Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 01-12-2011, 10:37 AM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Mein Auto: 535i M Sport; 328i Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdnrockies View Post
wtf are you talking about football. Playoff time baby!
In the CFL? Seriously? Like Cam Newton is going to sign with the Stampede or the Roughriders instead of going into the NFL draft?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkotanto View Post
What do you folks think about siping your tires as an inexpensive alternative?

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/tireSiping.dos
Oh, yeah. Summer compound with sipes that'll work REAL well on black ice. I sense another Allstate Mayhem commercial in the works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0428 View Post
Wouldn't getting a Range supercharged for the snow days be more fitting for this young Wall Street baller?
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsonitep View Post
Range Rover was stuck in the snow on ice.
Nuff said.

Quote:
Finally made it out and was fine on the roads. The plow made some bank into turns and I got stuck. Its CHAOS out there.

EVERYONE BE SAFE DON'T GO OUT!
Should amend the first part of that to read "was fine on the roads till it came time to stop or turn." And amend the second part to read "EVERYONE WHO DOESN'T HAVE SNOW TIRES AND/OR DOESN'T KNOW HOW TO DRIVE IN SNOW BE SAFE DON'T GO OUT!" As for me, my Pirelli Scorpions and I just drove to the Post Office without drama, and then did some figure eights in the parking lot for the sheer hedonistic pleasure of it. I LOVE days like this!

Current BMW's:
2014 535i MSport Space / Black, ZCW, ZDA, ZLP, ZLS, ZPP, H-K and 704
2014 328i Sport Wagon, Glacier / Black, ZSL, ZD2, ZD3, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, and H-K

Prior BMW's
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic

Last edited by quackbury; 01-12-2011 at 10:41 AM.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:31 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by quackbury View Post
In the CFL? Seriously? Like Cam Newton is going to sign with the Stampede or the Roughriders instead of going into the NFL draft?

Oh, yeah. Summer compound with sipes that'll work REAL well on black ice. I sense another Allstate Mayhem commercial in the works.

Nuff said.

Should amend the first part of that to read "was fine on the roads till it came time to stop or turn." And amend the second part to read "EVERYONE WHO DOESN'T HAVE SNOW TIRES AND/OR DOESN'T KNOW HOW TO DRIVE IN SNOW BE SAFE DON'T GO OUT!" As for me, my Pirelli Scorpions and I just drove to the Post Office without drama, and then did some figure eights in the parking lot for the sheer hedonistic pleasure of it. I LOVE days like this!
It was nuts.......we had 30+ inches total. The bmw was great on hills, but got stuck where the plow would leave huge piles of snow, would screw it up so I could not turn. Range rover made it.

Stopping=fine Hills=fine But yes snow tires are a must, although I have no where to go so just have to be careful these next days because roads are narrower and edges are slippery!

GL all, good thing is the car looks nice haha
Old 01-12-2011, 12:44 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 and X5 Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by quackbury;5764729 "was fine on the roads [B
till it came time to stop or turn."[/b]

That's the "problem" with 4WD or AWD, while it helps with the "go" part, it does nothing for the stop and turn part. This can be deceptive to some people, as they don't realize how slippery the conditions are. When you drive a 2WD vehicle, you get a good indication how slippery it is when you "go," before getting a surprise when you try to stop or turn.

With my 1992 Ford Explorer with real 4WD, not AWD, and the semi-offroad M/S tires that were standard back then, I could definitely go a lot better than I could stop or turn.
Old 01-12-2011, 03:40 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35d; 750Li; IS F
Quote:
Lol! Funny guy.

Seriously...we don't live in igloos...we have cable...and the rumour is that the Bills might end up in Toronto (and I still won't be a fan).

Who the f*** is Cam Newton?

j/k...we get college ball up here too. Oregon's coach should be fired for going for it on that 4th down play.

'11 750 Li Xdrive Alpine White
'10 X5 35d Space Grey
Old 01-12-2011, 04:01 PM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Okay, I take back what I said- you're an alright guy. Especially since you didn't try to defend Celine Dion.

