Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 01-19-2011, 07:46 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X5 50i, M3
Has anyone used Google maps/BMW assist?

i have set up my account and continue to receive "message succesfully sent to car"! to no avail. maybe i'm doing something wrong? something tells me that my old 535 is getting tons of new messages because they have not switched me over...

anyone else experience the same issues?

2013 E70 X5 50i, Saphirschwarz, Dark Burl Walnut Trim, Multi-contour Seats, Sports Activity Package, Premium Sound, Running Boards

2012 E92 M3, Jerezschwarz, Dinan Lower Control Arm Monoball Kit, Dinan Racing Rear Toe Link, Dinan Front Carbon Fiber Strut Tower Braces, Dinan Stage 1 Suspension, Dinan 3:62 LSD, Dinan Underdrive Pulley Kit, Dinan High Flow Carbon Intake, BPM stage 1 and DCT tunes, Passport 9500ci, LI Dual
Ads by Google
Old 01-19-2011, 07:52 AM

Mein Auto: BMW F10 535D MSport
It works fine for me, although it sometimes takes a while (up to a day) to go through to the car. Just depends how busy the Google servers are I guess.
535d MSport Carbon Black / Black Nappa / Fineline Anthracite | Visability Pack | HUD | ACC | Adaptive Drive | Folding Seats | 4 Zone Climate | Surround View | Pro NAV | USB Audio | Professional Audio | Sun Roof | Comfort Seats | Heated Seats Front / Rear | Professional Rear Seat Entertainment.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerUKF10 View Post
It works fine for me, although it sometimes takes a while (up to a day) to go through to the car. Just depends how busy the Google servers are I guess.
yes as i suspected i think this is an issue of not bringing over the old account from my e60 to the f10. was just wondering if google connection was down completely, now i will go fight BMW. thanks guys!

2013 E70 X5 50i, Saphirschwarz, Dark Burl Walnut Trim, Multi-contour Seats, Sports Activity Package, Premium Sound, Running Boards

2012 E92 M3, Jerezschwarz, Dinan Lower Control Arm Monoball Kit, Dinan Racing Rear Toe Link, Dinan Front Carbon Fiber Strut Tower Braces, Dinan Stage 1 Suspension, Dinan 3:62 LSD, Dinan Underdrive Pulley Kit, Dinan High Flow Carbon Intake, BPM stage 1 and DCT tunes, Passport 9500ci, LI Dual
Old 01-19-2011, 08:15 AM
SFBimmer

Send a message via AIM to brott
Mein Auto: 2011 550i M Sport
Works great for me.....info hits the car within minutes, however did have to call BMW Assist to confirm the correct e-mail was setup in their system.
2002 530i Jet Black/Black, SP (Retired)
2003 330ci Titanium Silver/Black SP (Retired)

Last edited by brott; 01-19-2011 at 08:16 AM.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brott View Post
Works great for me.....info hits the car within minutes, however did have to call BMW Assist to confirm the correct e-mail was setup in their system.
yeah unfortunately i have gone through that process. back to the drawing board!

Old 01-19-2011, 11:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i Xdrive
Tried it a couple of times and it worked flawlessly. Great feature.
I did not measure how long before it got to the car.

Now we (in NA) need the iPhone app that allows us to send it directly from the iPhone "on the fly". It's easier to find certain things on the iPhone's Google map then using the car's GPS address entry system.

Last edited by Alter; 01-19-2011 at 11:13 AM.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by highyo View Post
yeah unfortunately i have gone through that process. back to the drawing board!
You're not the only one with the problem. It won't work for me either....I've been on the phone with BMW Assist and BMW Customer Service.....Now, I'm being told that I may need a software upgrade, but my service manager is not confident that will solve the problem. BMW Customer Service admitted to me that BMW has been having problems with Google for the past several months. I too have been frustrated by this. But, then I remind myself that it's not the end of the world.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:34 PM

Mein Auto: Honda
Is this feature avail in the US?
Old 01-20-2011, 12:51 AM

Mein Auto: 5 series
Quote:
Originally Posted by shergill View Post
Is this feature avail in the US?
Yes, it works well in US and Canada.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsf1993 View Post
You're not the only one with the problem. It won't work for me either....I've been on the phone with BMW Assist and BMW Customer Service.....Now, I'm being told that I may need a software upgrade, but my service manager is not confident that will solve the problem. BMW Customer Service admitted to me that BMW has been having problems with Google for the past several months. I too have been frustrated by this. But, then I remind myself that it's not the end of the world.
caps lock didn't work. back to square 1. will be on with BMW assist again soon. oh well. you're right, it's not the end of the world, but i got used to it with the E60. it's MUCH easier than inputing while you drive etc.

