Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)

E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by either an inline 6 in the 128 or the twin turbo rocket sled 135.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:01 PM

Mein Auto: TBD
Well, I guess I'll just wait a year or two and drive my step moms car to get that "real world driving experience." thanks anyway guys.

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp

Old 02-03-2011, 03:08 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Chevy half ton pickup
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brudda Khan View Post
Well, I guess I'll just wait a year or two and drive my step moms car to get that "real world driving experience." thanks anyway guys.
It would still be a very good idea to take a Skid-Car driving class. You will learn a lot on how a car handles and how to avoid losing control of the car.

You will also learn the best way to recover if you ever do lose control of the car.

Last edited by Norm37; 02-03-2011 at 03:11 AM.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 335i coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brudda Khan View Post

forget what everyone here thinks, get yourself the car you want.

some of the people here are jealous. just because their parents werent able to buy a car for them when they were a teenager, they dont think anybody else deserves one.

just drive safe and do well in school to make your parents proud of you.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:09 AM

Mein Auto: '12 328xi, '11 135i
I disagree, some of us survived our teenage years and would like to see Brudda Khan do the same.
When I was 18/19 I took a Yamaha XS-1100 for a test ride, hit a 125 mph on the entrance ramp, turned around at the next exit, and returned to the dealership. I was smart enough to realize that, that bike went way too fast way too easily. Same thing here, both cars mentioned are capable of triple digits speeds in just a few seconds, and feel very comfortable at speed.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:00 AM

Send a message via AIM to jusmills Send a message via Yahoo to jusmills
Mein Auto: '04 330Ci
To the OP, although ultimately its your parent's decision to get you what you want, I don't understand why either an e46, 128 or E9X 328i wouldn't satisfy your needs (looks good, can be modified if you want to, will teach you responsibility first). At this point in time you're gonna need to get some experience and learn to drive in a dynamic environment as opposed to a track where people tend to be more experienced handling their vehicles and are driving for a purpose. Out on the streets you have to deal with other people texting, eating, shaving, etc while pushing their 2 ton machinery at up to 80 miles per hour, not to mention any other in-or-out of car distractions, plus peer pressure of being with friends and showing what the car can do. So what we're saying is that at your age you don't have very much experience with that, hell even those of us that have been driving for years at times aren't adequately prepared for what the roadways hold in store.

I understand your father may want to you to have a status symbol, however, you could exhibit your own maturity by going back and acknowledging that the car maybe more than you are prepared to handle right now. Besides the money that he saves could be used to make the car look the way you want it to, as well as do something constructive (like used toward your future education costs, or just put some extra cash in your account). Please realize that I say most of this with reservation, considering I'd be super excited about the prospect of an M-car at your age. However, many people say that they're responsible but prone to make a bad decision when pressed.

2004 330Ci ZHP | Bone Stock
Old 02-03-2011, 01:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 M Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethethe View Post
forget what everyone here thinks, get yourself the car you want.

some of the people here are jealous. just because their parents werent able to buy a car for them when they were a teenager, they dont think anybody else deserves one.

just drive safe and do well in school to make your parents proud of you.
Seriously kid get whatever you want. I don't think any one of us here would have turned down an ///M car if our parents offered to buy us one at 16. I mean seriously, what teen is going to turn that down? Even the most responsible ones are going to say "yes, please". =)

I say go to the dealer with your Dad right now and get your name on the list for a brand new 1 Series M Coupe, and load it up with every option they offer. From the sound of your other posts (and your sig) it seems like you really like the looks of the 1 series over the 3 series.

Be safe and keep up the good grades! My only real advise would be to wait a few years, maybe until you're in college, before getting a motorcycle because you really need all the real world street driving experience you can get. It's all about learning the subtle cues from the other drivers, because they are ones you really have to worry about.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:07 PM