As for the Bills? You can have 'em. The only thing they're really good for anyway is playing them gives our Patriots a second bye week.

Current BMW's:
2014 328i Sport Wagon, Glacier / Black, ZSL, ZD2, ZD3, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, and H-K

Prior BMW's
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic
Old 01-12-2011, 05:24 PM

Mein Auto: Chevy half ton pickup
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionfish
What are your opinions on getting 255/55/18 as dedicated snow tires for a 2011 3.5I X5 SAV? I know 19" are probably best for the apperance, but you think 18" are bit ugly for the Sports activity version?

Quote:
Originally Posted by M FUNF View Post
Be careful of the size there is very limited clearance on the inside of the wheels.

From the BMW 2011 3.5I X5 SAV? online manual.

"BMW X5: use is only permitted in pairs on the
rear wheels with tires of the size:
> 255/55 R 18
> 255/50 R 19"

All the other recommended sizes are staggered sets

For the wheels there is a lot more to consider than just slapping on a set of 18 or 19 inch rims.

You also have to make sure the wheels have the correct fitment. Hub centric rings, offset etc.

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/....jsp?techid=95

http://www.1010tires.com/WheelOffsetCalculator.asp

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoTireMath.dos

Tire Rack, America Tires, Sears Tire center, Etc. will be able to fit a good winter tire wheel package for your X5.

Last edited by Norm37; 01-12-2011 at 05:32 PM.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:08 PM

X5 35d is Awesome in the snow!

Having the worst blizzard that I've ever seen in this neck of the woods. We've got roughly 3 feet of snow over the past couple of days. Our plows do a pretty good job of keeping the one lane decent, but the left lane typically had at least 6" of snow covering it.

Zero slippage or traction issues. Scorpion Ice & Snow FTW!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Random 022.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	262295   Click image for larger version

Name:	Random 023.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	262296  

'10 X5 35d Space Grey
Old 01-14-2011, 09:39 PM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Quote:
Having the worst blizzard that I've ever seen in this neck of the woods. We've got roughly 3 feet of snow over the past couple of days. Our plows do a pretty good job of keeping the one lane decent, but the left lane typically had at least 6" of snow covering it.

Zero slippage or traction issues. Scorpion Ice & Snow FTW!
Your HUD had me doing a double take - please tell me that's kph, not mph!

Current BMW's:

Prior BMW's
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic
Old 01-14-2011, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Your HUD had me doing a double take - please tell me that's kph, not mph!
Lol! Of course man.

'10 X5 35d Space Grey
Old 01-15-2011, 09:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 E92 M3
Ok -- I'll try and bring this back....

So I'm a firm believer in snow rubber like many posters on this thread...Did the swap for over 20 years - tired of the tire swap meet twice a year..

But after driving my wifes RX AWD with All Seasons I took the chance and ordered my 35D with 19" all seasons...

Anyways, the 35D came with Conti AS RFT 19's and they are ok at best...Note I am coming from an X6 with Pirelli Scorpion Snow/Ice so I'm used to Sherman Tank traction in the winter.

I really don't want to invest in a new, winter dedicated tire/wheel package...I'm thinking about going with Nokian WRG2 All Weather Run flats in place of the Conti's. This is based on research and more importantly talking with some buds I respect and have Nokian experience in Minnesota

The reviews on this tire is that it performs extremely well across the year..

Anyone have an opinion or experience to share??? This could be a good solution (not compromise) for someone like me who wants a great performing tire year round (and lives in snow belt)

They're not cheap though (approx $385 each corner!!)
2011\E92\Jerez\Bamboo Novillo\Competition\Convenience\Cold Weather\Premium 2\DCT\Carbon Fiber Performance Interior Trim\Power Rear Sunshade\Smartphone Integration\Satellite\Premium Sound\Significant Gas Guzzler Tax

Last edited by midwest bmw; 01-15-2011 at 09:48 AM.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:06 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: 01-540i 11-X5 5.0 65-C2
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest bmw View Post

So I'm a firm believer in snow rubber like many posters on this thread...Did the swap for over 20 years.

