Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 03-09-2015, 07:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 bmw 528i
Behr Fan Clutch Problem

Anyone recently get a bad fan clutch from Behr...? I did. Changing back to Sachs. No lockup at startup when cold or at normal operating temps, 93-96C. Been monitoring with OBD unlocked. I got a dud. Auxiliary fan kicks in at low speed at 96C just like it should in stop and go traffic.

Most of the problems I read about with new fan clutch installs is that they are clutched up/locked constantly....I got no lockup period.

Guess I will stay with Sachs from now on.Just say no to Behr fan clutches

The Behr Auxiliary Fan seems to be a fine product though
Advertisement
Old 03-09-2015, 07:52 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '97 540i 6 speed
The viscous clutch is designed to never "lock up," but rather gets a little stiffer when hot.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.
Old 03-09-2015, 08:16 PM

Behr Fan Clutch Problem

I understand the correct workings of the fan clutch. The "Behr Fan Clutch" I bought has none of those characteristics.

Looking for similar experiences with this product. I have found none.
Old 03-09-2015, 08:38 PM

Behr Fan Clutch Problem

Ok,Lockup was an incorrect description. A correctly operating 2000 528I fan clutch should engage briefly at startup when cold then disengage. When correct operating temperature has been reached it should engage and disengage as needed depending on how warm the radiator is.I can spin this thing by hand when it's hot after shutting car off and stop it while running with rolled newspaper at startup or at correct running temperature.... I got a dud.
Old 03-09-2015, 08:49 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '97 540i 6 speed
Mine does not spin much at cold startup, certainly not enough to notice. The only time I hear it is on a hot day in traffic, esp with the A/C on. When accelerating away from a light, I hear it spin up like a turbine for a short time, maybe 15 sec at most. It works the same way as the one I took off; both are Behr. I only replaced it as a matter of principle, since it's been on there at least as long as I've owned the car, at 58K; now at 147K.

I suspect you are hearing the aux fan. On your MY and later, the fan is briefly tested on startup. Watch the fan whilst someone starts the car.

Behr P/N is 11 52 1 723 829.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.

Last edited by edjack; 03-09-2015 at 08:55 PM.
Old 03-09-2015, 09:52 PM

Behr Fan Clutch Problem

If you read my original post you will note that I stated that my auxiliary fan is working just fine. It comes on at precisely 96 degrees celsius at low speed. I know what it sounds like..... The "Behr Fan Clutch" I bought is a pos. They are also designed to engage at a higher temperature than the "Sachs" units. Im going back to the original.
Old 03-09-2015, 10:07 PM

Behr Fan Clutch Problem

My new "Behr Fan Clutch" has no engagement..... hot or cold. A proper fan clutch on our cars should engage briefly at cold startup and regulate if you will at normal operating temps. I got none of that. I'm very happy that the new"Behr Auxiliary Fan" is working as advertised....new fan clutch not so. Sachs on the way. Getting money back for bad fan clutch, lifetime warranty.