Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E87 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)

E82 / E87 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by a naturaly aspirated inline 6 in the 128 or the turbo twin power inline 6 rocket sled 135.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-21-2014, 11:34 PM
bimmerSA bimmerSA is offline
Registered User
Location: Philippines
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 8
Mein Auto: My Feet
Exclamation E82 - 135i DSC problem

Greetings!

This bimmer is a E82 - 135i with a mileage of 9,000km and it is about 3 years old. It was brought to the dealership for diagnosis because some lights in the cluster went on like the ABS, the handbrake indicator is turned to yellow and a semi circle with an arrow pointing counter clockwise with an exclamation mark.

After diagnosis, the faults present and found are:
5DD0 DSC: HYDRAULIC UNIT: ADJUSTMENT, DSC UNIT (VALVES)
5DF0 DSC: HYDRAULIC UNIT: PUMP MOTOR
5DF1 DSC: HYDRAULIC UNIT: PUMP MOTOR CONNECTOR FAULTY

I was told that these are the jobs done in trying to solve the problem:
Checking wires and connectivities (report was no problems found with the wiring and connectivities)
Bleeding brake fluid and replacing new
Deleting fault codes but fault is persistent.

Recommedation by the dealership:
Replace DSC pump unit.

I don't mind with the recommendation. The only unlcear info is why did the dsc pump unit fail? The dealership has no definite reason for this failure.
Maybe any of you guys here had any experience with this kind of failure. What are the possible causes for this?

Thank you
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 05-22-2014, 06:54 AM
BestCS BestCS is offline
Banned
Location: Dayton, Ohio
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 398
Mein Auto: 2010 MB SLK & BMW 135i
What is a DSC Pump? Next is the car still under warranty? If so, get everything replaced!

Finally, if the dealership doesn't know exactly what the problem is, it is a stretch thinking anyone here might know!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-22-2014, 05:31 PM
bimmerSA bimmerSA is offline
Registered User
Location: Philippines
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 8
Mein Auto: My Feet
Quote:
Originally Posted by BestCS View Post
What is a DSC Pump? Next is the car still under warranty? If so, get everything replaced!

Finally, if the dealership doesn't know exactly what the problem is, it is a stretch thinking anyone here might know!
It is in relation to brakes i think specially in the ABS system. The car is not under warranty so not an option.

They know what the problem is, the only question hanging is what caused the problem.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-23-2014, 07:41 AM
SonomaZ SonomaZ is offline
Registered User
Location: Sonoma, CA
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 7
Mein Auto: 135i
It is difficult to diagnose without working on the car but I can think of a couple of reasons why you had a failure. 9000 Km in 3 years is very low millage and implies the car sits often. It is very possible it is an infant mortality failure from the factory with such low miles. It is also possible it is a corrosion problem since the car is not driven very much. Was the brake fluid changed at the two year mark? Brake fluid has a large percentage of alcohol which attracts water which sits in critical spots and causes corrosion. If you live in a wet environment (Philippines?) change your brake fluid every two years minimum regardless of miles.

Just two ideas.

Paul
__________________
It is not a mid-life crisis. It is finally completing my responsibilities so I can take care of myself!

2009 135i convertible - stock, for now.
Selling the 240 to pay for the 135


Last edited by SonomaZ; 05-23-2014 at 07:43 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-24-2014, 11:40 PM
SilverX3's Avatar
SilverX3 SilverX3 is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Australia
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,882
Mein Auto: 130i & E92 325i, E90 SOLD
I say pump or electonic module

Pump is repairable for post 08 cars
__________________
Residence - StarTrek Enterprise
Job - Captain
Current Starship Fleet:
06 130i - ROCK SOLID Performer
MY11.5 X1 Xdrive25i
2013 VW Golf R - Rising Metallic Blue
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-25-2014, 06:07 AM
bimmerSA bimmerSA is offline
Registered User
Location: Philippines
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 8
Mein Auto: My Feet
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonomaZ View Post
It is difficult to diagnose without working on the car but I can think of a couple of reasons why you had a failure. 9000 Km in 3 years is very low millage and implies the car sits often. It is very possible it is an infant mortality failure from the factory with such low miles. It is also possible it is a corrosion problem since the car is not driven very much. Was the brake fluid changed at the two year mark? Brake fluid has a large percentage of alcohol which attracts water which sits in critical spots and causes corrosion. If you live in a wet environment (Philippines?) change your brake fluid every two years minimum regardless of miles.
Just two ideas.
Paul
Yes. Brake fluid service is done once a year for this bimmer.

As per dealership, after checking everything for wire connections to sockets they said there was no anomalies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverX3 View Post
I say pump or electonic module
Pump is repairable for post 08 cars
As per present fault, it is the pump. All i just need is an answer why it failed


After some research the only info i found of one of the possible reasons is wrong tire specifications are installed in the bimmer. But the installed tires of this bimmer are stock so that is set aside.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-26-2014, 02:56 AM
SilverX3's Avatar
SilverX3 SilverX3 is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Australia
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,882
Mein Auto: 130i & E92 325i, E90 SOLD
My e92 pump failed at 26,000km.... Yes less than 20,000 miles

Outside warranty

Almost $4000 job...

