Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 01-08-2011, 06:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 Z3 2.5i
z3 window goes up fine but not down

I seem to be having the opposite problem of most car windows. I went to use my driver's side window the other day and to my surprise it slowly went down with a rubber on glass sort of sound. When I tried to put it back up it zipped on back up fast as ever, although, the safety feature that reverses the window when it hits resistance kicked in a few times. I have observed that the door panels close down on the window as soon as it starts to go down and then pull back apart at the top (the opposite of what it does normally.) While it was cold when this happened I have had it in a heated garage since then and it still does that so i dont think the cold is to blame. I dont know a whole lot about z3 windows so any advice you have would be beneficial. Any idea how I can open my window in under 90 seconds again?
Advertisement
Old 01-08-2011, 10:39 PM
Road Rager

Mein Auto: '06 Z4 SI
Did you try lifting the car upside down?
I hear the world is subject to perspective.

In all seriousness, you'll need to pull off your door panel to properly investigate and repair the issue.

If you're still lost, take some pics or videos and post them here. (After the panel has been removed)
Old 01-09-2011, 04:52 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 98 Z3 // 06 X5
You need to replace the plastic channel guides......$25-30 bucks on ebay. Pretty easy fix..... remove the door panel, spray some WD40 in/on the square plastic window guides and see if it doesn't preform better, then replace them as the WD40 trick won't last long.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 z3
Mine did that to the point of needing help going down, they would even get crooked and hang up. I bought it that way.
I sprayed silicon from a aerosol can on both channels, with the window down, just sprayed enough on the back channel to think it ran down most of it.
Have been working fine to date.