Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:46 AM

Mein Auto: X5 3.5D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stussy109 View Post
Owners manual suggests for snow or sand to turn DSC ( press button once, dont hold it) down to "traction mode" you'll see it on your dash come up as traction. i drove through the same condition with the X5D and didn't experience anything like you are describing with similar Torque as your vehicle, and the 18" All seasons. For general driving practice, (I drove in buffalo NY for 8 years) on turns with snow, you take it real easy and avoid braking or giving too much gas. Straight aways you can almost drive normal but try to avoid the deap snow ruts which can pull your car off into deeper snow which is no good.
What it refers to should be DTC - Dynamic Traction Control. It is a version of DSC. It does help when driving in the snow or sand when DTC is on.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:00 AM
Sup3rman

Mein Auto: '11 E90 AW M3/ '11 AW X5d
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
o m g
SRSLY.

I'm pretty sure it's the way the car is being driven. I've been driving in snow the past few days, and yesterday we just got 6+ inches. No problems at all, handles very well, and I'm sure could do a bit better with snow tires - but I had no problem at all with the A/S and 6 inches of snow. Not starting, not turning, not braking. You have to drive appropriate to the conditions on the roads. In other words, slow down. If you're sliding around corners, you're just plain driving too fast.

2007 335i Coupe - 6MT Alpine White/Saddle Brown ED 5/23/2007 (retired)

ED Trip Report W/ Pics (And Engagement Story/Pics)
Old 01-11-2011, 11:02 AM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Mein Auto: 535i M Sport; 328i Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stussy109 View Post
Owners manual suggests for snow or sand to turn DSC ( press button once, dont hold it) down to "traction mode" you'll see it on your dash come up as traction. i drove through the same condition with the X5D and didn't experience anything like you are describing with similar Torque as your vehicle, and the 18" All seasons. For general driving practice, (I drove in buffalo NY for 8 years) on turns with snow, you take it real easy and avoid braking or giving too much gas. Straight aways you can almost drive normal but try to avoid the deap snow ruts which can pull your car off into deeper snow which is no good.
Owner's manual is remarkably uninformative given the number of pages.

Turning off DSC helps you GET STARTED in deep snow or soft sand. It does nothing to improve traction while under way, and will actually hurt your cornering ability.

Three facts I can't emphasize often enough - not theroetical but proven during 8 years of driving 4 different X5's through New England winters (not to mention the XC90 and assorted Grand Cherokees that preceded those):
  1. All season tires are a COMPROMISE that do a MEDIOCRE job in all conditions. They may feel like they accelerate as well as winter tires, but they absolutely, positively will NOT corner or brake as well. Body shops love the fact so many people are riding on them.
  2. You will go through AT LEAST TWO SETS OF TIRES during the time you own / lease your X5. It costs NO MORE to make one of those a set of winter tires (in fact, it's often cheaper, especially if the winter tires are not RFT's).
  3. The most enjoyable and SAFEST combination, is a set of summer performance tires mounted on one set of wheels, and a second set of winter tires mounted on another set of wheels. By having two mounted sets, you will save anywhere from $200 to $500 per year in mounting and balancing costs. You have a "full size" spare to use in emergencies, so you don't need to ride on the donut spare for long. And when you are done driving the X5 you can sell the extra set of wheels on eBay, Craigslist and Bimmerfest.

Seriously, if you want to be safe, and get the most out of your $60,000 or $70,000 ride, let the moths out of your wallet and buy a set of winter wheels and tires!

PS All this talk about "snow", don't forget about ICE. Black ice is a much more dangerous proposition than a couple inches of the white stuff. Many (most?) winter tires have compounds optimized for traction on ice. All seasons do not. The problem isn't so much getting going as it is turning and stopping.

Current BMW's:
2014 535i MSport Space / Black, ZCW, ZDA, ZLP, ZLS, ZPP, H-K and 704
2014 328i Sport Wagon, Glacier / Black, ZSL, ZD2, ZD3, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, and H-K

Prior BMW's
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic

Last edited by quackbury; 01-11-2011 at 11:08 AM.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:11 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E60 M5,
My X5 came with 20' RFTs and I bought a set of Bridgestone AS tires and 19'rims that were take offs at the dealer for winter use. The first 4 inch snow convinced me to go with Blizzaks. Just had 10 inches over the last 48 hours and no problem. It helps if you know how to drive in the snow though.