Mein Auto: '12 328xi, '11 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by marin View Post
Be safe and keep up the good grades! My only real advise would be to wait a few years, maybe until you're in college, before getting a motorcycle because you really need all the real world street driving experience you can get. It's all about learning the subtle cues from the other drivers, because they are ones you really have to worry about.
The nice thing about bikes is there are very few distractions, at most you can have is one passenger, impossible to text with hands on handlebars, and not having a steel cage around tends to make you more aware of your enviroment.
Actually I would love it if everyone had to log a few years on motorcycles before they were allowed to get a automobile license, I think the average level of driving would increase.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 M Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by sno_duc View Post
The nice thing about bikes is there are very few distractions, at most you can have is one passenger, impossible to text with hands on handlebars, and not having a steel cage around tends to make you more aware of your enviroment.
Actually I would love it if everyone had to log a few years on motorcycles before they were allowed to get a automobile license, I think the average level of driving would increase.
I completely agree that driving a motorcycle makes you a better driver because you are more in tune with the machine and your surroundings. But it's not only yourself you have to worry about, it's everyone else. There are lot of terrible drivers out there, and you really have to learn to read their next move (which isn't always possible anyway). At least with a steel cage you have a chance of walking away from an accident.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:30 PM

Mein Auto: TSX 6 Spd
Talking Gran Turismo and Steering Wheel First !!!

Until you make up your mind on which to get....I opt for the 135i personally. If you could, wait for the M would be even better.

Getting a motorcycle license wouldn't hurt either, no pun intended. I am pretty certain that you can get at least a permit for now to practice with.

On a bike you are much more cognizant of the physics of speed as well as weight transfer and proper braking which aren't as recognizable in a car.

Until you take delivery of your new car....and during the winter....

Make sure to get Gran Turismo 5 and a nice wheel and pedal setup for your PS3, where they have the M3 and the new 135i.
Even an M5 or a plain jane 330i to compare them to.

You can drive them to the limits on the Nurburgring and apply what you've learned in your planned driving courses and compare your times and which car you prefer.

There is also a M3 Race car that is an absolute blast to drive !!!! Incredible handling and killer brakes !!!

Gran Turismo is an excellent simulator and does teach one instinctive responses to driving fast and maintaining control. The concepts are all the same.

When you do finally get behind the wheel of a real car, after taking some real driving school courses.

And having practiced on Gran Turismo you'll know what to do when a car oversteers or understeers and when to do it and not become another statistic.

Last edited by E21_Fan; 02-07-2011 at 02:34 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:28 PM

Mein Auto: TBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by E21_Fan View Post
Until you make up your mind on which to get....I opt for the 135i personally. If you could, wait for the M would be even better.

Getting a motorcycle license wouldn't hurt either, no pun intended. I am pretty certain that you can get at least a permit for now to practice with.

On a bike you are much more cognizant of the physics of speed as well as weight transfer and proper braking which aren't as recognizable in a car.

Until you take delivery of your new car....and during the winter....

Make sure to get Gran Turismo 5 and a nice wheel and pedal setup for your PS3, where they have the M3 and the new 135i.
Even an M5 or a plain jane 330i to compare them to.

You can drive them to the limits on the Nurburgring and apply what you've learned in your planned driving courses and compare your times and which car you prefer.

There is also a M3 Race car that is an absolute blast to drive !!!! Incredible handling and killer brakes !!!

Gran Turismo is an excellent simulator and does teach one instinctive responses to driving fast and maintaining control. The concepts are all the same.

When you do finally get behind the wheel of a real car, after taking some real driving school courses.

And having practiced on Gran Turismo you'll know what to do when a car oversteers or understeers and when to do it and not become another statistic.
Thanks for the great ideas! And yes I have the g27 logitech wheel which I use with the online simulation, Live For Speed. Very helpful

Old 02-08-2011, 06:39 AM

Mein Auto: 128i convertible
Grudda Khan,

I am so sorry to hear of what happened to your brother. I hope your family has recovered. I am the father of a son and daughter who are 10+ years older than you. So that is my perspective. Both my son and daughter are great young adults. Both had wrecks in their first couple years of driving. The "kid car" was at first my wife's old Ford Taurus. It was in good mechanical shape but had close to 100,000 miles on it. My son rolled it off an earthen dam. He wasn't hurt, fortunately he went down the back side and not into the water. I don't think he was driving real aggressive but it had just rained a little and the dam was mud that got real slick. I think he wanted to get home before me, we were both coming from my daughter's sweet sixteen birthday party where he did the music. Mostly he just used bad judgement in taking the mud road - especially after it rained.

