Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 02-13-2011, 04:16 PM
now driving number eight!

Mein Auto: 2007 S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaymaster View Post
I'm not sure if anyone realized when shutting the car off and the radio remains on, you can push the start button a second time and the radio then will shut off. Discovered it today.
Unless your foot is still on the brake in which case the car will start AGAIN!

"sometimes you're the windshield .... sometimes you're the bug"

2014 328i Mojave Metallic
2009 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 Honda S2000 Berlina Black
(Hey Jim... am I diversified?)
Old 02-13-2011, 04:46 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
I'm not sure if anyone realized when shutting the car off and the radio remains on, you can push the start button a second time and the radio then will shut off. Discovered it today.
Yes, you should press it twice regardless of whether the radio is on. That is how you totally turn off the car. Otherwise it is in "accessory" mode. (Locking it after you get out performs this as well).

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm
Old 02-13-2011, 05:03 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 528i Sport Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by markl53 View Post
Yes, you should press it twice regardless of whether the radio is on. That is how you totally turn off the car. Otherwise it is in "accessory" mode. (Locking it after you get out performs this as well).
Actually I think even if you only press it once, the car will shut down after 10 minutes or so. I noticed this while on the phone using the Bluetooth.
BMWCCA Member #458528 www.bmwcca.org

"If Things Seem Under Control, You're Not Going Fast Enough"
Mario Andretti
Old 02-13-2011, 05:07 PM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Actually I think even if you only press it once, the car will shut down after 10 minutes or so. I noticed this while on the phone using the Bluetooth.
Yes, it will eventually shut off.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 02-13-2011, 05:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 750i x drive
Apparently there is a little known secret about the F10's tires, i.e., the real reason, in all probability, why the tires have issues. It seems that the majority opinion on this Forum is that the problem with the tires relates to the tires being run flats and that the fact that they are low profile is irrelevant. I, on the other hand, believe that the primary reason that there are issues with the tires is because they are low profile. BMW (as do some other car manufacturers) now provide warnings in connection with the use of low profile tires. BMW also offers tire and rim insurance in response to this. BMW does not provide any warnings with regards to the use of run flats. Logic would seem to dictate that BMW would issue such warnings if there were such problems with run flats. I believe that, if a poll were taken, those who have R19 tires probably have more issues than those with the R18 or R17 tires. I also believe that those with R17 tires probably have little or no problems at all. We have a 2006 Three Series with R16 tires. The tires are run flat, but not low profile. In short, they have never had a problem. I believe that, while low profile tires (with the larger rims) look better on our vehicles and may very well provide enhanced performance, the truth of the matter is that low profile tires really do not belong on vehicles used for daily driving. Moreover, in the context of low profile tires, there are certain low profile tires that hold up better than others. For example, my F10 has Goodyear 245/45/R18 tires and they have held up quite well (no problems at all this winter). My 2008 Jaguar, however, came with 245/40/R18 tires and they were a disaster. The Jaguar tires looked like rubber bands wrapped around a cylinder. There was very little sidewall and they were squared off at the top. The BMW tires, on the other hand, have a much larger side wall, the tires are rounded at the top, and the tires are actually very close in size to the R17 tires that I wound up using with my 2008 Jaguar. I am not looking to engage in any arguments with anyone with my post. Rather, I am simply giving my opinion based upon my knowledge and experience in an attempt to help others who are having problems with their tires.

2014 750ix M Sport

Last edited by GHOST PROTOCOL; 02-16-2011 at 05:26 PM.
Old 02-13-2011, 05:44 PM

Mein Auto: 535i Xdrive +'01 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRMESQ View Post
Apparently there is a little known secret about the F10's tires, i.e., the real reason, in all probability, why the tires have issues. It seems that the majority opinion on this Forum is that the problem with the tires relates to the tires being run flats and that the fact that they are low profile is irrelevant. I, on the other hand, believe that the primary reason that there are issues with the tires is because they are low profile. BMW (as do some other car manufacturers) now provide warnings in connection with the use of low profile tires. BMW also offers tire and rim insurance in response to this. BMW does not provide any warnings with regards to the use of run flats. Logic would seem to dictate that BMW would issue such warnings if there were such problems with run flats. I believe that, if a poll were taken, those who have R19 tires probably have more issues than those with the R18 or R17 tires. I also believe that those with R17 tires probably have little or no problems at all. We have a 2006 Three Series with R16 tires. The tires are run flat, but not low profile. In short, they have never had a problem. I believe that, while low profile tires (with the larger rims) look better on our vehicles and may very well provide enhanced performance, the truth of the matter is that low profile tires really do not belong on vehicles used for daily driving. Moreover, in the context of low profile tires, there are certain low profile tires that hold up better than others. For example, my F10 has Goodyear 245/45/R18 tires and they have held up quite well (no problems at all this winter). My 2008 Jaguar, however, came with 245/40/R18 tires and they were a disaster. The Jaguar tires looked like rubber bands wrapped around a cylinder. There was very little sidewall and they were squared off at the top. The BMW tires, on the other hand, have a much larger side wall, the tires are rounded at the top, and the tires are actually very close in size to the R17 tires that I wound up using with my 2008 Jaguar. I am not looking to engage in any arguments with anyone with my post. Rather, I am simply giving my opinion based upon my knowledge and experience in an attempt to help others who are having problems with their tires.
No argument here. You are absolutely correct. The low profile tires just do not cushion the "slam" of pot holes. Jut not enough air in them.
Old 02-13-2011, 06:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 528i Sport Package
Quote:
All nonsense! It's the DOT!
BMWCCA Member #458528 www.bmwcca.org

