Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 10-24-2011, 12:18 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '02 530i Sport auto
What the BMW Roundel Really stands for

Lots of BMW fans know this one: The famous BMW roundel, trademarked in 1917, represents the aircraft-manufacturing roots of the Bayerische Motoren Werke (Bavarian Motor Works) — a spinning white propeller against a blue sky. That explanation is a common misconception. In fact, the roundel combines the company-name-within-a-black-circle style of Rapp Motorenwerke — from which BMW GmbH sprang — with basic imagery derived from the blue and white diamond flag of the Bavarian Free State. However, the blue and white color scheme within the BMW roundel is reversed from that of the flag, because at the time it was illegal to use national symbols in commercial trademarks.

From MSN.com

Learn something new everyday!
Advertisement
Old 10-24-2011, 12:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 530iA
Yes, I thought so too:
TMS underdrive pullies - Stewart WP - PSS9 - Beisan Vanos seals - Zimmerman cross-drilled & Akebono Euro - Deka 649 MF - 55w HID headlights - 35w HID foglights - Hualigan double din - ACS (rep) alu pedals - Euro central storage console - Breyton Magic Racing staggered wheels - M5 bumper - M5 steering wheel - Tint
Stable: e39, e53, e46 & Tribby
Old 10-24-2011, 01:40 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
It means whatever you THINK it means....

*Please support the Disabled American Veterans*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 10-24-2011, 02:11 PM

Mein Auto: 540/6, S60 Volvo, Tribeca
The info on some of the other logos is interesting too.
http://editorial.autos.msn.com/the-h...logos-revealed
Old 10-25-2011, 07:37 PM
Constantly Learning

Mein Auto: 2006 M3, 2002 M5
Fudman's explanation is correct, according to issue #71 of Bimmer magazine. Registered way back in 1917, in the days of the Kaiser.
Old 04-17-2015, 10:58 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
This was posted today ...
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > BMW logo does not represent a stylized airplane propeller. (According to the NY Daily
Quote:
Originally Posted by NNJE39 View Post
Quote:
The comments section might be set ablaze but, believe it or not, the Daily News Autos is here to tell you that the iconic BMW logo does not represent a stylized airplane propeller.
That’s right BMW fans, everything you thought you knew about the blue and white logo on your beloved M3 or hybrid-powered i8 is wrong.
Don’t feel bad, the idea that the famous BMW Roundel has roots in aviation stretches back almost to the very founding of Bayerische Motoren Werke AG, which happened way back on March 7, 1916.
And yes, the firm’s first technical creations happened to be aircraft engines. So wait a minute, how the heck can we be so smug about the BMW logo not having something to do with airplanes?
You can blame the world of marketing and advertising for this Bavarian-themed level of miscommunication.
The blue and white logo is borrowed from the colors in the Bavarian flag, nothing more. Go ahead and Google search “Bavarian flag,” we’ll wait while you do.
While it’s true that BMW got its start in aircraft engines, the close of World War I and the Treaty of Versailles forbade the company from continuing down its original path. After the conclusion of WWI, BMW moved into motorcycle manufacturing. Eventually, the company was also allowed to restart the aviation side of its business.
It was an advertisement used in the late-1920s, in which the BMW logo cleverly represented the spinning propellers of an airplane, that we encounter the foundation of the famous Roundel/propeller controversy. Yes, the logo represented plane propellers - but only in the ad, not the logo in general.
The advertisement must have been popular, because for decades since, most people assume design and colors of the BMW Roundel are firmly rooted in aviation.
Around the same time this ad apperared, so did the first BMW motorcar. The thin-tired and dainty-looking BMW Dixi 3/15 PS was powered by a small 4-cylinder engine that produced a grand total of 15-horsepower. Small, simple, and quite cheap; the little Dixi helped BMW survive the Great Depression, which arrived only months after the car first went on sale.
Somewhat ironically, this first BMW automobile owed nearly all of its design to the Austin 7, a huge sales hit that was originally designed and engineered entirely...in Britain!