Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 01-28-2011, 01:24 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 335i x Coupe M sport
Bridgestone vs. Michelin Run flats

I am hoping you guys can give me a bit of advice here. Looking at a 335i x drive coupe with m sport package. Thinking of leasing.

I am comfortable with the price and the car in general. The car has Bridgestone run flats. I really wanted the Michelin run flats. Dealer wont' swap to Michelin for me.

I am honestly going to walk away from the deal. I have heard the Bridgestone is noiser, rougher and wear out faster. This is a concern with a lease. I will be using snow tires in winter so hoping summer tires will last 3 summers.

Any thoughts or feedback on the two different tire types is appreciated. Maybe I am beign overly harsh, but I really hate Bridgestone tires.. especially given what I heard about the run flat bridgestone. Thanks.
Advertisement
Old 01-28-2011, 01:48 PM

Mein Auto: 335i Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by mossman35 View Post
I am hoping you guys can give me a bit of advice here. Looking at a 335i x drive coupe with m sport package. Thinking of leasing.

I am comfortable with the price and the car in general. The car has Bridgestone run flats. I really wanted the Michelin run flats. Dealer wont' swap to Michelin for me.

I am honestly going to walk away from the deal. I have heard the Bridgestone is noiser, rougher and wear out faster. This is a concern with a lease. I will be using snow tires in winter so hoping summer tires will last 3 summers.

Any thoughts or feedback on the two different tire types is appreciated. Maybe I am beign overly harsh, but I really hate Bridgestone tires.. especially given what I heard about the run flat bridgestone. Thanks.

Is this a brand new car? I've had two sets of Bridgestone RFTs and actually really like them. They are excellent performers, did not have any noise issues. I am now on my first set of Michelin RFTs. they seems just as good, however I feel the Bridgestones subjectively handle better in the corners to me, they seem grippier where the Mich's feel a little slippery at times. I know the Mich's have a much longer wear rating so maybe the rubber is harder than the Bridgestone tires??
Old 01-28-2011, 01:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i Sport Line MT
I find it strange that you would walk away based on this without even driving examples of each tire. Don't make your decision based on what you read on the internet. By the way are you sure the xi with sport package comes with summer tires? I'm not sure it does. It doesn't have the sports suspension.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christos View Post
Is this a brand new car? I've had two sets of Bridgestone RFTs and actually really like them. They are excellent performers, did not have any noise issues. I am now on my first set of Michelin RFTs. they seems just as good, however I feel the Bridgestones subjectively handle better in the corners to me, they seem grippier where the Mich's feel a little slippery at times. I know the Mich's have a much longer wear rating so maybe the rubber is harder than the Bridgestone tires??
It is a brand new car. I never heard anyone say the bridgestones were better than mich. Interesting.

I am seriously not taking the car because of this so the feedback is very useful to me.

I know the bridgestone I will have to replace before the lease is up.. might be the same with Mich I suppose. I ran through my summers in 3 years on my last lease and they had a higher treadwear than even the mich tires.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
I find it strange that you would walk away based on this without even driving examples of each tire. Don't make your decision based on what you read on the internet. By the way are you sure the xi with sport package comes with summer tires? I'm not sure it does. It doesn't have the sports suspension.
Well a large population really complained about the bridgestones.

Also, it's a 2011 335i x drive coupe with m sport package.. it does have bridgestones and staggered wheels. Probably just appearance I don't think it has the sport package.
Old 01-28-2011, 02:17 PM

Mein Auto: 335i Coupe
Quote:
It is a brand new car. I never heard anyone say the bridgestones were better than mich. Interesting.

I am seriously not taking the car because of this so the feedback is very useful to me.

