Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:33 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 X5 xDrive35d
Fueling mishap

Sorry to hear about your mishap.

I am always worried that I will someday make this mistake. Soon after I got my vehicle, I stopped to fill up at a (older) Shell gas station. As I carefully looked for the diesel pump, and put the nozel in the tank, for some reason the pump motor would not come on. I finally went in to the cashier and she said that she had noticed me pull up to the pump and switched off the power as she thought that surely a BMW would take premium fuel and I was going to mis-fuel my vehicle. I assured her my car was a diesel and I did indeed need to fuel it up with diesel. She told me that many people make a mistake as that pump was the most used pump by people passing through on that highway. I thanked her being so vigilant.

I have made a point that when in town we use two seperate gas stations for fueling our two different vehicles, one takes premium and one is a diesel. My wife does not like to fuel the car also helps. The 325i we fill at Costco, and they do not sell diesel. The X5 which I drive, I fill it up at a Shell station. That way we will avoid making a mistake with the wrong fuel. One time when I was away from home for a few weeks and she was forced to go to get gas, she went to a full service station to get refueled.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:54 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35D
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdibber View Post
Daughter accidently added 8 gallons of regular fuel to my X5 35d. After realizing what she had done, she immediately stopped pumping and called me. We had the car towed to the local dealership. The car was never started.

Dealer wants $1200 to flush & clean the tank, replace fuel filter, a rubber gasket and the fuel pump....

why would I need to replace the fuel pump if the car was never started?

many thanks....jd
I am according to article from greenreport.com that should never happened. I don't have my car yet, but will definitely test this. Maybe there is defect or device is easy to "fool".

"Some new diesel cars make it virtually impossible to fill up with gasoline. Since BMW launched its clean-diesel 335d and X5 models in the U.S. last year, they have all been fitted with a standard "mis-fueling protection device."

BMW's prevention device is a special mechanism in the filler neck that requires the larger-diameter diesel nozzle to trigger a mechanism that unlocks to open a flap to permit fueling. Hoses for unleaded gasoline have a smaller diameter, and and cannot trip the catch that operates the device.
"

http://www.greencarreports.com/blog/...oline-now-what
Old 01-28-2011, 12:03 PM
Five is Right Out!

Mein Auto: 1987 190DT, 2009 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ View Post

I am always worried that I will someday make this mistake. Soon after I got my vehicle, I stopped to fill up at a (older) Shell gas station. As I carefully looked for the diesel pump, and put the nozel in the tank, for some reason the pump motor would not come on. I finally went in to the cashier and she said that she had noticed me pull up to the pump and switched off the power as she thought that surely a BMW would take premium fuel and I was going to mis-fuel my vehicle. I assured her my car was a diesel and I did indeed need to fuel it up with diesel. She told me that many people make a mistake as that pump was the most used pump by people passing through on that highway. I thanked her being so vigilant.

I have made a point that when in town we use two seperate gas stations for fueling our two different vehicles, one takes premium and one is a diesel. My wife does not like to fuel the car also helps. The 325i we fill at Costco, and they do not sell diesel. The X5 which I drive, I fill it up at a Shell station. That way we will avoid making a mistake with the wrong fuel. One time when I was away from home for a few weeks and she was forced to go to get gas, she went to a full service station to get refueled.
+1
I fill my subaru up a K-mart because they have no ethanol in their gas. I fill up the X at the Petro truck stop because the trucks keep the fuel fresh and it doesn't contain any biodiesel.
Old 01-28-2011, 02:57 PM
back to bimmer

Mein Auto: car
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03BMW330 View Post
I am according to article from greenreport.com that should never happened. I don't have my car yet, but will definitely test this. Maybe there is defect or device is easy to "fool".

"Some new diesel cars make it virtually impossible to fill up with gasoline. Since BMW launched its clean-diesel 335d and X5 models in the U.S. last year, they have all been fitted with a standard "mis-fueling protection device."

BMW's prevention device is a special mechanism in the filler neck that requires the larger-diameter diesel nozzle to trigger a mechanism that unlocks to open a flap to permit fueling. Hoses for unleaded gasoline have a smaller diameter, and and cannot trip the catch that operates the device.
"

http://www.greencarreports.com/blog/...oline-now-what
yup...unless the dealer gives you a "Diesel Misfueling Protection Bypass Adapter " .....

http://www.justcar.org/tag/bmw-diesel-fuel-adapter
Old 01-28-2011, 05:14 PM

Mein Auto: e36, e92, e70, e90
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdibber View Post
The nice guys at the dealership provided this "adapter" for those older diesel pumps that might not fit the car....well it so happens those adapters work well w/ regular gas pumps, too...so "technically" it was the dealership's fault ...this is going to be the most expensive piece of plastic I've ever purchased.
Technically its the person who doesn't read the owners manual / instructions fault. You can't engineer 100% st***d proof.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:01 PM
back to bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yikes98 View Post
Technically its the person who doesn't read the owners manual / instructions fault. You can't engineer 100% st***d proof.
sure.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:08 PM
tappa tappa toit