My daughter's first wreck was a fender bender pulling into a parking space. She wanted an "up-front" space at church where she was coming to volunteer to babysit. She was going the wrong direction to pull into the parking place she wanted and hit the back fender of a black Maxima belonging to a friend of mine. Only cost $800 to fix the fender, I made her pay half. She didn't have another wreck until less than a year ago when she hydroplaned going home and totaled the 2 year old Elantra I had purchased for her. That was not a judgement thing, she just didn't know what to do when the car started moving a little because of the hydroplane. I will probably send her to a BMW course - not the M school - soon to try and help her develop more skill.

There are multiple drawbacks to beginner drivers driving fast powerful cars. Driving too fast on the street is only part of it. Your friends are likely to encourage you in this direction, are you the kind of person that likes to get along with others? If so, you will probably, at some point, give in to pressure and do it. Using poor judgement about which road to take, what parking space you can fit into, etc. are also risks. When you are driving an older car, if it is "hurt" the bills are not so big. When you drive an expensive car, the bills go up disproportionately as does the insurance.

A 128i is not a slow car, as some of the 135i drivers suggest. It is about the same quickness as a e36 M3. It has almost identical horsepower. It is what I drive. It will do a 15 second quarter mile (with a manual). Many "muscle cars" from the time I was your age are slower despite much larger engines. Of the current BMW fleet it is the best for a young driver who wants to be good. To make a 128i go fast, you need to have it in the right gear. With a 135i, all you do is mash the pedal to the floor. Not much skill involved in that. You should read Mike Miller's piece in the Roundel on the 128i. Mike writes the "fix it" column for the Roundel. He is a very experienced BMW mechanic and very knowledgable on BMWs.

Even better would be to drive an older car worth less for a couple years until you have a chance to develop the necessary judgement and the skills become ingrained. There is no shame in this, everybody follows the same path. Something like a Maxima or Mustang would still be sporty but not so expensive.

Lastly, I would be more worried about getting help from my father if I were you, with college expenses than with a nice new car. Around here, it seems fashionable to some to give their kid a fancy car to brag about and then stiff them on college. Getting a good education is much more important. My kids drove cheap cars but had no college loans to pay off. Better way to go IMHO.

Jim
Old 02-08-2011, 09:24 AM

Nurburgring Nordschleife Test Track

Brudda Kahn,

I just checked out Live for Speed site...looks like fun. Only one problem.....

Not many BMW's...except the BMW Sauber open wheel race car.
Gran Turismo even has at least a dozen, The 330i, M3, M3 CLS, M5, 120i, 135i, to name a few.
It even has the 73 BMW 2002 tii, the first high performance pocket rocket similar to what the 135i is patterned after today.

Those of us who love these cars as drivers cars vs a fashion statement enjoy their "Freude am Fahren". Or sheer driving pleasure of these automobiles.

BMW's have a handling characteristic called trailing throttle oversteer that are inherent to all BMW's and why they handle corners so well.

Essentially this is what makes BMW's able to perform a controlled slide around the corners pointing one's car around the corner to the exit.

It can be a blessing if one knows how to use it OR it can be a disaster to someone who doesn't.
I recommend that you Learn first then apply to a real BMW. Simply YouTube BMW crashes to exemplify how not to drive a BMW.

The Simulator Gran Turismo has actually captured this handling characteristic in the BMW models as well as the Audi's and Porsches distinctive handling and can be driven to the limit, as the real thing can be.

Also, as I had mentioned it has the Nurburgring Nordschleife which is the hallmark test track of ALL German car manufacturers. Even the Americans are testing their cars there now with the Corvettes abd Cadillac CTS/STS models.

SO learn to drive that Nurburgring in under 7 minutes and you will know how to handle a car under highspeed braking AND cornering situations.
Before you get behind the wheel of a real one.

If you don't believe me then simply Take a look at the military and commercial aviation industry.

How do pilots learn to fly new aircraft when transitioning to a new one ?
Do they simply sit behind the yoke of a new Airbus 360 or an F-22 Raptor with a manual on their lap ?

No, they practice on the plane's simulators to learn the cockpit as well as the handling characteristics first before risking their multimillion dollar aircraft AND their lives.

If you want to appreciate the true virtues of a BMW besides it being simply a fashion accessory to show off with to your friends, like a new Breitling wrist watch, then learn to drive one first.

