Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 11-01-2015, 11:19 AM
Mein Auto: 2011 550i
Focal B.A.M. XXL vs. Dynamat Extreme application

So during my first stage on this new audio upgrade

which was to install some sound deadening, I made an unfortunate discovery about halfway through my installation (all my fault of course, being in a rush to get started, I should have compared my 2 sound deadening options.

I bought (2) rolls of the Focal B.A.M. XXL which would have been more than enough to do the doors and the trunk. I also had a couple of large boxes of Dynamat Extreme which I was going to use in case I ran out of the B.A.M.. I began in the base of the trunk:

Unfortunately, I started at the part of the trunk closest to the back seats, and didn't pay much attention to the pre-existing sound deadening material already applied. So when I was doing my "test thumps" with the back of a screwdriver, I was getting very good results. As I started moving further to the rear of the vehicle, I noticed that my "thump test" was getting less effective. The vibration was sticking around just a little too much, and the bare parts in the rear were still rattling slightly. I had never experienced this before with Dynamat Extreme, as it is super dense and thick, so I assumed (incorrectly) that the B.A.M. would be pretty similar.

When I started looking at the construction of the B.A.M., I noticed it was WAY different from the Dynamat Extreme. Dynamat Extreme is a thick layer of aluminum sheeting, a very thick later of rubbery material, and then adhesive. The B.A.M. is a layer of something between neoprene and foam, with a thin layer of aluminum sheeting, then a layer of rubbery material with adhesive. The whole unit is slightly thicker than that Dynamat Extreme, but not nearly as effective .. .. ... in the trunk. The interesting thing about the neoprene/foam layer, is that it is amazingly effective as a sound absorbtion layer, even though the rubbery layer isn't nearly as good at stopping resonant frequencies (on metal) as the Dynamat Extreme. To me, this means that the B.A.M. will work excellent as material in the doors and over the head liner, but not nearly as well in the trunk.

Bottom line: My opinion is to use Dynamat Extreme in the trunk, and B.A.M. in the interior of the vehicle.

I hope this saves someone some time in the future.

See More Related BMW Stories

b.a.m., door panel sound, dynamat, dynamat extreme, focal, sound deadening, trunk

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
Today's Posts Search