Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 01-11-2011, 03:38 PM
No User Serviceable Parts

Mein Auto: '04 545i, Schaltgetriebe
330 Too Fast for Teens?

Sobering news of a young E46 driver.

Advertisement
Old 01-11-2011, 03:48 PM
is a Texan

Mein Auto: '09 135 - 6MT - TwinTs
Truely sad.

2004 325Ci - 5MT - SOLD & MISSED
2003 3.0 Z4 - 6MT - SOLD
1967 1602 - 4MT - STOLEN
2008 328XI - 6MT - EX STOLE
1995 325i - RUSTED AWAY
2009 135i - COPS IMPOUNDING
Old 01-11-2011, 03:55 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Mein Auto: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Makes you wonder why parents do this kind of stuff for their kids. Sometimes you can truly love them to death. Just awful!

Check out my YouTube Channel for DIY's and other fun stuff HERE
Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....
Old 01-11-2011, 03:57 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
Makes you wonder why parents do this kind of stuff for their kids. Sometimes you can truly love them to death. Just awful!
I think it really depends on the kid... I know some teens who drive much better than some 30 year olds out there. In this day and age where pretty much any car you buy will have around 200hp (or 300 if you opt for the V6 models) I don't think it's unreasonable to buy a teen a 330i.

Last edited by TerraPhantm; 01-11-2011 at 03:59 PM.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 330i
While reading the article, I couldn't help but have a feeling of being utterly annoyed. I am an extremely compassionate and caring person, and I truly feel for his parents' loss; however he made way too many foolish errors. Frankly, I think he got what he had coming to him in the sense that he got into an accident (not him dying). I'm 22 and I certainly did some foolish things with the 5 speed corolla I got when I was 16, but I always had a seat belt on and I was always mindful of the people who were around me or in the car with me. The person who bought him the BMW should have been able to realize that this kid was not ready for that type of car.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:59 PM

It gets even worse:

"Two other teens in Posillico's car were injured.

One, Joseph Scapperotta, 16, is a junior firefighter with the Westbury fire department. According to police, Scapperotta's father, also a firefighter, responded to the accident scene, unaware his son was involved.

Scapperotta suffered spinal injuries and is hospitalized in serious condition."

Old 01-11-2011, 04:05 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
I think it really depends on the kid... I know some teens who drive much better than some 30 year olds out there. In this day and age where pretty much any car you buy will have around 200hp (or 300 if you opt for the V6 models) I don't think it's unreasonable to buy a teen a 330i.
My comment was based on the article. The kid already had 2 accidents and a checkered driving record. No way he'd get another car for some time.

When my daughter totaled her car (that she worked and paid for with her own money) she didn't get to drive for 6 months. AND, SHE had to work to save up money to buy another car. I promise you not only is she more careful, she understands the value of hard work.

Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Old 01-11-2011, 04:33 PM
Dreaming of Track Days

Mein Auto: ED'd 330Ci / E30 325i
Pretty much any car will easily get to 100mph. My last econobox, a 1992 Saturn with only 85hp would get to 100 in under a mile. With a kid with no skills or training, and in the wrong situation, they'd be just as dead as the kids in a BMW. Parents need to monitor their kids activity (there are devices that plug into the OBDII port and log speed, throttle opening, etc) and act accordingly. Kids also need to be taught car control in a safe environment, so that if something does go wrong they act appropriately. The problem is, most PARENTS don't have adequate car control skills (hence the need for everything to have traction control, stability control, and ABS) and also don't drive with the thought of what can happen to those around them.
.................................................. ............................................. Space for rent .................................................. ..........................................
Old 01-11-2011, 04:59 PM

Mein Auto: 330i Performance Package
Sad. Very sad.
Imola Red 2004 330i ZHP, Sunroof, Cold Weather Pkg, Assist, Navi & Leather. Upgrades: Front & Side Clear Lens, Clutch Stop & CDV Delete. 10.2006-Differential Swap to 3.46! 12.2006 - UUC SSK, DSSR and Tranny Mounts (Red).
Old 01-11-2011, 05:04 PM

