Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW

General BMW
Use this forum to talk about general BMW news/stories and to chat with fellow enthusiasts about the direction that BMW is going in for their cars and/or motorcycles!

Old 01-24-2011, 04:01 PM

Mein Auto: F10 520d
Android App?

Am aware that there's a pretty good BMW App for iPhone (incl. Connected Drive?), but I haven't found anything for Android yet - anyone aware of anything available, or plans to make it available, or perhaps you've seen some other decent non-BMW-produced Android Apps for BMW?

Cheers.
Matt
Advertisement
Old 01-24-2011, 04:29 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 5 series
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_London View Post
Am aware that there's a pretty good BMW App for iPhone (incl. Connected Drive?), but I haven't found anything for Android yet - anyone aware of anything available, or plans to make it available, or perhaps you've seen some other decent non-BMW-produced Android Apps for BMW?
There is no official Android App available at this point.
And I doubt any 3rd party software can access BMW assist feature.

Only the Internet Radio part of the BMW Connected is easily done by 3rd party software.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:06 PM

Mein Auto: Rickshaw
Suggested apps for BMW & Android developers:

1) BMW assist for android
2) BMW connected drive for android
3) Full internet access on the car's display using Android phone's internet connection (currently not available in US)
4) BMW app for Google's voice operated services
5) Call recorder app
6) An app to remotely access a PC or a hard drive from the car
7) Those with Comfort Access....why carry the fob? The car should unlock and the engine should start when you carry your "android" with you!
8) Android to remember where F10 is parked and ability to provide navigation if required.
9) A distress signal should be sent to the phone by the car in case tampering is attempted...a live view of the car should appear on the phone using side & rear view cameras (after all, they should have "some" use other than parking)
8) A solar panel to power the fan to control cabin temperature when the engine is off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_London View Post

Cheers.
Matt
Old 02-03-2011, 08:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535ix Msport
I think BMW is targeting a higher-end market than the android carrying crowd.

--
Sent from my iPhone
Old 02-04-2011, 12:42 AM

Mein Auto: BMW F10 535D MSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfv View Post
Suggested apps for BMW & Android developers:

1) BMW assist for android
2) BMW connected drive for android
3) Full internet access on the car's display using Android phone's internet connection (currently not available in US)
4) BMW app for Google's voice operated services
5) Call recorder app
6) An app to remotely access a PC or a hard drive from the car
7) Those with Comfort Access....why carry the fob? The car should unlock and the engine should start when you carry your "android" with you!
8) Android to remember where F10 is parked and ability to provide navigation if required.
9) A distress signal should be sent to the phone by the car in case tampering is attempted...a live view of the car should appear on the phone using side & rear view cameras (after all, they should have "some" use other than parking)
8) A solar panel to power the fan to control cabin temperature when the engine is off.
Wishful thinking and very unlikely IMO. One of the advantages of the iPhone and one reason so many third parties develop for it is that it is a closed system. Apple has complete control over what runs on the device, therefore it's incredibly stable. Appreciate this makes it less flexible etc, but for the average user it is flexible enough. If you could afford an F10, just go buy an iPhone and be done with it! :-)
535d MSport Carbon Black / Black Nappa / Fineline Anthracite | Visability Pack | HUD | ACC | Adaptive Drive | Folding Seats | 4 Zone Climate | Surround View | Pro NAV | USB Audio | Professional Audio | Sun Roof | Comfort Seats | Heated Seats Front / Rear | Professional Rear Seat Entertainment.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:14 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
While I realize the iPhone and money comments are a bit tongue in cheek, I resent the implication that the Andriod is "downmarket" or the "cheaper" option. I have had my choice (twice) of getting an iPhone and both times chose to go with an Android device. Price was not an issue, I was not locked into a contract and could have chosen either one.

It's a different, less mainstream platform, which will appeal to another demographic.

As for stability, never had an issue with my Android devices.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 02-04-2011, 05:21 AM

Mein Auto: Rickshaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerUKF10 View Post
Wishful thinking and very unlikely IMO. One of the advantages of the iPhone and one reason so many third parties develop for it is that it is a closed system. Apple has complete control over what runs on the device, therefore it's incredibly stable. Appreciate this makes it less flexible etc, but for the average user it is flexible enough. If you could afford an F10, just go buy an iPhone and be done with it! :-)
Joe roadster- I think BMW is targeting a higher-end market than the android carrying crowd.

WOW. Quite skimpy thoughts!

For some reason, iphone means "status symbol" to some people. There's nothing to "show off" in an iphone With due respect, we are not comparing Windows PC to a Mac.

- Open & closed systems have nothing to do with system stability. if an app makes your system unstable, just remove it!

- Iphone is well made, but apple can't even fix "home" button which cracks/stops working for "many" users.

- I am not seeking these improvements in a year or two.......may be half decade is acceptable to see something like this happening.

