Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 10-20-2014, 04:35 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 325xi
What is this part?

This weekend I did the PITA DIY to replace the CVV on my car (if it fails again I'm not doing it again) and thought I damaged a wire. This cable originates from the wiring box and only has a single brown wire that goes to the connector. I'm sorry if the picture is not the best but I'm just curious to know what this single wire cable goes to. I always thought at a minimum anything electrical would require two wires but this one did not and I thought I broke the other wire during my battle with the CVV install. In the end, the car is not throwing any errors or codes so I'm assuming this is supposed to be this way. Anyone have a clue what this is? Again, the picture is bad I know... the space was limited and the flash didn't illuminate the area well enough.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	e46_connector.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	470843  
Advertisement
Old 10-20-2014, 04:41 AM
Some Fat Guy

Mein Auto: 2000 328Ci
Brown wires are usually Grounds, but I'm sure some of the CVV experts can confirm that.
Old 10-20-2014, 02:06 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
. ooops.
Old 10-20-2014, 05:47 PM
Rambling Wreck

Mein Auto: E46
The connector for the oil pressure switch has a single wire. Check the back of your oil filter housing.
Old Yesterday, 09:51 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by G. P. Burdell View Post
The connector for the oil pressure switch has a single wire. Check the back of your oil filter housing.
This sounds highly probable. I'll have to double check under the hood to confirm. Thanks for the feedback Burdell and everyone else as well. Much appreciated.
Old Yesterday, 05:09 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: ist schnell! (03 330i SC)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dki378 View Post
This sounds highly probable. I'll have to double check under the hood to confirm. Thanks for the feedback Burdell and everyone else as well. Much appreciated.
Oil pressure sensor comes to mind for me as well. The wiki has a chart that shows where each connector should go, BTW. I'm sure you'll find the vacant plug-mate with a little looking around.
DIY On deck: Rear Diff bushing. UUC SSK, clutch job eventually, Wavetrac LSD