Mein Auto: Alpine White 2003 325ci
It is ver sad. But as far as it making the e46 a bad idea for teens, im 17 and I don't drive excessively fast or do stupid stuff on the road. It does depend on the kid. I've been driving it for two years now and no tickets or wrecks.
- Debadged (and stayin' that way)
- ECS Smoked Front Reflctors
- Matte Black Kidney Grilles
- Smoked Fender Markers
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan2263 View Post
I think that's technically called "dirt delete".
Old 01-11-2011, 05:07 PM
L4P

Send a message via AIM to MalibuMafiaV
Mein Auto: E60 M5 & Stage 3 Audi S4
Sad. Yet stupid. He was probably going well over 100mph and it looks like it was snowy outside... not to bright at all.
BMW 2000 3-series - Supercharged Because race car SOLD
Maserati 2004 M128 GT - HREs/tint/straight piped SOLD
BMW 2006 M3 - stock - SOLD
Old 01-11-2011, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuMafiaV View Post
Sad. Yet stupid. He was probably going well over 100mph and it looks like it was snowy outside... not to bright at all.
Yup. He was probably on this site a few weeks ago wanting MORE POWER. Doesn't even know how to drive yet, but thinks the car is too slow.

Got news for these folks out there wanting MORE POWER. The car has enough. You'll be surprised how fast this car is once you learn how to DRIVE.

Last edited by mrblorry; 01-11-2011 at 05:36 PM.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:40 PM
L4P

Send a message via AIM to MalibuMafiaV
Mein Auto: E60 M5 & Stage 3 Audi S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblorry View Post
Yup. He was probably on this site a few weeks ago wanting MORE POWER. Doesn't even know how to drive yet, but thinks the car is too slow.

Got news for these folks out there wanting MORE POWER. The car has enough. You'll be surprised how fast this car is once you learn how to DRIVE.
exactly. Well Said man.
BMW 2000 3-series - Supercharged Because race car SOLD
Maserati 2004 M128 GT - HREs/tint/straight piped SOLD
BMW 2006 M3 - stock - SOLD
Old 01-11-2011, 06:03 PM
In vino veritas

Mein Auto: German Civic
For the vast majority, 16/17 is simply too young to drive without supervision. Inexperience and general lack of skill are factors (but let's be honest: most drivers suck regardless of age), but it's mostly a lack of impulse control, which is a natural consequence of adolescent development and exclusive to people of that age group. Teenagers will swear to the ends of the earth that they're competent, responsible drivers, but the statistics don't lie.

I was a model teenager by outward appearances, but I'll freely admit today that I did some extraordinarily dumb stuff behind the wheel when I was 17. I'm also honest enough to admit that I (like any one of my friends) got away with it through sheer luck and little else.

You can give the kid a slower car, but at the end of the day they'll still find a way to tempt death. For example, I had a friend who used to run through his residential subdivision at 90+ mph (at least it was an arterial road within that subdivision and not a road with actual houses on it) in an automatic 318ti with 185/65R15 econobox tires. You'll have to look long and hard to find a car produced for the US market in the past 5 years that's significantly slower than that 318 was. The only real solution is raising the unsupervised driving age a couple years and significantly improving the quality of driver's education programs across the country.

Quote:
+1

I would kill for a 325i (never mind a 330) every time I'm on the autobahn with a ~120 hp 118d or 2.slow Golf.

Last edited by akhbhaat; 01-11-2011 at 06:04 PM.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:16 PM
ROLL TIDE!

However, a BMW is one of the safer cars when it comes to accidents. Judging from the picture in the article, there wasn't any car that would have survived that impact anyways.

Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Old 01-11-2011, 06:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblorry View Post

Agreed - while I suppose I bought the M3 mostly because I wanted extra power, the ZHP was not "slow" per se. For street driving, I think it had excess power for 90% of the possible scenarios.

At the same time, who's to say the kid wouldn't have done the same thing driving any other car? A bad driver is a bad driver.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
A bad driver is a bad driver.
Very true. He wasn't wearing his seat belt either. Perhaps, and that's a big perhaps, he may have survived the crash if he'd been belted in and the airbags were allowed to do their job. He however, was thrown from the car before they had a chance to inflate.

I always wear my seat belt. At least I have ever since my head hit the windshield many years ago.