I know the bridgestone I will have to replace before the lease is up.. might be the same with Mich I suppose. I ran through my summers in 3 years on my last lease and they had a higher treadwear than even the mich tires.
BTW I'm referring to Bridgestone Summer RFTs, I notice you are looking at an xi model. I don't think the xi has summer tires?
Old 01-28-2011, 02:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i xDrive coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christos View Post
BTW I'm referring to Bridgestone Summer RFTs, I notice you are looking at an xi model. I don't think the xi has summer tires?
Yes, you can get the xi with summer tires. In fact, it's the only way to get an xi with the oil cooler.

George

Prior 33 years of cars: 1967 BelAir wagon / 1968 LeMans Tempest / 1970 Mustang Mach 1 / 1972 El Dorado / 1978 Corvette (kept until first Bronco) / 1981 Subaru GL wagon AWD / 1983 s10 Blazer 4x4 (big mistake) / 1985 Bronco 4x4 / 1996 Bronco 4x4 / 2004 Passat 4motion
Old 01-28-2011, 02:34 PM

Mein Auto: '08 335xi (E90)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooks527 View Post
Yes, you can get the xi with summer tires. In fact, it's the only way to get an xi with the oil cooler.

George
+1, I've no problems with the staggered, summer RFT Bridgestones after nearly 3 years & 25,000 miles on my xi. & yes, they came this way with the ZSP & upgraded 18" wheels.

Tires wear out & then you can replace them with any that you choose. I will replace mine with the Bridgestones this year sometime.

Anyway, I wouldn't let the brand of tires stand in the way of your deal.

gl
At port: March 19, 2008
Shipped on Graceful Leader: March 21, 2008
Arrived Port Hueneme: April 11, 2008
At dealer's: April 19, 2008
Delivered: April 21, 2008
Old 01-28-2011, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarySL View Post
+1, I've no problems with the staggered, summer RFT Bridgestones after nearly 3 years & 25,000 miles on my xi. & yes, they came this way with the ZSP & upgraded 18" wheels.

Tires wear out & then you can replace them with any that you choose. I will replace mine with the Bridgestones this year sometime.

Anyway, I wouldn't let the brand of tires stand in the way of your deal.

gl
Really? How is the noise level? Do you drive on rough roads? Maybe I have done too much reading!!!!
Old 01-28-2011, 02:53 PM

Mein Auto: '08 335xi (E90)
Quote:
Really? How is the noise level? Do you drive on rough roads? Maybe I have done too much reading!!!!
Driven plenty of rough roads although the worse are Hwy 101 through Ukiah & Santa Rosa, I don't frequent. Our rural roads are rough but have low posted speed limits. Our higher posted freeways are reasonably smooth and don't generate much road noise.

Somewhere on bf, I posted interior road noise comparisons of 3 different vehicles. I will try & look up those decibel readings.

Anyway, I drive with Rolling Stones & Talking Heads on way too loud to hear my tires.

gl
At port: March 19, 2008
Shipped on Graceful Leader: March 21, 2008
Arrived Port Hueneme: April 11, 2008
At dealer's: April 19, 2008
Delivered: April 21, 2008
Old 01-28-2011, 03:02 PM

Mein Auto: 335d, vermillion/gray
Quote:

I know the bridgestone I will have to replace before the lease is up.. might be the same with Mich I suppose.
If I am not missing something...

If this is true, then why not buy the car, swap the original tires for the ones you want, drive them for 3 years and then put the Bridgestones back on when you turn it in?
Old 01-28-2011, 03:04 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
Summer tires don't really last more than 20k no matter what the brand. It's really the rubber compound- it grips really well and the car handles like its on rails, but the penalty is faster wear.

Note that BMW cannot control what brand tire your vehicle comes equipped with, and I believe that vast majority of the sport package vehicles come with the Bridgestones RE090 (unless someone here can speak otherwise).
Old 01-28-2011, 03:39 PM

Mein Auto: '11 335d
Back when they were new (2006-08) ALL the runflats sucked, maybe the Michelins sucked a little less. Now, I think they are all OK. The first generation was just too harsh and prone to tramlining.

