Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 12-09-2011, 01:52 PM

Mein Auto: X5
creaking

Recently my 2011 x5 has started making some noises. The left doors/windows will occasionally make a popping/creaking noise when the right front tire hits a bump. Is this an adjustment issue or what? On smooth pavement the vehicle is quiet as can be. That is what makes this creaking noise to annoying.
Advertisement
Old 12-09-2011, 01:56 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d
There's a fix. Take it to the dealer, they will install some teflon tape in the affected areas.

Gone but not forgotten:
2008 E60 535i (Black Sapphire / Natural Brown)
2006 E90 330i (Jet Black / Sand Beige)
2003 E46 325i (Black Sapphire / Natural Brown)
Old 12-09-2011, 03:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW x5 x35i SA
Regarding the above post - make sure that it is a 'creak' or 'rubbing' sound which is a symptom of the dry rubber where the doorframe/frame meet. That is easily resolved via lubrication. I, and a few others, have had a 'cracking' plasticy sound that can be a symptom of cracked and defective welds in the A, B, or C pillar.
Old 12-09-2011, 03:40 PM

If you have a defective weld, you need to lemon. End of story...

Gone but not forgotten:
Old 12-09-2011, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_UKTX View Post
If you have a defective weld, you need to lemon. End of story...
Agreed. They (BMW NA) is fighting me though. Mediation scheduled. If it doesn't work I'll engage an attorney and use MA lemon law.
Old 12-09-2011, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregory34 View Post
Agreed. They (BMW NA) is fighting me though. Mediation scheduled. If it doesn't work I'll engage an attorney and use MA lemon law.
Good luck... A few folks on this forum have had the same issue. Maybe do some searching and use their examples for mediation with BMW.

Gone but not forgotten:
Old 12-09-2011, 04:46 PM

Thanks. I'll get what's fair (buy back replacement) either via mediation or via legal recourse. Just depends how much $ they want to spend on an attorney. Luckily MA lemon law and their mediation agreement with BBB call for a full refund of fees, taxes, etc. If they're smart, they won't let it get very far otherwise it won't be a replacement it'll be a refund and I'll go get a ML or Caynne.
Old 12-10-2011, 07:06 PM

Mein Auto: X5 Diesel xDrive35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by docboss View Post
Recently my 2011 x5 has started making some noises. The left doors/windows will occasionally make a popping/creaking noise when the right front tire hits a bump. Is this an adjustment issue or what? On smooth pavement the vehicle is quiet as can be. That is what makes this creaking noise to annoying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_UKTX View Post
There's a fix. Take it to the dealer, they will install some teflon tape in the affected areas.
Near certain the fix Matt_UKTX is referring to will work. I had the same exact problem about a year and half ago . . . got the teflon tape installed and the door has not creaked since then. The install was done one summer, one winter and one rainy season ago.

Copy of my service report with the relevant codes is attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW e70 Door Noise- Teflon Tape.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	304378  
Old 12-14-2011, 09:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 335xi (ED)
I picked up a 2012 x5 3.5d few weeks ago, and now that I am reading this, I think I have similar issue, but I think the noise is comimg from the driver seat when making right turns / stearing right. Pretty annoying, but I am afraid they will laugh at me if i bring it back to dealer tryring to tell them it only happens when making right turns, and they need to listen really well. They'll probably think I am crazy and just tell me to raise the volume on my radio?

Any advice? I tried to adjust the seat in all sorts of positions, but it didnt help.

Thanks,

Paul
Old 12-14-2011, 10:26 PM

Mein Auto: X5 Diesel xDrive35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubulak View Post
. . . but I am afraid they will laugh at me if i bring it back to dealer tryring to tell them it only happens when making right turns, and they need to listen really well. They'll probably think I am crazy and just tell me to raise the volume on my radio?

Any advice? I tried to adjust the seat in all sorts of positions, but it didnt help.

Thanks, Paul
Initially, I too thought it was the passenger seat and tried to adjust it . . . later I realized it was coming from the window. Roll your windows down about 2 inches and see if this noise disappears . . . mine did.

You paid $60K+ for that X5 . . . dealer can laugh as much as he chooses to but he is *obligated* to fix the problem for you. Key is you should be able to clearly show the problem . . . if nothing else, after he "fixes it", you can tell it is fixed. So if this is an intermittent problem, wait until it steadies out before taking the X5 in.

Remember you are *entitled* to good service . . . your duty is to describe the problem as best as you can. Side note - if a dealer laughs at me, he wouldn't be laughing for too long! Not suggesting you get aggressive . . . but remember they are not doing you a favor . . . you paid for all this.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 335xi (ED)
Yeah - all good points RPsX5d. Thanks for the encouragement.

I need to ride w/ someone in the rear seat to help me isolate the noise, and then bring it in.

Will keep you posted.

-Paul
Old 12-16-2011, 02:41 PM
Lifetime Bimmer Fan

Mein Auto: 2012 535 xi GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregory34 View Post
I, and a few others, have had a 'cracking' plasticy sound that can be a symptom of cracked and defective welds in the A, B, or C pillar.
Please keep us posted. I love my 2011 X5 35D which I picked up in Dec last year. However, since Sept, I have noted a "popping" noise coming from the driver side rear door. In reading other creaking posts, I have yet to see a "plastic cracking sound" which is the perfect way to describe my problem.

My noise seems to happy when driving on a less than perfect road. However, it does not ALWAYS happen on each little bump. But it does happen quite a bit. When it is happening, it can "pop" quite a lot in just a few miles.

I sure hope it is not what you mentioned. I wouldn't think that something so minor sounding could result in a lemon situation. By "minor" I mean that the noise is not very loud. It is definitely irritating.

I will be bringing it in soon.
Old 12-16-2011, 02:48 PM

Mediation is scheduled for the first week of January - I will keep you informed.

Unfortunately, I also would have never suspected that that sound was the symtom of something so serious. I assumed it was plastic on plastic rubbing, but sure enough, the A-pillar weld was cracked. There have been a few cases posted, and the PUMA team has addressed the issue, so certainly it's not an isolated incident. I shudder to think of the amount of defects in soccer moms' cars out there that aren't addressed as diligently as they are in 'enthusiasts' cars...
Old 03-18-2013, 05:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 x5
Please see new thread titled: "Refund or replacement due to bad welds". Thanks.