Mein Auto: hoopty
My cousin did that in his beater diesel jetta .... Drove it home, killed the engine but never fixed it. I was so dad because that beater was actually a nice car

Good luck
Old 01-28-2011, 06:24 PM

Mein Auto: X5 xDrive 35d
Quote:

BMW's prevention device is a special mechanism in the filler neck that requires the larger-diameter diesel nozzle to trigger a mechanism that unlocks to open a flap to permit fueling. Hoses for unleaded gasoline have a smaller diameter, and and cannot trip the catch that operates the device."
If the pump nozzle was undamaged and not misshapen due to age and mistreatment, if the nozzle was not inserted, twisted or otherwise manipulated in such a way as to press both the filler neck detents, and if the filler neck detents did not get stuck or otherwise fail mechanically, then it would be close to impossible to pump gasoline into the diesel BMW. But never impossible.

Like the old saying, as soon as you make something idiot proof, along comes a smarter idiot.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:18 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
1. If it had been the wife, you might have come away from this deal with something for your troubles.....

2. She put gas in the tank. I'm willing to bet that you could have siphoned all the fuel out, topped the empty tank with diesel and been fine. (Maybe give it a shake or two) In fact, it is my nature to suspect that is pretty much what the dealer will do- but will add a bunch of other stuff to it since they just love this type of jo (ie open ended, write up whateevr they can get away with) Mini-rebuild? Please. Ever the pessimist that ard....

3. My cousin filled our diesel VW rabbit with gas many years ago. He did not get far. Blew the heads off the motor. Head rebuilt. Clearly a simpler motor.

4. I've been renting cars BMW diesels in Germany the last few months. Do you know how to tell a rental car in Germany? Big "Diesel" label on the filler cover. Bothers me...
Old 01-29-2011, 08:23 AM
back to bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
In fact, it is my nature to suspect that is pretty much what the dealer will do- but will add a bunch of other stuff to it since they just love this type of jo (ie open ended, write up whateevr they can get away with) Mini-rebuild? Please. Ever the pessimist that ard....

my feelings exactly...placed over a barrel. They know it, and I told them I know it.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by edpm3 View Post
Not all. I have seen diesel pumps incorrectly fitted with smaller nozzles meant to fit unleaded gasoline restrictors. You have to either use the adapter, or trip the misfueling prevention latch manually.
+1 on that

and

From kck7 >> "I pointed out to her the green pump handle, the green inside the fuel door, the two labels there, etc" You might check in with the wifey that not all diesel pump handles are green.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:33 AM

Mein Auto: 07 X3 and 335i
Just drain and fill in this case. Done
07 335 coupe - sold
Old 02-01-2011, 11:35 AM

Mein Auto: '11 35d, 01 325ci
Quote:

Regarding COSTCO, I used to fuel there all the time. (Lewisville, TX, suburb of Dallas...) About 2 years ago or so, my wife's 2001 325ci engine started missing badly and the car sounded horrible and would hardly go.

Went to the dealer and the first thing the SA said was, "do you get gas at COSTCO?" I am not kidding. Unprompted. He said they were getting cars in on a regular basis and COSTCO (at least that one?) had elevated levels of ethanol that were playing havoc with sophisticated engines like BMW.

They drained the tank, gave a fuel sample to Allstate, which indeed showed elevated levels of ethanol and Allstate paid for new fuel pump, injectors and some other stuff to the tune of a few thousand dollars. (Allstate then deals with COSTCO, evidently on the claim...) I have not gone to any "off" brand station since then. Only "majors" like Chevron, etc. Pretty shocking.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X535D/2011 335IS cv
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1buck01 View Post
From kck7 >> "I pointed out to her the green pump handle, the green inside the fuel door, the two labels there, etc" You might check in with the wifey that not all diesel pump handles are green.
OK thanks.

Yes, shocking about Costco. We get all our non-diesel gas there as well. Gives one pause...
Old 02-01-2011, 12:51 PM

Costco Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixr View Post
Regarding COSTCO, I used to fuel there all the time. (Lewisville, TX, suburb of Dallas...) About 2 years ago or so, my wife's 2001 325ci engine started missing badly and the car sounded horrible and would hardly go.

Went to the dealer and the first thing the SA said was, "do you get gas at COSTCO?" I am not kidding. Unprompted. He said they were getting cars in on a regular basis and COSTCO (at least that one?) had elevated levels of ethanol that were playing havoc with sophisticated engines like BMW.

