Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 02-16-2011, 04:30 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 03 BMW X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathris View Post
Though the car will turn off by itself after awhile, it causes an undo strain on the battery. So much so that an overheard conversation at my dealer went like this...

Sir, BMW does not warranty the battery given it's non-standard usage. We saw that in the last 10 days the system was left on 24 times.

Plenty of information I don't have, like how long of a charge between uses did the car get, but it's something to be aware of that I didn't know. Also didn't know they could tell that level of detail.

-Zathris
Amazing what they can tell! Can they tell us what the dot does and if there are more of them lurking?

Last edited by bmwarchitect; 02-16-2011 at 04:33 PM.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 528i
Ok, 1200 miles into it, and I just discovered that pushing in the radio volume button, will actually PAUSE the media that you're playing, and it will stay paused even after you turn the car off, then on. I like it!

2011 528i Space Gray Metallic / Black Dakota Leather / Dark Wood Trim / Prem Pack / Nav / PDC / USB-iPod
Old 02-19-2011, 11:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 528i Sport Package
I discovered a medium Dunkin Donuts coffee fits perfectly in the drink holders as well as a small unsweetened ice tea from Dunkin Donuts. Not too sure about the small sweetened ice tea.
BMWCCA Member #458528 www.bmwcca.org

"If Things Seem Under Control, You're Not Going Fast Enough"
Mario Andretti
Old 02-19-2011, 02:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8nrg View Post
Ok, 1200 miles into it, and I just discovered that pushing in the radio volume button, will actually PAUSE the media that you're playing, and it will stay paused even after you turn the car off, then on. I like it!
That's true when you use an iPhone as well, even if you remove the iPhone! When you plug it back, playback will resume where it left off.
ED on Sep. 28, 2010: 550i Dark Graphite Metallic, Oyster/Black Nappa Leather, Anthracite Wood Trim, Convenience Package, Driver Assistance Package, Premium Package 1 (Std.) & 2, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Dynamic Handling Package, Active Cruise Control, Head-Up Display, Side and Top View Cameras, 4-Zone Automatic Climate Control.

Retired: 2008 528i Space Gray.
Old 02-19-2011, 02:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 528i
If you run your finger lightly (don't press) over the 8 memory buttons, if the screen is in radio mode (not sure about other modes), a thin strip drops down from the top of the screen telling you what is stored in each button. If you lightly touch memory button 8, it shows you all 8 buttons, but if you touch any lower number, it only shows you that button and the ones below.
Old 02-19-2011, 03:01 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92FS View Post
If you run your finger lightly (don't press) over the 8 memory buttons, if the screen is in radio mode (not sure about other modes), a thin strip drops down from the top of the screen telling you what is stored in each button. If you lightly touch memory button 8, it shows you all 8 buttons, but if you touch any lower number, it only shows you that button and the ones below.
Try it again. Touching any button shows all the buttons. The one you are actually touching shows the specific setting, if any, for that button.

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm

Last edited by markl53; 02-19-2011 at 04:21 PM.
Old 02-19-2011, 03:12 PM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by markl53 View Post
Try it again. Touching any button shows all the buttons. The one your are actually touching has the specific setting, if any, for that button.
Right, it works in any mode.

Also, it shows you the button you are touching in "large" mode, and small symbols for the others. AS you scroll your finger over, the button you are touching gets "larger".

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 03-25-2012, 06:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
I like how the rear plate lights, as well as the courtesy lights in the door handles, are all LED's.
I just noticed the interior door handle recesses are also illuminated.

The new F30 I drove this weekend has complete interior LED illumination. I suspect the F10 LCI will get this.

Another thing I discovered during my road trip this weekend that when you hit 'P' on the gear selector in Sport Mode, the transmission will Park (expected), but the gear selector also moves back over to the right automatically.

Up until this point, I was moving it over manually. Made me smile.
Old 03-25-2012, 07:39 PM
2 Bimmers R better than 1

Mein Auto: 12 MSPT 535 & MSPT X5 5.0
Lol

Just realized i need a 550.....oops!
in that order!
oh well
i have my fx45 v8....its got 390hp the 6 gets great gas mileage...LOL
I guess my quote below will now come into play for me!

2012 Msport X5 +Prem Sound+Cold Weather+Top/Side Cameras+Soft Close Doors+BMW Apps
Old 03-25-2012, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5seriesHB View Post
Just realized i need a 550.....oops!
in that order!
oh well
i have my fx45 v8....its got 390hp the 6 gets great gas mileage...LOL
I guess my quote below will now come into play for me!
Enjoy the better gas mileage in your 535. My next car will probably lose the V8.

I drove to Brooklyn and back this weekend in the 550. My outgoing S60 did the trip in 1 tank with plenty leftover for driving around NY. The 550 required 2 fills.

I knew this going in to the purchase coming from the M3 but at times I miss the economy of a 6 cylinder.

If we stay in DC I might even consider a 4-cylinder next. *shudders*
Old 03-25-2012, 07:56 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdimagineer View Post
Enjoy the better gas mileage in your 535. My next car will probably lose the V8.

I drove to Brooklyn and back this weekend in the 550. My outgoing S60 did the trip in 1 tank with plenty leftover for driving around NY. The 550 required 2 fills.

I knew this going in to the purchase coming from the M3 but at times I miss the economy of a 6 cylinder.

If we stay in DC I might even consider a 4-cylinder next. *shudders*
Nobody told you to turn your car into a fire breathing dragon
Thats the price u pay for stage 3
My ml63 Amg averaged 8miles around town...never really drove very selson the freeway with the truck.
Now my wife and i drive to los angles a few times a week. It makes it worth it!

ps as im writing this response my wife just to a pregnancy test"off topic" and it came back positive!
does that mean..........................Im a dad for the second time! So happy i have the 6 now!
Crazy huh. Things i didnt know about my f10....its a frigin baby hauler!
I told ya my quote below....u just got to believe!

