Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 03-26-2012, 10:56 AM

Mein Auto: 06 Porsche C2S cab
Oil pan gasket leak

Dealer told me that the oil pan gasket on my 04 E46 sedan needs replacement. There is a very minor oil leak. Price to replace is $1100. Is this a common leak, and is replacement of the oil pan gasket that complicated? Car has 114k miles on it.
Ads by Google
Old 03-26-2012, 05:42 PM
Living Life At The Beach

Mein Auto: 2004 325 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by keninirvine View Post
Dealer told me that the oil pan gasket on my 04 E46 sedan needs replacement. There is a very minor oil leak. Price to replace is $1100. Is this a common leak, and is replacement of the oil pan gasket that complicated? Car has 114k miles on it.
This link may help. I would be VERY certain that is actually the oil pan gasket, and not the oil filter housing gasket, valve cover gasket, oil separator, or something else that is leaking though. If it is the oil pan gasket for sure, you may be able to just smear some sealant over the area that is leaking after cleaning it, or just leave it alone. I have caused myself some major grief trying to fix something that was not really broken. A small leak is not the end of the world, especially if it is just weeping slightly.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=457789
Old 03-26-2012, 08:43 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 328i, 330ci, R1200C
Quote:
Both of my E-46's leaked to the point I had to change the oil pan gasket. I had a mess inside the reinforcement plate...oil never made it to the ground but the sand and oil made it look like a cat litter box.

The job was a 6 hour job for me... It wasn't too bad, I move slow and kind of enjoy it knowing I am saving $1000 and getting motor mounts too. The engine mounts were pretty smashed, ....but I had 135 and 185 k.

You need an engine support bracket- check out Harbor Freight- to support the engine when you drop the front sub frame, PS pump. I just lowered it, did not remove it like some do...using the jack to support the steering rack so you can get the pan out.

Don't miss the aft most two bolt you need to access through a tiny port in the bell housing.

Use Permatex Hylomar« Universal Blue Racing Formula Gasket Dressing & Flange Sealant where the seams exist on your block. Bentley calls out for 3 Bond Sealant in these areas but Hylomar is recommended in lieu of, as required on (valve cover gasket half moon shaped areas, oil pan gasket flanges etc.) Refer to your Bentley and there are also some good links in this forum:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...oil+pan+gasket

Last edited by QAfred; 03-26-2012 at 08:45 PM.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:16 AM

Mein Auto: 330i BMW
Did you remove the Rack and Pinion? I am waiting for the engine from Harbor Freight. I ordered it 2nd day Air. To Hawaii it is like giving up your first born for this thing. Also on the fitiings going to the Rack and Pinion I have flare tipped fittings. I found a oring on the ground after I was draining the Rack I am thinking this goes on the flared end of the fitting. Is this correct? I am on day 2 still waiting because I don't want to damage anything. I have heard that heartbreaking karack too many times! Aloha...
Old 04-11-2012, 08:26 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 325xi
Quote:

I was successful in stemming the tide of my oil pan gasket leak. I retorqued every bolt I could reach (14 or so out of the 25 or so total). I was able to reach every bolt around where the leak was occuring though. so keep this in mind. Its been two months now and the leak has not returned. Dont know how long it will last but I am willing to find out rather than drop a grand or so for just that right now.

Last edited by GCoop; 04-11-2012 at 08:28 AM.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:57 AM
ROLL TIDE!

Mein Auto: 2004 ZHP Sedan
I did a couple videos on it. Pretty easy all around. Videos aren't a DIY but you can see the tool in action below.....

Check out my YouTube Channel for DIY's and other fun stuff HERE
Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....
Old 04-11-2012, 10:45 PM

Mahalo

Aloha and thank you for responding to my thread. I am still a little in the dark about the oil dip stick tube. There are three rubber oring that seal it in right? That is what the dealer told me when I ordered the orings for replacement. Also I loosened the fitting from the powersteering pump to the rack bcause I figured I had to remove the rack anyway. There was a small oring I found on the ground later and I am thinking it go's on the fitting in rack. MAhalo for all of your help and Mahalo.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:58 PM

Mahalo Gcoop but I already ordered the tool 125.00 and all of the parts. Oil Pan gasket 60.00, Motor Mounts 125.00 O.E., Lower Control arm bushings Urethane 150.00, Oil Level Sensor 100.00, Boots for the Rack 180.00. Peace of mind priceless... This job would have cost me a pretty penny from the stealers. Mahalo Braddah...
Old 04-12-2012, 10:44 AM
ROLL TIDE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusride7 View Post
Boots for the Rack 180.00.
Please tell me you are kidding on this one?

Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Old 04-12-2012, 02:32 PM

I am not kidding

No one here had the boots in stock except for the dealer. I should have waited and bought it from ebay for a fraction of the cost. NAPA had one for 34.95 and on ebay it was 20.00 ea. but I needed it now because I borrowed the tool to remove the tie rod ends from the tool rental guys. I should have bought the boots then rented the tool ahhhhhh. What can I say. Yes Dealer price is here is 96.94ea. so more like 200.00 but I got a discount because the guy felt sorry for me so I got it for 180.00 and some change. I had to order the orings for the oil dipstick tube from them because they did not have them all. There are 3 of them I wonder how much that will set me back... How did you get the dipstick out is there a groove or do you just wiggle it out. I am still waiting for the tool brace from harbor freight. Due in Tommorow... Aloha Brada
Old 09-11-2013, 12:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 330i
Im fairly certian my oil pan started leaking causing an even bigger oil leak than was already existing due to small leaks from my valve cover gasket and oil filter housing gasket. If its the oil pan thats causing the increased leak, should I really care? I was thinking the gaskets started getting worse, but now i know its the oil pan. Do I really need to have my oil pan sealed. Seems like it just holds the oil anyways.... Id rather deal with the leak for a few months until I get a new car at the end of the year (4 months away). Oppinions on this anyone?
Old 09-11-2013, 01:49 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raviison View Post
Im fairly certian my oil pan started leaking causing an even bigger oil leak than was already existing due to small leaks from my valve cover gasket and oil filter housing gasket. If its the oil pan thats causing the increased leak, should I really care? I was thinking the gaskets started getting worse, but now i know its the oil pan. Do I really need to have my oil pan sealed. Seems like it just holds the oil anyways.... Id rather deal with the leak for a few months until I get a new car at the end of the year (4 months away). Oppinions on this anyone?
A friend of mine is a full time BMW mechanic. He has a saying that goes like this:

"Wanna know when your BMW is low on fluids?" "when it stops leaking".

In other words, they ALL leak something, somewhere, sooner or later.

Unless you loose an obscene amount, I say let it ride.

Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Old 09-11-2013, 02:41 PM

Oil leak

The rule of thumb is. If your car is 10 years or older and it leaks less than 1 quart a month it is normal.

Me personally half of that and I strat tearing things apart. That does not meet my standard.
Old 03-07-2014, 04:04 PM

Mein Auto: ED 330i
I was just told I need an oil pan gasket to fix a leak (approx 1 quart over 3 months) the initial quote was $1600 but was quickly discounted 25% through "value pricing". Sounds like this is not a necessity until it becomes a bigger leak? I put $3k into the car last year and re-considering whether it makes sense just to replace it as the maintenance is beginning to add up. It is 8 years old and has 93k miles
Old 03-07-2014, 04:16 PM

Aloha

Yes, but remember all of that oil is flying around under your vehicle as you drive. A lot of things have to came off to get to tahe oil pan gasket. I wish you well my friend.
Old 03-07-2014, 04:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boraxo View Post
I was just told I need an oil pan gasket to fix a leak (approx 1 quart over 3 months) the initial quote was $1600 but was quickly discounted 25% through "value pricing". Sounds like this is not a necessity until it becomes a bigger leak? I put $3k into the car last year and re-considering whether it makes sense just to replace it as the maintenance is beginning to add up. It is 8 years old and has 93k miles
$1,200? That's too much.

Shop around for some reputable shops. Also, make sure it's your oil pan gasket. It could be a number of different things leaking.

2014 WORLD CUP CHAMPIONS!!!

TIAG 328I ZPP

DIYs: Vanos Oil line, Water Pump w/ Pulley, Radiator Hoses, Valve Cover Gasket, Belts, FSU/FSR, Rear Wheel Bearings, Sway Bar Links, M1 0W-40 oil changes
Old 03-08-2014, 06:23 PM
ROLL TIDE!

90% of rear main seals leak after 100k miles. Even if you repaired the oil pan gasket, it won't stop the rear main. Let it ride.

However, I have replaced an oil pan a couple times, it is easy. Videos of front subframe removal on my youtube page. It is roughly 8 bolts to get access.

Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Old 03-20-2014, 03:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 325e
Rear engine seal repair average 2001 325e