M DREI und M FUNF at ElkHart Lake

Current Fleet
14 Audi S4 - Sons daily driver
13 C63 AMG. Coupe Devlpmnt Pkg 12 Sept. ED Delivery
12 K1600 GT One Lap of America-Sold
11 X5d (X Funf) ? PDC Delivery
10 C300 4Matic ED Delivery
05 E500 4Matic ED Delivery
01 M3 (M DREI) Sunny Sunday Service
01 Honda RC51 Sons Bike
99 Ducati ST 2 My Bike
95 Suburban 2500 Heavy Duty Mule
67 Mini Cooper S Just Makes You Grin
60 Triumph TR 3 - X 2
Old 01-11-2011, 12:51 PM

Mein Auto: X5
[QUOTE=
Seriously, if you want to be safe, and get the most out of your $60,000 or $70,000 ride, let the moths out of your wallet and buy a set of winter wheels and tires![/QUOTE]

Old 01-11-2011, 05:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 SAP
What are your opinions on getting 255/55/18 as dedicated snow tires for a 2011 3.5I X5 SAV? I know 19" are probably best for the apperance, but you think 18" are bit ugly for the Sports activity version?
Old 01-11-2011, 06:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW X5 35i
This thread concerns me. I drove my 07 X3 with A/S in tons of snow from DC to New England, including last year's blizzard, with no problems whatsoever. The traction was perfect. If the X5 does not handle as well -- no real snow yet to speak of to test it out -- I'll be seriously disappointed.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:27 PM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionfish View Post
What are your opinions on getting 255/55/18 as dedicated snow tires for a 2011 3.5I X5 SAV? I know 19" are probably best for the apperance, but you think 18" are bit ugly for the Sports activity version?
My 35D Sport is riding on 18's now, and they are fine. So much salt on the bloody thing right now, who can tell if the wheels are skinny? Ride, handling and traction are all superb.

Current BMW's:
2014 328i Sport Wagon, Glacier / Black, ZSL, ZD2, ZD3, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, and H-K

Prior BMW's
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic
Old 01-11-2011, 07:58 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdnrockies View Post
LOL!

So you're telling me you bought a $60K SUV and are concerned about the difference of less than $1000 at the end of your lease.

Guess that $800 is more important than being safe....both you and the motorists around you.

This thread is total FAIL.
Never had an accident or speeding ticket *knock on wood*...I grew up driving Bentleys, Aston Martins, Ferraris and even a Bugatti as of last year. I'd say I have more experience in cars/trucks at 22 than most people here. I just can't repair them...

Quote:
Is the OP a lifelong, experienced winter weather driver? Who is having issues with this car in the snow?

Or does he really not have a solid feel for what low-traction driving should feel like?

This "RPM Spike" thing he keeps repeating is bizarre... Sounds like someone driving an Xbox and wondering why when you press the fast pedal 1/2 way the car doesn't move at 1/2 speed....

Sounds like someone describing driving on snow that has never driven on snow.... just saying.

The car is quite sub par. I watched that youtube video of the x5m on the ski slope and they seem to make it out as if fishtailing is fun! Sure it gets you up the hill but is quite a challenge. Then watch a video of range rover, rarely spins or loses control just crawls ahead.

The x5 does not have snow settings which sucks, my car is running as if the road conditions are normal and by the time it realizes there is a slick surface its too late!
Old 01-11-2011, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlon View Post
This thread concerns me. I drove my 07 X3 with A/S in tons of snow from DC to New England, including last year's blizzard, with no problems whatsoever. The traction was perfect. If the X5 does not handle as well -- no real snow yet to speak of to test it out -- I'll be seriously disappointed.
its fine, like most said drive slow and you will be fine! But 6-7 days after snow and a toyota going 40 mph on a back road and my x5 spins out with my wheels enter that bit of snow in the shoulder feels unsafe.

Don't get me wrong, the car is quite epic and I feel that if I had snow tires it would be better. BUT I am not driving 2+ hours in the snow ever.......