"If Things Seem Under Control, You're Not Going Fast Enough"
Mario Andretti
Old 02-13-2011, 06:39 PM

Mein Auto: X5 50i, M3
Quote:
the primary reason is MOST certainly because of the low pros. Don't think you will get an argument from anyone about that.

but a secondary reason must be the construction and durability of specific run flat tires. i am a careful driver in the boroughs, and i went through FIVE of these tires in the span of a month. one month. one of the bubbles came from (what i thought) was an innocuous pothole on the Garden State Parkway. and i am coming from dunlop 19inch runflats in my E60, which had contact with the same roads (though admittedly, this winter has been tougher). yes they are low profile, but there is something wrong with their construction, they are just not durable EVEN THOUGH they will obviously underperform similar 17 inch models.

i think the low pro ship has sailed, they are here to stay. but in the kingdom of the blind, the one eyed man is king. i believe that non-rft are one eyed, and the RFT (goodyear eagle ls2 in particular) are blind as bats.

2013 E70 X5 50i, Saphirschwarz, Dark Burl Walnut Trim, Multi-contour Seats, Sports Activity Package, Premium Sound, Running Boards

2012 E92 M3, Jerezschwarz, Dinan Lower Control Arm Monoball Kit, Dinan Racing Rear Toe Link, Dinan Front Carbon Fiber Strut Tower Braces, Dinan Stage 1 Suspension, Dinan 3:62 LSD, Dinan Underdrive Pulley Kit, Dinan High Flow Carbon Intake, BPM stage 1 and DCT tunes, Passport 9500ci, LI Dual
Old 02-13-2011, 06:44 PM

Quote:
All nonsense! It's the DOT!
Perhaps it is time to revisit The Dot thread. It needs to go over 10k.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=507354

2014 750ix M Sport

Last edited by GHOST PROTOCOL; 02-13-2011 at 06:53 PM.
Old 02-13-2011, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highyo View Post
the primary reason is MOST certainly because of the low pros. Don't think you will get an argument from anyone about that.

but a secondary reason must be the construction and durability of specific run flat tires. i am a careful driver in the boroughs, and i went through FIVE of these tires in the span of a month. one month. one of the bubbles came from (what i thought) was an innocuous pothole on the Garden State Parkway. and i am coming from dunlop 19inch runflats in my E60, which had contact with the same roads (though admittedly, this winter has been tougher). yes they are low profile, but there is something wrong with their construction, they are just not durable EVEN THOUGH they will obviously underperform similar 17 inch models.

i think the low pro ship has sailed, they are here to stay. but in the kingdom of the blind, the one eyed man is king. i believe that non-rft are one eyed, and the RFT (goodyear eagle ls2 in particular) are blind as bats.
In January 2009, I went through eight tires on my Jaguar. They were low profile, but not run flat. They were low profile Continental Conti Pro tires. The 18 inch rims and tires are still sitting in my storage facility.

2014 750ix M Sport
Old 02-13-2011, 06:58 PM

Mein Auto: X5 50i, M3
Quote:
In January 2009, I went through eight tires on my Jaguar. They were low profile, but not run flat. They were low profile Continental Conti Pro tires. The 18 inch rims and tires are still sitting in my storage facility.
we are slaves to fashion (and performance i guess). my real test will come with my non rfts on the same roads. i think the construction of the RFT is flawed when it comes to this type of road hazard. the proof will be in the pudding

2013 E70 X5 50i, Saphirschwarz, Dark Burl Walnut Trim, Multi-contour Seats, Sports Activity Package, Premium Sound, Running Boards

2012 E92 M3, Jerezschwarz, Dinan Lower Control Arm Monoball Kit, Dinan Racing Rear Toe Link, Dinan Front Carbon Fiber Strut Tower Braces, Dinan Stage 1 Suspension, Dinan 3:62 LSD, Dinan Underdrive Pulley Kit, Dinan High Flow Carbon Intake, BPM stage 1 and DCT tunes, Passport 9500ci, LI Dual
Old 02-13-2011, 08:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by highyo View Post
cheers on pointing out the mini glovebox on the left. if i never read this post i would have missed it!
Me too! Had my car since June and never noticed it. WOW!
Clear Bra
Convenience Pckg
Premium Pckg 2
Michelin Pilot SS
Sirius Sat
Sport Automatic

