Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 06-05-2014, 07:32 AM

Mein Auto: dodge charger
Unique Coolant Issue

Hi,

I have a 06 x3 3.0L. Im the past 6 months i have replaced my water pump, thermostat, coolant expansion tank, coolant level sensor and flushed the coolant system several times. long story short my trans oil heat exchanger got plugged with old overheated coolant creating quite a issue, so i ended up replacing several parts.

Today, i am still having a issue of low coolant level indication. When i open the expansion tank the float is all the way up, indicating a full level. in the past 2 months when i low level light cam on i added about 3 more cups into the tank and the light went away, after the coolant slowely came out of the cap over weeks, probably because it was too full it is still at a high level, but the light is back.

Im not sure whats up here. the expansion tank has two chambers and it can fit alot more coolant in it after the float indicates it full. i assume this is simply for expansion at higher temps.

i guess i could replace the level sensor again, but could this be something else. posibly the electric water pump?

im really clueless. And there are no leaks at this point since the coolant level is at normal high level and not overfilled.

thanks.
Ads by Google
Old 06-05-2014, 08:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3
Might there still be some air in the system? I am not a cooling system guru, but I can tell you that with an 06, you have the M54 engine, and have the non-electric water pump.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:33 AM

Mein Auto: dodge charger
Quote:
Originally Posted by smaglik View Post
Might there still be some air in the system? I am not a cooling system guru, but I can tell you that with an 06, you have the M54 engine, and have the non-electric water pump.
I cant imagine. i purged it well once i added new coolant. the temp gauge is stable and never goes beyond 1/2 mark.

So this engine does not have a electric water recirc pump? I was under the impression it did, but then again when i looked online on parts stores it wasn't clear. my understanding is that this car along with others ave a 2nd water pump to control line pressure. hopefully i only have the mechanical one and not two.
Old 06-11-2014, 02:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3
I believe you have one single mechanical pump. If you don't find what you want on here, head on over to E46fanatics. Many M54 owners over there.