Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old Yesterday, 10:04 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 540i 6-speed
Value Help - 2003 540i MTec - 6 speed

It is about to be time to part with my beloved 2003 540i MTecnic. I have a daughter about to turn 16, so I need to buy something that isn't quite so fast and fun to drive. (Plus, she can't drive a manual shift car.)

With the M5 body kit and the 6 speed, these MTec cars are very popular amongst BMW enthusiasts who, like me, LOVE the M5 but are willing to sacrifice 100hp and a few other options for lower maintenance costs. I don't think whatever kbb.com or NADA would reflect as far as value is accurate. I'm just looking for some guidance on what this car may be worth to someone who, like me, really wants one and is willing to go out of state to find the right car.

The car is silver with a grey interior. It currently has 130K and runs great. A couple of coils were replaced two years ago. The valve cover gaskets were replaced 5K ago. I had the PCV valve and throttle body replaced this past winter, and I had the upper control arms done to tighten up the front end. The driver's seat has that annoying BMW glitch where it only reclines on one side, so it twists when you try to recline it. I know it is a quick fix but I haven't taken time to do it. It has never required oil in the 4-5K between oil changes. The pixels are perfect on the dash but a few are out on the radio display. It has no other mechanical issues that I know of and it has been even more reliable than I hoped it would be. Any suggestions on what I should ask, and where I should market the car? Thanks in advance for your help!
Ads by Google
Old Yesterday, 10:05 AM

Thought I had forgotten to put the year, but I see that I actually did.
Old Yesterday, 10:27 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '97 540i 6 speed
Surely you have better resources than a bunch us hacks who roam these forums. Have you tried Kelley, Edmunds, and NADA?

Cruise the BMW CCA web site classifieds to see what BMW nuts are asking.

Hemmings publishes a group of car magazines, one of which might be a good vehicle for advertising. How about AutoWeek?

Or is this a thinly-disguised ad?

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.

Last edited by edjack; Yesterday at 10:29 AM.
Old Yesterday, 11:09 AM

My assumption is that the people on this forum already have their E39's and are probably not in the market for another one. So, if someone on the forum is interested in the car, that would be a bonus, but I didn't post thinking this is the way to sell it.

I don't find kbb or NADA to be valid for some of these cars, but I could be wrong. When I was looking for an MTec, I couldn't find one for anywhere close to kbb or NADA value.

Unfortunately, you "hacks" represent the most concentrated collection of E39 knowledge on the internet and a my post is a genuine attempt to tap into that knowledge to find out the true value of my car. I'll take a look at the CCA site and see what I can learn there, and I'll also look into Autoweek. But if anyone out there has any recent experience buying or selling one like mine, I would appreciate your insight. Thanks for your help.
Old Yesterday, 11:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 528i 9/99
pictures would help too. It will give us a better idea of the condition and representation of your description.

although I am not a fan of NADA, it does give a ballpark starting point but doesnt take in to account the repairs/issues with your particular car.

here are some local ads in KC:
http://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/4577237296.html
http://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/4564273167.html

the second link is a very nice one with M5 wheels.

Looking for Parts for my E39- PM Me for wishlist and to deal!
2000 528i- Current Daily Driver and Project Car
2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP Comp G- 3.8 Supercharged. Sold to buy the BMW. Chipped, 27MPG, tons of torque.
2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GT- Traded in to get GTP. Electrical Hell.
Old Yesterday, 11:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by helmet75 View Post
pictures would help too. It will give us a better idea of the condition and representation of your description.

although I am not a fan of NADA, it does give a ballpark starting point but doesnt take in to account the repairs/issues with your particular car.

here are some local ads in KC:
http://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/4577237296.html
http://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/4564273167.html

the second link is a very nice one with M5 wheels.

Neither of those is the mythical 03 m-sport.
Old Yesterday, 11:52 AM

I'm not a Dinan fan, but this caught my eye:
http://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/4567767981.html
I think he wants too much but thats just my opinion which isnt worth much

2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP Comp G- 3.8 Supercharged. Sold to buy the BMW. Chipped, 27MPG, tons of torque.
Old Yesterday, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock mafia View Post
Neither of those is the mythical 03 m-sport.
I know, but it's just a reference point for asking price.
figure their selling price and add the options price for the M-technic upgrades minus depreciation and get a rough estimate of what the OP should start with for a ballpark figure.
Also, they are nice examples of e39s.
If the OPs car is in near the same condition, it makes for a good barometer of his price point.

Old Yesterday, 11:56 AM

rock mafia, you are the man! I think you found every '03 MTec for sale in the country. Looking through all the ads and comparing them to mine, I think I'm going to land somewhere in the $9K range for my asking price. When I get serious about selling in the next month or so, I'll post pics. Thanks again rock mafia, and others who replied!
Old Yesterday, 11:58 AM

can you post pics of yours?

Old Yesterday, 12:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by MHaas42 View Post
rock mafia, you are the man! I think you found every '03 MTec for sale in the country. Looking through all the ads and comparing them to mine, I think I'm going to land somewhere in the $9K range for my asking price. When I get serious about selling in the next month or so, I'll post pics. Thanks again rock mafia, and others who replied!
You're welcome. I stopped when I got to Birmingham, so that's just a 500 mile radius of NC.