Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 01-17-2011, 09:05 AM

Mein Auto: 07 X3 Si M
Exterior Bulb Warning light need reset?

Hi all,

I got this light on my dash for broken brake light bulb, now I got it replaced and working.

But the dash light is still on and bothering me when driving.

Does it require a reset or automatically goes off if everything is okay?

Because I can't spot anything else, if it is supposed to be turned off automatically.

If requires a reset, how can I do this without battry disconnect?

Thanks!
Advertisement
Old 01-17-2011, 09:14 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Could it be there is another bulb out? I couldn't find my bad bulb until dusk when I could see which light was not on (the sun reflection made it impossible earlier). Perhaps taking the new bulb out and putting it back in might work. I have also seen here, but not experienced, the need to have the same base (silver) on the replacement bulb. Copper (it has been said) may not trip the sensor back. I find that difficult to understand, but I offer it as something I read here awhile back.

Last edited by UncleJ; 01-17-2011 at 09:16 AM.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:36 AM

Thanks UncleJ

The brake light bulb was one of those wedged end type. There was no silver or copper base though?
The only thing is , I couldn't find W16W bulb like the manual says. But cross referenced it and got the GE 921 type bulb. (well, it works..)

So are you saying that the warning light should turn off automatically, if everything is fixed up correctly?

Didn't see any other bad bulbs...all LED's were lid up, and this is the only light that didn't work, tested underground parking lot.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:20 AM

Mein Auto: 5
both times I replaced a bulb the light reset itself. Probably not a 100% compatible bulb.

I did replaced the rear brake light and noticed one side is brighter than the other. The x3 is equipped with a "panic" stop feature If you slam on the brakes I believe the light intensity is greater with the BMW bulbs. The replacement bulb I bought at autozone does not have this feature. The light on the dash did go out though
Old 01-17-2011, 10:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 X3 3.0si
Quote:
Originally Posted by codog2 View Post
The x3 is equipped with a "panic" stop feature If you slam on the brakes I believe the light intensity is greater with the BMW bulbs. The replacement bulb I bought at autozone does not have this feature. The light on the dash did go out though
Not sure about increased intensity - but there is a "second" brake bulb on each side that illuminates during a panic stop. It also takes over if the primary brake bulb is shot I believe.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:01 AM

Mein Auto: 06 X3 Sport
Don't forget

Check the third brake light, it is easy to overlook. Also, yes the light should go out. I would go to dealer and get exact replacement, that should take care of it.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:37 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
All of the above! You may have to bite the bullet and go get a replacement bulb from the dealer. If you are still under the OEM warranty they should replace it for you. You could also call the Audi/VW/MB parts and see if they have the W16W bulb. The VW part will probably be cheaper and if is the same bulb, so what.

Last edited by UncleJ; 01-17-2011 at 11:39 AM.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonoman707 View Post
Not sure about increased intensity - but there is a "second" brake bulb on each side that illuminates during a panic stop. It also takes over if the primary brake bulb is shot I believe.
where is this second brake bulb located?

i can't make it to turn on anyway...but at least i'd like to know where so that i can take a look....
Old 01-17-2011, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
All of the above! You may have to bite the bullet and go get a replacement bulb from the dealer. If you are still under the OEM warranty they should replace it for you. You could also call the Audi/VW/MB parts and see if they have the W16W bulb. The VW part will probably be cheaper and if is the same bulb, so what.
and this is not something CPO warranty covers?

i wonder how much they charge for a light bulb...
Old 01-17-2011, 02:17 PM

interesting find here...

I went downstairs to parking lot and scanned with OBD ii, I got the following code : P0597 OBDII code - Thermostat heater control circuit open

which to me, has nothing to do with the light bulb warning sign. (which still on now.)

anyone know what this code is all about?
Old 01-17-2011, 03:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssoh View Post
anyone know what this code is all about?
Another current thread:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=510162

Do you mean that you have the SES/CEL light on as well?
If not, maybe this is an old stored code?
Old 01-17-2011, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercourse View Post
Another current thread:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=510162

Do you mean that you have the SES/CEL light on as well?
If not, maybe this is an old stored code?
Nope, I do not have any other light other than the light bulb failure.

Maybe it's the old code then. (I don't have any overheating problem though.)

I was expecting to see something around light bulb failure, but I guess this might not be posted as a error code.

I got that P0597 and description in the software. and also next line it says P0597* (with star beside it ) and description says Pending...

I don't know what it means...
Old 01-20-2011, 08:46 PM

update: went to dealership to take a look at this warning light at dash. mechanic took a quick look at all the lights and even changes some of them using OEM bulbs, but still on.
Now, I am booking an appointment to plug into computer to see which bulb is causing this. I am out of original warranty, not sure how much they will charge for a bulb issue.

Side note: two days ago, freezing rain froze the centre circle of my condo, resulting in curbing my car front right. had to do alignment to get the steering wheel to the centre, and now looking for a rim repair guy to do a refinish on my 18" M wheel....

$$ keeps sinking down the hole...