You'll appreciate the true virtues of your new BMW all that much more AND keep yourself out of trouble.

Last edited by E21_Fan; 02-08-2011 at 09:28 AM. Reason: typos
Old 02-28-2011, 07:33 PM

Mein Auto: 335xi
Good luck and be careful. My son is 17 and drives a 2006 VW GTI. When we bought it for him, people on the GTI forums said that we made a mistake and that the GTI was too much car for a teen. I think it's a great car for him though, and he has proven me right. Only you know what you are capable of.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:14 AM
OEM Hoe....

Send a message via AIM to Killjoy
Mein Auto: 1999 M3, 2002 tii
Quote:
73 BMW 2002 tii
I can agree with that car. Khan, if anything dude, and my dad was throwing down cash like no other, I'd take a cool 15-20k and get a vintage, period-correctly modified '72 or '73 '02 tii. Screw all these new cars dude, you can get a beautiful '02 tii for that cash, and not only will it be super unique, but its very sporty, powerful considering its age size, and you can't really get into absurd speeds in them, so its perfect for teenage drivers.
i love my '02 tii, I got it when I was 20, and honestly it's the coolest car I've ever owned, and I've had quite a diverse number of vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmy_bimmer View Post
Oh your talking about THAT hole.. yeah thats an inspection hole
Old 03-01-2011, 01:53 AM

Mein Auto: '04 545i spt pckg
I dont know , this guy looks suspicious with his thread....or he is wayy too spoiled.

Sorry it im wrong. :-)

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Bimmer App
Old 03-02-2011, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belarus27 View Post
I dont know , this guy looks suspicious with his thread....or he is wayy too spoiled.

Sorry it im wrong. :-)
Why? His Dad is buying the car for him and has set a price-limit.

Brudda Khan has come on these forums just like anyone else asking for pre-purchase advice.

Is he spoiled because he lives in an affluent neighborhood?

Los Gatos, California The 2007 median income for a household in the town was $116,568

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Gatos,_California

Notable past and current residents:

A. J. Allmendinger - Race car driver

Ryan Nyquist - Professional BMX rider

The complete list is pretty impressive. Athletes, Artists, Authors, Inventors etc.

Last edited by Norm37; 03-02-2011 at 03:17 PM.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:09 PM

BMW 2002 tii.....the original Ultimate Driving Machine

$116K Median Income is not all that high in all honesty Especially in California with their higher cost of living.

Khan also claimed that his Dad owned a Ferrari 430 as well...which doesn't really add up.

Prior to my BMW....

I fortunately had learned on my parents manual transmission Volvos to learn rear wheel drive handling in the snow to practice with prior to owning my BMW.

I was trying to convey that to this kid but I think we lost him when I pointed out his needing to first seek a car in which to learn on or by using the Gran Turismo Driving simulator before getting behind the wheel of the real thing. And potentially screwing up.

That's fine though, it's his License and Insurance. He'll learn.

A GTI which I also have owned, having less power is considerably more suited for new drivers in all honesty. There is No real comparison powerwise to a Turbo Charged 135i or an M3 BMW in which to get yourself into trouble.

A 2002 tii would be a great car for a young driver , as my E21 was, but in looking at it's age and from a perspective of parts and maintenance it might be relegated to the occasional driver while waiting for parts to arrive from Germany ....if even available.

Great cars though...nice and lightweight....with plenty of power....the original Ultimate Driving Machine !

Old 03-04-2011, 04:14 PM

Smile

Quote:
$116K Median Income is not all that high in all honesty Especially in California with their higher cost of living.
True! Los Gatos does have some nice neiborhoods though.

I did a quick google on real estate prices.

http://realestate.aol.com/listings-Los_Gatos-CA#

Their are some very rich people in the California Bay Area. Especially in the cities from San Francisco to San Jose.

Quote:
Khan also claimed that his Dad owned a Ferrari 430 as well...which doesn't really add up.
I don't think only singles drive them. I am sure some of those that own a Ferrari 430 are fathers.

I was stationed at the Presidio of San Francisco from 1970 - 1976.