Last edited by bfv; 02-04-2011 at 05:23 AM.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:52 AM
Past Sponsor

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 550i Sport
[QUOTE=JoeRoadster;5823539]I think BMW is targeting a higher-end market than the android carrying crowd.

--
Sent from my iPhone [/QUOTE

Android users are by far more computer literate and technical than iphone users..android with a cooked rom kills iphone anyday of the week and last time i checked iphones were'nt that expensive...lol the bmw VERTU app for those carrying a phone made of solid gold and diamonds.

LOL its an IPHONE everyone can afford it.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:54 AM
Past Sponsor

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 550i Sport
43% of all smartphone sales over the past 6 months are now Android based phones according to The Nielsen Company. That almost 1 out of every 2 people grabbing a Android phone instead of a Blackberry, iPhone, or Nokia smartphone.
Apple's iPhone devices come in at 26% and Blackberry devices come in at 20% leaving 11% to Nokia and Windows Phone 7. This of course could change very soon with Verizon starting to sell the iPhone in a matter of days. That 26% could definitely rise quickly with that availability.
The market place is definitely having a significant shakeup. Recently worldwide sales of Android phones have topped Nokia's sales, the first time in 10 years any mobile OS has beaten out Nokia's Symbian OS. Windows Phone 7 has started to eat into the market share too, and with the iPhone 4 coming to Verizon the market place may be in flux for some time.

Continue reading on Examiner.com: Android sales account for almost half all smartphone sales over last 6 months - National smartphones | Examiner.com http://www.examiner.com/smartphones-...#ixzz1D1AZ1I00
Old 02-04-2011, 01:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335i M-Sport
Joe's got a good point...for me, it was either an iPhone and a brand new KIA or Android and a 335i. Guess I'll look cool in my 3 Series, until I pull out my MT4G.
Old 02-05-2011, 02:18 AM
Lurking around since 2005

Send a message via AIM to BMWenthusiast Send a message via MSN to BMWenthusiast
Mein Auto: E90 2006 BMW 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRoadster View Post

--
Sent from my iPhone
I'll take my Evo 4G anyday and anytime. This thing is an iPhone killer
Old 02-05-2011, 03:44 AM

Mein Auto: 08 750i sport/ SVO LSC
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRoadster View Post

--
Sent from my iPhone
Too much Apple coolaid & this coming from a guy that drives an A4.
I have both, and a stock DroidX blows the iPhone away-
if you root the Droid it's like Steve Dinan tuned it!

2008 750I Sport. Black on black. Night vision, and everything else they could sell me
2008 MB E350 4Matic Sport, Pana Roof, Yada Yada
Cruisers 5000 Sedan/Cat 12Ltr's- 25Tons-1,320hp-4,330 lb ft Torque-30Knots- GPH, Don't Ask!

Last edited by Scantastic; 02-05-2011 at 03:45 AM. Reason: typo
Old 02-05-2011, 05:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 X5 35d + 2011 528i
Back on topic. Awesome suggestions - I hope someone from BMW is reading!

Tim
Old 02-05-2011, 10:47 AM

Mein Auto: BMW F10 535D MSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
While I realize the iPhone and money comments are a bit tongue in cheek, I resent the implication that the Andriod is "downmarket" or the "cheaper" option. I have had my choice (twice) of getting an iPhone and both times chose to go with an Android device. Price was not an issue, I was not locked into a contract and could have chosen either one.

It's a different, less mainstream platform, which will appeal to another demographic.

As for stability, never had an issue with my Android devices.
Needsdecaf - I didn't intend to suggest and certainly don't think the Android is a downmarket option. iPhone or Android is mostly down to personal preferance. If I did'nt have an iPhone, Andriod would be my next choice. Fact is though that most apps are written for the iPhone these days with other platforms in the background. Regarding the whole Apple vs PC debate, I'm a PC man generally, but hate the Windows phone. So used to the iPhone now though I'd be lost without it. Again - personal preference. I really wish it wasn't as good as it is. I hate supporting company's that monopolise.
535d MSport Carbon Black / Black Nappa / Fineline Anthracite | Visability Pack | HUD | ACC | Adaptive Drive | Folding Seats | 4 Zone Climate | Surround View | Pro NAV | USB Audio | Professional Audio | Sun Roof | Comfort Seats | Heated Seats Front / Rear | Professional Rear Seat Entertainment.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:08 AM

Mein Auto: X3 xDrive35i & 350Z TT
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerUKF10 View Post
Needsdecaf - I didn't intend to suggest and certainly don't think the Android is a downmarket option. iPhone or Android is mostly down to personal preferance. If I did'nt have an iPhone, Andriod would be my next choice. Fact is though that most apps are written for the iPhone these days with other platforms in the background. Regarding the whole Apple vs PC debate, I'm a PC man generally, but hate the Windows phone. So used to the iPhone now though I'd be lost without it. Again - personal preference. I really wish it wasn't as good as it is. I hate supporting company's that monopolise.
Android fan here. Wife had an android phone a few days ago. the new iDrives likes iPhones better, so we just traded her Android phone for a iphone. I prefer Android devices for is integration of google products (gmail, contacts, etc) and adjustability. iPhone is cool. Bought the wife an iPad for christmas last year (and she has a ipod nano)...so it only made sense to swap out her phone and keep her on one OS.

To say Android is for a lesser crowd is ignorant. Both companies make a good OS...and the way google is headed, they'll have the phone market and car entertainment market cornered in the next 3-5 years.
Old 11-19-2011, 05:46 PM
Real Car PC

Send a message via AIM to wnrussell Send a message via MSN to wnrussell Send a message via Yahoo to wnrussell Send a message via Skype™ to wnrussell
Mein Auto: 535i w/ Real PC
Any more about this? I was to be an "Autumn" release.
Old 12-01-2011, 04:08 PM

Mein Auto: 335i/535i
Android App

It's on the way hopefully sometime this month. I'm dying to use this BMW Apps integration!! So much that I've considered getting an Iphone and switching over from the Android, but honestly I don't want to do that... And the new Android Razr was released which honestly is 10 fold better than the Iphone 4gs... Plus its on the 4g network which is 10x faster. But you guys can see how much I'd like to take advantage of the new BMW Apps features and I'm sure all the other Android users do too!!

Step up BMW get with the program...
BMW is leaving money on the table without showing love to the Android community...

2012 535i Dark Graphite Metallic II | Black Dakota Leather | M Sport Package | Technology Package | Premium Package
2011 335i
2008 Audi A6 Retired
2007 Audi S4 Retired
2007 M3 Retired
2005 M3 Retired
Old 12-06-2011, 04:22 PM
(formerly SD 335is)

Mein Auto: '06 Z4 MR | '11 335is E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheryl5211 View Post
Really? The "android (sic) carrying crowd" is considered a lower-end market? What BS!
Hers: 2011 335is Coupe (E92) | Le Mans Blue Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Dark Glacier Aluminum | 6MT | ED 5/12/11

BMWCCA #444696 - Click to join and a chance to win a 1-Day M School at the BMW Performance Center!

Old 01-23-2012, 05:39 PM
Real Car PC

Send a message via AIM to wnrussell Send a message via MSN to wnrussell Send a message via Yahoo to wnrussell Send a message via Skype™ to wnrussell
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheryl5211 View Post
Can't be the doomed Blackberry.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 135i
Anyone know if there are any recent updates from BMW regarding BMW Apps and Android?

Retired: 2012 128i, 1998 318is

Future: F32
Old 02-08-2012, 11:42 PM
(formerly SD 335is)

Mein Auto: '06 Z4 MR | '11 335is E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by greengoose View Post
Anyone know if there are any recent updates from BMW regarding BMW Apps and Android?
I subscribe to BMW press releases and I haven't seen anything mentioned.
Hers: 2011 335is Coupe (E92) | Le Mans Blue Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Dark Glacier Aluminum | 6MT | ED 5/12/11

BMWCCA #444696 - Click to join and a chance to win a 1-Day M School at the BMW Performance Center!

Old 08-02-2012, 07:51 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 35i
Thumbs up

it is now available on google play for the android. there was a press release a few days ago in regards to this release.

that being said it appears that USA residents are locked out of the app. however i have managed to side-load it onto my android using the chrome extension APK Downloader. unfortunately as i am not picking up my new car until my August 14th PCD appointment i can't test it in its full glory, but it is running in demo mode (unlinked) on my phone no problem

here is the link:

MY BMW Remote

Last edited by Brainomite; 08-02-2012 at 07:52 AM.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:32 PM
Real Car PC

Link says "This app is incompatible with all of your devices."

Try this for USA download: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1808372
Old 08-06-2012, 08:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainomite View Post
it is now available on google play for the android. there was a press release a few days ago in regards to this release.

that being said it appears that USA residents are locked out of the app. however i have managed to side-load it onto my android using the chrome extension APK Downloader. unfortunately as i am not picking up my new car until my August 14th PCD appointment i can't test it in its full glory, but it is running in demo mode (unlinked) on my phone no problem

here is the link:

MY BMW Remote
OK, it now appears that the app has been released to world, it is no longer blocked in the U S of A
Old 08-06-2012, 12:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainomite View Post
OK, it now appears that the app has been released to world, it is no longer blocked in the U S of A
Google Play is still saying it's not available in our country...

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Bimmer App

2011 335i M-Sport, BMW Performance Powerkit Version 1, BMW Performance Exhaust, 35% F1 Pinnacle Tint