Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 08-31-2014, 09:42 AM

Mein Auto: bmw 530i
Engine oil drainback valve: Made from unobtainium???

Its a Little plastic valve in the oil filter housing. It prevents the oil from draining back while the car sits overnite. It also allows for partial flow-through while running like a by pass, since the oil pump creates more flow than the engine needs.

Im doing a total overhaul. Im stumped as to where to get this valve. I have checked everywhere from junkyards to ebay to dealers. UNOBTAINIUM, unless I buy a whole housing. Almost $400. I dont want a used one. This valve is the cause of the overhaul.... near as I can tell...; It blew, lodging the pieces in the oil pickup, causing dry starts and lower oil pressure. That lead to overheating, warped the head, blew the head gasket, and here I am overhauling the damn thing.

Im thinking of relocating the filter and just modding the system unless i can find a source for the $5 valve.
Ads by Google
Old 08-31-2014, 10:25 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1998 528i 5-sp 140K+
Not available. As you mentioned, 2 options:
- New from dealer, about $350 or so.
- Gently used OFH on ebay.

Your problem is very unique, never heard about this before in this forum.
Old 08-31-2014, 01:10 PM

Mein Auto: '97 540i 6 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbushell View Post
Its a Little plastic valve in the oil filter housing. It prevents the oil from draining back while the car sits overnite. It also allows for partial flow-through while running like a by pass, since the oil pump creates more flow than the engine needs.
Actually, the oil pressure regulating valve inside the pump housing does the bypass, but this is not helping your problem. Sorry.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.
Old 08-31-2014, 02:05 PM

Im going to fab a plate with all the necessary ports, install a relocation kit with a anti drainback valve, and adjustable bypass.Ill be able to control the pressure maually. The valve does regulate some bypass. My car has the no fail pump, but its just a pump impeller and pickup tube... nothing more. There are two styles of pump for this model year.... Getting off topic... Thanks for confirming the unobtainiumness of the part. Maybe used is all I can do if I cant build a satisfactory system myself.... Ill bet I can.
Old 08-31-2014, 06:22 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
You might get ideas from the pictures here...
- How to identify & fix an oil filter housing (OFH) leak (1) (2) (3) (4)

Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need
Old 08-31-2014, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
You might get ideas from the pictures here...
- How to identify & fix an oil filter housing (OFH) leak (1) (2) (3) (4)

Yep saw that... its the anti drainback valve. mine is gone... just a round hole left in its place, and its no available for having more.... UNOBTAINIUM.
Old 08-31-2014, 06:30 PM

BTW the Freeze plug label is wrong... That is the plug that controls pressure and flow through. The top reverse star bolt is the cleanout. Oil doenst freeze. The bottom reverse star that says freeze plug holds in a pressure release valve.
Old 08-31-2014, 07:02 PM

Actually the word FREEZE plug was not wrong. For lack of better term, I used the word "FREEZE plugs" in quotation, borrowing the terminology from engine block freeze plug.
That image is from my DIY OFH gasket, and I clearly stated why I used the word "FREEZE plugs".

You may want to google "engine block freeze plug", and you will know what I mean when I used that word.
Old 08-31-2014, 07:06 PM

BTW, it is not $400.

PN 11421713838 is $250:

http://www.huskerparts.com/parts/ind...&siteid=215771
Old Yesterday, 09:07 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbushell View Post
Yep saw that... its the anti drainback valve. mine is gone... just a round hole left in its place
What scares me, is how would "I" know if mine is working, or not?
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need
Old Yesterday, 03:08 PM

Anyway.... I didnt mean to offend anyone. Just mentioning the bottom inverse star is for pressure valve (spring and bi metal srtip behind it). Top one is a cleanout... Maybe they are freeze plugs, for lack of a better term. None of us would be here if our cars were perfect, we had money for any mechanic work, or we knew everything. If we he take in the good and throw out what dont work for us.... this site is a big help.

BTW it was your write up on this site that helped me ID the issue. I wouldnt have even known the valve was gone