Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 11-21-2011, 03:14 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0mersimps0n View Post
I think the cost of the hitch install is ridiculous. My dealer charged me for 6 hours labor so the total came to $1500. I was NOT happy. I think I'm going to start a thread - "post your cheapest local dealer hitch install here" to reward the good places and firebrand the rapists.
6 hours is pretty bad. My total was $1,058 plus tax. I actually waited at the shop while the work was being done and it took them 4 hours to complete. If you got billed for 6 hours they didn't know what they were doing or they are just ripping you off.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:56 AM

Mein Auto: mazdaspeed3
I was so pissed but I called around to other dealers service departments and everyone said it's a 6 hour job.

So either the service departments in Baltimore are all retarded or in cahoots to rip everyone off.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:28 AM

Quote:
I was so pissed but I called around to other dealers service departments and everyone said it's a 6 hour job.

So either the service departments in Baltimore are all retarded or in cahoots to rip everyone off.
Sounds like they are padding the number of hours in your area. I arrived at my dealer at about 8:45 am and I was driving off the lot a few minutes before 1 pm so I know for a fact it can be done in 4 hours. They even washed the X3.

Last edited by colson79; 11-22-2011 at 12:27 PM.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:40 PM
Z4 Mvangelist

Mein Auto: 2003 M5-S2, 2002 540iT-S2
Quote:

4 hours of actual work is 6 hours at book rate with most repair shops, and especially dealerships. The dealerships of course have high labor rates to boot.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X3 - waiting
tow hitch costs

Hi,

If anyone is still looking:

The cost of the trailer hitch is pretty shocking, but there is an explanation:

The cost is figured using BMW's flat rate software, which always overestimates -- that's how they bill 48 hours in a 10 hour day!

But really, the entire butt end of the car comes off and a new bumper is installed, braketry has to be mounted and aligned (yes they align it), and all the skin crap has to be put back. Also of note is that they do the electric as well. Then the car has to be programmed--it's not a one step deal. They have to read into their gear all the vehicle setups, then modify entries governing Park Distance Control and the Backup camera.

I innocently asked to keep the old parts when the dealer did my hitch---I ended up with a big old aluminum bumper wrapped in plastic.

Frankly, I think it gets a bit silly to have to go to these lengths, but they do. If I designed it, the base PDC and Rear camera would have a "trailer yse/no" jumper that engaged when a trailer is plugged in...but I didn't so it doesn't.

By the way did you know your radio plus the pro nav system is a full fledged DVD system? I'm surprised that wasn't coded out and offered as an option. You have to have the radio on and insert a dvd, then you get the dvd menu.

best

Luna-01
Old 11-29-2011, 12:30 PM

Mein Auto: Morgan+8, (EvaGT), X3 F25
I have been following this thread for some time now and could not understand why so many of you are being forced down the aftermarket towbar route. The penny has now dropped thankfully, it's all to do with your petrol engine exhaust systems. Thankfully my desiel engined X3 has the electrically operated foldaway unit fitted.
I am a bit slow sometimes........sorry.
Old 11-29-2011, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna-01 View Post
Hi,

If anyone is still looking:

The cost of the trailer hitch is pretty shocking, but there is an explanation:

The cost is figured using BMW's flat rate software, which always overestimates -- that's how they bill 48 hours in a 10 hour day!

But really, the entire butt end of the car comes off and a new bumper is installed, braketry has to be mounted and aligned (yes they align it), and all the skin crap has to be put back. Also of note is that they do the electric as well. Then the car has to be programmed--it's not a one step deal. They have to read into their gear all the vehicle setups, then modify entries governing Park Distance Control and the Backup camera.

I innocently asked to keep the old parts when the dealer did my hitch---I ended up with a big old aluminum bumper wrapped in plastic.

Frankly, I think it gets a bit silly to have to go to these lengths, but they do. If I designed it, the base PDC and Rear camera would have a "trailer yse/no" jumper that engaged when a trailer is plugged in...but I didn't so it doesn't.

