Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 06-27-2015, 03:51 PM

Mein Auto: 89 735i
transmission codes

Having a problem erasing codes on a 528i with 5l40e automatic. Everything works on the trans not in limp mode on this model that is a gear icon not the message. Shifts with paddles in both auto and manual mode. No slipping.

I have five trans codes P0-705 twice and 743 53 and 63.

Some background on the diag so far.... Read with standard reader centech from hb. Noticed that to get trans code you have to rescan don't know why was not in instruction book. Don't know what it puts out on the can bus that says just give mil codes and when I ask again give me trans codes? Anyhow because I recorded the codes and the trans was working fine I selected erase to turn off the ses to see if it would reoccur. It said done erasing but checking ses did not get shut off reread and same codes.

Ok get the big stuff out. Tried with a more sophiscticated reader more codes but they were associated with my abs which ic on another thread so I wont go there I wrote it up and posted a bunch of info with bluebee several years ago. MY take on this unit is pump your brakes if you don't know when it will fail and its that flaky what's the point. Anyhow I have 4 bimners 94 and older with abs that has never failed but like my 99 disco as soon as they added out of control logic no abs is safe.

So I put an autologic on and the first one could not read anything so I went over to a friend and he put his autologic on and supposedly erased the codes drove off and did not notice the'
limp node icon illuminated.

Well read somewhere that if you erase the codes it will put the trans in limp mode. Ok don't know if that is true but it did happen. OK reread the codes and presto out of limp mode same
codes. Not sure what the first autologic did but it did go into limp mode

Any ideas? Connected and disconnected the only connector to the trans to see if it was loose or dirty no luck. This model trans has the internal mode switch and all sensors come thru single harness.

Of course I will tear the trans apart if necessary but its working fine.

Thanks for any help have only asked two questions on this forum but read often. I only post questions to this forum actually.
Advertisement
Old 06-28-2015, 08:10 AM

Lots of views but little love. maybe something simpler like does the erasing of transmission codes without repair put the transmission into limp mode?
Old 06-28-2015, 12:14 PM

Well opened up to the computer area with ecu and tcm/ags wiggled the wires around and now the scan tool reads the codes first time. also now have a p1189. Looks like wiring issues
Old 06-28-2015, 12:56 PM

let me clarify the comment from above --- in a single read with the scan tool I now had 6 codes the extra one (not the orginal 5 trans codes) is the p1189. Only read the bus one time no rescan required. Why would the ecu send all 6 codes when a single p1xxx code is present and not if only the 5 trans codes are there. There must be some additional protocol occurring between the tools and the ecu
when we used the autologic the ecu apparently does not like the "erase protocol" being requested by the autel/centech scan tool. the autel/centech scan tool has no error handling is mt guess so it just says done and nothing happens.

The autologic puts the trans in limp mode after erase and turns on dash gear icon. If I reread the codes with the autologic it comes out of limp mode but leaves the codes,