My only complaint is we need a damn snow button on this car. Switch between elements..
Old 01-11-2011, 08:02 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlon View Post
This thread concerns me. .

SRSLY?

Wouldn't you figure if this were a trait of BMW X5s there might be more than the one single post on this????
Old 01-11-2011, 08:09 PM

Quote:
SRSLY?

Wouldn't you figure if this were a trait of BMW X5s there might be more than the one single post on this????
Will report back tomorrow morning with 12+ inches on the road and see what happens.

I never get stuck, but if I throttle too hard I spin out. BMW should have put snow mode on the car.

Jeep has it and from what I hear its fairly epic.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:13 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35d; 750Li; IS F
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsonitep View Post
Never had an accident or speeding ticket *knock on wood*...I grew up driving Bentleys, Aston Martins, Ferraris and even a Bugatti as of last year. I'd say I have more experience in cars/trucks at 22 than most people here. I just can't repair them...
....or drive them in the snow.

'11 750 Li Xdrive Alpine White
'10 X5 35d Space Grey
Old 01-11-2011, 08:22 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsonitep View Post

Jeep has it and from what I hear its fairly epic.

'Epic' kick tonight?

22? As in you are 22 years of age? And you've grown up someplace warm?

You don't now how to drive in the snow.

Someone lock this thread....
Old 01-11-2011, 08:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW X5 35i
Quote:
SRSLY?

Good point.

Though, I have to say, I have noticed the car "jump" to the side (sort of I'm in one spot and then in another) when I've hit a few normal sized potholes in DC on dry roads. Never had that happen in a vehicle before (run flats?), so it doesn't inspire confidence in the snow.

Last edited by Tlon; 01-11-2011 at 08:29 PM.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:24 PM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Hey guys, the flame-o-meter is pegged tonight. Samsonitep may be a young guy, but he's hardly a newbie, and for the most part he seems like a pretty decent guy.

P, you need to realize that you are a statistical outlier here. Everyone who's flaming you has an X5, and none of them (nor I) have any trouble controlling ours in the snow. So something is wrong with your picture. It may be the tires, it may be the driver's experience or his exuberance, it may even be a bad sensor in the DSC that for some reason is not throwing a code, but it is not the engineering of the car.

The X5 does have a winter switch. It's located between the driver's ears. If you are getting borderline out of control, it's because you are driving too fast for the tires or the road conditions - if it was a common problem, you'd have a bunch of folks chiming in and saying "me too." There's a reason why that's not happening, and it's not (just) because ard forgot to take his happy pills today. (And Cdnrockies? Well he's a Canuck, so there's no telling why he's mad at the world. Maybe he ran out of Molsons, maybe he's p*ssed because there is no real football in Canada, or maybe he lost a curling match or suffered some other uniquely Canadian personal calamity today. But try and cut him some slack, because our good neighbors to the North are protecting us from rabid polar bears and rampaging bands of Inuit. They're mostly okay, even if they did send us Celine Dion).

The guys driving the X5M on the ski jump are fishtailing because it's FUN - you should go winter rallying or ice racing some time and you'll understand. (Or just do some big sloppy figure 8's in a parking lot tomorrow - then try and tell us you don't have a sh*t eating grin). And your inference that you don't need snow tires because you will never drive 2 hours in the snow makes absolutely zero sense. Most of my winter trips (ski racing venues excluded) are 30 minutes jaunts to the train station, supermarket, etc. and I wouldn't dream of driving any car in a New England winter without 4 wheel snows. (Well, maybe a rental - but it would have CDW).

Sounds like money is no object, so please: go out and buy yourself some snow tires and see what your X5 was designed to do in these conditions. I agree with ard and Cdnrockies onthat score.

Current BMW's:

Prior BMW's
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic

Last edited by quackbury; 01-11-2011 at 09:33 PM.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:42 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35d; 750Li; IS F
Quote:
Originally Posted by quackbury View Post
(And Cdnrockies? Well he's a Canuck, so there's no telling why he's mad at the world. Maybe he ran out of Molsons, maybe he's p*ssed because there is no real football in Canada, or maybe he lost a curling match or suffered some other uniquely Canadian personal calamity today. But try and cut him some slack, because our good neighbors to the North are protecting us from rabid polar bears and rampaging bands of Inuit. They're mostly okay, even if they did send us Celine Dion).

Sounds like money is no object, so please: go out and buy yourself some snow tires and see what your X5 was designed to do in these conditions. I agree with ard and Cdnrockies onthat score.

No shortage of Molson's in my fridge my friend....and wtf are you talking about football. Playoff time baby! Only calamity today was waiting for the elk to cross the street so I could head to work...lol.

I'm not pissed off about anything. More amused that the X5 is a "challenge" to drive in the winter. It is very apparent that I could drive circles around several of these X5 drivers in my 400 hp, RWD F with it's winter set up....and yes it does get driven up here all winter.

'11 750 Li Xdrive Alpine White
'10 X5 35d Space Grey
Old 01-11-2011, 09:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 530i sport
What do you folks think about siping your tires as an inexpensive alternative?

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/tireSiping.dos
Old 01-12-2011, 12:03 AM

Mein Auto: Chevy half ton pickup
Quote:
If you think 18" are ugly go with 19" You would then need a 255/50/19 size.

Tire calculator: http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoTireMath.dos

Last edited by Norm37; 01-12-2011 at 12:07 AM.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:51 AM

Mein Auto: X5 35i Sport Sapphire
"Sounds like money is no object, so please: go out and buy yourself some snow tires and see what your X5 was designed to do in these conditions."

Wouldn't getting a Range supercharged for the snow days be more fitting for this young Wall Street baller? Veyron at 22?! Damn, am I in the wrong business or in the wrong family or what!?

Retired

1999 Prelude SH / Pearl White /
2007 X3 Sport / Jet Black /
2010 X5 Sport / Sapphire Black /

Current
2013 X5 M-Sport / M-Power / Alpine White /
Old 01-12-2011, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0428 View Post
"Sounds like money is no object, so please: go out and buy yourself some snow tires and see what your X5 was designed to do in these conditions."

Wouldn't getting a Range supercharged for the snow days be more fitting for this young Wall Street baller? Veyron at 22?! Damn, am I in the wrong business or in the wrong family or what!?

x5 got stuck out of commision.....Range Rover was stuck in the snow on ice.

Finally made it out and was fine on the roads. The plow made some bank into turns and I got stuck. Tried to get out in the x5 and it started smoking LOL (thought I was going to be on the news).

5 minutes later the fan is still cooling the engine down. Its CHAOS out there.

EVERYONE BE SAFE DON'T GO OUT!
Old 01-12-2011, 08:05 AM

Mein Auto: E60 M5,
Quote:
Be careful of the size there is very limited clearance on the inside of the wheels.

M DREI und M FUNF at ElkHart Lake

Current Fleet
14 Audi S4 - Sons daily driver
13 C63 AMG. Coupe Devlpmnt Pkg 12 Sept. ED Delivery
12 K1600 GT One Lap of America-Sold
11 X5d (X Funf) ? PDC Delivery
10 C300 4Matic ED Delivery
05 E500 4Matic ED Delivery
01 M3 (M DREI) Sunny Sunday Service
01 Honda RC51 Sons Bike
99 Ducati ST 2 My Bike
95 Suburban 2500 Heavy Duty Mule
67 Mini Cooper S Just Makes You Grin
60 Triumph TR 3 - X 2
Old 01-12-2011, 08:14 AM

Total Snowfall :27 inches and climbing! WOW
Old 01-12-2011, 09:05 AM

Mein Auto: Zipcars
Tires tires tires. If there's no grip, there's no special "snow mode" that can help you out... you're just out of luck. I've seen some roads around here get iced up, and AWD cars with chains on all 4 wheels couldn't get up the hill...

Can't believe somebody has A/S tires and complains about bad handling in a blizzard. Knowing how to drive sports cars is nothing like learning how to drive in the snow - anybody with even the tiniest bit of snow experience knows it's all about the tires.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:07 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X5 Xdrive35D
Its time for New Yorkers to get a snow mobile

2011 X5D BLK/BLK: Premium, Tech, Cold, Sports Activity, Premium Sound, Rear Climate, Third Row, Comfort Access
2008 MB SLK280 BLK
2006 Acura TL Silver
2006 MB E350 4Matic BLK (Gone)
2001 Nissan Maxima BLK (Gone)