Luck is not with you it was not with me either
__________________
Residence - StarTrek Enterprise
Job - Captain
Current Starship Fleet:
06 130i - ROCK SOLID Performer
MY11.5 X1 Xdrive25i
2013 VW Golf R - Rising Metallic Blue
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-26-2014, 05:08 AM
bimmerSA bimmerSA is offline
Registered User
Location: Philippines
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 8
Mein Auto: My Feet
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverX3 View Post
My e92 pump failed at 26,000km.... Yes less than 20,000 miles
Outside warranty
Almost $4000 job...
Luck is not with you it was not with me either
Yes, you got that right. How was it diagnosed? What were the reasons for the pump to fail?

As of now, still no updates from the dealership and through my research i got nothing. I'm surprised there is not that much information about BMW in the internet.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-26-2014, 01:09 PM
SilverX3's Avatar
SilverX3 SilverX3 is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Australia
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,882
Mein Auto: 130i & E92 325i, E90 SOLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerSA View Post
Yes, you got that right. How was it diagnosed? What were the reasons for the pump to fail?

As of now, still no updates from the dealership and through my research i got nothing. I'm surprised there is not that much information about BMW in the internet.
My pumped only pumped to three wheels

Dealer said could be bad fluid
__________________
Residence - StarTrek Enterprise
Job - Captain
Current Starship Fleet:
06 130i - ROCK SOLID Performer
MY11.5 X1 Xdrive25i
2013 VW Golf R - Rising Metallic Blue
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-27-2014, 12:00 AM
bimmerSA bimmerSA is offline
Registered User
Location: Philippines
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 8
Mein Auto: My Feet
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverX3 View Post
My pumped only pumped to three wheels
Dealer said could be bad fluid
Yes brake fluid was recommended to be changed as per prelimenary solution but it didn't make any difference.

I'm still searching for the reasons of the failure. It can't be just "the pump is just faulty".. You know what I mean?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-27-2014, 07:59 PM
SilverX3's Avatar
SilverX3 SilverX3 is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Australia
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,882
Mein Auto: 130i & E92 325i, E90 SOLD
Parts do fail

we are just unlucky that they fail outside warranty
__________________
Residence - StarTrek Enterprise
Job - Captain
Current Starship Fleet:
06 130i - ROCK SOLID Performer
MY11.5 X1 Xdrive25i
2013 VW Golf R - Rising Metallic Blue
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-29-2014, 05:54 PM
bimmerSA bimmerSA is offline
Registered User
Location: Philippines
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 8
Mein Auto: My Feet
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverX3 View Post
Parts do fail
we are just unlucky that they fail outside warranty
That's one thing. Though that's not a problem for me, it happens.

Its been days now, still can't find a solid reason for the failure.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-30-2014, 04:44 AM
SilverX3's Avatar
SilverX3 SilverX3 is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Australia
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,882
Mein Auto: 130i & E92 325i, E90 SOLD
If i were you....

Move on

Fix it

Sell the car

Buy a Jap car

No point losing sleeps on the car

At end of the day, its a car, its a mode of transport, its an appliance on wheels, a consumer product....
__________________
Residence - StarTrek Enterprise
Job - Captain
Current Starship Fleet:
06 130i - ROCK SOLID Performer
MY11.5 X1 Xdrive25i
2013 VW Golf R - Rising Metallic Blue

Last edited by SilverX3; 05-30-2014 at 04:46 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-31-2014, 01:21 AM
bimmerSA bimmerSA is offline
Registered User
Location: Philippines
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 8
Mein Auto: My Feet
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverX3 View Post
If i were you....
Move on
Fix it
Sell the car
Buy a Jap car
No point losing sleeps on the car
At end of the day, its a car, its a mode of transport, its an appliance on wheels, a consumer product....
No way selling the car.. It's going to be fixed next week anyways. I just can't stop thinking when it's fixed, there is not solid reason. Because if I know the reasons, I can avoid damaging the pump again. You know what I mean?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-14-2014, 08:42 PM
Guam135i Guam135i is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Guam
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 194
Mein Auto: 08 135i Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerSA View Post
No way selling the car.. It's going to be fixed next week anyways. I just can't stop thinking when it's fixed, there is not solid reason. Because if I know the reasons, I can avoid damaging the pump again. You know what I mean?
I agree don't drive this cars and something goes wrong even while parked
__________________

1970 Morris Cooper S * 2008 BMW 135i Coupe * 2008 BMW 128i Cabriolet * 2003 BMW 525i Touring * 1995 BMW M3 Coupe
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-27-2014, 03:57 PM
amirjaved amirjaved is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 2
Mein Auto:
I have same problem in my hatchback 5 door E87 same sort of signs and i can hear grinding noise when it's on speed of between 30 to 35, 40 to 45 and 50 to 55 and I have grinding noise in my steering wheel as well but 1 one thing I did had an accident in the past but from that time this problem started and even the Sytner BMW dealer don't know how to fix it. Anyone can help please guys
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-27-2014, 03:58 PM
amirjaved amirjaved is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 2
Mein Auto:
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1414450681.403502.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	472568
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-24-2015, 11:47 PM
Guam135i Guam135i is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Guam
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 194
Mein Auto: 08 135i Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverX3 View Post
My e92 pump failed at 26,000km.... Yes less than 20,000 miles

Outside warranty

Almost $4000 job...

Luck is not with you it was not with me either
Same diagnosis on my 08 128i with 21K miles
__________________

1970 Morris Cooper S * 2008 BMW 135i Coupe * 2008 BMW 128i Cabriolet * 2003 BMW 525i Touring * 1995 BMW M3 Coupe
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
135i, dsc, dsc pump unit, e82


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E87 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2015 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms