Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 01-11-2011, 05:09 PM

Mein Auto: E39 528i
Replacing 2002 X5 Navigation

I just got a 2002 X5. It has built in Navigation, Wich I want to replace. Am I crazy? Is it Possible? 3 days of online research into this project. It's very discouraging.

Why I want to replace OEM Nav?
Well I have an after market stereo in my 1997 528i (E39). It has GPS (09 Model), bleutooth, Rearview Camera. Ipod hook up, etc... I really want the same features transfered over, like rearview cam, bleutooth, ipod, and a Navigation screen that's not 9 years old in my newly aquired car. The current X5 GPS doesn't give me any of the 4.

Problems I ran into.
1) I could never find an after market harness for my '02 X5. The harness i find are all for non-navigation. Since connectors for built-in Nav and Non-Nav are different. I need the right one for my car.

2) I considered a retrofit rearview cam from BMW with current Nav. It will cost $1100 or more just to get rearview Camera

3) if I want bleutooh and ipod with current Nav, I can get a DICE kit from BSW for about $359.

Can anyone see why I don't want to spend about $1500 on 9 years old OEM head unit, which has poor picture quality, not clear and crisp color, to get want I am used to?

I NEED that aftermarket Harness made for car that had Navigation. PLEASE HELP!!!!

Last edited by Jameskerje; 01-11-2011 at 07:51 PM. Reason: typo
Advertisement
Old 01-11-2011, 05:13 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to ebarona61
Mein Auto: 2000 BMW 540i
Am curious what aftermarket radio do u have in ur e39? Is it a flip out?
Old 01-11-2011, 07:55 PM

No, it's not a flip out. I considered one that flips, but that would greatly increase the chance of something mechanical to go wrong so i when with this 2009 model on my 528i:

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Car_Entert...inment/DNX6140

Great unit. I have loved it for nearly 2 years now. I would love to transfer it to my X5 or maybe get a 2011 model which will come out in a couple months. But i need that harness first
Old 01-11-2011, 08:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 z3
Same Problem

I've been trying to figure out what to do with our x5. It's 2002 with DSP. I found an aftermarket stereo with most of the current features. Its an imported Chinese unit. but with the DSP I'll still have to replace the amp, and speakers and likely the wiring. Thought of just pulling the Nav screen and making a custom faceplate and sticking a Kenwood stereo in the dash.

I've seen some cool iPad entertainment systems that are very appealing. But the current iPad is too large to fit the hole. Maybe a 7" android tablet?

I can find little appealing about the current stereo. no bluetooth, cd based nav that is pricy to replace and update, no built in ipod control. And the DSP sounds best when it's off.

<
Old 01-11-2011, 08:32 PM

Face plate

There are a number of good looking double din face plates on ebay and other places

here is one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-X...fAudioQ5fVideo

I want to get rid of that OEM navigation so badly, even if I have to spend $100 for that Harness to install something else, I would
Old 01-12-2011, 01:05 PM

Mein Auto: 528i
I recently purchased an 05 x5 with a Kenwood DNX9140 already installed. Car originally had factory Nav but not sure if he made his own harnesss or not but everything s fully functional with the exception of a rear view camera.
Old 01-12-2011, 03:17 PM

boonacka,
Thanks. that gives me a great deal of hope. Your DNX9140 is a 09 model as well. It is a great unit. I considered it when I bought my DNX6140 almost 2 years ago. It was much more expensive and it would be an overkill in my e39. But now I got a bigger car the DNX9140 would look perfect. but a current 2010 DNX9960 model is available, I might get that or wait a couple months and the the 2011 DNX9980HD model that will come out in april.

To others who are interested in replacing their nav,
I have made some progress, i think, researching on how to replace my factory navigation. Here is what I understand so far:
1) the headunit is just a display. THe stereo is actually in the back near the spare tire somewhere. So those 2 connector for the display in front is not what I will need to use. They have nothing to do with speaker wires etc..
2) I will need to run wires from the back of the car, because that's where the actual OEM stereo is, to the new head unit i plan to install. Its going to be a lot of wire (at least 8 for speakers, 3 for power, 1 for an antenna, etc..)
3) It will work, but the built in amp may not be getting enough juice for the after market radio to play lound enough, so I may need to install my own amp or also use both. Which is not a problem because it will be all worth it.

I plan on keeping this car for a while so putting a few hundred dollar into an decent entertainment is all worth it.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 X5
Alpine (INA-W900BT) has a very nice navigation, bluetooth head radio that you can add both satellite radio and rear camera. It retails for $999.99 with the bluetooth.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boonacka View Post
I recently purchased an 05 x5 with a Kenwood DNX9140 already installed. Car originally had factory Nav but not sure if he made his own harnesss or not but everything s fully functional with the exception of a rear view camera.
Boonacka,
I wonder if you can send me a picture of your head unit. I would to see what stereo fram/bezel kit they used to install your aftermarket unit.

jameskerje at aol dot com

Thanks
Old 06-10-2011, 07:20 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 X5 3.0
any luck?

i'm in the same boat: factory nav trying to install Kenwood DNX7180...anyone know of a good HOW TO?