Old 01-11-2011, 06:54 PM

Mein Auto: 08 BMW 335i cabrio
I don't think the car was too fast for him. From the age of 16 -17 the only cars that I drove were sports cars, a Honda Prelude, Firebird Formula, BMW 325i e36 and a Mazda 6. I didn't do anything entirely stupid while driving these cars. In fact, I never even spinned off or got the Firebird up to high speeds. And, I only got one ticket which was in the BMW. But I do think at that age we tend to do stupid things. In my case, that was driving off with a girl that I was dating at the time sitting on the trunk of my parents Nissan Maxima. And she tried to jump off the car as I drove down the road, fell and had a seizure in my arms. Then she had to be airlifted to the hospital. So, I learned then not to play with cars. Luckily I did not get into any kind of trouble.. My dad just had to pay out $25,000 for medical bills.

I think at that age, parents should not allow their children to have friends in the car with them. Because, you'll be trying to impress your friends by driving fast and crazy. I know, because I've done it before. If his friends were not in the car with him, then maybe this would have never happened.

Currently own: [U]08 BMW 335i vert, 07 Mazda CX-7 GT (DD)
Previously owned: 03 Infiniti G35 sedan, 00 Mercedes-Benz S-430, 97 Volvo 960, 01 BMW 330i, 97 Lexus ES300, 09 Honda Civic LX, 04 BMW 325CIc, 00 BMW 323i, 97 Honda Accord EX Coupe, 99 Ford Expedition EB, 05 Mazda 6i, 94 BMW 325i, 98 Pontiac Firebird Formula WS6 "Collectors Edition", & 87 Honda Prelude Si (First car)
Old 01-11-2011, 06:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 330Ci
Wayy too much car for a kid, not only with speed but that its RWD in a norther state, they dont know how handle bad weather. Still very sad to see. We all made stupid mistakes when we where young.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 330Ci 5M sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
My comment was based on the article. The kid already had 2 accidents and a checkered driving record. No way he'd get another car for some time.

When my daughter totaled her car (that she worked and paid for with her own money) she didn't get to drive for 6 months. AND, SHE had to work to save up money to buy another car. I promise you not only is she more careful, she understands the value of hard work.
exactly!

and it wasn't just the 200-ish horsepower
it's the type of car which stimulates the teen driver to risk

if i had a kid with such a driving record, not only that i won't give him such a car as a present, i'd also not allow him to drive without me being in the passenger seat for quite some time.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:07 PM

Mein Auto: B25
No.

I'm still around, haven't crashed yet. I'm 18.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335i 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuMafiaV View Post
Uh, no. It's a two lane residential street that is only about six blocks in length. The kid ran a stop sign and T-boned the other car. The snow was from a previous storm.

This was a result of driver inexperience and parental incompetence. When your son has two accidents within a month after receiving his license you don't buy him a car for Christmas. Should have gotten him a bus pass instead.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:25 PM
Raven

Mein Auto: 1989 325ic
well

My first vehicle was a 78 custome delux chevy truck. i think that parents spoil their teens too much now days. its sad for the death of this young child but not only is he to blame but his parents also. maybe think of the consequences of teens driving cars with so much power with no discipline at all and thats what i see here. there's no way he was just driving around doing the speed limit to have this happen. i dont think someone of that age should own something with that kind of power. its just not right
Old 01-12-2011, 12:23 AM
tappa tappa toit

Mein Auto: hoopty
i had the most fk up teenage years....

when i was 16, everyone i knew left and right were getting into serious accidents and some were dying. My parents knew even MORE families whos kids were given BMWs and other new cars and motorcycles and were dying from accidents. They wouldnt let me leave the house lol... and i would always have to call and check in and crap.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:08 AM
Cogito Ergo Zoom

Mein Auto: 325iT
Sad as it is, this has nothing to do with the car and is totally the fault of the driver and his parents. Poor judgement on everyones part and lack of experience from the kid are the culprits. After two accidents in six months, this kid should not have been driving. Certainly, his parents were not smart in giving him another car(any car) but after two accidents, this kid still hadn't learned anything.

Where I live is not where I grew up. Around here, I see lots of kids with new licenses in audi's , bmw's and other expensive cars they didn't have to work for. What's even worse is the amount of kids I see on bikes capable of 100 mph in first gear. The parents are spoiling their children, not teaching them the necessary lessons and not applying the necessary discipline when needed. This is the unfortunate result.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=...?id=1338939628
"I May Be Going To Hell In A Bucket But At Least I'm Enjoying The Ride"