They drained the tank, gave a fuel sample to Allstate, which indeed showed elevated levels of ethanol and Allstate paid for new fuel pump, injectors and some other stuff to the tune of a few thousand dollars. (Allstate then deals with COSTCO, evidently on the claim...) I have not gone to any "off" brand station since then. Only "majors" like Chevron, etc. Pretty shocking.
Thanks for the warning about Costco Gas. I am not sure if it is any different here in Canada. I will surely be making an effort to find out about the level of ethanol in the gas here. I will also check with the dealer's service department to see if there is any problem with the Costco gas here in Canada.

One more thing. Here in Canada all diesel pumps are a bright yellow to diffentiate them from the gasoline pumps. However, people will still make a mistake when not paying full attention.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:37 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 and X5 Diesel
Quote:
I will surely be making an effort to find out about the level of ethanol in the gas here. I will also check with the dealer's service department to see if there is any problem with the Costco gas here in Canada.
It's not that hard to test yourself.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2143193_test...l-content.html
Old 02-01-2011, 02:38 PM

Testing alcohol in Fuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
It's not that hard to test yourself.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2143193_test...l-content.html
Thanks for the link. I will have to check this out.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:09 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1 View Post
Just drain and fill and shake vigorously in this case. Done
Fixed.

A
Old 02-02-2011, 05:57 AM

Mein Auto: getting an X5 diesel
When I was a teenager we had a 1985 300TD wagon. Living in NJ, everything is pumped for you. Stupidly, my sister and I went to a gas station (no diesel there) and they guy pumped regular gas into it and we drove it home.

The Wagon quickly started to make funny noises. We were close to home and realized what had happened. I don't know how much it cost my dad but I know I will NEVER make that mistake ever again.

We have the X5D now and always scope out diesel prices. Our other vehicle is a pick up truck (gas) which I think we have driven a total of .5 miles just to deal with alternate side of the parking so we don't have to worry much about forgetting which vehicle we are driving.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:54 AM
UK (ex-Pat)

Mein Auto: 2010 X5 3.0d M pack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Bliss View Post
You shoulda just filled the rest with diesel then drove it to the dealership and told them the engine sounds weird and you need them to take a look - deny any wrongdoing from that point forward. JK of course

It wouldn't have got there ! It would have broken down 200 yards down the road.
Do you think the Tech at the dealer wouldn't smell the petrol or see how thin it was when he drained it ?

I think you just gotta take this one on the chinn, but a tleast your daughter is educated now!
bet you wish you had filled it up for her,? or at least shown her how, before the poor girl needed to find out the hard way by wrecking Daddy's X5.

2010 X5 30d M Sport pack on 20 inch
In Space Grey, Panoramic roof, auto tailgate,
Privacy Glass, Comfort seats in Black?
Rear view camera
Old 02-05-2011, 01:23 AM

Mein Auto: E92 335i; 08 Toyota RAV4
Quote:

One more thing

"Prevention: better than cure
Some new diesel cars make it virtually impossible to fill up with gasoline. Since BMW launched its clean-diesel 335d and X5 models in the U.S. last year, they have all been fitted with a standard "mis-fueling protection device.".....
All well and good there, but as OP stated, device was easily defeated by the plastic "adapter" the dealer had sold him to help with older pumps.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:50 AM

Mein Auto: '07 X5 3.0si Spt Blk/Tbac
to the OP:
What FINALLY happened? how much were you charged? Did the dealer drive it?

Oh, and sorry this had to happen. I have been considering trading my 07 for a diesel...this is a BIG caution for me.
X PIPE-SHARK INJECT
Old 02-05-2011, 10:51 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aijay's X5 View Post
I have been considering trading my 07 for a diesel...this is a BIG caution for me.

Really? You actually think you might do this and therefore is an item of caution?

I get annoyed with the whole "Americans fear diesel" thing.....
Old 02-05-2011, 11:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 335d base model
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aijay's X5 View Post
to the OP:
I have been considering trading my 07 for a diesel...this is a BIG caution for me.
If you have an ounce of common sense it wouldn't be an issue. Read the entire thread! These vehicles come with a well engineered system to prevent this "accident". In this case a plastic adapter was placed into the filler neck.

Last edited by e90diesel; 02-05-2011 at 11:41 AM.
Old 02-05-2011, 02:12 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 and X5 Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by vase330 View Post
All well and good there, but as OP stated, device was easily defeated by the plastic "adapter" the dealer had sold him to help with older pumps.
Not to cast aspersions on the young lady in question who did this, but if you get into a situation where you must find and use the adapter, it really should be enough to prompt you to double-check the pump to ensure it is a diesel pump before using the "Emergency Fueling" adapter.