BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Weird-Transmission failure protection

7K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  bluebee 
#1 ·
BMW 540i 1999
Can anyone help me figure out why my transmission failure protection failure light comes on randomly. Bare with me, sometimes it comes on and my radio also turns off. I can be driving and then radio will turn on, then maybe the two yellow lights come one denoting braking system problems. I can pull over, re start a couple of times and it goes away. Then this issue disappears for a week, then it reoccurs.

#3 ·
I went to advance auto parts and they tested both and said both were fine, but I have a feeling that might not be good enough. Actually I tested it a O'reilly auto parts yesterday, and in both cases, both said the battery was fine, but needed recharging, which I thought was weird especially since before I got to O'Reilly I had been driving for over one hour.

Some one tell me what is the best way to test the battery and alternator?

#4 ·
Guess what, I found out in another forum the problem was the ingnitin switch. $90 dollars and 45 minutes and voila, it was fixed.

Another bimmer dude was having similar problems with gremlins, mirror lights cutting off on and , rear window shade rising or lowering when opening the slide on the Courtesy mirror, and more.

Here is the link....To repair it.

http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/244045

#7 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.