Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 01-11-2011, 07:01 AM

Mein Auto: 08 535 xi
Oil lamp on

I just purched a 08 535 xi M package,heads up display,Nav, fully loaded and i've had it for about a month now both in nov of 2010 with only 29500kms now car has about 32000 kms and a week after driving it i noticied the engine oil lamp coming on when ever i turned on the car didnt think much first time owning a bmw i thought usually it gives you warning and i checked the system befor it said oil okay.tonight my wife was driving it going to walmart and she called me said the oil lamp light came on again and said very low engine oil my cause damange to engine if you keep driving it.i havent looked to see if there is any leaks or anything yet as it is dark outside will check in the morning before calling bmw..and about 2 weeks ago the engine seemed about louder then first not really noticialbe but i noticed it and i used to put 94 octain fuel but i started to just follow the manuel and put 91.. dont know if its related please let me know if any one else had this problem i love the way the car looks and drives lots of people have told me not to buy a bmw are nothing but problems but i went againts every one and got it..hopefully its nothing big please any input would be greatly app..i hate going to dealer ships because i think they fix 1 thing and cause 2 problems instead
Advertisement
Old 01-11-2011, 07:17 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 Deep Sea Blue 535xiT
Well, in this case, you HAVE to go to the dealer. Do not pass Go. Do not collect $250. Go. Now. You've got warranty remaining, which will cover anything that's wrong. This is serious.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:21 AM

thanks...i know thats why i dont mind if anything goes wrong but in the mean while you know these dealerships they tell you " oh but this is not covered" . but apperently i just got of the phone with the service girl and bmw durham and shes tells me " oh its okay its a common problem just come by and we will top of your oil" so i asked why is it burning or leaking.. she said "if you dont noticie a leak then its not leaking but its common in bmw's to get oil topped of some times between oil changes " it sounds BS dont know hopefully its not true what they say " BMW = By More Warrenty"
Old 01-11-2011, 07:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 E550 4matic
Don't get too down on yourself. Yes according to BMW, a certain amount of oil usuage is acceptable. I don't know how many quarts per 1,000 miles is acceptable. Since it is under warranty, take it to the dealer. No need to freak out it - it is one of two things - the car burns a bit of oil or the oil sensor is busted. Be glad that your dealer does not charge for topping off - some dealers do. Take the car in have them figure out what is wrong. This is clearly a warranty claim. If they need to keep it to check for a leak so be it. Also, when was the oil last changed? It could be as simple as someone not tightening the oil filter properly or a missing oil filter seal. If you are worried about doing damage to your car call BMW assistance and see if they can tow it to the dealer.

As for octane fuel -I would just stay with the Premium grade - in MD we have 93 and I wish I could use higher one.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:22 AM

okay thanks..yeah your right I will deffently take it in today and make sure they check it properly i got the car November 17 2010 so i would think they would make sure everything is topped up before they sell but like i said she was saying just bring the car in and dont worry we will just top it of and as long is it not leaking there is no problem but i will talk to the mechnic when i see him
Old 01-11-2011, 09:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
If its not leaking, just top it off and go about your way. Remember, with the conditioned based sensing, iDrive might let you go 15K miles between oil changes. In that case, it would not be surprising to need to add a quart or maybe two in that period. If you want to establish a new baseline, just go ahead and request an oil change with filter and have them reset the oil change interval in iDrive (or change it yourself if so inclined). That way you can monitor it mor closely.

Last edited by jesimmons; 01-11-2011 at 09:02 PM.