Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 01-07-2011, 11:47 AM
mrlee

Mein Auto: 325i
Code P0014 nightmare

Hi a few of you know i have had a problem for quiet some time now with my car drawing a P0014 code. I have replaced the seals twice the position sensor twice and now the solenoid and the spring inside. This last time when i replaced the solenoid it seemed to operate correctly for a few starts and then when i was driving it i had like a sudden hiccup and next start later SES light and code is back. Need help bad. Inspection was up in November. Any ideas. I thinking about changing oil.
Ads by Google
Old 01-07-2011, 11:50 AM
ROLL TIDE!

Mein Auto: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Your "B" side cam sensor is toast. Perhaps you are using cheap aftermarket sensors that are known to fail. Get a good OEM unit if you haven't. Either way, changing the oil won't help. Sorry.

Check out my YouTube Channel for DIY's and other fun stuff HERE
Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....
Old 01-07-2011, 07:45 PM
*^^^^^^^^*

Mein Auto: 2002 325i Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeePayrot View Post
Hi a few of you know i have had a problem for quiet some time now with my car drawing a P0014 code. I have replaced the seals twice the position sensor twice and now the solenoid and the spring inside. This last time when i replaced the solenoid it seemed to operate correctly for a few starts and then when i was driving it i had like a sudden hiccup and next start later SES light and code is back. Need help bad. Inspection was up in November. Any ideas. I thinking about changing oil.
Did you replace you EXHAUST solenoid? If not, that's where the problem is. Also switch back to bmw oil if you are using something different and it should be all good.

2 important threads to read:

1. FIRST
2. SECOND

Last edited by Starless; 01-07-2011 at 07:55 PM.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:05 PM
mrlee

I replaced the exhaust solenoid and the symptoms seemed to have went away. The car was idling perfectly. I went to the local advance auto to clear the code and started it back up 5 or 6 times. Still idled and ran good and then on my way home there was a slight shudder and then on the next start SES light was back and rough ide again. Now sometimes the rpms dip or hang out at 1100 for a few seconds when coming to a stop. The solenoid seem to fix the problem and then it didn't. Really has me confused
Old 01-11-2011, 07:52 AM
mrlee

My only thought is possibly the other solenoid. BMW claimed when they diagnosed it that if they werent going to replace the whole vanos unit they would recommend replacing both solenoids because they tend to go in pairs. And I now have alot of strange idling bobs or even high idle when coming to a stop kind like when an intake sensor goes so im wondering if the new solenoid caused the intake one to now fail.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:07 AM
*^^^^^^^^*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeePayrot View Post
My only thought is possibly the other solenoid. BMW claimed when they diagnosed it that if they werent going to replace the whole vanos unit they would recommend replacing both solenoids because they tend to go in pairs. And I now have alot of strange idling bobs or even high idle when coming to a stop kind like when an intake sensor goes so im wondering if the new solenoid caused the intake one to now fail.
Ehh...I'm sure 2 brand new solenoids will do it...but it sucks that you are replacing all these parts to get rid of this pesky code...
Did you change oil? What oil do you have now?

Last edited by Starless; 01-11-2011 at 08:08 AM.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:39 AM
mrlee

Alright guys Pretty sure i found the problem now i gotta figure out the solution. I replaced the other solenoid and no help. So i started searching and searching and i found in a rele old forum that rajaie had posted a way to test the solenoids and the signal to them. So I screwed the old solenoid on the exhaust side to hold the oil in but plugged the electrical connector into the new one i was holding in my hand and started the car. Put my finger on the piston and there was nothing. Then plugged the connector back into the car and repeated the test on the intake side still using the same solenoid. And when i put my finger on the piston was rele hard to press but when i did press it. It would start pulsing and kept doing this for several minutes so i shut the car off and tried the exhaust side again this time i had the pulsing on that side but only for 10-15seconds and then nothing again. So i believe the signal to the exhaust solenoid keeps getting shut off i just dont know why. I checked for a shorted wired but didnt seem to come up with anything. Any ideas guys. My thought was possible DME issue.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:31 AM
mrlee

any ideas....
Old 02-08-2011, 08:55 AM
mrlee

Ok just wanted to update everyone. SES light went off and car seems to be running good aside from when slowing down and a depress the clutch the rpms sometimes dip or bounce a little. Which is probably intake cam sensor due to the cars timing being off. I had a coolant leak which ended up being the expansion tank after i replaced that and the hose to the thermostat the light went off. I believe the leak was causing a loss in pressure causing the thermostat to work inproperly. Drawing the thermostat code i had originally. But I believe the lack of pressure caused issues for the sensor. Because rajaie said that somes times if there is a short or something in the map cooling sensor it can cause this code. I figured i would give everyone an update incase this strange case happens to some one else.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:54 AM

