Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 Z3 3.0i
Z3 Tires and Wheels

I see that there have only been about four thread regarding Tires and Wheels for Z3's. The last one was was started last Oct and last bumped around early Nov. I have already been chided for bumping a three month old thread, so to avoid that embarrassment I thought I'd start this one.

In the earlier thread BeemerMikeTX and KevinR were responding to a query from ricrx7 (see Z3 Tire Options). But I noticed that while tires were primarily discussed, little was said about wheels. My situation was a little different in that I primarily wanted to change wheels and needed to understand the effects of wheel changes, i.e., tires gotta change as wheels change and how wheel offset works in conjunction with tire size for rim range.

Below is a pic of a spreadsheet that I used to document the changes that I made:

Notice that the wheels specs include offset to tell me if the wheel has a chance of fitting. The tire section collects the data about the new tire and compares it to the stock. Then I look at the Ratios (stock to new). Now I could be way off, but what I thought would be good was to try and keep the ratios (stock to new) as close as possible, thus adding as little change as possible to the vehicle dynamics while obtaining a satisfactory visual and functional change. Am I wrong?

If this is of any use to anyone, I will create an attachment with the actual spreadsheet. Just plug in the new tire and wheel data, the differences and ratios will calc. If I've missed something seriously, let me know. OMG, I'm driving on these things!

(Wheel and tire specs taken from manufacturers data and calculations based on wheel/tire calculators at 1010tires.com)
Ads by Google
Old 01-28-2011, 05:43 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2002 Z3 3.0
I am curious to know whether you now have tire rub on full lock with this setup. I run 255/40-17's on my autocross wheels and have some acceptable rub with a tire diameter similar to yours and optimal spacing/camber.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:26 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 Z3 3.0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3Papa View Post
I am curious to know whether you now have tire rub on full lock with this setup. I run 255/40-17's on my autocross wheels and have some acceptable rub with a tire diameter similar to yours and optimal spacing/camber.
On standing full lock left, there is rear rub on the drivers side front tire. Passenger side tire is clear front and rear. On standing full lock right, there is rear rub on the passenger side front tire. Driver side tire is clear front and rear.
Old 11-17-2013, 12:13 PM
00Z

Mein Auto: 2002 Z3 3.0
Any chance of getting that spreadsheet? We have the same car. Mine is an '02 Z3 3.0.