Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)

E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by either an inline 6 in the 128 or the twin turbo rocket sled 135.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:47 AM

Mein Auto: TBD
How much would it cost to make a car purely for the track? I really like that idea. I've seen many Miats's made into track cars, is that a good start to make one?

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp

Old 01-20-2011, 10:07 AM
hookersandblow

Send a message via AIM to Moeman10
Mein Auto: 1992 325is
Miata, E36 M3, E30, and some older nissan's are excellent track rats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petriej View Post
You can sleep in your car, but you can't race your house!
Old 01-20-2011, 10:49 AM
Is it Trackday yet?

Mein Auto: 05 330ci 6MT
If you don't want to be a statistic, join the BMW CCA. You'll be a member of the Golden Gate Chapter and we have an outstanding driving events program. Your first step, once licensed (no permits allowed) is to attend one of our Car Control Clinics. After that, autocross and/or track days. Get involved!

http://www.ggcbmwcca.org/

I've had the pleasure of instructing 16-19yo kids who had new, expensive cars given to them by their parents. One kid with a 135i sticks in my memory because he was appreciative and respected the car and his parents enough to take the course. I ask everyone I teach why they are at the event. This kid says something along the lines of "i want to be a safe driver of this nice car my parents gave me."

On the other end of the spectrum was the girl who said "my stupid uncle gave me this as a birthday present, do you know how much it costs?"

"You drive like old people $#@%... slow and sloppy!" - George Carlin
Old 01-20-2011, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvr826 View Post
If you don't want to be a statistic, join the BMW CCA. You'll be a member of the Golden Gate Chapter and we have an outstanding driving events program. Your first step, once licensed (no permits allowed) is to attend one of our Car Control Clinics. After that, autocross and/or track days. Get involved!

http://www.ggcbmwcca.org/

I've had the pleasure of instructing 16-19yo kids who had new, expensive cars given to them by their parents. One kid with a 135i sticks in my memory because he was appreciative and respected the car and his parents enough to take the course. I ask everyone I teach why they are at the event. This kid says something along the lines of "i want to be a safe driver of this nice car my parents gave me."

On the other end of the spectrum was the girl who said "my stupid uncle gave me this as a birthday present, do you know how much it costs?"
You know Im going to take this and the BMW performance driving class. In all honesty, I really would like to learn the proper way how to drive a performance car. I appreciate all that my parents are doing for me. Thank you for the link. How often can I take my street car or track car to the track?

Old 01-20-2011, 05:51 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via ICQ to Cactus
Mein Auto: 2011 X3 2.8i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brudda Khan View Post
How much would it cost to make a car purely for the track? I really like that idea. I've seen many Miats's made into track cars, is that a good start to make one?

I think THAT would be a great idea! You could make a killer dedicated track car and then go with a nice E30 or E36, a classic restored 2002, VW Jetta, Audi A3 or many others for a daily driver.

I hate to sound rude but we have all been there and thought we were responsible drivers, knew when to drive fast, etc. Luckily most of us lived to know better, but we also had friends that didn't.

It's very exciting to get your first car but there are many things that come later in life that are even better... everyone wants you to experience that as well.

Last edited by Cactus; 01-20-2011 at 05:52 PM.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:39 PM
Road Rager

Mein Auto: '06 Z4 SI
The 1 series is barely a BMW.

Only a total moron would put a teenager behind the wheel of an M3 and not expect a tragic ending.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Bimmer App
Old 01-21-2011, 05:50 AM

Mein Auto: 06 330i
You need a VW Jetta 2.0 Auto lol maybe a 5spd if your an alright driver, you have no idea what your up against untill your actually driving on
real highways. work your way up to a bmw lol same thing i did. and im glad i did it this way. but hey, if your parents are willing to spend
that much, go big! but i hope your a VERY responsible 15 yr old.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:23 AM

Mein Auto: E46 E89 F30(Msport)
My Mommy and Daddy did not buy my first car for me. I got a job and paid for it myself. (Just saying)
Old 01-21-2011, 06:35 AM
Bon Vivant!

Mein Auto: 2010 MB SLK & BMW 135i
Sure you should get one right away. Make sure it's the fastest model available and drive it foot to the floor. The car is extra good fun especially on wet or icy roads in the winter. Try to pick a road with a lot of big trees on either side.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:02 AM
Account Under Review

Mein Auto: Off-Brand
1st step: Visit ER room and morgue on a weekend to see what damage can be done. 2nd step: Visit local prison to interview people doing time for vehicular manslaughter.
3rd step: Find out how large the life insurance policy on you is and who is listed as the payee. 4th step: Ask your Dad exactly what he's thinking.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesberry View Post
My Mommy and Daddy did not buy my first car for me. I got a job and paid for it myself. (Just saying)
im going to have to work to pay for my gas and some insurance to show im responsible to have this car and i have to keep a 4.0. believe me guys, im not going to do anything stupid. ill take it to the track and take all necessary performance driving classes.

Old 01-21-2011, 03:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 335i Coupe
Quote:
Believe..?

In other words...why feed the troll? Clear?
Old 01-22-2011, 08:41 PM

Mein Auto: 08' 335xi, 2011 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pants View Post
The 1 series is barely a BMW.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Bimmer App
really?

