Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 09-15-2014, 03:19 PM

Mein Auto: 540it, audi a4, Cayenne s
Only driver side power folding mirror closes will passenger does not nothing

Just installed m5 power folding mirrors on my 540it and I'm having a tiny issue which has me nuts. I've already replace the module with the required one, have the switch installed and have full control of both mirrors but when attempting to fold them only my driver side folds will my passenger side does not. I've checked the wiring and everything's fine. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1410819490.598636.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	464640

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Advertisement
Old 09-15-2014, 04:39 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 00 540i M-06 X5 4.4
check inside the right mirror, theres like a micro switch...iy yells the module when the mirror is either fully open of fully closed ....without that the module says "i dont know where the mirror is so i choose to do nothing " the metal arm tends to fall off...break off usually, i used a strip of copper, and made another little arm...and epoxied it back onto the switch because the little pegs on the sides of the microswitch had broken off..the original metal arms snaps onto these little side pegs

maybe

Last edited by 1hander; 09-15-2014 at 04:44 PM.
Old 09-15-2014, 09:08 PM

Mein Auto: 540it, audi a4, Cayenne s
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1hander View Post
check inside the right mirror, theres like a micro switch...iy yells the module when the mirror is either fully open of fully closed ....without that the module says "i dont know where the mirror is so i choose to do nothing " the metal arm tends to fall off...break off usually, i used a strip of copper, and made another little arm...and epoxied it back onto the switch because the little pegs on the sides of the microswitch had broken off..the original metal arms snaps onto these little side pegs

maybe

Thanks for the info I'll give it a try tomorrow, I also contacted the m5 mirror provider who offered a replacement set so I may go that rout to be safe.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app