Mein Auto: E46 330i ZHP
Ok, I've read and re-read this thread as well as the two links Starless supplied in post #3. I too am having this issue, but I'll get to the details here in a minute. ----- From what I understand the worn seals in the VANOS assembly won't necessarily cause an error code directly related to the VANOS or the intake/exhaust solenoids. The worn seals may cause an issue which is only translated to the camshaft itself, which is then identified by the intake or exhaust CPS.

Here's my situation:

I just turned over 100K miles on my '04 ZHP. I recently received the DME update because of the "stuttering" issue. I replaced the VCG, all spark plugs with OEM NKG's, and the y-duct upstream of the throttle body which was cracked (and sucking in air). Before I replaced the y-duct the car was idling very rough and the SES light was on. I cleared the P0171 code (System too lean, Bank 1) and the SES light came on again yielding a completely different code. P0171 was gone, but now I'm getting the P0014 code (Camshaft Position Actuator B – Bank 1 Timing Over-Advanced). Idle has stabilized a little, but still very rough. I traded one code for another one…. It's almost as if the P0171 problem triggered a separate timing issue related to the P0014 code.

I have not replaced the VANOS seals, nor have I checked the function of the intake/exhaust actuators, nor have I replaced the intake/exhaust CPS's. ----- Multiple forum threads have addressed this issue and have proposed several solutions, but it is still not clear what appears to be the ROOT CAUSE. There's a lot of ambiguity revolving around the code verbiage. I know the OBDII scanners only give generic codes, but it seems that, under these circumstances, one of us should have narrowed down a likely culprit. Numerous members have reported the new VANOS seals seem to have done the trick, but no one has said the actuators or the CPS's were the root problem. So…. it seems very likely that a simple switch out of the seals on the VANOS assembly will do the trick. Anyone disagree? Anyone have any other suggestions? Ideas?

It's just incredibly coincidental that I perform a bunch of maintenance and then <24 hrs later I get this completely unrelated issue. As a result, I highly doubt the culprit is an electrical sensor (CPS). I've checked/double-checked that all the connectors were put back correctly. I'm leaning towards the VANOS seals.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:03 PM
*^^^^^^^^*

I agree with you on the root cause, it's yet to be found. However there are advantages of starting with vanos seals. Even if it does not help to get rid of the code, the work is not in vain, it will help the performance. But it might very well be the cause as it was in my case as I'm sure you already know. Secondly, doing the vanos is a perfect time to take apart the solenoids and clean them as well as cleaning the electrical connectors of the sensors and the solenoids too. And change the oil too. My P0014 code appeared right after I used Mobil 0W-40 oil in my engine. After I changed the seals and flushed the Mobil out, the code was gone.

One thing is known more or less for sure now, if you get the DrVanos unit, the code will be gone.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:48 AM

I just replaced the seals this past weekend and I've put 75miles on the car. The idle is still rough and the SES is still on. I reset the code last night and the SES came back on this morning. I'm really at a loss here. I refuse to throw money at it when I don't even know it'll work.

LeePayrot had the P0014 code but his root cause was directly related to the coolant error code he was ALSO getting. When he fixed the coolant issue, his timing issue went away.
Starless had the P0014 code also, but his code went away after changing out the seals and cleaning the solenoids.

I've been using Mobil 1 0W-40 and a Mann filter for more than 50K miles. It's impossible for this issue to stem from the type of oil I'm using. At this point, my assumption about the electrical connectors must be wrong, because my issue clearly isn't with the seals.