A young enlisted E-4 that worked with me drove a 911 Porsche. His Mom bought it for him so he would have something to drive while he was in the Army

If Moms can buy Porsches for their children. Dads should be able to buy BMWs

Last edited by Norm37; 03-04-2011 at 04:34 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:07 PM

The MSRP for a Ferrari F430 is $186,925 to $217,310 in the USA

My point was that though 116K median is high by some standards, but it isn't high for California where salaries are considerably higher due to the higher cost of living.
As well as the homes being valued in the Millions of Dollars.

In my field of Computer Engineering which is very prevalent in the Bay Area, at the likes of Apple and IBM, Cisco, and HP, the starting salaries in California these days out of a reputable engineering school is around $90-100K depending on how good your grades are AND how much experience you have.

For the same reason most people earing $50K annually aren't driving around in new $60K Corvettes, With $200K income, its still unlikely that you can afford a Ferrari.

As well as an M3 for your teenager to bomb around in.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:31 PM

Mein Auto: 08' 335xi, 2011 135i
Quote:
My point was that though 116K median is high by some standards, but it isn't high for California where salaries are considerably higher due to the higher cost of living.

In my field of Computer Engineering which is very prevalent in the Bay Area, at the likes of Apple and IBM, Cisco, and HP, the starting salaries in California these days out of a reputable engineering school is around $90-100K depending on how good your grades are AND how much experience you have.

For the same reason most people earing $50K annually aren't driving around in new $60K Corvettes, With $200K income, its still unlikely that you can afford a Ferrari.

Its all about the circumstances. my household income is a bit over 100K, but I have a 135i, and my wife drives a 335xi. we have no kids, our house is payed for, and where we live has some of the lowest cost of living around. we can afford to treat ourselves after working hard for over 20 years.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:41 PM

Quote:
I was kind of shocked when I googled and the 2007 medium income was only $116K. Not sure why it is so low?

Quote:
Apple's co-founder Steve Wozniak has one of the most unique houses in an exclusive area of Los Gatos in the San Francisco Bay Area.

http://handbags.luxist.com/2006/09/0...ozniaks-house/

Did you read the Link I gave in an earlier reply on Los Gatos, California?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Gatos,_California

Check out the section on, Notable past and current residents.

Quote:

His Dads income could be above those figures.

Last edited by Norm37; 03-07-2011 at 04:49 PM.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:24 AM

Sorry but I didn't read it. It really isn't that important to me in all honesty.

My interest is in 1 Series BMW's and is the reason as to why I am here.

Old 03-08-2011, 08:27 AM

Mein Auto: 128i convertible
With respect to texting being impossible on motorcycles (with your hands on the bars) that is true but it is also impossible in a car with both hands on the wheel. It's been awhile since I had a motorcycle as regular transportation but it is possible to remove the return spring on the throttle so you can use two hands on other things. It is easy to take the right hand off the brake side and do other things with it. Stupid people find a way - in other words.

I do not want my son to ride a motorcycle because he has poor peripheral vision. He sees what is right in front of him. That is not all bad but on a bike, you absolutely must avoid a collision. So you really need to be aware of everything. I was probably lucky but I also think my peripheral vision helped. I did not have a significant accident in the ~50K miles I put on motorcycles. I will not share all the stupid things I did but it included riding with no hands on the bars for brief periods.

Jim
Old 03-09-2011, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Sorry but I didn't read it. It really isn't that important to me in all honesty.
Yet you had the nerve to comment on a reply that I made to Belarus27.

I knew $116,568 seemed kind of low. So I gave additional information about Los Gatos.

This was to show that their are some very wealthy people who live in that town

Which you thought was not important enough to read before you took part of what I had to say.

Then used it to make the following claims.

"Khan also claimed that his Dad owned a Ferrari 430 as well...which doesn't really add up."

So in your opinion Brudda Khans Dad can't afford a Ferrari let alone an M3 for his son.

New Hampshire has annual income of $65,028. Why are you checking on BMWs?

Quote:
My interest is in 1 Series BMW's and is the reason as to why I am here.
I wish that where true! I thought it was to butt in and lecture me on the replies I send to others

Last edited by Norm37; 03-09-2011 at 04:28 AM.
Old 03-16-2011, 02:52 PM

Sorry Norm, I don't partake in pissing matches. Go find someone else to bicker with !

Life is too short and I have a nice motorcycle that I am going to carve some nice corners with !

Mit Freude am Fahren !