Old 02-13-2011, 08:14 PM

Mein Auto: Rickshaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008550I View Post
Me too! Had my car since June and never noticed it. WOW!
This is a disadvantage of using HEADS UP Display
Old 02-13-2011, 08:17 PM

Noticed last night that there are ambient lights beneath all 4 of the doors' interior wood. Right below the windows. That's really kool.
Clear Bra
Convenience Pckg
Premium Pckg 2
Michelin Pilot SS
Sirius Sat
Sport Automatic

Old 02-13-2011, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008550I View Post
Noticed last night that there are ambient lights beneath all 4 of the doors' interior wood. Right below the windows. That's really kool.
And just above the map pockets. I had my car 4 months before I noticed them. Well, with black interior trim they're not as noticeable as the upper door lights.

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm
Old 02-14-2011, 04:59 AM

Mein Auto: 535i Xdrive +'01 Corvette
Quote:
And just above the map pockets. I had my car 4 months before I noticed them. Well, with black interior trim they're not as noticeable as the upper door lights.
There are also a couple of LEDs under the mirror that light up the console. Yes, it is cool.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:57 AM

Quote:
You mean that, upon purchase, you did not immediately check the manual and other literature in the glove compartment that came with the vehicle?

You mean that you left the discovery of this cool feature to random choice over time?

This in an outrage! Simply an outrage!

(Just kidding)

2014 750ix M Sport
Old 02-14-2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:
You mean that, upon purchase, you did not immediately check the manual and other literature in the glove compartment that came with the vehicle?

You mean that you left the discovery of this cool feature to random choice over time?

This in an outrage! Simply an outrage!

(Just kidding)
Touche'. However, in my defense, I'm not sure the specifics of all the ambient lighting parts are described in the manual, LOL.

Old 02-14-2011, 12:08 PM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
I like how the rear plate lights, as well as the courtesy lights in the door handles, are all LED's.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 02-15-2011, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
I like how the rear plate lights, as well as the courtesy lights in the door handles, are all LED's.
Chicks love the door handle lights! LOL
Clear Bra
Convenience Pckg
Premium Pckg 2
Michelin Pilot SS
Sirius Sat
Sport Automatic

Old 02-15-2011, 11:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i XDrive MSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06Black550i View Post
I appreciate the small glove compartment left of the steering wheel. Don't appreciate the missing compartments above the ashtray.
And those two little pronglets are ideally situated so you can clip a chap-stick right in there.

2008 535xi
2011 535xi
2013 535xi MSport
Old 02-15-2011, 11:33 AM

Mein Auto: F10
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesight1 View Post
No argument here. You are absolutely correct. The low profile tires just do not cushion the "slam" of pot holes. Jut not enough air in them.
This is true, but there certain brands of tires that pop more than others. On my MB E550 I had Contiprocontacts....I poped 6 in 21 months. I have the Conti DWS's now and I have hit a few potholes so far no bubbles. I don't want to jinx myself. When I switched from Badyear RFT's to the DWS's my tire guy, who I've known for 18 years, told me they pop more than other tires.

Conti Pro Contact and Goodyear RFT's = No Good.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:43 AM

Mein Auto: 11 550i-Dark Graphite ED
I love the compartment on the left of the dash, I discovered it while in Germany during my ED travels. It is great, I call it my secret compartment, I store dead bodies there, my Fastpass transpoder, my cell phone when i dont want to carrier it with me, and the DOT...the DOT fits perfectly in this compartment. BTW, I keep my sunglasses in the center console compartment, it fits perfectly in the slot to the left, I dont have the cradle so it is perfect. Finally, my German BF puts all of my quarters in the ashtray, they fit nicely and from an another post, there is no way a quarter can get lodged in any mechanical opening or closing device for the ashtray. Now if I could just get my MF re-done...(i must have used the word perfect or perfectly 27 times in my post).
79 528i - Retired
77 320i - Retired
70 Challenger R/T - Retired but not forgotten
67 VW Bus - Long retired
BMWCCA member since 1979

Old 02-16-2011, 04:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i Sept Build
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Yes, it will eventually shut off.
Though the car will turn off by itself after awhile, it causes an undo strain on the battery. So much so that an overheard conversation at my dealer went like this...

Sir, BMW does not warranty the battery given it's non-standard usage. We saw that in the last 10 days the system was left on 24 times.

Plenty of information I don't have, like how long of a charge between uses did the car get, but it's something to be aware of that I didn't know. Also didn't know they could tell that level of detail.

-Zathris
Old 02-16-2011, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Looks like I jinxed myself. I had a tire failure today (2/16/11), which was replaced for free under the BMW tire & rim insurance plan.

2014 750ix M Sport