Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 01-28-2011, 11:14 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 550i M-Sport
Dinan Stage 1 upgrade - quick review

I had the Dinan upgrade performed on my 550i on Wednesday. So far I only have about 60 miles of commuting on the car since the upgrade, so I have not been able to test extensively. My initial impression is highly positive. It is actually pretty innocuous most of the time. Under typical city driving, it behaves nearly identically to how it behaved before the tune - if my wife drove the car she would never notice. BUT, sink your right foot towards the floor and YES it goes NOW. No lag, no hesitation, just a bigger dose of torque. It makes an already fast sedan even faster and more satisfying. The biggest improvement seems to be in the 3000 to 4500 RPM range, which makes it quite useful under typical driving conditions. You really need to be in Sport+ to take full advantage of the tune. The electronic nanny is acutely aware of the newfound power and is eager to intervene.

One of the interesting side benefits that I have not been able to fully analyze yet is an apparent increase in gas mileage when driving at a steady state. The instantaneous mpg display under the tach is definitely showing substantially increased mileage under conservative driving conditions (which is admittedly a challenging exercise in self control). Whether the mileage is ACTUALLY better or whether the tune just has some adverse effect on the accuracy of the instantaneous mpg display remains to be seen. After I have gone through a couple of tanks of gas, I will report back.

For those on the fence about deciding, I think it is worth taking the plunge during their 20% off special that runs through the end of January.
Advertisement
Old 01-29-2011, 06:32 AM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
I WANT IT I WANT IT I WANT IT !!!

Alas, my F10 won't be Stateside until May. Hopefully, Dinan is working on an S2 package. Have you noticed a difference in the exhaust note with the stock exhaust?

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 01-29-2011, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunderhi View Post
I WANT IT I WANT IT I WANT IT !!!

Alas, my F10 won't be Stateside until May. Hopefully, Dinan is working on an S2 package. Have you noticed a difference in the exhaust note with the stock exhaust?
In typical driving situations the exhaust sounds exactly the same as stock. However, under full throttle it is a bit more pronounced, and I suspect that is because the engine is pushing harder, so the exhaust note is simply matching the extra output.

Although i really appreciate the overall quiet nature of the new 550, there are times that I wish the exhaust sounded just a bit more throaty - the sound of my 2008 550 m-sport was perfect.

I would guess that Dinan will eventually have a stage 2 upgrade, and it might include an exhaust mod.
Old 01-29-2011, 09:20 AM

Mein Auto: MB
Vortexx,

How much does it cost?
How long does it take to do it?
Where did you get it done? I am in San Diego but I go up to Orange County every weekend. Can it be done in San Diego?

Will the warranty be effected? Does it decrease the life expectancy of the car?

Sorry for the numerous questions. I am new at this.

Last edited by CarBrain; 01-29-2011 at 09:23 AM.
Old 01-29-2011, 09:48 AM
Compulsive Money Spender

Send a message via AIM to fkim011
Mein Auto: BMW 550i
If you go to the Dinan website it shows the local retailers around you. Here in the OC, the only authorized retailers/BMW Dealer are Crevier and Shelly BMW.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:24 AM

Mein Auto: X5 50i, M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarBrain View Post
Vortexx,

How much does it cost?
Where did you get it done? I am in San Diego but I go up to Orange County every weekend. Can it be done in San Diego?

i can't answer your regional questions, but having got it last week, some of the others are easy.

i believe you have until monday to get 20% off the 2999 price. my total cost was about 2600 dollars (including tax etc). it took less than an hour to rewrite the code, was out of the shop in probably 1 hour tops (including paying and getting a wonderful explanation of the tune).

the warranty is voided as it relates to the drivetrain and my guy told me they let BMW know right away through their tuning process. they pick up the warranty for anything related to the tune. i am not sure how effective this will be, since nothing has happened (knocking on wood)

as for life expectancy, i've only had the tune for 100 miles but my technician was very confident that the tolerances in the engine are high and the engines are essentially sold "detuned". time will tell, certainly when/if the time comes for me to sell the car, a dinan stage 1 upgrade may or may not make the car more attractive.