By the way did you know your radio plus the pro nav system is a full fledged DVD system? I'm surprised that wasn't coded out and offered as an option. You have to have the radio on and insert a dvd, then you get the dvd menu.

best

Luna-01
I agree that it isn't a simple install and a lot of parts and time are required to do the install. I am very happy with the hitch and I think it was worth the $1,100 I paid. It is just is a little strange that the installation price and time to install very so much from dealer to dealer. I have seen estimates as high as $2500 and 8 hours of labor.
Old 12-10-2011, 05:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 F25
I installed the Execuhitch and am pleased with it. Now, what to do with the aluminum OEM bumper that I've removed? Anybody out there need it?
Old 12-10-2011, 11:20 AM
Z4 Mvangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by binas_daddy View Post
I installed the Execuhitch and am pleased with it. Now, what to do with the aluminum OEM bumper that I've removed? Anybody out there need it?
+1. Too much nice metal to just throw out!

Btw, are you having good luck with the expanding rivets Execuhitch sent you to replace the one-use BMW ones? Several of mine slipped out after driving because they are a little small and aren't ribbed. I did some research and found that they are Au-ve-co 0162652 12567. Which are good fasteners, but not right for this application. When I called Execuhitch they told me that "BMW" told them they were OEM replacement pieces, but I've been around enough BMWs to know this couldn't be true. So more than likely Execuhitch probably didn't know any better. They certainly do seem to fit well initially. Anyway, I just ordered some expanding rivets that I use on my Z4 MC's front fender liners from penskeparts.com and I think they will be a good OEM replacement.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3
Had the BMW hitch recently installed but when I asked for someone to show me how to remove and remount the 2" receiver, no one there was able to do it. There is a some sort of lock on the side of the receiver that you need to rotate and get the receiver to actually lock in and show the "green" symbol. My dealership concluded it was a bad part and quickly ordered another one only to run into the same problem. Has anyone else run into this issue? I'm still waiting for them to figure it out.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:27 AM

When you install the 2" inch receiver you just slide it in the slot and give it a good push down and it will lock into place. You don't need to rotate the lock to install it. When you remove the receiver you push in and turn the lock to release it. Check out this tread on page 4 http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showth...t=hitch&page=4 someone did a nice walk through with pictures on how to install and remove the adapter.

Last edited by colson79; 12-15-2011 at 11:30 AM.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colson79 View Post
When you install the 2" inch receiver you just slide it in the slot and give it a good push down and it will lock into place. You don't need to rotate the lock to install it. When you remove the receiver you push in and turn the lock to release it. Check out this tread on page 4 http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showth...t=hitch&page=4 someone did a nice walk through with pictures on how to install and remove the adapter.
Thanks for the tip. I'll see what the experts from Munich come up with.....hahaha.
Old 12-16-2011, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavewuver View Post
Thanks for the tip. I'll see what the experts from Munich come up with.....hahaha.
PS: Went to my dealership with the nice photo sequence of how to install and remove the receiver.......worked perfectly. Thanks for the help.
Old 12-17-2011, 02:13 AM

Mein Auto: Morgan+8, (EvaGT), X3 F25
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavewuver View Post
PS: Went to my dealership with the nice photo sequence of how to install and remove the receiver.......worked perfectly. Thanks for the help.
Sorry that this post might be considered to be off thread but it is sort of related. I too experienced the fact that my dealer found it difficult to resolve a problem due to lack of BMW supplied information. In my case even BMW UK had not been supplied with the necessary technical support publications. I suppose that BMW Germany will catch up in time!

Thank goodness for the presence of this forum and the perseverance of our dealers.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
install cost

Quote:
Originally Posted by colson79 View Post
6 hours is pretty bad. My total was $1,058 plus tax. I actually waited at the shop while the work was being done and it took them 4 hours to complete. If you got billed for 6 hours they didn't know what they were doing or they are just ripping you off.
Do you mind giving the dealer name, I'm in wisconsin and looking to have it installed.
Thanks.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:27 PM
Admin Owner Enthusiast
Bimmerfest Founder

Mein Auto: E92 M3 Cp
I have a new trailer hitch installation program for new X3 buyers if you all are interested.

