Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 10-10-2011, 05:56 AM
Past Sponsor

Mein Auto:
Execuhitch

For those who have not checked out the Execuhitch Invisihitch system please check out our website www.execuhitch.com and also several informational videos on www.youtube.com keyword: execuhitch

Dean
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	x3 no hitch.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	196.8 KB
ID:	296496   Click image for larger version

Name:	x3 with hitch.jpg
Views:	501
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	296497  
Attached Images

Old 10-11-2011, 06:24 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Audi A4
The BMW hitch kit seems to be in short supply. The BMWUSA website directed me to BMW of Fairfax to buy in the Washington DC area. The installed price on the website is $1184, but when I called yesterday the parts manager says that there are "none available in the US or in Germany."

I also called Tischer BMW, they have the kit listed on their website for $625 uninstalled, but I have not been able to get an installed price quote or feedback on whether they actually have this in stock.

VOB BMW (where I bought the car) quoted MSRP of $700 for the kit plus up to $2000 for installation. The parts manager said this was an estimate based on the standard labor rates and how long the installation instructions in the system said it would take to install. He agree to check with the service manager to see if they could match the Fairfax online quote. I played the "loyal customer" card since we have bought/leased 5 cars from VOB in the past 5 years.

Given the issues with getting a hitch installed, I'm considering going with the BMW roof racks for our bicycles, but I prefer having them on the bumper not on the roof. The last time I had roof racks I drove my 325i into the garage with the bikes still on top!! NOT a pretty outcome for the bikes or the car.

John
Old 10-18-2011, 12:46 PM

Mein Auto: Morgan+8, (EvaGT), X3 F25
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkjjpc View Post
Anyone have any updates on the availability of a hitch for the new X3. We'd like to get one installed so we can use our Thule hitch mounted bicycle carrier.
My F25 was factoy fitted with a tow bar (hitch) and work perfectly with my Thule cycle carrier, garden trailer and horsebox too!
Old 10-18-2011, 01:09 PM
Past Sponsor

Mein Auto:
Execuhitch for f25 x3

Check out www.execuhitch.com and www.youtube.com keyword: execuhitch
Old 10-18-2011, 02:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X3 - waiting
X3 F25 BMW Tow Hitch availability

Hi,

Fairly new here. I have received one tow hitch about 5 days ago--now all I need is the car, a 2012. I was quoted $1300 installed for the hitch and electrics--I'd be suspicious of quotes that are for 600 or 700 to install "it"--what does "it" include? To do the hitch, the entire bumper cover has to come off and for the electric, splices have to be made inside the rear fenders. Then the car has to be recoded to interface the trailer electric with the lighting and to suppress parking distance systems--otherwise, the car will freak out every time you back up, thinking you're about to ram your own trailer.

Gone are the days of bolt-on and splice for a trailer hookup....

I received my hitch after 3 tries--the story went on about how Lots of Ten hitch kits were being released..the first two batches are said to have been taken to fill backorders, then they became available at more typical timings.

looking forward to the new car after driving today's version of a buckboard wagon--2008 Honda Element--what was I thinking?????? http://s1.bimmerfest.com/forums/images/smilies/iono.gif

best

John
Old 10-18-2011, 05:47 PM
Z4 Mvangelist

Mein Auto: 2003 M5-S2, 2002 540iT-S2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna-01 View Post
Hi,

Fairly new here. I have received one tow hitch about 5 days ago--now all I need is the car, a 2012. I was quoted $1300 installed for the hitch and electrics--I'd be suspicious of quotes that are for 600 or 700 to install "it"--what does "it" include? To do the hitch, the entire bumper cover has to come off and for the electric, splices have to be made inside the rear fenders. Then the car has to be recoded to interface the trailer electric with the lighting and to suppress parking distance systems--otherwise, the car will freak out every time you back up, thinking you're about to ram your own trailer.

Gone are the days of bolt-on and splice for a trailer hookup....

