Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 01-10-2011, 09:58 PM

Mein Auto: RX-7
CarFax Clues on 2008 550i

Hoping to buy an 08 550i CPO soon. Looking carefully at listings all over US. One interesting listing in particular is in Chicago, but the CarFax has me concerned. Can anyone comment on what I should do or how I should be thinking about it? Details: computer module checked (@6months), 'vehicle serviced' (12months),tires replaced(17months),'vehicle serviced'(18mo), brake fluid changed(21months),'vehicle serviced'(25mo), 'vehicle serviced' (28mo), brakes checked-battery checked-exterior light bulb replaced (32mo), and finally 'vehicle serviced' (35mo). It's a CPO, 46K miles, and priced just a little below average IMO.

Advice? Thanks sooo much in advance. I've been reading a lot of bimmerfest and it's been very helpful.
Advertisement
Old 01-11-2011, 06:15 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 550i M-sport
Just picked up one myself. After reading many of the boards and from my own experience, coming from a 525, I think that it's the best of the 5 series barring the M. The 525 was too slow for my taste. I was considering the 535 but was concerned about all the issues with fuel pump. The 08 550i with sport pkg has the aero package that really makes the car come to life. The torque and growl of the V8 is certainly impressive.

The things you noted above on the carfax sound normal. These cars have routine maintenance scheduled and that's what appears to be listed.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 550I
Pedro: Was provided carfax on my 08 550I CPO prior to purchase which is pretty standard. Was provided all the service records by the dealer and everything seemed clean. Then I heard about Autocheck which some members felt was more reliable. Spent the 29 bucks to see if anything showed up above and beyond the Carfax report. No red flags so felt good about the car and gave me some piece of mind... I could see the car was leased from the dealer I was buying from and the car was driven locally and serviced by the dealer so all in alll felt pretty good about it. Check out Carfax and see if there are any differences... Shouldn't be but then ya never know...
Old 01-11-2011, 07:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 530i
Looks like it's been at the dealer 2 times a year. I just bought an 04 530i, and looked at a ton of car faxes. What they dont show you is why the vehicle is serviced. Certainly it wasn't in for a brake fluid change then back in 3 months later for normal service. This is my advice... Get the vin and call a dealer and ASK the service department if they would buy this car. They might pull the "privacy info" stuff in you, you will just have to keep trying at different dealers. They will/should be able to pull all repair history. I was going to buy a 545, drove great, still had 15k on cpo warranty, car fax was clean...but then found out it had all kinds of transmission problems. Just do your due diligence...and remember buying a cpo with 54k left in warranty isn't a bad deal if you can find it for the right money. Goog Luck.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:48 AM

Mein Auto: 535xi
I would ask for a copy of the service history which would show more detail than CarFax. If that looks good then get a copy of the CPO paperwork to know what they found on inspection.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:04 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 528i/2007 328i Coupe
According to Ed Wallace (automobile expert) on Wheels, a weekly program on cars, CarFax reports have a very high degree of unreliability and are virtually worthless. They fail to document many irregularities in a car's history and should never be relied on.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:35 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 545i
Autocheck is better, atleast at reporting accidents.

'05 545i, Auto, Orient Blue, Beige Dakota,Bamboo Anthracite, Logic 7, Xenon, PDC, Premium Package, Mtec V2 AE, 19" E92 M3 Rep. Wheels, M5TEC Bumper , MTEC rear bumper, 70k miles as of 1/13.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 550i
Since the car is CPO, I would expect that the selling dealer would be willing to share the service history of the car with you. When I was buying mine, every dealer I contacted about a specific car gave me the full service history as they knew it. Since every car I was looking at was still under factory warranty, my assumption was that any service would have been performed at a BMW dealership (why have your car serviced or repaired somewhere other than the dealer if it is still under warranty and free maintenance).

Now, that won't cover any possible accidents. Agree that Autocheck is better than Carfax in showing these. But, the best approach is a thorough inspection. There are a lot of threads on this forum, and others like this, on what to look for to determine whether a vehicle has had any body work. If you can't do it yourself, pay somebody to do it for you.

Keith
Old 02-09-2011, 08:03 PM

Question Original poster...advise after more details...

I'm still considering dropping a good amount of money on something sight unseen. I try not to have unreasonable expectations but I have a few follow-up questions for the group... I have three concerns. Here's the situation. I'm considering a low mileage CPO 550i that checks out on the car fax and auto check. I've e-mailed sales agent several times and he e-mailed me the service records . My concerns are...
1. The BMW 550 is listed on BMW USA website, and has been for several weeks, but it's not on the local dealer BMW website. Should I be concerned?
2. It seems the sales agent is not very familiar with some of the warranty. The service detail clearly states 0168 MP active, 016 CPO pending and 0184 MP eligible . When I inquired about the 184 eligible, he stated that the car was warranteed to six years/100 K (CPO). (2 1/2...should I worry that CPO is pending status, not active?)
3. He has sent me about five pictures, which I do appreciate, but for this price I would expect more pictures. I asked him for more and a week ago he said had taken them, and was loading them onto the computer. He has not as of today, sent me any more pictures.

Thanks in advance for any advise, comments, or wise cracks
Old 02-09-2011, 08:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 550i
How far away from home is it? Might be worth taking a weekend trip if it's close enough. When I bought mine, I flew to San Francisco from Los Angeles, figuring if it wasn't exactly what I wanted, I could just rent a car and drive home; would have cost me about $40 for the car, so I was out $100 total, including air fare. Turns out the car was everything the dealer said it was, and I bought it immediately and drove it home that day. Your dealer ought to be willing to take a deposit over the phone to hold the car so that you can travel out to see it.

Keith
Old 02-10-2011, 12:06 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 M3 DCT
Well I feel that I can comment on the Vehicle History Report information. I was the lead architect at Experian who has a competing Vehicle History Report product and I can say this: The only Vehicle History report which is 100% is from the original car owner and you better hope he is an honest car owner. The information displayed in the Vehicle History Report, are purchased from National Companies and from Federal/State agencies. If the company or agency does not have the data, they will not display it and the report will be clean. You could drive your car into a lake, have a buddy pull it out, get the car looking perfect, sell it with a perfectly clean Carfax/Autocheck. You can only go by Service History from a dealer and an experienced body person to inform you on "damage" done to a car. Just for the hell of it, is it a private person or dealership in Chicago. PM me with the info and I may be able to help you.
-- SOLD --
08 550i M-Sport
04 BMW 545I sport
07 BMW X5 4.8I sport
02 BMW X5 4.4i sport
01 BMW 540I M/sport
00 SL500
97 SL500
Old 02-10-2011, 04:38 AM
Nothing to see here...

Mein Auto: '08 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedro_tx View Post
Should I worry that CPO is pending status, not active?
No. Don't worry. It remains in "pending" until the original factory warranty expires.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 535xi sport
Pedro,

Where in Chicago is this (suburbs or city)? If it's not too far away I would be willing to drive over, check it out and give you the run down on this car. Let me know, you can PM me if you feel more comfortable.
Old 02-11-2011, 03:42 PM

Anyone near long island NY area? ....pm me...

Thanks for all the advice, I'll take every cent! I look fwd to learning from you DIYers out there pretty soon.