Serving the BMW Online Community Since 1995 The BIMMERFEST "Internet Special"
Old 01-17-2012, 10:52 AM
Past Sponsor

Mein Auto:
After a big move and retooling we are ready to serve you at Execuhitch. Please visit www.execuhitch.com. Website is constantly updated but for best most current info please contact dean@execuhitch.com or call direct with phone number posted on website.
Thanks!
Dean
Old 01-19-2012, 03:11 PM
Past Sponsor

Mein Auto:
Bimmerfest offer

After a big move and retooling we are ready to serve you at Execuhitch. Please visit www.execuhitch.com. Website is constantly updated but for best most current info please contact dean@execuhitch.com or call direct with phone number posted on website.
Thanks!
Dean

As a re grand opening offer to those in BIMMERFEST I will give a 10 percent discount off any hitch and accessory purchase now through the month of February 2012. (does not apply to shipping, handling, and insurance and may not be combined with any other offer)

Jurassicdean is your code word. either mention during phone order or use on website with on-line order.

Dean
Old 01-28-2012, 01:06 PM
Z4 Mvangelist

Dean, I did some due diligence on the replacement wheel arch expanding rivets. The replacement rivets Execuhitch supplied with the kit are actually Au-Ve-Co brand 0162652 12567 Auv 14. They are not ribbed, and thus some will fall out with driving vibrations. The proper replacements are BMW part number 51777171004. These are available from any BMW dealer and the wholesale price is comparable to the Au-Ve-Co. See link below:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...40&hg=51&fg=16

I bought 10 or so of the BMW fasteners at additional expense to finish the installation properly.
Old 02-05-2012, 06:06 PM
Past Sponsor

Mein Auto:
rivets for execuhitch kits

Thanks! I will pass on to my people to try to get them in every kit. I saw where dealers are charging 6 plus hours labor for hitch install. Is this really happening? We charge 2 hours labor for the execuhitch when we do install in our shop in Atlanta. I have been using the site www.bimmershops.com to find quality installers around country for execuhitch. This should be a good source for all installs.
Old 02-22-2012, 02:04 PM
Past Sponsor

Mein Auto:
I would love to know what you haver as far as programming goes. We are manually turning periphery sensors off and if this is a fix I woild love to let all of our customers know.
Thanks! Dean
Old 02-25-2012, 10:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X3
2012 X3 Hitch

If your still interested, I had a hitch installed on my 2012 X3 that I received in mid-January. You can see the details of the hitch on the BMWUSA website under the BMW Owners Manual videos. Its called the BMW X3 Towing & Transport System. The tow weight is rated for 3500 lbs. I bought it for use with a bike rack (Yakima), which I haven't used yet due to the cold weather. The one issue is that the depth of the tow receiver is less that the depth required to match up the holes on the Yakima bike rack. The Yakima requires about a 3" depth whereas the depth of the receiver to hole on the BMW hitch is about 2 3/4 inches, which means that I will need to cut off about 1/4-1/2 inch off the end of the Yakima bike rack to make it fit. I also have a ball insert from a Draw-tite hitch that I had on another car and it is also about a 1/2 in too long for the BMW receiver, so that will need to be cut-down if I ever intend to use the BMW for towing.
Old 02-25-2012, 09:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW x3 35i
Anyone else having problems with the length of the hitch? And that was the BMW hitch not execuhitch?
Old 02-26-2012, 05:15 AM
Past Sponsor

Mein Auto:
Execuhitch is designed to fit exactly on the Yakima racks as well as all standard ball mounts and cargo racks. I believe the issue with the BMW rack has to do with what was available in Europe brought over in a hurry without fully checking out US systems.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRubicon View Post
Anyone else having problems with the length of the hitch? And that was the BMW hitch not execuhitch?
I just bought a new Thule hitch mounted bike rack and it fits my BMW hitch perfectly. No problems whatsoever.