Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)

F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)
The sixth generation of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) was produced from 2011 - 2016 with LCI updates arriving in 2014. In the US BMW offered a hatchback 5 Series Gran Truismo (F07) and the rest of the world also go a Station Wagon/Touring version F11.

Old 10-06-2016, 11:41 AM

Mein Auto: 535iX M-Sport
Deconstruction of BMW Cars

Warning - this is painful to watch. Ever wondered what happens to BMW's test mules after the testing is done? BMW has an advanced facility to recycle them, watch how these BMWs meet the end of their life.

Interesting video . . . Bimmers and Minis on the chopping block . . .

Last edited by Bernie@Bimmerfest; 10-24-2016 at 09:38 PM.
Advertisement
Old 10-06-2016, 03:55 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 523i
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	but why.gif
Views:	46
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	578444  
Old 10-06-2016, 04:48 PM

Mein Auto: F10 520d
That explains why BMW are so expensive, we all have to buy 2 cars, one to drive and the other to recycle
Old 10-06-2016, 04:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5
Why in the world would those cars not be sold for something? Anything. Seems like a complete waste for any brand car. Were these cars defective in a dangerous, non-fixable, way?
Old 10-06-2016, 05:30 PM

If you're in the business to make and sell cars-- premium, luxury cars -- you are NOT going to have them "sold for something" or "give them away". That would devalue the brand -- anger those of us who spent a lot of money . . .

It appears to be a large, well designed facility built to crush a LOT of cars.

I think IanS100 has a very good point. It may be a joke-- but I suspect there's truth in there . . .

Last edited by Rick-F; 10-06-2016 at 05:49 PM.
Old 10-06-2016, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick-F View Post
It appears to be a large, well designed facility built to crush a LOT of cars. . .
It does seem a large well designed facility, but with a handful of people working very slowly and meticulously. At that speed, most of them will be drawing their pension well before they finish the line of cars they've already got, never mind any more that arrive. I also don't understand why BMW would allow such a complete waste of money to be filmed, there's a lot about that film that simply does not add up or make sense!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick-F View Post
That would devalue the brand -- anger those of us who spent a lot of money . . .
I don't think seeing cars given away to good causes would anger people half as much as seeing perfectly good cars scrapped, if that is what is happening, after all that cost had to be built in and it's us who would be paying for it.

Last edited by IanS100; 10-06-2016 at 06:18 PM.
Old 10-06-2016, 09:43 PM

Mein Auto: 435 Grand Coupe MSport
I dont tend to watch a lot of videos on the net... but can you guys that watched it confirm whether these are all "old" cars as the screenshot looks like (with old defined as older than 5 years or so)?
2016 435 Grand Coupe Estoril Blue MSport |Hex. EB Trim-Blk. Dakota | MSoort | Technology | Drivers Asst. | Drivers Assist+|Lighting |Track Pack W/ 442 Wheels |Heated Frnt Seats | Smartphone Integration | HK Stereo (His)

2016 X5 XDrive35d Space Grey |Blk Dakota W/ Fineline Oak | MSport | Lighting Pack | Premium Pack | Drivers Assist | Drivers Assist + | ACC W Stop N Go | 20" Wheels| Smartphone Integration | Multi Contour Seats | HK Stereo (hers)

BMW CCA #477341
Old 10-07-2016, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrandorin View Post
I dont tend to watch a lot of videos on the net... but can you guys that watched it confirm whether these are all "old" cars as the screenshot looks like (with old defined as older than 5 years or so)?
I thought exactly the same when I saw that long line of cars, I'm sure there were models of various ages, but I still don't understand why they'd yank out a mini engine the way they did and throw it in a skip. None of it makes any sense
Old 10-07-2016, 07:24 AM

As one can see from watching this video, it was NOT filmed in real time. Obviously, multiple HD cameras were employed as several activities are shown from more than one angle--and much of the activity was staged/directed specifically for the filming. I also noticed that it very quiet in the shop-- the only sound is from what is being filmed-- again it seems that other work stations are "shut down" for the filming of each of the other stations. This is not some cell phone video of a real time working environment-- it's high cost, scripted/directed, documentary production. I'd guess in actual operation things move a heck of lot faster-- and ALL the filmed activities are occurring simultaneously. I wish it had been narrated to explain WHY it was happening-- not to just show how . . .

The entire film seems to have been made to show BMW's "environmental responsibility"-- how everything is captured for recycling-- not a drop of any fluid hits the floor . . . frankly, I'm a little skeptical.

It's clear from viewing the interiors of these cars, they are old and well used-- NOT !! Even the cars stored and set in the racks are old and faded-- just washed and polished for the film-- NOT!!
Old 10-07-2016, 03:06 PM

Mein Auto: 535i
BMW scraps cars that are used in their mechanics schools. They also eventually scrap a lot of their electric demonstration fleet cars. M School cars, though, are sold and are in high demand.

The EU has some very strict vehicle recycling laws, requiring the manufacturer to recycle their cars that are turned back in for disposal. They are also required to recycle at least 85% of the car, by weight. In the U.S. about 80% of the a car's weight is recycled because it's economically advantageous to do so. A lot of EU countries include structural degradation due to rust in their periodic vehicle safety inspection. Once a car's body starts rusting, off to the crusher it goes.

Only a small percentage of vehicle components are reused, either as used parts or as core turn-ins for remanufacture. The rest of the components go literally onto the scrap heap to have the metals recovered. With more use of aluminum, replacing steel and iron, there is more economic incentive for recycling the cars.

A lot of the EU's old cars are exported to Africa and the less affluent countries of the Middle East, never to be seen again.
Old 10-07-2016, 08:24 PM

Send a message via ICQ to JKSH
Mein Auto: F10 528i LCI M Sport
In my country, we can only drive the car for 10 years regardless of how good the condition is. If you can export it out good, if not either buy another 10 years certificate from government to drive another 10 years or you will need to scrap it. This is where this scrap yard is on crushing all still good looking cars.

528i LCI Msport / Jet Black
Old 10-07-2016, 10:01 PM

Mein Auto: 535i
Japan has some severe inspection laws that make exporting or scrapping a perfectly good car an unfortunate alternative. It's more about keeping down the number of cars on the road in a crowded country than it is about safety.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)
Today's Posts Search