I received my hitch after 3 tries--the story went on about how Lots of Ten hitch kits were being released..the first two batches are said to have been taken to fill backorders, then they became available at more typical timings.

looking forward to the new car after driving today's version of a buckboard wagon--2008 Honda Element--what was I thinking?????? http://s1.bimmerfest.com/forums/images/smilies/iono.gif

best

John
3-4 hours of installation time for the Execuhitch, including wiring. Took me 5 for my first try. I'm sure I could do it in 4 or less if I did it again. I'm sure that installing the BMW hitch receiver will take a similar amount of time. 4 hours @ $125/hr = $500. $1300 just to install it is a total ripoff.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:38 AM

Mein Auto: mazdaspeed3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkjjpc View Post
The BMW hitch kit seems to be in short supply. The BMWUSA website directed me to BMW of Fairfax to buy in the Washington DC area. The installed price on the website is $1184, but when I called yesterday the parts manager says that there are "none available in the US or in Germany."

I also called Tischer BMW, they have the kit listed on their website for $625 uninstalled, but I have not been able to get an installed price quote or feedback on whether they actually have this in stock.

VOB BMW (where I bought the car) quoted MSRP of $700 for the kit plus up to $2000 for installation. The parts manager said this was an estimate based on the standard labor rates and how long the installation instructions in the system said it would take to install. He agree to check with the service manager to see if they could match the Fairfax online quote. I played the "loyal customer" card since we have bought/leased 5 cars from VOB in the past 5 years.

Given the issues with getting a hitch installed, I'm considering going with the BMW roof racks for our bicycles, but I prefer having them on the bumper not on the roof. The last time I had roof racks I drove my 325i into the garage with the bikes still on top!! NOT a pretty outcome for the bikes or the car.

John
When u find something can u PM me? I'm Baltimore area and need a hitch asap
Old 10-19-2011, 11:04 PM

Mein Auto: X3 and 535i
terrible service by Execuhitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEAN@EXECUHITCH View Post
Check out www.execuhitch.com and www.youtube.com keyword: execuhitch
To: Dean and Bill at Execuhitch 1400 Upper Hembree Rd Roswell, GA 30076

Dear Execuhitch Team,
I would like to let you know that I am very disappointed with your services. On October 7-th Execuhitch received my return of the trailer hitch for 2011 BMW X3 (FedEx Shipment ID# 997094350070568) that San Francisco BMW dealership refused to install. My numerous calls to the number “Dean direct (404) 316-9840” trying to understand when I will receive my refund are not answered during last 2 (two) weeks. My multiple e-mails to the “customer service” at Execuhitch are not answered either. Before I file a claim with my bank, which is BMW Financial Bank and before I do the same claim with BBB and use all other legal means to protect my consumer rights, I would like to ask you last time to provide me exact date when my refund will be processed.
Slava Adeyev
Old 10-20-2011, 06:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Hello x3and535i ,
too bad to hear about your troubles with Execuhitch. BTW, did you obtain an RMA number before sending back the unit?I am sure you will get your refunds, but they should at least return your call. I am also thinking of purchasing the manual version of this hitch, but will first find a reputable installer before ordering. Good Luck.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:20 PM

Mein Auto: X3 and 535i
Hi,
I would let Execuhitch to respond to these questions. Maybe they can still prove they are a reliable business.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:27 AM

Mein Auto: X3
2011 x3 hitch

Just received word from my dealer in NH that the 2011 x3 hitch has arrived - 2 inch receiver, rated at 3000lbs - pricing around $800 parts and then $400 labor...

Hope to get it on next week,

I did speak at length to execuhitch, who seemed very solid etc, but just decided to wait and go for the BMW version - apparently minimal or no cutting of the rear bumper is involved so there may be a similar design where a piece attached to some sort of base plate...

again, should know by next week!

