Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 01-23-2013, 05:48 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: e39 530i/5, e28 535i
Thanks Jason5 for posting the link to the one that people should be buying! Not only is it in stock for one more lucky person right now, but it's a pack of 25 vs the 10 I got for about the same price.

[QUOTE=bluebee;7332919]This is EXCELLENT information for those of us who have not had the need just yet.

Now you tell me!

Oh I'm certainly not arguing that you can't use an RTV solution in place of the factory gasket or o-ring and that it wouldn't work in the beginning. I'm just concerned that anyone who goes that route as a quick and easy fix may encounter problems in the future in the form of a small vacuum leak. If a smoke test is not done as in most DIY jobs most of us would dismiss the DISA as a candidate as it had recently been repaired. Particularly if someone rebuilds the DISA using Gary's kit at German Auto Solutions (highly recommended, no affiliation, blah blah) it should never need to be touched again.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:17 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 automatic
For reference, this is a pretty picture of the DISA o-ring from this thread:
- Where to get a proper DISA valve repair kit (1)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	disa_o-ring.jpg
Views:	453
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	365334  
Old 03-11-2013, 09:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 E46
I used a #139 Viton and oh man, it was a really really tight fit. I thought I wasn't going to be able to get the DISA back onto the engine. Eventually got it back in after adding a little Slick Honey onto the oring.

I'm thinking a #138 might be a little better fit seeing that it's 1/16" smaller. Anyone else have trouble getting the DISA back in with a #139?

EDIT: Scratch that...I just realized this was an E39 thread and not an E46 thread. Got this link from an E46 forum...

Last edited by dznuts007; 03-11-2013 at 09:36 PM.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:27 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 528i
just a note. I just replace the disa valve an ccv on my 01 525i. A little bit of a pain. I also cleaned the icv. after a lot of research and the recommendation of a longtime bmw owner friend I joined bmw club of america for 48.00. I received a huge discount from my local bmw dealer on parts (roadshow bmw of memphis. The total for the disa,ccv an all hoses including dipstick oring an oil filter was 731.00. after discount was 484.00 including tax.. My disa looked fine but when i checked the vacuum pot it was bad. I had to replace the disa. I suggest to anyone to check with your local dealer to see what kind of discount they give for club membership. I could have bought a little cheaper on line but wasnt sure of quality of aftermarket parts. I figure I spent maybe a hundred or so dollars more but I got genuine bmw parts. the originals lasted 120000 miles. There is a disa valve check on youtube to check vacuum pot. It appears when the ccv goes bad oil is sucked into intake an damages vacuum pot diaphram in the disa or they just dry out from heat overt time. before modifying or trying to repair disa be sure to check vacuum pot. if bad there is no fix to my knowledge. With over 25 years as an aviation mechanic I can tell you its best to do it right the first time. May cost a little more on front end but will save you in the long run run. With fuel cost of today poor gas mileage can run up cost quickly. fyi I am not an employee of bmw dealership nor associated with bmw club of america other than a new member.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:15 AM
Beemer fan

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 3.0i
Back in Feb, I noticed that the gas mileage was down on the X3 3.0i. The performance was also lacking and then, I got a CEL. When I read the codes for the CEL, there were 2 that called out Lean bank 1 and Lean bank 2. I had been reading about the DISA valve and it's failure and ordered a metal replacement kit for the DISA valve. Sure enough, I received the kit, pulled my valve out and was astounded at what I found. The yellow plastic arm was completely worn out and disconnected from the valve butterfly. The stainless pin was still in the bottom (intake side) of teh butterfly holding it from falling into the intake manifold and giving me a very bad day. It took about 1.5 hrs to follow the directions and rebuild the DISA valve, along with checking the vacuum pot for function. I re-installed the valve and took it for a ride. The gas mileage is back to about 20.5 MPG combined, and 24 Hwy. I would recommend that everyone rebuild their DISA valve before the BS BMW plastic stuff causes major failure.
Old 06-09-2013, 09:21 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 5-series E39
I don't know if anyone has suggested this yet, but for the DISA, you can get square-cross-section o-rings of almost any material you like.

For example
https://www.mfpseals.com/catalog/cat...trong-nitrile-
Old 11-06-2013, 09:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 525i Touring
which o-ring material is easier to install?

Thread revival...

Which would be easier to install on a 2001 525i (M54 motor), the Viton or silicone version of the 139 o-ring?

Just now ordered a pack of 100 from Amazon of the 139 silicone version, thinking it may be easier to fit on/in the groove than the Viton version. Was going to order a 10-pack but the incremental cost of the 25-pack and 100-pack was so small, I went with a pack of 100. Figured I can help others in the future who may need an o-ring by shipping one to them for a buck or two.

Last edited by bluedevils; 11-06-2013 at 09:32 AM.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:08 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 automatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevils View Post
Which would be easier to install on a 2001 525i (M54 motor), the Viton or silicone version of the 139 o-ring?
I don't know the answer, but I would guess that it wouldn't matter from an ease-of-installation perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevils View Post
I went with a pack of 100.
Wow. 99 extras!

You could probably do a paypal-style ordering mechanism for those others who wish to stock an o-ring or two. The easier you make it for folks to order them from you, the better.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:17 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW E60 525i
Hello.

I have E60 525i. I have recentlly checked (tested with closing hole while flap in closed position) my disa vacuum membrane and it did not hold vacuum. I bought new disa valve ($tealers) and it was the same as old one. I have E60 525i M54 engine? Should it be same on E39/E60 M54 engines?
Old 11-07-2013, 07:04 AM

Mein Auto: 5281
When I had to replace the DISA o-ring in my 2003 m54 powered 325ci we found that the oil filter housing o-ring from a mid 1990's Ford Probe works perfectly. It's the same inside and outside diameters, same thickness and even made from the green oil resistant rubber. Cost about $2 at Advance Auto Parts. Ask for the 0-ring that goes between the oil filter housing and the engine block.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 525i Touring
My order of 100 silicon size 139 O-rings arrived. Unfortunately, I wasn't yet able to verify that they are the right size for the DISA on my vehicle, but I'm pretty sure I ordered the right ones after learning about the topic on this site.

Anyone who is interested in paying me a buck or two via PayPal in exchange for me mailing you one of the O-rings, send me a private message.