Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 02-22-2015, 10:10 PM

Mein Auto:
I've Read here and there. Trans failsafe issue

Greetings to all.Have read alot but here we go.... Inpa fault 59 Stall Speed. 2000 540i 150K. Faults cleared off then ...
Right after shifting into gear and stepping on gas Trans Failsafe again. Car didn't even move before fault came up.Tried to drive up on to ramps and no way thats happening. Need some help/advice on diagnosis. New to BMW .Be gentle.
Thank you
Advertisement
Old 02-22-2015, 11:12 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 535i, 528iT
Find out if the transmission fluid has ever been changed. Consider a fluid/filter change if not - using the correct type of fluid. A garage can easily pull a tiny bit of fluid out and see the color/condition. In these cars it should be an olive green colour if filled from factory.

There are multiple things it could be. A fluid change is the cheapest and easiest, and it gets more expensive after that. Could be a torque converter or other problem with the trans. No way of really knowing from 3 lines of text.

Also check your battery to see if it is strong enough. Low battery voltages can make things like transmission computers start playing up.

Do you know how fast your E39 is?
Old 03-09-2015, 04:57 PM

Mein Auto:
Sorry it's been a bit. Battery is 100 % hydrometer and load tested. I have a question about INPA - when checking transmission speed sensors the input turbine rpm reads as engine rpm in neutral. When put in gear rpm drops to zero. If i move the car rpm comes up on sensor. Is this normal /right? Sorry if it is hard to follow.
Thank you