2012 Msport X5 +Prem Sound+Cold Weather+Top/Side Cameras+Soft Close Doors+BMW Apps

Last edited by 5seriesHB; 03-25-2012 at 07:57 PM.
Old 03-25-2012, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Nobody told you to turn your car into a fire breathing dragon
Thats the price u pay for stage 3
My ml63 Amg averaged 8miles around town...never really drove very selson the freeway with the truck.
Now my wife and i drive to los angles a few times a week. It makes it worth it!

ps as im writing this response my wife just to a pregnancy test"off topic" and it came back positive!
does that mean..........................Im a dad for the second time! So happy i have the 6 now!
Crazy huh
I told ya my quote below....u just got to believe!
Whoa dude! Congrats! All the best to your growing family. You might need a wagon soon .
Old 03-25-2012, 08:01 PM

4cyl

i new i should of got a 4 cylinder....lol

Old 03-25-2012, 08:02 PM

Quote:
i new i should of got a 4 cylinder....lol
and the rear entertainment

Old 03-26-2012, 06:01 AM

Quote:
and the rear entertainment
2 iPads cost less than the factory option with more entertainment choice. I think BMW even offers iPad mounts that clip into the headrests.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:34 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
I just noticed the interior door handle recesses are also illuminated.

The new F30 I drove this weekend has complete interior LED illumination. I suspect the F10 LCI will get this.

Another thing I discovered during my road trip this weekend that when you hit 'P' on the gear selector in Sport Mode, the transmission will Park (expected), but the gear selector also moves back over to the right automatically.

Up until this point, I was moving it over manually. Made me smile.
I did not like the F30 illumination as much as the F10.

Interestingly enough, there are two "modes" for the F30 illumination. Not sure 100% what the difference was, but one looked like it was just the downlights on the console. What I didn't like about the "full" lighting was that it appeared not to have the lights on the door trim, but did have "up" lights on the area above the b pillar trim by the seatbelt. It was, um, strange.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 03-26-2012, 06:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i.
Quote:
2 iPads cost less than the factory option with more entertainment choice. I think BMW even offers iPad mounts that clip into the headrests.
It might be a few years before the yungins can operate an iPad. By that time HB will be driving the latest and greatest from BMW.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:47 AM
Go Wolfpack!

Mein Auto: 2011 535i xDrive
If you leave the mirror adjustment switch flipped towards the driver's side, the passenger mirror will tilt down when you reverse. If you leave it flipped over to the passenger's side, it'll remain fixed when you reverse.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCSUAlum View Post
If you leave the mirror adjustment switch flipped towards the driver's side, the passenger mirror will tilt down when you reverse. If you leave it flipped over to the passenger's side, it'll remain fixed when you reverse.
U can say that again.....
Smart man!

Old 03-26-2012, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Not to be a wise ass, but I think every car luxury car made since 1990 does that. My 1994 740i (which is still running, and being abused by my 19 yr old son) does that.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:54 AM

Mein Auto: Future AWD 5-series?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc1953 View Post
Not to be a wise ass, but I think every car luxury car made since 1990 does that. My 1994 740i (which is still running, and being abused by my 19 yr old son) does that.
If you want to be pedantic about "that" I'll point out that my '01 A6 has "it" reversed - switch set to "passenger side" for tilt-down, "off" and "drivers side" for no-tilt. So for me it was helpful to know that BMW does "it" "backwards" from how Audi did "it".

Richard
Old 03-26-2012, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlsolomon View Post
If you want to be pedantic about "that" I'll point out that my '01 A6 has "it" reversed - switch set to "passenger side" for tilt-down, "off" and "drivers side" for no-tilt. So for me it was helpful to know that BMW does "it" "backwards" from how Audi did "it".

Richard
Interesting. I have had BMWs, Acuras, and Lincolns over the last 14 years, and in each of them, flipping the side view mirror switch to the passenger side caused the mirror to swivel down in reverse, to facilitate parallel parking (judge how close to curb rear wheels are) or to facilitate backing up with close quarters on the passenger side of vehicle.

But the fact that your Audi did it backwards makes perfect sense. It was after all, an Audi.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc1953 View Post
in each of them, flipping the side view mirror switch to the passenger side caused the mirror to swivel down in reverse
Ok, now I'm confused - I still read the posting to which you replied to say that BMW does it when the switch is set to the *DRIVER'S* side position???? Am I just having a senior moment here????

Quote:
If you leave the mirror adjustment switch flipped towards the driver's side, the passenger mirror will tilt down when you reverse.
Richard
Old 03-26-2012, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlsolomon View Post
Ok, now I'm confused - I still read the posting to which you replied to say that BMW does it when the switch is set to the *DRIVER'S* side position???? Am I just having a senior moment here????

Richard
Yes. BMW lowers when on Driver's side. Audi/VW on Passenger's side. Used to drive me nuts. Along with the stupid knob you had to turn to fold the mirrors. Why couldn't it be as elegant as a button like the BMW?
Old 03-26-2012, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Yes. BMW lowers when on Driver's side. Audi/VW on Passenger's side. Used to drive me nuts. Along with the stupid knob you had to turn to fold the mirrors. Why couldn't it be as elegant as a button like the BMW?
Ok, whew, kc1953 had me thinking I'd lost MORE of my mind

To be honest, I leave mine in tilt-down position 99% of the time, and with memory mirrors I don't touch the adjustments otherwise. My car doesn't have the folding mirrors, so I never got to "enjoy" that maneuver.

Richard