Does anybody have any helpful ideas?
Old 05-17-2011, 11:39 AM

RESOLUTION:

I didn't want to throw money at the problem, so I took my car to the dealer so they could precisely identify the issue. At that point, I could replace the necessary part to fix the root cause. After some extended discussion with the techs we all felt very confident the issue stemmed from the exhaust solenoid/actuator. ---- So I removed the valve cover and VANOS unit... again. This time I removed the exhaust actuator and immediately noticed the mechanical "solenoid" had completely seized. There was plenty of oil surrounding it, but for some mysterious reason it had frozen in place. I freed it with pliars and put it right back in. It clearly had free range of motion now. ---- Assembled everything and it now works perfectly. Light went off and it now runs smooth as glass.

Just to be clear... The new VANOS o-rings seemingly had no effect on my issue. Yes, the new VANOS piston rings may have some positive influence toward the overall engine's performance, but again, it had absolutely no effect on my P0014 issue. The P0014 code was directly and solely related to the seized actuator.

In hindsight, I'm glad I did all this reasearch... but I would've saved a boatload of time and effort had I just paid attention to the wording on the OBD II code. There's still some ambiguity around the exact language there... but for the most part the OBD II code perfectly identified the root cause. Nonetheless, thanks to everyone for all the help and knowledge. Hopefully, this thread can help someone else.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:35 PM
*^^^^^^^^*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesonD View Post
RESOLUTION:

I didn't want to throw money at the problem, so I took my car to the dealer so they could precisely identify the issue. At that point, I could replace the necessary part to fix the root cause. After some extended discussion with the techs we all felt very confident the issue stemmed from the exhaust solenoid/actuator. ---- So I removed the valve cover and VANOS unit... again. This time I removed the exhaust actuator and immediately noticed the mechanical "solenoid" had completely seized. There was plenty of oil surrounding it, but for some mysterious reason it had frozen in place. I freed it with pliars and put it right back in. It clearly had free range of motion now. ---- Assembled everything and it now works perfectly. Light went off and it now runs smooth as glass.

Just to be clear... The new VANOS o-rings seemingly had no effect on my issue. Yes, the new VANOS piston rings may have some positive influence toward the overall engine's performance, but again, it had absolutely no effect on my P0014 issue. The P0014 code was directly and solely related to the seized actuator.

In hindsight, I'm glad I did all this reasearch... but I would've saved a boatload of time and effort had I just paid attention to the wording on the OBD II code. There's still some ambiguity around the exact language there... but for the most part the OBD II code perfectly identified the root cause. Nonetheless, thanks to everyone for all the help and knowledge. Hopefully, this thread can help someone else.

Let's talk about terminology now. Solenoid is an electro-magnetic valve. What are you referring to as ACTUATOR? A piston behind the valve, right?

This is my picture of exhaust solenoid taken apart. The little piston with a spring is actuator? If it's the case then Rajah mentioned many times to check it for movement.

I'm glad you figured everything out. Your input will help many people.
Old 05-17-2011, 02:05 PM

Starless, thanks for your clarification. Sorry for the confusion with terminology, but ultimately, I think I got my point across about which was which. Ultimately, I was pretty clear that the actuator was the object that seized. ----- You're right, Rajah (and perhaps others) mentioned checking the movement here. I could've avoided a lot of trouble for myself if I had just checked that up front. However, up to this point, it was very clear that several people had performed many different things at one time... As a result, no one could pin-point the solution. I really wanted to explore one solution at a time to minimize independent variables. So I only performed one task at a time, but that omly resulted in multiplying my work... which, in hindsight, was a bad idea. But I certainly prevented from guessing and hoping to stumble on the solution... as many others did.

Look, the fact is I just wanted to say that, unlike anybody else, my P0014 problem was related to a seized actuator. Yes, some people have previously mentioned a "stuck actuator" but I don't recall anyone saying it was the direct source of the problem. Regardless... As I said before, thanks for everyone's help.
Old 05-17-2011, 03:49 PM
*^^^^^^^^*

I just linked this thread to the Wiki because it has a solution and there have been many people recently trying to resolve this code. It's under "vanos failure"
Old 02-27-2014, 08:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 bmw e46 m3
p0014

if this code comes up should the car not be driven. can this be caused by a car sitting around and needs an oil change. and the car has a small coolant leak on the coolant tank. please any one thanks
Old 02-27-2014, 08:12 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyE46M3 View Post
if this code comes up should the car not be driven. can this be caused by a car sitting around and needs an oil change. and the car has a small coolant leak on the coolant tank. please any one thanks
You are responding to a thread from over 3 years ago....please check the dates before posting....

and read the E46 Wiki !

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....