Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 03-15-2014, 03:35 PM

Mein Auto: E46 325i
E46 325i 2002 LOSING OIL

Hello people, I need advice/help.

I own a E46 325i 2002 sport. Nice car, great to drive, had it 6 months, gave the engine a flush and oil change as soon as I bought it, plus the sparks. Got a couple of problems, don't know if they are related.

Car has a slight hesitation pulling away, revs die a bit at low revs but if I over rev when pulling away in 1st and reverse, it drives fine. No problems when im moving

Second, my oil light came on today, i've noticed creamy residue on the filler cap. I do a lot of very short journeys and i've read this is not unheard of. But the oil loss is unexplained and quite severe for the amount of miles I have done, less than 2000. No external leaks. I'm going to check coolant tomorrow when its light to see if that's dropped. I've done a bit of googleing and it seems it could be CCV (what ever that is) or head gasket.

I'm not a rich man and cant afford to take it into bmw and let them have my pants down so if any body has any knowledge or similar experiences they can share at least I can try and get it fixed first time!

Cheers.
Ads by Google
Old 03-15-2014, 04:05 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: ist schnell! (03 330i SC)
Youve found good info so far. CCV is A known refresh point on these cars at 80k miles n above. Read about it in the e46 wiki. Oil separator/crankcase vent CCV.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho....php?p=8014505

Could be the cause of both your issues.

A good indie mechanic with bmw experience can do the CCV job. Hell, many of us have DIYed it so its very doable with some mech skill. Otherwise about 150 in parts and 3-4 hours labor. Make sure dipstick tube drain is cleaned out too- that's a clog point.
DIY On deck: Rear Diff bushing. UUC SSK, clutch job eventually, Wavetrac LSD

Last edited by ahull; 03-15-2014 at 04:14 PM.
Old 03-15-2014, 05:44 PM
The one and only

Mein Auto: 2002 330i
For a high rate of oil loss such as 1qt/500 miles the CCV is the culprit unless you have severe leaks or a bad head gasket, etc
Old 03-15-2014, 07:53 PM

Mein Auto: '04 330Ci 6-speed
Did you measure the amount of your oil loss and let us know? Or tell us the mileage on this car? Or do you have a service history for the car.
History of previous ownership? All these things help us focus in.

Could have been sold a car with bad valve stem seals or oil rings are shot. There are symptoms and tests for these.

EDIT: nobody rich buys a 12 yo e46, but the parts prices stay the same anyway. And must have working parts to drive.

And yet, I run 5W-30 syn and at 100K burn almost no oil. ACEA 5 works fine for me.

Last edited by GoForthFast; 03-15-2014 at 09:26 PM.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:02 PM

Mein Auto: E46
Using the correct spec oil? And no, 5W30 syn is NOT a valid answer.
Old 03-16-2014, 03:52 AM

Mein Auto: E46 325i
Hi everyone. Thanks for your responses.

Ill try and answer the questions. Oil im using is Carlube Triple R 5w 30 fully synthetic, sorry Olga but that's all I know! Just over 6.5liters was put in when changed, I was there when he did it. I've just checked, I put about a litre in late last night and that seems to have topped it up to just over what went in so ive lost that much.

I do use an independent, he's been fixing my cars for 14 years.

Coolant looks fine, the plunger end is just at the top of the filler cap which I believe is on the minimum, cold. So I don't think ive lost any.

Car has done 125k miles and previous owner was not a big believer in services! I got the car cheaper because of this 2300, so I knew id have some issues and i've not spent much on it so far other than general service stuff and the front wishbone bushes. It was a risk but one ive not regretted...yet.

Cheers.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:30 AM

Mein Auto:
The oil should say "BMW LL-01' on the container. Thus the specs that BMW states that the oil has to meet. Ask the shop that changed your oil about the oil.

You need to stop taking short trips and get your bimmer (USA) out on the highway for at least 30 minutes a week. Don't put the tyranny in overdrive. This will make sure the engine (and driveline) reaches full operating temperature. These cars like high speeds and high engine revs.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 03-19-2014, 08:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 325Ci Convertible
E46 325i 2002 LOSING OIL

Take your spark plugs out and look at them. If they are oily, good chance you have a leaky valve cover gasket. If that is the case you can replace the gasket for about $30 in parts. and replace the plugs too.
The gasket gets dry and brittle after a while.

Old 03-19-2014, 10:49 PM

Mein Auto: E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcozandrini View Post
The oil should say "BMW LL-01' on the container. Thus the specs that BMW states that the oil has to meet. Ask the shop that changed your oil about the oil.

You need to stop taking short trips and get your bimmer (USA) out on the highway for at least 30 minutes a week. Don't put the tyranny in overdrive. This will make sure the engine (and driveline) reaches full operating temperature. These cars like high speeds and high engine revs.

Or meets ACEA A3, B3. Most XW30's only meet ACEA A1