DocBob
Old 10-24-2011, 11:15 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X3 35i
I was thinking about execuhitch as well but now that the BMW hitch is out I am going with that for sure. It integrates with your BMW and disables PDC automatically when you attach the trailer. Also I saw a screen shot that shows a hitch zoom option in iDrive with the backup camera.
Old 10-24-2011, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colson79 View Post
I was thinking about execuhitch as well but now that the BMW hitch is out I am going with that for sure. It integrates with your BMW and disables PDC automatically when you attach the trailer. Also I saw a screen shot that shows a hitch zoom option in iDrive with the backup camera.
To true Colson + there can be no warranty issues in the event of towbar or intergration issues by sticking to the BMW product.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:50 PM

One of my local dealers actually had 3 hitches! one was already reserved, I reserved one then he had one more. He confirmed no more till end of the month at earliest.

Called all three dealer service centers in my area, all wanted the same for install - $700 parts, $700 installation...

I mean I know it's a pain to get the bumper off but that's crazy.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0mersimps0n View Post
One of my local dealers actually had 3 hitches! one was already reserved, I reserved one then he had one more. He confirmed no more till end of the month at earliest.

Called all three dealer service centers in my area, all wanted the same for install - $700 parts, $700 installation...

I mean I know it's a pain to get the bumper off but that's crazy.

is it me?

The UK price for a factory fitted towbar is only £750. The factory towbar will allow the maximum permissible load to be towed by any X3 (F25). It is fully intragated, involves no aftermarket interferience and there is no danger of the vehicle manufacturers warranty being compromised.

Why are some of you even thinking about spending more of your 'hard earned' than it appears necessary - is the risk necessary, am I missing something here?
Old 10-25-2011, 03:19 AM

I am talking factor/oem hitch- I'm not getting any aftermarket hitch installed
Old 10-25-2011, 01:18 PM
Z4 Mvangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TogMog View Post
is it me?

The UK price for a factory fitted towbar is only £750. The factory towbar will allow the maximum permissible load to be towed by any X3 (F25). It is fully intragated, involves no aftermarket interferience and there is no danger of the vehicle manufacturers warranty being compromised.

Why are some of you even thinking about spending more of your 'hard earned' than it appears necessary - is the risk necessary, am I missing something here?
-What is the tow rating for an X3 35 in the UK?
Old 10-25-2011, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palantirion View Post
-What is the tow rating for an X3 35 in the UK?
The maximum quoted braked trailer weight for the X3 3.5D (that is a diesel not gas engine) is 2400kg, or, approx 5280lbs, i.e. 1kg = 2.2lbs. That said, most diesel engined vehicles weigh more than their petrol engined equivalent; therefore, in Europe a diesel engined vehicle will have a slightly higher towing capacity than it's petrol engined equivalent.

I hope that this is helpful to you and that in future you might like to consider using the 'P' word when requesting information? Good manners cost nothing, unlike BMW ownership.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:23 PM
Z4 Mvangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TogMog View Post
The maximum quoted braked trailer weight for the X3 3.5D (that is a diesel not gas engine) is 2400kg, or, approx 5280lbs, i.e. 1kg = 2.2lbs. That said, most diesel engined vehicles weigh more than their petrol engined equivalent; therefore, in Europe a diesel engined vehicle will have a slightly higher towing capacity than it's petrol engined equivalent.

I hope that this is helpful to you and that in future you might like to consider using the 'P' word when requesting information? Good manners cost nothing, unlike BMW ownership.
"Palantirion"? (j/k) Another example of the societal impact of electronic media and communications, abbreviating our interactions. Point taken. And thanks for the reply.

