Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series

3 Series / 4 Series
The 3 Series / 4 Series Forum. If you would like to see all new posts in all the forums, click here.

Old 01-27-2004, 08:52 PM

Mein Auto: 1
320i in-tank fuel pump?

HI, I am trying to trouble shoot a no start on a friends 1982 320i, multi port fuel inj. 4 cyl. I found no fuel pressure in the system and disconnected the fuel line at the fuel distributor to find no pressure either. I disconnected the hose to the main fuel pump outlet and cranked the eng. while still no fuel was visible. While my friend continued cranking, I tapped on the main fuel pump and bingo, she flowed like a champ. So I figured it was a no brainer, and had him order a new fuel pump. He installed it, but still no fuel press. Now assuming he installed it properly, and yes there is plenty of gas in the tank and 12v available to pump w/ good ground, what is going on here? I am looking at a diagram of the fuel system and can see an electric fuel pump inside the fuel tank. I am unable to find any literature to explain why a fuel pump needs a fuel pump. If this in-tank pump were to fail, would that leave the main fuel pump high and dry? Any explanation of this "pre-pump", ideas of what may be the problem, or any help you could offer would be so much appreciated. Thank you.
Ads by Google
Old 01-27-2004, 09:03 PM
just copacetic!!!

Mein Auto: 2013 328i, 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightsurfride
HI, I am trying to trouble shoot a no start on a friends 1982 320i, multi port fuel inj. 4 cyl. I found no fuel pressure in the system and disconnected the fuel line at the fuel distributor to find no pressure either. I disconnected the hose to the main fuel pump outlet and cranked the eng. while still no fuel was visible. While my friend continued cranking, I tapped on the main fuel pump and bingo, she flowed like a champ. So I figured it was a no brainer, and had him order a new fuel pump. He installed it, but still no fuel press. Now assuming he installed it properly, and yes there is plenty of gas in the tank and 12v available to pump w/ good ground, what is going on here? I am looking at a diagram of the fuel system and can see an electric fuel pump inside the fuel tank. I am unable to find any literature to explain why a fuel pump needs a fuel pump. If this in-tank pump were to fail, would that leave the main fuel pump high and dry? Any explanation of this "pre-pump", ideas of what may be the problem, or any help you could offer would be so much appreciated. Thank you.
I had a '77 320i that started jerking and cutting off sporadically - was diagnosed to have some kind of contamination in the fuel tank, possibly from muddy runoff during a rainstorm that seeped into the gas station's tanks. Dealer had to remove the entire fuel tank and have it steam cleaned(?) and change the fuel filter - it was all clogged. You might want to have your filter checked as well as the injectors.
'89 325i Bronz, AT(retired)
'02 325i StlGrey, AT, PP, SP
'13 328i AlpWhite, AT8, Xenon, HK
Old 01-27-2004, 11:46 PM
Butting back in

Mein Auto: GS500F
If your 320 is set up like my 325, there's a main pump outboard and a transfer pump in-tank. There's a particulate filter on the transfer pump - one thing to do is pull the transfer pump from the tank and clean that filter. The main pump will have trouble pulling fuel if the transfer pump is clogged - or if it isn't running (the transfer pump is fuel-cooled, so if you run near empty, you can burn it out). Also, the easy stuff - check connections, and put in a new fuel pump fuse and relay.

Get a Bentley - they're great.