Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 01-12-2013, 10:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 X5 3.0
Should I buy a 2001 X5?

Hello All,

For many years I have been a fan of the old Mercedes diesels, and I still am, but I was thinking about selling my pokey '79 240D and at picking up a used 2001 BMW X5 3.0 as I would like something to haul my kids around in - and my wife would like a second vehicle she is willing to drive.

I've had such a great experience on the MB forums, I thought I would jump over here and ask your thoughts on the potential purchase. The vehicle I am currently looking at has 182,000 miles on it. It appears in be in fair (not great) condition. I say this because there are a few things in need of repair - one window will not go down (I suspect broken regulator), one rear door handle not working from the exterior, a leaking washer fluid reservoir and a small coolant leak that the current owner says is originating from the thermostat housing. The asking price is currently at $5300 after viewing the vehicle and discussing these problems.

I would appreciate your honest opinions on this potential purchase. I am also interested in learning about known problems to look out for on this model. I have just started to research and have read a long post about the CCV issue. Should I be running in the opposite direction as fast as possible? The current owner did mention that he has the CCV replaced, but I wasn't aware of this problem at the time. The battery and alternator are also new. I'm a DYI sort of guy, so I am not afraid to fix a few things from time to time, but if there are majo issues here, please let me know.

Thanks!
Advertisement
Old 01-13-2013, 07:31 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 X5 3.0L
Figure on doing a complete cooling system overhaul (T'stat, t'stat housing, hoses, waterpump, belts and pulleys.) Transmission, unless recently changed would be something else to consider. Front end. Transfer case. Try a search on xoutpost for common failures there are a lot of items to consider. Some of those items would cost the best part of or more than the asking price so keep that in mind when you make an offer.
We have an '01 3.0L but it is still below 80K.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 X5 3.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu95 View Post
Figure on doing a complete cooling system overhaul (T'stat, t'stat housing, hoses, waterpump, belts and pulleys.) Transmission, unless recently changed would be something else to consider. Front end. Transfer case. Try a search on xoutpost for common failures there are a lot of items to consider. Some of those items would cost the best part of or more than the asking price so keep that in mind when you make an offer.
We have an '01 3.0L but it is still below 80K.
Thanks, Zulu - appreciate your input.

Yes, as I look around, everything suggest replacement of all the cooling system compenents if one of them start to leak. Do you know if the tstat and housing are a PITA to replace? I'll look around for some description.

I drove the vehicle and it seems to shift and drive fine but, yes, I worry about longevity on the tranny, etc. I guess that's the gamble of buying used.

I'll take a look at xoutpost. Thanks again.