So the bottom line is that the frame/chassis is capable of towing 5280lbs, with the caveat that engine torque and tow vehicle weight might make towing that weight "iffy" at American highway speeds. Seems like my idea of towing my M Coupe on a lightweight trailer would be perfectly feasible.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:41 PM
Past Sponsor

Mein Auto:
Execuhitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by x3and535i View Post
To: Dean and Bill at Execuhitch 1400 Upper Hembree Rd Roswell, GA 30076

Dear Execuhitch Team,
I would like to let you know that I am very disappointed with your services. On October 7-th Execuhitch received my return of the trailer hitch for 2011 BMW X3 (FedEx Shipment ID# 997094350070568) that San Francisco BMW dealership refused to install. My numerous calls to the number “Dean direct (404) 316-9840” trying to understand when I will receive my refund are not answered during last 2 (two) weeks. My multiple e-mails to the “customer service” at Execuhitch are not answered either. Before I file a claim with my bank, which is BMW Financial Bank and before I do the same claim with BBB and use all other legal means to protect my consumer rights, I would like to ask you last time to provide me exact date when my refund will be processed.
Slava Adeyev
I apologize for the extended period of time it took for your refund. I have been on an extended leave due to emergencies so I was not able to respond or take calls. I was also waiting on a response from your dealer as to their responsibilities on paying for shipping both ways and restocking charges. I will be in office tomorrow and take care of all refunds for you.
Dean
Old 11-17-2011, 02:26 PM
------------

Mein Auto: 2009 Z4 sDrive35i
I had the factory hitch installed yesterday. It is a very clean install, with no cutting into the bodywork and an easily removable 2" receiver. It fits snugly under the rear bumper in front of the muffler and is visible from a distance, but does not protrude when the receiver is removed. The switches have spring loaded trap door covers, and there is a snap-in plastic cover for when the receiver is out.

The receiver pops in and then locks with a twist of a knob, with color coding for correct positioning, and then is key lockable for theft prevention.

Pricey, but nicely engineered. The PDC is modified so that when you have a trailer electrically connected, rear pdc sensors are not active.

Robbie

Last edited by rchaas; 11-17-2011 at 02:30 PM.
Old 11-17-2011, 03:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X3 - waiting
factory X3 hitch

I just took delivery of a 2012 X3 35i. I had the BMW hitch dealer-installed so as to capture it under the full warranty. The installation consists of the hitch and electric, and is no easy job. The entire factory bumper and brackets are removed (I have the pieces) and a modified bumper is installed. There is a bunch of hardware and brackets to deal with. The electric is fairly simple as far as lighting goes, but the car has to be programmed to modify behavior of rear camera and park distance control when a trailer is hitched up---otherwise, system freak out that you're about to hit something...the trailer in this case. There is also a nifty trick with the rear camera wherein it becomes the hitch-to-trailer aiming device.

I have to admit that the center screen being the source of such cues is entirely new and goes against 40 years of driving experience, however, the info is entirely correct and for me, at 76" height, keeps me comfy as I don't have to twist around and duck the ceiling while hooking up. For me the X3 is tight, yet everything is well placed and the sports seats are entirely useful and a good fit--I do not feel cramped at all.

The electric outlets will handle 2 species of connector, one of which I haven't used before--nice weater-proof caps are included. The stump of iron that is the hitch and the piece that reaches under the bumper unhooks easily . With the hitch piece disconnected, the departure angle is virtually untouched, while with the hitch connected that departure angle is only slightly effected. Overall, this is entirely worth the seemingly high cost.

I will have photos soon along with an overview of our X3 which has everything except headlight assist.......

best

luna-01
Old 11-20-2011, 09:26 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
link to picture of BMW hitch on X3

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...9-2d7220f94907

The video will start automatically.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X3 35i
I got the hitch installed last week as well. Total cost was $1,100 which seem kind of high for a hitch but the way it integrates with the X3 makes is worth the price. I think it looks good and it is fairly hidden when receiver until isn't attached. It also integrates really well with the backup camera. I now have a Zoom on hitch option in iDrive while backing up. It makes lining up with the trailer really easy.
Old 11-21-2011, 12:58 PM

I think the cost of the hitch install is ridiculous. My dealer charged me for 6 hours labor so the total came to $1500. I was NOT happy. I think I'm going to start a thread - "post your cheapest local dealer hitch install here" to reward the good places and firebrand the rapists.