Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 08-24-2014, 06:51 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1998 528i
Throttle response issues/sluggish pickup

Im having a really sluggish acceleration. When I step on the pedal it's like I have no torque and the RPMs climb slowly. If I mash the throttle it will get up and go but still feels like it's being held back. No CEL. Other than that car runs smooth. Has 99k miles. Head was just replaced because of a head gasket failure/overheating. It was running great for about a month. Felt like a brand new car. I also noticed in the morning it cranks longer before it starts, there is a ticking noise coming from the fuel rail area (louder than a normal injector noise) and the cats constantly sound like they are cooling off, even if I'm driving easy. I was thinking cats but I've got no codes for secondary O2's. Also gas mileage has been down as well.
Any ideas or thoughts?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Ads by Google
Old 08-24-2014, 07:23 PM

Mein Auto: 04/1997 528i Auto,
Vanos issues? Rebuild yor seals, the long starts could be your FPR which is located either in your fuel filter. Or just forward of the fuel filter in the 3 way split, or on your fuel rail nearest to the firewall. By the way FPR is fuel pressure regulator, but it could also be your fuel pump check valve. Which means you have to replace the fuel pump which is relativly easy, that's located under the rear passenger side seat. Or maybe a cloaged cat. I belive they're bolt on. So maybe you could remove it and see? I'm not certain of that.
Old 08-24-2014, 08:56 PM

Mein Auto: '97 540i 6 speed
Measure the fuel pressure. S/b 50 psi+.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.
Old 08-25-2014, 11:42 AM

Mein Auto: 525i station wagon
Ceck for vacuum leaks--any unmetered air entering through a vac leak will cause the symptoms that your discribing.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:29 PM
BMW's are like women. $$$

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 528i T Wagon
Throttle response issues/sluggish pickup

You could have a vacuum leak by your CCV. Maybe one of the hoses split. Now my question is, are you relying on the check engine light to come on or are you physically plugging a code reader to see if it had codes? You may have pending codes that do not trigger a check engine light. Also a failing crank position or cam position sensor gives hard starts and sluggish performance. Those may not trigger any codes

Old Yesterday, 03:41 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtadrian View Post
You could have a vacuum leak by your CCV. Maybe one of the hoses split. Now my question is, are you relying on the check engine light to come on or are you physically plugging a code reader to see if it had codes? You may have pending codes that do not trigger a check engine light. Also a failing crank position or cam position sensor gives hard starts and sluggish performance. Those may not trigger any codes

^and we have a winner! (Except for the vacuum part, how does anyone suspect vacuum leaks without misfires or rough running or codes? Never had a vacuum leak without misfires and rough running) Been pretty busy at work and finally hooked up the code reader. My CEL light was out! Annnnnnnd..... I had a code for Camshaft sensor (m52 [my engine] only had one m52tu has two). Replaced cam sensor and she runs beautifully and I'm getting about 20 MPG!! Woohoo!!

Old Yesterday, 03:59 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 e39 540i
I have a similar problem with my 1998 540. It starts up like a dream it's an automatic so getting into gear wouldn't be any trouble. The reverse gear is working, but the problem is that, when I place it into drive. I would have to rev it up to almost 2000rpm to get any acceleration going forward. On the only bright side the anti roll is activated so even if i'm parked up hill I wont roll backwards when attempting to start my 540 going up hill. I have done some research on this and had went to several auto shops claiming to specialize in BMWs telling me. All I need is a new ecm tran. Well I did that, and now I found out that I have to reprogram the new ecm transmission with my older ecm engine. At which i have no clue on getting it done. PLEASE IF THEIR IS ANYONE THAT CAN HELP ME WITH THIS PROBLEM IT WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED.
Old Today, 02:44 AM

Mein Auto: BMW E39 525i 2002
it is cam/crankshaft sensors