Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)

F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)
The sixth generation of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) was produced from 2011 - 2016 with LCI updates arriving in 2014. In the US BMW offered a hatchback 5 Series Gran Truismo (F07) and the rest of the world also go a Station Wagon/Touring version F11.

Old 04-12-2017, 11:19 AM

Mein Auto: Lexus
BMW 535 M Sports Suspension Question

A friend of mine is looking to buy 2014 BMW 535i with M Sports package and he asked me about the ride quality of the M sport suspension. They have kids so they won't like hard suspensions or if the car would ride rougher than non M suspension. Can anyone shed some light on the difference between the ride quality of M suspension vs non M suspension for 535? Thanks!
Advertisement
Old 04-12-2017, 11:22 AM

Mein Auto: BMW F11 525d
Make a test drive I would say. I have kids and M sport package in combination with RFT tires. Yes it's not like an Renault or other French car but I don't think it is too hard. But this is a matter of opinion.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 04-12-2017, 08:52 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 535i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerlefty View Post
A friend of mine is looking to buy 2014 BMW 535i with M Sports package and he asked me about the ride quality of the M sport suspension. They have kids so they won't like hard suspensions or if the car would ride rougher than non M suspension. Can anyone shed some light on the difference between the ride quality of M suspension vs non M suspension for 535? Thanks!
I've got a 535i base and a 535i M Sport. The M Sport does ride a tad harsher than the base but handles so much better (740 suspension). Who cares what the kids think? It's HIS car, NOT theirs! Kids are extremely adaptable (look at all the Civic's with cut springs and the driver looking like a bobble head! so tell him to get the M Sport (with the 704 suspension) and enjoy the drive.

Mike
2014 535i M Sport, Carbon Black (mine)
2012 535i, Dark Graphite II (hers)
Joshua 24:15; Phil 4:13
Old 04-14-2017, 01:19 AM

Mein Auto: bmw535
Buy the M sport and outfit with Continental DWS, for a fantastic ride everyone will like!!!
Old 04-14-2017, 06:33 AM

Mein Auto: 535iX M-Sport
There is another option: the DHP (Dynamic Handling Package) And on a pre-owned model, this option will not increase the price very much-- and it is for sure worth a reasonable premium. I have this on my 2014 M-Sport and it really is a very good option, if you want performance and comfort.

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1006314

BMW writes:

Adaptive Drive.

On every curve, on every road surface: Adaptive Drive counteracts the forces that cause body roll. Your BMW handles with outstanding sporting agility, while also ensuring a very comfortable journey for you and your passengers. Body roll is practically eliminated, and winding roads can be enjoyed with a maximum of stability and safety.

The proven effectiveness of BMW's innovative chassis control systems, Dynamic Drive and Variable Damper Control (VDC) work closely together to deliver an outstandingly smooth ride and enhanced agility. Sensors in your BMW permanently monitor vehicle speed, steering-wheel position and the pitch and yaw forces acting on the chassis. Using this data, the system precisely adjusts the stabilisers and the dampers, changing their settings quickly and accurately. This coordinated interaction of dampers and stabilisers counteracts the forces that cause the body to roll or sway. Your BMW hugs the road, delivers neutral self-steering behaviour, outstanding agility and shorter braking distances.

Furthermore, Adaptive Drive adjusts the suspension settings to suit the character of the road surface. Each axle has its own independent motor that can adjust the dampers on each individual wheel. When the road surface under one side of the vehicle differs in character from that on the other side - such as when driving on roads with gravel shoulders - Adaptive Drive instantly adjusts the suspension settings of the wheels on one side to practically eliminate any perceptible unevenness in the road. In addition, you can choose between a more comfortable default setting for the suspension, or a more sporting setting.

Such high-speed calculations and responses demand a high-performance electronics system. Adaptive Drive utilises FlexRay, a high-speed data transfer system that networks sensors, control units and stabilisers.
Old 04-14-2017, 10:18 AM
2014 F10 535d

Mein Auto: 2014 535d MSport
Concur, MSport (which has comfort mode) is smooth like glass, but RFTs do make it a stiffer ride on rough roads.
Old 04-14-2017, 11:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i M-sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejrobert View Post
Concur, MSport (which has comfort mode) is smooth like glass, but RFTs do make it a stiffer ride on rough roads.
But "comfort mode" doesn't change suspension settings unless the car has the $3500 Dynamic Handling Package, which is relatively rare. The "Comfort" switch only changes the throttle sensitivity and shift points. Switching from the RFTs to standard tires improves all aspects of the ride - smoothness, quietness, handling.

Aside from that, the M Sport suspension is nicely taut and a welcome step from the floaty base suspension, but wouldn't be considered hard/firm or a hardcore sport suspension like an actual M car. No complaints from my kids as they've been in the car from 7 to 13 years of age.
2013 535i M-Sport: Carbon Black with Oyster/Black Dakota, Sport Auto, Driver Assistance Pkg, Premium Pkg, Multi-Contour Seats, Heated Seats, Navigation, H/K stereo. Michelin Pilot Super Sport non-runflats, M5 grille, Painted reflectors from IND.

Last edited by Carbon Fiver; 04-14-2017 at 11:23 AM.
Old 04-14-2017, 05:14 PM
2014 F10 535d

Mein Auto: 2014 535d MSport
You're right, I added a bit of confusion by talking shift point setting when the question is about suspension; only meant to say the MSport package has all of the settings to produce the desired ride, both suspension and shift points. I also agree it is much nicer that the base suspension.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)
Today's Posts Search