I see you have a z4 3.0 si. thats what I traded to get my 135. having driven both cars, I can say the 135 is a VERY fun car to drive. and much more practical than a Z. the Z was a very tight fit for me, (6' 4") the 1 is just right with m-sport seats and for some reason feels more agile than a 335. (which I also own)

try owning one, before you disparage 1...
Old 01-30-2011, 07:07 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 Z3 2.8 Roadster
135i for a teen?

Screw all the young brats that get cars like this before they can apprieciate them. My first car was a 1960 Covair that I works all summer long to pay the $300.00 asking price. Buy a 10 year old Honda, learn to drive properly. Then, get a real job and earn a Bimmer for yourself! You'll take much better care of it when you understand what a Bimmer really is...

But, I'm not bitter.

2008 135i Convertible
1997 Z3 2.8 Roadster Sold
Old 01-30-2011, 08:04 PM

Mein Auto: 97 White 328iC
^ In a perfect world...
Old 01-30-2011, 08:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 M3 Coupe
I'm pretty young, 19, and will be 20 pretty soon. I'm probably far younger than what most people would consider appropriate for an M3 driver. My first car was a 330i ZHP, which I got when I was about 17. Now I've got a clean record and generally consider myself to be a safe driver, but there were plenty of occasions where I did stupid things in the 330 - I probably would've killed myself if I had the M3 back then.

I did work hard for this car, and if it weren't for health issues that make me unable to enjoy other aspects of life, I probably would have spent that money elsewhere, or just saved it. The car definitely needs to be respected though, it's very easy to get yourself in trouble, especially if you don't have much experience. The 135 needs to be respected just as much (I actually almost bought one instead of the E46... probably would've if they looked a little better )

Last edited by TerraPhantm; 01-30-2011 at 08:24 PM.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 M Coupe
High school is the only time in your life where everyone really cares what car you drive. So I say f*ck it, go all out! What you're gonna want is something flashy and something rare. Here are my picks for you (since you seem to have the means):

BMW 1M Valencia Orange
BMW Z3/Z4 M Coupe
Audi RS4
Nissan GT-R
Porsche 911 Turbo (996)
Porsche Cayman S
Ferrari F355 Berlinetta
Dodge Viper GTS ACR
Acura NSX
Toyota Supra Twin Turbo

I'm willing to bet that every other rich kid in Los Gatos will be driving some kind of BMW (135, 335, M3, X3, X5), so other than the 3 BMWs I listed, it's gonna be really hard to stand out in that crowd.

Good luck on your car search, and always remember to keep the racing off the streets... save it for the track!

Last edited by marin; 02-01-2011 at 05:49 PM.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:55 AM

Mein Auto: X5
M3 gets my vote. Back in HS I saw a lot of people with nice cars but sadly at least 30% of them crashed it racing and doing some stupid stuff. I'm 23 and I realized it was great to drive my old civic in HS. I saved a ton of money on gas/ maintenance. But then again I didn't come from a wealthy family. I'd say just be careful, I know you heard it too many times but its the truth.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:38 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 528i
Quote:
im going to have to work to pay for my gas and some insurance to show im responsible to have this car and i have to keep a 4.0. believe me guys, im not going to do anything stupid. ill take it to the track and take all necessary performance driving classes.
Why is it that when you claim safety or good judgment you mention performance driving training or track days? Is it your intention to outrun and outgun the dangers of the street?
Old 02-01-2011, 09:44 PM

Mein Auto: 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Chow View Post
Why is it that when you claim safety or good judgment you mention performance driving training or track days? Is it your intention to outrun and outgun the dangers of the street?
Training usually refers to an educational environment, where one tries to improve their own skills, not necessarily to outperform others, whether on track or the street.
Track days can provide this environment.
dhc3
Old 02-02-2011, 03:30 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill-sd View Post
in other words...why feed the troll? Clear?
+1
Old 02-02-2011, 06:12 AM

Mein Auto: 1999 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhc3 View Post
Training usually refers to an educational environment, where one tries to improve their own skills, not necessarily to outperform others, whether on track or the street.
Track days can provide this environment.
dhc3
There's no doubt that car control skills can greatly improved by training in controlled circumstances but safety on the street is so much more than that.

Experience, good judgment and maturity make more of a difference than clipping an apex or threshhold braking. I would argue that if you need to use any track day car control skills on the road regularly then you're a hazard.

As Sun Tzu would say: Escaping a hundred dangerous situations a hundred times is not the acme of skill. Avoiding the situation in the first place is the acme of skill.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:39 AM

Mein Auto: '02 325i
Get a 128i with manual trans and learn to drive first. You can always get a faster car later, but believe me, 230 hp is plenty.

titansilber e46 325i
Old 02-02-2011, 07:18 AM

Mein Auto: 09 335Cabrio zsp/11 335d
This post looks like BS because it is hard to believe that anyone is insane enough to turn either car over to a new driver. That said I will play along: Track training and driving classes are a good idea, but no substitute for experience in real world driving. The issue is that it just isn't what you do, it's being ready at all times for what other people do. There are so many distractions when you are a young driver, the radio, friends acting crazy, (God help them) texting over and above the normal driving issues that we all face. Add in a car with the 300Hp/300Tq or more and you are just begging for tragedy. OP, I really do hope you are a troll, because if this is serious.... I hope you have a lot of luck. N4S
Old 02-02-2011, 12:44 PM

Mein Auto: Chevy half ton pickup
A good driving course.

Skid Car course. You will experience what happens when you drive faster than the road conditions and lose control.