Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 08-17-2014, 05:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 528i
Talking DIY F10 Spark Plug Change?

I've been searching Hi & Lo for a DIY for an F10 Plug Change, and cant find one...

I'm not afraid to turn a wrench, just want to know what I'm getting into..
Stealership wanted just over 700 for some type of service, which the main things were oil & plug change.. WTF?

They refused to reset service request light.. But I understand that one...

Also, How can I reset the service indicator?

Thanks In Advance
Advertisement
Old 08-17-2014, 07:21 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 328d
Geeze...with a finely tuned,complex (and expensive) vehicle like yours why not have a pro do it...either a dealer or an indy specializing in BMWs?

Fuelly
Old 08-18-2014, 12:00 AM

Mein Auto: A Car
Based on your account details, i guess you have an 6-Cyl N52 engine.
Changing the spark plugs is extremely easy. (Even easier than the E60 because BMW relocated the A/C filters inside the cabin which means that you don't need to remove absolutely any plastic trim that might cover the top of the engine as in previous gen cars)

*Remove the engine vanity cover (Is that how its called?)
*Unplug the ignition coils by pulling the coil locking mechanism on the top (It will automatically release the plug), pull the wiring out of the way and then pull the whole ignition coil and it will pop right off. (These coils have a mechanism that allows you to unplug and pull the coils in a very simple way)
*You will need a 5/8" (16mm) thin wall spark plug socket, a socket extension and a ratchet (Socket wrench) to unscrew the spark plugs
*When installing back the spark plugs, tighten it to 23Nm and the rest of the process is just plugging the ignition coils, electrical plugs and installing the engine vanity cover.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateDriving View Post
Based on your account details, i guess you have an 6-Cyl N52 engine.
Changing the spark plugs is extremely easy. (Even easier than the E60 because BMW relocated the A/C filters inside the cabin which means that you don't need to remove absolutely any plastic trim that might cover the top of the engine as in previous gen cars)

*Remove the engine vanity cover (Is that how its called?)
*Unplug the ignition coils by pulling the coil locking mechanism on the top (It will automatically release the plug), pull the wiring out of the way and then pull the whole ignition coil and it will pop right off. (These coils have a mechanism that allows you to unplug and pull the coils in a very simple way)
*You will need a 5/8" (16mm) thin wall spark plug socket, a socket extension and a ratchet (Socket wrench) to unscrew the spark plugs
*When installing back the spark plugs, tighten it to 23Nm and the rest of the process is just plugging the ignition coils, electrical plugs and installing the engine vanity cover.

Thank You very Much Sir....

Quote:
Originally Posted by listerone View Post
Geeze...with a finely tuned,complex (and expensive) vehicle like yours why not have a pro do it...either a dealer or an indy specializing in BMWs?

Why would anyone pay someone for something they can do them selves?
Old 08-20-2014, 11:16 AM

Yeah $700 sounds like a ripoff for plugs + oil change. Though I imagine just buying the oil + filter for these will be at least $75. I still have "free" service until September so I haven't had to do my own oil change. The dealer was nice enough to do the plugs 20,000 miles early, for free, so I won't need those for a while either!

Last edited by clem151; 08-20-2014 at 11:23 AM.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 535 X Drive M Sport
How many miles on the car?
Old 08-20-2014, 12:07 PM

I have a 2011 528i, and the spark plug change interval in the manual is 60,000. The dealer did them at 41,000 or so
Old 08-21-2014, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grover432 View Post
How many miles on the car?
68k miles..
Old 08-22-2014, 10:43 PM

Mein Auto: A Car
There are tons of videos and DIY guides out there. Just search for N52 Spark Plug DIY, aside from the engine vanity cover, some plastic trim on the top of the engine bay, everything else should be the same. (You dont need to remove any trim at all in the F10 since the A/C filters were relocated inside the cabin)
Old 08-24-2014, 05:55 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateDriving View Post
There are tons of videos and DIY guides out there. Just search for N52 Spark Plug DIY, aside from the engine vanity cover, some plastic trim on the top of the engine bay, everything else should be the same. (You dont need to remove any trim at all in the F10 since the A/C filters were relocated inside the cabin)

Got my plugs yesterday...

I will change them sometime next week...

Seems like a straight forward job...

Thanks for the input...
Old 09-07-2014, 06:33 AM

Finally swapped the plugs.
pretty straight forward job, just had to remove 2 10mm bolts from a bracket to access the last plug...