You need to take a test drive with each - I doubt you'll be able to tell the difference.
Old 01-28-2011, 05:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335Is
I HAD an 07 with the Bridgestones now i'm driving an 2010 with Michelin's and let me tell you the ride is like Night and day, with My Michelin's i am so much happier they ride smoother,Quieter and just seem to handle better so what you heard is correct.Dealerships will all tell you that it is pot luck with what you get but if you threaten to walk away they might swap em out you never know...
Old 01-28-2011, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chop362 View Post
I HAD an 07 with the Bridgestones now i'm driving an 2010 with Michelin's and let me tell you the ride is like Night and day, with My Michelin's i am so much happier they ride smoother,Quieter and just seem to handle better so what you heard is correct.Dealerships will all tell you that it is pot luck with what you get but if you threaten to walk away they might swap em out you never know...
They won't swap. The lease price I have is for a car priced slightly below invoice. I think they won't budge anymore.

You went from an 07 to 2010 could that be the difference in road feel or no?

The bridgestones in question are RE050 not 090 mentioned in an earlier post.I haven't actually driven the car since it is in the showroom due to snow on the ground. If I lease it, they will mount the snow tire and wheels I order from tirerack before I pick it up. I won't know how it rides until spring.

I did drive a sedan with 17" run flats (unsure of type) and it felt very smooth on rough roads.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:06 PM

Quote:
They won't swap. The lease price I have is for a car priced slightly below invoice. I think they won't budge anymore.

You went from an 07 to 2010 could that be the difference in road feel or no?

The bridgestones in question are RE050 not 090 mentioned in an earlier post.I haven't actually driven the car since it is in the showroom due to snow on the ground. If I lease it, they will mount the snow tire and wheels I order from tirerack before I pick it up. I won't know how it rides until spring.

I did drive a sedan with 17" run flats (unsure of type) and it felt very smooth on rough roads.
The tires were Potenzas and my Michelins are pilot sports plus I have driven enough of these cars to recognize the difference between how the car handles and just the change of rubber and trust me it's the tires..I mean the Potenza's are not the worst tire you could have but they are a far cry from Michelin.Tell me are they mounting the snows gratis?
Old 01-28-2011, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chop362 View Post
The tires were Potenzas and my Michelins are pilot sports plus I have driven enough of these cars to recognize the difference between how the car handles and just the change of rubber and trust me it's the tires..I mean the Potenza's are not the worst tire you could have but they are a far cry from Michelin.Tell me are they mounting the snows gratis?
They are mounting the snows free... however, I am buying wheels and tires from tire rack and shipping them to the dealership. So all they are doing is swapping wheels, not swapping tires on wheels. I could swap wheels myself in less than an hour... still, nice the car will be ready for winter as soon as I pick it up.

So would the difference in tires stop you from leasing the car??? That is the $1,000,000 question. I really ready to go option #2, a 2nd Infiniti G...
Old 01-28-2011, 06:26 PM
Leftover Hippie

Mein Auto: 2010 328xiT
If you are leasing aren't you going to need to turn the car back in with good tires on it? If so, yank the Bridgestones off stash them to remount as your turn in tires and go buy what you want to drive on during the lease.

I hated the Bridgestone RFTs that came on my old Z4 3.0si Coupe and yanked them off within a month of buying the car. I was able to sell them in the forum classified's in less than a day to someone who needed a set they could mount on their leased vehicle before turning it in.

2005 X3 2.5i - Mystic Blue
2010 328ix Sports Wagon - Space Gray
Old 01-28-2011, 06:58 PM

Quote:
They are mounting the snows free... however, I am buying wheels and tires from tire rack and shipping them to the dealership. So all they are doing is swapping wheels, not swapping tires on wheels. I could swap wheels myself in less than an hour... still, nice the car will be ready for winter as soon as I pick it up.

So would the difference in tires stop you from leasing the car??? That is the $1,000,000 question. I really ready to go option #2, a 2nd Infiniti G...
And the answer is....NO!!! I STILL would buy the bimmer no question.And if my alternative was to buy an Infiniti G not only would I choose the bimmer but I would close the deal even if they told me the car had no rims or rubber!Good luck you'll love the car
Old 01-28-2011, 08:49 PM
Better with Butter

Mein Auto: 335i sedan 6MT
I leased my '07 (new of course) and it came with the Bridgestone RE050A summer runflats. I swapped out with a winter runflat set every winter (including this one). Right when 3 years were up, I bought the car out, but the bridgestones had plenty of tread on them; I could have turned the car in as-is.
EDIT: For the record, I will probably buy new summers this, um, summer, even though I have a good amount of tread left. Reason: I don't think I could make it to Thanksgiving before the tires needed replacement.

Last edited by galahad05; 01-28-2011 at 08:50 PM.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galahad05 View Post
I leased my '07 (new of course) and it came with the Bridgestone RE050A summer runflats. I swapped out with a winter runflat set every winter (including this one). Right when 3 years were up, I bought the car out, but the bridgestones had plenty of tread on them; I could have turned the car in as-is.
EDIT: For the record, I will probably buy new summers this, um, summer, even though I have a good amount of tread left. Reason: I don't think I could make it to Thanksgiving before the tires needed replacement.
Thanks. This is really good to know. I am ending my lease on a Infiniti G and I have completely worn my summer tires in 3 years. They are all seasons and have a much shorter treadwear than the Bridgestones.. I am thinking our driving style is greatly different. Not sure.

I guess I should just forget about it.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:41 PM
Better with Butter

Mein Auto: 335i sedan 6MT
It could very well be the driving styles.
My 335 is essentially a daily driver with an emphasis on commuter duty. Not too much hot dogging: now don't get me wrong, I take off pretty fast and corner fast, well, pretty much always, but I don't usually light the tires up or anything.
It has about 41k miles on it right now. About 14k of that has been on winter tires. So...27k miles on the summers, and I figure they're good for about another 6k to 8k miles.

Last edited by galahad05; 01-28-2011 at 09:50 PM. Reason: Fixed a previous copy-paste error.
Old 01-29-2011, 05:08 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 328xi
My car had one of the early lots of the Bridgestone tires and there was a recall on them. They started to roar at 20k miles, so I got Continentals, and the recall covered 50%. I think that was one source of Bridgestone complaints that was addressed.
Old 01-29-2011, 06:08 AM

Mein Auto: 06 330i ZSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mecodoug View Post
Back when they were new (2006-08) ALL the runflats sucked, maybe the Michelins sucked a little less. Now, I think they are all OK. The first generation was just too harsh and prone to tramlining.

You need to take a test drive with each - I doubt you'll be able to tell the difference.
+1 for this. I went from PS2s on my E46 to the newer generation Bridgestone 18" summer on my E90. I was surprised at how good they are. I expected to hate them based on how people complain about the first generation so much. Normally I am a Michelin snob but I may even consider Bridgestone when it comes time to replace.
Old 01-29-2011, 08:08 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 BMW 435 xDrive
Had the Bridgestone for 4 years. Read bad reviews of the tire and decided to switch to Michelin. On dry pavement I like them better but otherwise I prefer the Bridgestone.

Estoril Blue
Black Leather
Hexagon trim
Estoril Blue matte finisher

6 Speed Manual

M Sport
Cold Weather
Driver Assistance Package
Driver Assistance Plus
Dynamic Handling Package
Lighting Package
19" Light Alloy Wheels (style 442M grey)
Premium Package
Technology Package
M Sport Brakes
Leather Dashboard
Enhanced Bluetooth
Concierge Services
Parking Assistant
Power Rear Sunshade
Harmon Kardon
M Performance Black Grilles
MPPK
MPE