simply listed the DTC explanations as "BMW trouble codes".

That's all wrong! (I know that now!).

It's all a matter of the "computer" used (I know now).
And, to make matters more complicated, the DTC explanations in the Bentley are NOT listed by computer ... but by engine/transmission/date trifectas.

So ... I know now ...
  • There are BMW E39 engine1,transmission1,builddate1 DTC explanations ...
  • And there are BMW E39 engine1,transmission1,builddate2 DTC explanations
  • And BMW E39 engine1,transmission2,builddate1 DTC explanations
  • etc.
Furthermore, it goes without saying that
  • BMW E39 engine1,transmission1,builddate1 DTC explanations
    • are the SAME as
  • BMW E46 engine1,transmission1,builddate1 DTC explanations
    • which "could" be the SAME as
  • Mini Cooper engine1,transmission1,builddate1 DTC explanations
    • as long as the "computer" is the same amongst them
This is because, as I now know, the "DTC explanations" are not model specific, nor even BMW-specific. They're not engine specific (per se). They are computer specific.

That means almost all the P1 tables listed in Bimmerfest are potentially useless because none (that I found) specifically listed this information.

To add value, I asked WHERE this information is found ... and to my knowledge, the ONLY answer is inside the Bentleys, but, that is ONLY for the E39.

Lesson learned!
Old 01-31-2011, 04:13 PM

The attached list cross references BMW fault code to DTC P code by module, engine and start to stop date.

Regards
RDL
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BMW-Pcodes[1].pdf (770.5 KB, 776 views)
Old 01-31-2011, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdl View Post
The attached list cross references BMW fault code to DTC P code by module, engine and start to stop date.
Hi RDL,

It's utterly amazing the wonderful information you provide to expand our tribal knowledge! You're a gem!

Here is that wonderfully fantastically complete list of yours, simply converted from a 220-page PDF to 12K lines of text for ease of search.

Note: Since "txt" is not a valid format, I changed the 'txt' to 'pdf' to upload (you should simply change it back once you download the file).

Note: I would have just pasted the results (for easier search by others); but it's 12K lines of text so I figured a text file was the next best thing.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf bmw_pcodes.pdf (606.0 KB, 312 views)
Old 02-01-2011, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Hi RDL,

... stuff deleted ...
, simply converted from a 220-page PDF to 12K lines of text for ease of search.

Note: Since "txt" is not a valid format, I changed the 'txt' to 'pdf' to upload (you should simply change it back once you download the file).

Note: I would have just pasted the results (for easier search by others); but it's 12K lines of text so I figured a text file was the next best thing.
Donna
Thanks for returning the modified file, it's a great help to me. The PDF I sent is password locked & prohibits copying any text from Adobe Reader. I want to copy data for my modules into Excel to enable sorting by DTC & BMW fault code. I couldn't find a method to get past the document password in the PDF editor I have.

This may help anyone wishing to extract and search data ranges
I found that when I opened your file in the defalult *.txt editor (Notepad) I wasn't able to find, sarch and select only the data I wished. However when I opened it in MS Word, all the formating needed to see & select my data is present. I'm off to the races. Surprisingly too. the docx file is 248 kB versus the 607 kB for the txt file.

Thanks.

Regards
RDL
Old 02-01-2011, 01:21 PM

Quote:
The PDF I sent is password locked & prohibits copying any text from Adobe Reader
All you have to do to get past the password is simply read the PDF into a program that doesn't care about the password. Obviously that program can't be from Adobe!

I did it on Linux but you're likely on the Windoze PC. Luckily you can use lot's of freeware PDF readers which don't care about the password. Just one would be GSView but almost all the freeware PDF readers/writers don't care about the Adobe password. Once you have a non-password-protected PDF, you can then do anything with it, even in Adobe tools.

Quote:
when I opened your file in the default *.txt editor (Notepad) I wasn't able to find, search and select only the data I wished.
Hmmmm.... it's just a text file. I did create it on Linux, so, the EOL and EOF markings are different (blame Microsoft if you need someone to blame).

Here is that same text file, created on Windows (which uses different EOL and EOF markers for line feeds). I also removed the 119 blank lines between the headings so that you don't have to.

Since I'm a PDF & Windows/UNIX freeware guru, I forget everyone doesn't know these things (plus what the heck are you doing using "notepad" ... yuck!

I use "vi" on Windows (usually Vim, but Lemmy and WinVi also work just fine) as my default text editor -- way more powerful than anything else on the planet as a text editor). All the "vi" variants allow you to save text files as UNIX or DOS or Windows text files (the difference is in the carriage returns and the end-of-file markers).

Note: This is a TEXT file (not a PDF) so you need to remove the ".pdf" extension after downloading the file (by right clicking on it and saving it).
Attached Files
File Type: pdf new_bmw_dtc_pcodes.txt.pdf (605.9 KB, 256 views)

Last edited by bluebee; 02-01-2011 at 01:56 PM.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:37 PM

Here is just one (of many ways) to read the original PDF into a non-Adobe PDF program on Windows ... and then save it so that you can modify it later.
  1. Download GPL Ghostscript 9.00 for 32-bit Windows (gs900w32.exe)
  2. Download GSview release v4.9 Win32 self extracting archive (gsv49w32.exe)
  3. Optional: Download ps2edit (pstoeditsetup350.exe)
  4. Run each of those installers in the order downloaded above
  5. Bring up GSView by clicking on its shortcut
  6. File->Open->protected_pdf_file.pdf
  7. File->Convert (pdfwrite, 600dpi, all pages, ok)
  8. It will ask for a file name for the new editable PDF file
  9. Wait for the task to complete (it won't always be obvious while it's still working on it)
  10. Voila! An editable PDF file exactly like the original protected PDF file
At this point, you can do anything with it that you want, even open it up in Adobe products. It's the same pdf; just sans any silly password.

For example, in Adobe Acrobat, you can save as JPEGs or as TEXT or RTF (MS Word) or whatever you like to save it as.

Here, for example, is your original file, sans password protection (and no other edits made to the file other than to allow editing and copying and printing, etc.). Also is the text output of that file, without any edits whatsoever on it (output from Adobe Acrobat).

Note: The smaller of the two files is actually a text file so remove the .pdf on the end for use in Windows operating systems.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf unprotected_BMW_PCodes.pdf (1.31 MB, 1235 views)
File Type: pdf unprotected_BMW_PCodes.txt.pdf (641.4 KB, 504 views)

Last edited by bluebee; 02-02-2011 at 10:45 AM.