Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 01-09-2011, 04:13 PM

Mein Auto: 650i
SOS call system malfunction?

Has been snowing quite a bit lately, so I pulled in the car wash and sprayed off the car...got back in and started it up.....thought I heard a pop from the glovebox area and got the SOS warning......no speakers sound, no Sat radio, no bluetooth, no navigation, etc. Did press the sos call system and a BMW rep answered. Didn't really worry about it cause I figured it would reset itself when I turned it off.......A week later, still there and my other systems still won't work. I know I'll have to take it in......any ideas? I did personally check every fuse in the glove box and they all are operationsl.....trunk too.

FYI, a few months ago I was getting all kinds of weird warnings, but tht stopped once we put the BMW battery in the car and removed the "autozone" one that was in it.

Last edited by aflacjack; 01-09-2011 at 04:15 PM. Reason: added info
Advertisement
Old 01-09-2011, 11:28 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 650I
I had the same problem as you, the fix for me was a new CCC. I heard a pop from the dash near the glovebox and I lost my NAV, RADIO, BLUETOOTH, CD and if I remember I had the SOS light error in the cluster. At the time my car was out of warranty by 4 months and BMW wanted about $3,000 for parts and labor.

I called BMWNA and with help from the dealer I paid $250 for the repair and to update my software.

Some people who had this problem paid nothing and some paid the full price for the fix. If you still have your new car warranty then it should be covered, but if you have the CPO, then I don't think it covers the CCC.

I only had about 32,000 miles at the time and I check the fuse and none were bad in the glovebox and in the trunk.

Hope it helps,
Marc
2005 645CI
Old 01-10-2011, 06:05 AM

Ccc?
Old 01-10-2011, 09:19 AM

Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by aflacjack View Post
Ccc?
CCC = Car Communication Computer. CCC is usually used to describe iDrive that BMW used between 2003-2008. In this case he means the actual computer that runs iDrive.

The newer iDrive is called CIC (Car Infotainment Computer).
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater

Last edited by Yorgi; 01-10-2011 at 09:20 AM.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:26 AM

Thanks Yorgi......sounds freaking great! UGH!
Old 01-12-2011, 12:04 PM

Shop just called and said SAT box in the trunk had shorted out. Apparently that box controls all these functions. I have an extended warranty that would have covered the computer....but not the Sat system. So, looks like I am gonna be out about $800.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:22 PM

Mein Auto: 650i Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by aflacjack View Post
Shop just called and said SAT box in the trunk had shorted out. Apparently that box controls all these functions. I have an extended warranty that would have covered the computer....but not the Sat system. So, looks like I am gonna be out about $800.
Damn, sorry to hear. Cant the shop say that its the computer instead of the SAT box? After all they are both computer boxes to some degree Just a thought.

Previous Cars:
2008 650 Convertible 6 speed manual
2004 645 Convertible 6 speed manual
1994 540 6 speed manual
Old 01-12-2011, 04:38 PM

When you say SAT BOX do you mean the unit for the SAT radio or do you mean TCU. How many miles does your car have and how far are you out of your factory warranty?

Also is your car at a BMW dealer? Might want to call BMWNA to see if they can help, it worked for me. Also try a salvage yard, I was going to go that route for my CCC if BMWNA wasn't going to help. Has your car had any Idrive, Cd, radio, Bluetooth, or phone problems before? If so tell BMWNA about it and make sure it's in your service history from a BMW Dealer.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:02 PM

No idea....all they said was the Sat box that ran all my systems. I asked if it was the computer and they said no. Yes it is at the dealer, they had to order the part. 55k miles, so, just out of the warranty. Who would I call at BMWNA and what do I say?

I have had at least a dozen Fords in my lifetime and never a single problem with any of them as long as I owned them. This is my first import, have had it for 4 months, and first time dealing with anything like this. Had a battery issue since I got it that we fixed in Nov. Had a clean carfax too
Old 01-12-2011, 06:38 PM

I asked my dealer if BMWNA would GOOD WILL it since I only had about 32K and was only a hand full of months out of warranty. At first he gave me a real problem saying something like "If we do it for you, how can we stay in business"? I said "You guys had my dash apart to fix a rattle, how do I know my CCC wasn't drop and you guys 2 years ago said it was normal that once in awhile the idrive will reset itself", after I said that he said he would talk to his boss.

In the meantime I called BMWNA told them my problem and they said they would fix it, but i would have to pay $250.00 for labor and to upgrade the software in my car. I also told BMWNA that I have on my service bill that it's normal once in awhile the idrive will go blank and restart.

The next morning my SA said he talk to his boss and his boss said no. I told him what BMWNA said and he wasn't to happy that i went higher then him and his boss.

So you should give it a try what's the worst that can happen BMWNA says no. In my case paying $250.00 is better then paying $3000.00. You may have to put up a small fight, but you never know.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:21 AM

Ok...got the car back. Here is what happened. The SAT receiver shorted out and they had to replace it. The part was $450 and the labor was $350. Apparently, BMW has the use of the Nav, sound, bluetooth, etc. going through this box and they are all tied together. My extended warranty didn't cover it since it wasn't the actual computer, but an "audio" device, so I am out the 900 bones. On a positive note, my windshield washer pump wasn't pumping, so they fixed it. Said there was some kinda gel that had formed on the pick-up screen. Also, they updated the idrive system and it looks much better. I assume a much newer version. So, we'll see how it goes from here. Thanks for all your input!
Old 05-21-2014, 08:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 750Li
This just happened to my car, interested to know what BMWNA was able to do for you. Have to get it fixed but prefer paying the $250 than the $3K.