Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Old 01-14-2011, 03:01 PM

Mein Auto: BMW M3 E46 CONVERTIBLE
need fast answer

Hello. I need fast answers.

Can someone tell if this headlight is bi-xenon or normal xenon?
Came of a 05 m3 with csl package.
Will this fit my bmw m3 03model convertible?I have originally xenon on my car.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pictur.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	262289  
Ads by Google
Old 02-01-2011, 04:46 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: Porsch
The picture that you have currently provided is enough to determine whether it is normal xenon or bi-xenon. And I what I could say here is that, bi-xenon and xenon doesn't make much of a difference as they both uses the same type of bulbs, what I could say is that, the difference between xenon and bi-xenon is that xenon uses 4 xenon bulbs, and bi-xenon uses only 2 bulbs and from what it seems, the one you have is bi-xenon.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:34 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by julian85 View Post
The picture that you have currently provided is enough to determine whether it is normal xenon or bi-xenon. And I what I could say here is that, bi-xenon and xenon doesn't make much of a difference as they both uses the same type of bulbs, what I could say is that, the difference between xenon and bi-xenon is that xenon uses 4 xenon bulbs, and bi-xenon uses only 2 bulbs and from what it seems, the one you have is bi-xenon.
You're a little off... Bixenon and xenon both only use 2 xenon bulbs. Xenon uses halogen for highbeams, while the bixenons move a shutter in the projector so that the HIDs can be used for highbeams. In European cars, both the shutters and the halogens are used together for the highbeams.

OP:
All 02+ BMWs have bixenons in lieu of normal xenons. If your car truly is an 03, it has bixenons.

The one in your picture is a bixenon headlight, but it look like it's a US spec headlight. I've told you in multiple threads, but US headlights will *not* meet European standards. Our regulations call for different qualities from the projectors, and our headlights don't have a socket for your parking lights.

Last edited by TerraPhantm; 02-01-2011 at 08:38 AM.