But after driving my wifes RX AWD with All Seasons I took the chance and ordered my 35D with 19" all seasons...Got tired of the tire dance...

Anyways, the 35D came with Conti AS RFT 19's and they are ok at best...Note I am coming from an X6 with Pirelli Scorpion Snow/Ice so I'm used to Sherman Tank traction in the winter.

I really don't want to invest in a new, winter dedicated tire/wheel package...Based on some others opinions I'm thinking about going with Nokian WRG2 All Weather Run flats in place of the Conti's.

All the reviews on this tire is that it performs extremely well across the year..

Thoughts??? This could be a good solution (not compromise) for someone like me who wants a great performing tire year round (and lives in snow belt)

I see many different tread patterns for the WRG2. I cannot tell if some of the pictures are just an older tread design. They may have a recent tread change but kept the same ident.

It looks plenty aggressive for the winter months, equal to the Pirelli Scor S&I. I run those now on my X.

Mileage looks good.

I bet road noise will be a bit more with all of the individual "lugs", which will probably get even louder as the tire begins to cup.

The tread appears to be directional which limits rotating options and exaggerates the above mentioned.

I wouldn't say it's the norm, but a few years back, I ran a Conti Winter sport 790 V, (no longer produced and replaced by the 810 to which I didn't care for) year around for two years on my 540i and believe it or not, in the summer months with the car at the edge of its envelope, they held right in there with the PS2's that replaced the Conti's. My point is, depending on the tire, you may not give up anything running a winter year around. No one ever believes me but I took that car to the limit daily and aside from the road noise, they were a fantastic tire in the summer!

The best advise I can give is try to get a "non-directional", it helps greatly with rotating options and therefore tire wear & road noise!
Old 01-15-2011, 10:15 AM

Quote:

So I'm a firm believer in snow rubber like many posters on this thread...Did the swap for over 20 years - tired of the tire swap meet twice a year..

But after driving my wifes RX AWD with All Seasons I took the chance and ordered my 35D with 19" all seasons...

I really don't want to invest in a new, winter dedicated tire/wheel package...I'm thinking about going with Nokian WRG2 All Weather Run flats in place of the Conti's. This is based on research and more importantly talking with some buds I respect and have Nokian experience in Minnesota

Anyone have an opinion or experience to share??? This could be a good solution (not compromise) for someone like me who wants a great performing tire year round (and lives in snow belt)

It is nothing but a compromise. They will not perform as well as a true winter set up regardless of the tire you buy and you should know that after the Scorpions on your 6. Considering that the RX performs ok with all-seasons doesn't mean the X5 will.

The X5 is bigger in every dimension than the RX but more importantly weighs an additional 850 lb. It has more power and a wider/longer track as well. The lack of power in the RX will also help it get moving easier in the snow (we had one previously).

I still don't understand buying +$60K vehicles and then cheaping out on a winter set up if you live anywhere that gets significant snow. This doesn't even bring in the discussion on the wear and tear of the actual rims that get abused in winter weather.

'10 X5 35d Space Grey
Old 01-15-2011, 11:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 E92 M3
Quote:
It is nothing but a compromise. They will not perform as well as a true winter set up regardless of the tire you buy and you should know that after the Scorpions on your 6. Considering that the RX performs ok with all-seasons doesn't mean the X5 will.

The X5 is bigger in every dimension than the RX but more importantly weighs an additional 850 lb. It has more power and a wider/longer track as well. The lack of power in the RX will also help it get moving easier in the snow (we had one previously).

I still don't understand buying +$60K vehicles and then cheaping out on a winter set up if you live anywhere that gets significant snow. This doesn't even bring in the discussion on the wear and tear of the actual rims that get abused in winter weather.
Good questions and here is my logic:

1). Tired of the twice a year tire/wheel swap and storage
2). Based on some feed-back from a BMW (RWD) and Audi/Quattro buddy of mine here in Mpls, the Nokia WRG2 are terrific All Weather (not all season) rubber

Hence this alternative does not look like a compromise in traction or convenience The WRG2 testing scores are as good as many winter tires

Note how I am not talking $'s although the Nokia alternative is certainly less than an OEM or aftermarket set-up:

$1600 / Nokia $385/corner
Aftermarket Wheels/TPMS/RF Tires/Shipping $2k (non hub/centric -- which bothers me)
OEM Winter Set-up $3k+
2011\E92\Jerez\Bamboo Novillo\Competition\Convenience\Cold Weather\Premium 2\DCT\Carbon Fiber Performance Interior Trim\Power Rear Sunshade\Smartphone Integration\Satellite\Premium Sound\Significant Gas Guzzler Tax

Last edited by midwest bmw; 01-15-2011 at 11:34 AM.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Good questions and here is my logic:

1). Tired of the twice a year tire/wheel swap and storage
2). Based on some feed-back from a BMW (RWD) and Audi/Quattro buddy of mine here in Mpls, the Nokia WRG2 are terrific All Weather (not all season) rubber

Hence this alternative does not look like a compromise in traction or convenience The WRG2 testing scores are as good as many winter tires

Note how I am not talking $'s although the Nokia alternative is certainly less than an OEM or aftermarket set-up:

$1600 / Nokia $385/corner
Aftermarket Wheels/TPMS/RF Tires/Shipping $2k (non hub/centric -- which bothers me)
OEM Winter Set-up $3k+
Your car, your money. Run whatever makes you happy.

My preference is for the full winter set up. I can handle the winter conditions but would much prefer if the rest of the world had true winters to better cope with the tougher driving conditions. It is painfully obvious on a daily basis that there are too many people whose vehicles are inadequately equipped to handle the difficult winter driving we face (and you too....have made a few trips to Minni during the winter when we lived in Manitoba).

Quebec actually made it law that you are required to have snow tires on your car in the winter (...causing a major tire shortage up here the year they implemented it...lol). I would love to see them implement it out here as well. It would likely save multiple lives and huge dollars for the insurance companies making the roads safer for everyone on them.

'10 X5 35d Space Grey
Old 01-15-2011, 01:54 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
...much prefer if the rest of the world had true winters to better cope with the tougher driving conditions. I....

It would likely save multiple lives and huge dollars for the insurance companies making the roads safer for everyone on them.

I was in Germany a couple of weeks ago and rented a 5 series...put on 800km in 3 days.

Interestingly, when I was booking it on Sixt, a little window popped up and said "Good choice of a vehicle Mr. Ard. However wintery conditions exists- would you like to add winter tires for 19.67 euros a day?"

I declined- knowing that by law you must have winter tires on the car after November in germany!

RWD 5 series with 4 Pirelli winter tires was a champ..this was all during the snowstorms that had shut down airports all over europe too.

Old 01-15-2011, 01:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 50i M Sport
Quote:

I have them on 19s for the winter. In the summer I run 20s so they are my dedicated winter setup. They are also snow rated and have the mountain and snow flake symbol on the sidewall (qualify in Quebec). I did not get run-flats since I have a spare.

We've had a couple decent snows here in Toronto and they have performed well. I wouldn't have any issue recommending them. Having said that, if you drive beyond the road conditions (too fast), you will get into trouble.

Prior to the X I've had 3 rear drive 3 series. I ran snows on each (Hakkas) I believe I understand the difference snows make and how to handle driving in the snow.
Old 01-16-2011, 12:12 PM

Mein Auto: GLK250BT, 335d, Jetta TDI
While there is a lot of "not-WIN" in this thread (particularly the "All Seasons" are good for all season everywhere in the country, right? I'll just run with tires that harden to plastic at 43F...), there is some notable WIN, in particular, these two gentlemen:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk9394 View Post
i use winter setup on all of my cars, from sport car to SUV. normally they are around $1400 to $1800 per set with rims and shipping from tirerack or discountedtires. Depends on the size you are getting.
I ebay them off, after 36 mo's of the lease period. most people will buy it around half of the price from the purchase price if you keep the tires and wheels in great condition. the total cost for 3 to 4 seasons of usage is about $200 to $250 per year. is worth to use winter setup in snow area! one repair bill can cost you lot more, plus the increase of the ins bill!

Quote:
Owner's manual is remarkably uninformative given the number of pages.

Turning off DSC helps you GET STARTED in deep snow or soft sand. It does nothing to improve traction while under way, and will actually hurt your cornering ability.

Three facts I can't emphasize often enough - not theroetical but proven during 8 years of driving 4 different X5's through New England winters (not to mention the XC90 and assorted Grand Cherokees that preceded those):
  1. All season tires are a COMPROMISE that do a MEDIOCRE job in all conditions. They may feel like they accelerate as well as winter tires, but they absolutely, positively will NOT corner or brake as well. Body shops love the fact so many people are riding on them.
  2. You will go through AT LEAST TWO SETS OF TIRES during the time you own / lease your X5. It costs NO MORE to make one of those a set of winter tires (in fact, it's often cheaper, especially if the winter tires are not RFT's).
  3. The most enjoyable and SAFEST combination, is a set of summer performance tires mounted on one set of wheels, and a second set of winter tires mounted on another set of wheels. By having two mounted sets, you will save anywhere from $200 to $500 per year in mounting and balancing costs. You have a "full size" spare to use in emergencies, so you don't need to ride on the donut spare for long. And when you are done driving the X5 you can sell the extra set of wheels on eBay, Craigslist and Bimmerfest.

Seriously, if you want to be safe, and get the most out of your $60,000 or $70,000 ride, let the moths out of your wallet and buy a set of winter wheels and tires!

PS All this talk about "snow", don't forget about ICE. Black ice is a much more dangerous proposition than a couple inches of the white stuff. Many (most?) winter tires have compounds optimized for traction on ice. All seasons do not. The problem isn't so much getting going as it is turning and stopping.
I did the exact thing for my CRD Jeep as pk9394 suggests, use, then unload on Kajijji/Craigslist.

Quack's 2nd point is particularly relevant, as it will most certainly help you avoid buying a set of expensive RFT's to replace the OEM fitment prior to lease end.

Regards
D
2001 Jetta TDI - Blue on Black

Old 01-17-2011, 02:03 AM

Original thread topic:

"anyone having trouble in the snow?"

Conclusion:

If you are, you either have the wrong tires or need to improve your driving skills.

/thread

'10 X5 35d Space Grey

Last edited by Cdnrockies; 01-17-2011 at 02:11 AM.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X535D/2011 335IS cv
Quote:
Original thread topic:

Conclusion:

If you are, you either have the wrong tires or need to improve your driving skills.

/thread
Amen.... I suppose. Here in Atlanta we don't get much snow but we had a doozy last week. For the first 3 days I didn't want to venture out, esp as my driveway has a pretty steep slope down from street to garage and is over 100 ft long.

On day 4 cabin fever got the better of me and I figured let's try it a bit, if it spins out I can just drive back in. It went up the snow (now mostly ice) slope like it was summer, except for the bumps of course. Pretty impressed.

On the roads, not too bad. No real slippage but I didn't go crazy or anything, we don't have much in the way of shoulders in this area. Took it to a parking lot and tried some stunts (safely of course) and it was the same, except got fishtailing when making sharp turns (to be expected).

Tires are OEM Mich RFTs. I used to live in snow areas a LONG time ago so any particular skills I had in that regard are probably very rusty by now.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Original thread topic:

Conclusion:

/thread

We need locking difs......Its an amazing car built like a sports car not an off-road/machine. Yes the tires make the difference, but wheel slippage will continue. Just is annoying feeling your steering wheel vibrate out of control every time you hit 2 inches of snow left over on the road.