but at this point i am having way too much fun to care about that. this car has been transformed. there's not much in the automobile universe that can keep up, and it has all of that wonderful luxury and refinement. two thumbs way up

2013 E70 X5 50i, Saphirschwarz, Dark Burl Walnut Trim, Multi-contour Seats, Sports Activity Package, Premium Sound, Running Boards

2012 E92 M3, Jerezschwarz, Dinan Lower Control Arm Monoball Kit, Dinan Racing Rear Toe Link, Dinan Front Carbon Fiber Strut Tower Braces, Dinan Stage 1 Suspension, Dinan 3:62 LSD, Dinan Underdrive Pulley Kit, Dinan High Flow Carbon Intake, BPM stage 1 and DCT tunes, Passport 9500ci, LI Dual
Old 01-29-2011, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarBrain View Post
Vortexx,

How much does it cost?

1. Retail price is $3k + tax. 20% off until Jan 31. Add about an hour or so for labor.
2. The Dinan website claims it takes 30 minutes. That is highly optimistic. Certainly possible if they have an experienced tech that has done quite a few upgrades, the facility has plenty of internet bandwidth, there are no firewall or other I.T. issues, and there arent a bunch of other dealers accessing Dinan's servers. The tech connects a computer on the dealer side to your car, and it connects via the internet to a computer on Dinan's facility, there have been some cases of connectivity problems, so it could take your dealer longer.
3. I had it done at Crevier. If you go there, speak with the service advisor Mark H - dont know his full last name, but he was helpful and accomodating.
4. I think BMW Encinitas and BMW of San Diego are also both dealers.
5. Dinan matches the BMW warranty for any items effected that BMW chooses not to cover. That is one of the reasons I chose the Dinan tune rather than some less expensive options.
6. Dinan claims it is well within the operating limits of the car, but the harder you drive any car, the less long it will likely last. I personally am not concerned about it.

Hope that helps. Go for it!
Old 02-01-2011, 07:23 PM

Mein Auto: mercedes
Just wanted to check on your experience on mpg...are u still experiencing better mileage?
Old 02-01-2011, 09:57 PM

Mein Auto: F10 550i
Hey Vortexx,
Is it tough putting power down with the extra power and RWD?
Old 02-01-2011, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp913 View Post
Just wanted to check on your experience on mpg...are u still experiencing better mileage?
Yes, it appears that way, but I dont have enough miles yet to make a for sure conclusion. One of the problems is it is way too much fun accelerating and that is not conducive to good mileage. However, on those occasions where I use restraint, it appears that I at least 1 MPG better on my commute to work, compared to the same drive before the tune.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCJ View Post
Hey Vortexx,
Is it tough putting power down with the extra power and RWD?
For the most part, it isnt a problem in Sport + mode. From a standstill the power delivery isnt much different from stock. However, from 20mph to 80 mph it is very impressive. The tires will occasionally chirp in the 1st to 2nd gear shift.
Old 02-02-2011, 04:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i xDrive
Anyone know if the discount is being extended through February?
Old 02-02-2011, 05:15 PM

Mein Auto: '13 M5, 08 E93 M3, F430
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBlack78 View Post
not extended..
Old 02-03-2011, 05:01 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBlack78 View Post
I got an email from Dinan today. The 20% off sale is extended to March 3rd.

Old 02-09-2011, 07:02 AM
Past Sponsor

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 550i Sport
You guys with the dinan installed...did you notice any increase in pleasant turbo or engine/exhaust noise/ does the car sound a little more agressive?
Old 02-09-2011, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony@empireleasing View Post
You guys with the dinan installed...did you notice any increase in pleasant turbo or engine/exhaust noise/ does the car sound a little more agressive?
very very slightly at the top of the range, when ur really pushing it. the power is instant on the highways, shockingly fast, so the wind may effect the sound more!

2013 E70 X5 50i, Saphirschwarz, Dark Burl Walnut Trim, Multi-contour Seats, Sports Activity Package, Premium Sound, Running Boards

2012 E92 M3, