Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 02-02-2015, 08:16 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 323i Automatic
Help with 1999 323i

Hello, I just bought my 1999 BMW 323i. Now I have a few things wrong with it that I need help with. I got the codes P1250 p0442 p0340 p1421p1423 p0173 p0441 p1188 p1250. Also my check engine light is on, and a yellow ABS light along with a red BRAKE light even though the e-brake is off. Also my speedometer isn't working along with my mileage and the temperature says -40. Also my RPMs idle at 1. Can someone help me with anything?
Advertisement
Old 02-03-2015, 07:09 AM
Administrator

Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
Welcome to Bimmerfest! I've moved your question to the E46 3 series forum, you will get more help in here. It sounds like you've got some major issues, sorry. Did you have the codes cleared to see which ones come back? The ABS and brake light issue sounds like a wheel speed sensor issue, search around for details on that. There should be a code to tell you which one(s) are bad. Did anything happen to the car before this all started?

Tim
Old 02-03-2015, 07:49 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: ist schnell! (03 330i SC)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joejoebeltran View Post
Hello, I just bought my 1999 BMW 323i. Now I have a few things wrong with it that I need help with. I got the codes P1250 p0442 p0340 p1421p1423 p0173 p0441 p1188 p1250. Also my check engine light is on, and a yellow ABS light along with a red BRAKE light even though the e-brake is off. Also my speedometer isn't working along with my mileage and the temperature says -40. Also my RPMs idle at 1. Can someone help me with anything?
Sounds like you bought a winner!

Just jabbin. All 15 year old bimmers will need to have had a boatload of maintenance to not be in the same postion.

It would help if you could list the codes in a column list and put a description next to each, as some of these are pretty common if i recall correctly and can be advised upon without research by the more knowledgeable folks.

It's probably 3 or 4 things that need attention and may not be that serious.

You can also peruse the e46 wiki for advice on some of these codes in addition to any replies you'll get here.

i know 173 is a lean code, usually due to a vacuum leak (crack in intake boot) or low fuel pressure. I believe 1250 has to do with the fuel tank breather valve (behind the steering fluid reservoir).

e46 wiki: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...05#post8014505
DIY On deck: Rear Diff bushing. UUC SSK, clutch job eventually, Wavetrac LSD

Last edited by ahull; 02-03-2015 at 07:50 AM.
Old 02-03-2015, 10:03 PM

I have just bought the car and from my understanding it was rear ended. However, all the major problems have been fixed with that. I have recently put in a new starter and fuel pressure regulator. These are the details of the codes I'm getting.

1. P1250- fuel pressure regulator control (recently replaced)
2. p0442- Evaporative Emission System Leak Detected Small Leak
3. p0340- Camshaft Sensor Inlet Signal
4. p1421 and p1423- Secondary Air System, bank-1 and bank-2.
5. p0173- Fuel Trim Malfunction (Bank 2)
6. p0441- Tank Venting System Function
7. p1188- unknown.

If I could get advice on what to replace to fix these codes that'd be great.
Old 02-03-2015, 10:19 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Before you do anything else, have the rear end checked carefully for subframe mount cracking/separation. It was most likely to happen on the earlier-model E46s (like yours).

*Please support the Disabled American Veterans*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 02-03-2015, 10:49 PM

Did that, everything checks out fine.
Old 02-04-2015, 01:26 AM

Mein Auto: 02 X5 / 02 525 / 98 323
Outside temp -40 degrees display, read this thread.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...021&highlight=
Old 02-04-2015, 07:37 AM

Quote:
I have just bought the car and from my understanding it was rear ended. However, all the major problems have been fixed with that. I have recently put in a new starter and fuel pressure regulator. These are the details of the codes I'm getting.

1. P1250- fuel pressure regulator control (recently replaced)
2. p0442- Evaporative Emission System Leak Detected Small Leak
3. p0340- Camshaft Sensor Inlet Signal
4. p1421 and p1423- Secondary Air System, bank-1 and bank-2.
5. p0173- Fuel Trim Malfunction (Bank 2)
6. p0441- Tank Venting System Function
7. p1188- unknown.

If I could get advice on what to replace to fix these codes that'd be great.
You're clearing these and this is what's coming back, right?

You def. have issues with the fuel systems. Probably explains the p0173 too. Go to realoem.com, put in your car's dets or last 7 digs of vin, and look under fuel supply to get a picture of all the parts in the ventilation system. Also search here on charcoal canister to see pictures of where all this is located and what it looks like. Check for leaks or broken lines. Also check to make sure the gas cap is sealing.

All that ^^ means you may still have issues after the rear ending since it's near the back of the car.

Also on realoem look under fuel preparation for "fuel supply" and you'll get a picture of the 3/2 valve and fuel pressure regulator. Later e46s with the m54 engine have a different setup so I'm not as familiar with the 3/2 setup.

EDIT: the breather valve is under fuel prep/fuel injection system, for reference

Note that part numbers are there to be used in a search if you ever need to start throwing some parts.

1188 is fuel control bank 1. guessing it's related to the other fuel errors.

-Secondary air has a great link in the wiki. Should be unrelated to the fuel system issues.

Cam sensor....... they do fail, maybe search on that particular code. otherwise check the connection and wiring for tight/clean/undamaged. last resort just replace the sensor and hope that works. again, they do fail and yours is old. make sure you get a good one from a dealer or high quality part vendor. furiousmethod.com can help find it at site sponsors.

Last edited by ahull; 02-04-2015 at 07:43 AM.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:52 AM

Do you think these are causing me to have a bad gas mileage? Also, the other day I filled my tank up completely until the pump stopped and when I got home gas was pouring out of the top of the gas tank and eventually stopped. What do you think is the cause of this? And should I be concerned with the RPM idelling at 1000?
Old 02-04-2015, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Do you think these are causing me to have a bad gas mileage? Also, the other day I filled my tank up completely until the pump stopped and when I got home gas was pouring out of the top of the gas tank and eventually stopped. What do you think is the cause of this? And should I be concerned with the RPM idelling at 1000?
Could be. That's not good. Related: Pre-cat converter oxygen sensors are also supposed to be changed somewhere around 100k and they'll crap your mileage when they get weak. You should have 2 visible on the exhaust manifold right next to the engine.

The overflowing of the tank may ruin the charcoal canister. You've definitely got something screwy in your tank vent/evap system. Something may not have been put back together right back there. I don't really have any experience to speak from, just interpreting your codes and speculating.
Old 02-04-2015, 10:19 AM

This all makes so much sense! Thank you for all your answers! I'll definitely look into all these things.