I thought they would make it easy for the women driving. Range Rover makes it so its virtually impossible to lose control in any weather, even with all seasons.

Old 01-17-2011, 04:43 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
1. Have you not yet figured out that the point of this thread is that you do not know how to drive (in snow)?

2. The second youtube is absolutely someone who is totally clueless as to how to drive in snow. Spinning wheels and revving the motor so exhaust flow peaks and black smoke pours off the tires?!??! OMG. Stopping???? Turning the wheels when stopped and trying to get going from that position...

3. Guys that have driven cars in the snow. REALLY DRIVEN. Like thousands of miles, feet of snow, chains on all 4, shovel in the back, get stuck you are SOL for the night.....it is years of that experience that make you a snow driver...they see that video and just shake their heads.

People need to go back home I guess. Oh, and when the people on TV say "It's a snow emergency, stay inside"...listen to them. The are talking to you, I'd say. I see guys like you in ditches all winter- capable AWD cars but drivers who do not understand that you need to DRIVE and that all the Range Rover "make it impossible to lose control" systems will not keep you from sliding off the road when the speed overcomes the available friction.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
1. Have you not yet figured out that the point of this thread is that you do not know how to drive (in snow)?

2. The second youtube is absolutely someone who is totally clueless as to how to drive in snow. Spinning wheels and revving the motor so exhaust flow peaks and black smoke pours off the tires?!??! OMG. Stopping???? Turning the wheels when stopped and trying to get going from that position...

3. Guys that have driven cars in the snow. REALLY DRIVEN. Like thousands of miles, feet of snow, chains on all 4, shovel in the back, get stuck you are SOL for the night.....it is years of that experience that make you a snow driver...they see that video and just shake their heads.

People need to go back home I guess. Oh, and when the people on TV say "It's a snow emergency, stay inside"...listen to them. The are talking to you, I'd say. I see guys like you in ditches all winter- capable AWD cars but drivers who do not understand that you need to DRIVE and that all the Range Rover "make it impossible to lose control" systems will not keep you from sliding off the road when the speed overcomes the available friction.

I think both drivers were women...

Last edited by samsonitep; 01-17-2011 at 06:19 PM.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:24 AM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Quote:
I think both drivers were women...
So what?

AFAIK you are a guy, and you started this thread because you were finding it impossible to handle your X5 in the snow.

Back when I was instructing in the Mercedes ride-and-drive program, one of my fellow instructors was a woman rallye driver. Believe me, she would have no problem in those conditions.

Having an X or a Y chromosome is not the issue. Being a dumbazz who thinks his or her "all seasons" are going to work in the snow when the driver is so obviously clueless is the problem.

Current BMW's:

Prior BMW's
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic
Old 01-18-2011, 08:31 AM
///Monkeyazz Duck

BTW I do wish that BMW would offer a locking (or at least limited slip) diff on the X5.

AFAIK the X5M has a LSD, so it's already engineered; I would think it would be a win-win to offer it on the regular X5, as that would bring the unit cost down across the board. I would definitely check the box for that option.

Current BMW's:

Prior BMW's
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic
Old 01-18-2011, 09:32 AM

Quote:
So what?

AFAIK you are a guy, and you started this thread because you were finding it impossible to handle your X5 in the snow.

Back when I was instructing in the Mercedes ride-and-drive program, one of my fellow instructors was a woman rallye driver. Believe me, she would have no problem in those conditions.

Having an X or a Y chromosome is not the issue. Being a dumbazz who thinks his or her "all seasons" are going to work in the snow when the driver is so obviously clueless is the problem.
why do dealers push those all seasons rfs? I wish I could have taken a summer time and just flipped to winters. They made it seems as if they are the best tire out there. For an SUV I really don't bother because I don't take it on a track.

EDIT: my old ford explorer had All seasons and did not have a problem in the winter...never even bothered with tires. Upon further research they appear to be a terrible tire.

Last edited by samsonitep; 01-18-2011 at 09:34 AM.