Old 01-20-2011, 05:03 AM

Mein Auto: 535i Xdrive +'01 Corvette
Works great for me. I tried it a few times just for fun and within minutes the car received the maps. Great feature!
Old 01-20-2011, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesight1 View Post
Works great for me. I tried it a few times just for fun and within minutes the car received the maps. Great feature!
thanks for rubbing it in

Old 01-20-2011, 01:59 PM

Mein Auto: 11 535i + 07 911 Targa 4
Mine works on my 535 as well Highyo, you are going to BMW Assist and messages to find it, correct?
Old 01-20-2011, 03:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 M6 GC CP
Exclamation

Google maps is great and the routes sent via BMW Connected drive WORK now, they were crap.
However google search is very poor and has not been improved from the start of 2010
It's NOT comprehensive just limited.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 X5 3.0
I have had the same problem. Was sending to the car with no problem, than it just stopped working. Took me multiple calls to BMW assist until i finally got a hold with someone that had experience with this issue. It was a simple fix for me. Hopefully it is for you as well. If you have multiple bmw assist accounts or have had a previous assist account, from time during an update they can get mixed up. In my case I had a 2007 530i with assist. Even though it did not have the the google maps function somehow the wires got crossed. while on the phone, the assist rep wiped out the old account and voila i am back in business!

Let me know if this is applicable to you and if it works.
Old 01-21-2011, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrycp View Post
I have had the same problem. Was sending to the car with no problem, than it just stopped working. Took me multiple calls to BMW assist until i finally got a hold with someone that had experience with this issue. It was a simple fix for me. Hopefully it is for you as well. If you have multiple bmw assist accounts or have had a previous assist account, from time during an update they can get mixed up. In my case I had a 2007 530i with assist. Even though it did not have the the google maps function somehow the wires got crossed. while on the phone, the assist rep wiped out the old account and voila i am back in business!

Let me know if this is applicable to you and if it works.
Thank you barry i will work on it this weekend (my understanding is that you need to call from the car) and hopefully we can start fresh. I love this feature.

Old 01-21-2011, 04:57 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Question on this: If I go on Google maps and customize my route by dragging it to the location that I want, will that route show up in the Nav? Or does it just take the destination and use it's own logic to figure it out.

If the former, a good (and easy) way around wonky routing characteristics for routes known in advance. Especially as most often I'm doing that anyway even on my computer to avoid known traffic problems. For instance, going from DC metro up to Eastern PA, Google Maps (as well as most nav systems) want me to take 495 / 95 up. But that subjects you to multiple construction zones as well as weekend East Coast 95 traffic. Going up Rt. 15 through Gettysburg then Harrisburg might be 30 miles longer, but it ends up being about an hour shorter nontheless.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 f10 550iX M Sport
Can anyone provide me with the steps necessary to set this up in my car? I have not used it yet, nor the bmw assist.

Thanks,
Old 01-21-2011, 05:21 AM
now driving number eight!

Mein Auto: 2007 S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Question on this: If I go on Google maps and customize my route by dragging it to the location that I want, will that route show up in the Nav? Or does it just take the destination and use it's own logic to figure it out.

If the former, a good (and easy) way around wonky routing characteristics for routes known in advance. Especially as most often I'm doing that anyway even on my computer to avoid known traffic problems. For instance, going from DC metro up to Eastern PA, Google Maps (as well as most nav systems) want me to take 495 / 95 up. But that subjects you to multiple construction zones as well as weekend East Coast 95 traffic. Going up Rt. 15 through Gettysburg then Harrisburg might be 30 miles longer, but it ends up being about an hour shorter nontheless.
I'm pretty sure all you are sending is the destination address, not the route.

Can send a "way point" like Gettysburg in addition to the final destination address as a way to accomplish what you are wanting to do.

"sometimes you're the windshield .... sometimes you're the bug"

2014 328i Mojave Metallic
2009 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 Honda S2000 Berlina Black
(Hey Jim... am I diversified?)
Old 01-21-2011, 05:47 AM
Qualityhound

Mein Auto: 2011 535Xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by laser View Post
I'm pretty sure all you are sending is the destination address, not the route.

Can send a "way point" like Gettysburg in addition to the final destination address as a way to accomplish what you are wanting to do.
I agree. Also, with the dynamic routing and live traffic feature enabled, my nav picks the fastest route around congestion whether or not I used Google maps or just entered an address myself. it redirects me maybe 1/3 of the time on all routes, based on traffic, and I've learned it is almost always right. The few times it has been wrong, it's been terribly wrong (as in, flawed map data from the provider). Even though I can use my iPhone or Garmin systems, I use my Nav in the car almost all the time because of the traffic feature.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:58 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Phooey.

Yes, I could do intermediate destinations. That's what I usually end up doing.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:14 AM

I called from the car a bunch of times and the only time that i got resolve was when i called from outside of the car.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:52 AM

Quote:
I called from the car a bunch of times and the only time that i got resolve was when i called from outside of the car.
what number did you call?

Old 01-21-2011, 12:38 PM

1-888-333-6118
Old 01-21-2011, 12:55 PM

Quote:
1-888-333-6118
Thanks Barry, I gave them a shot and hopefully will have some satisfaction!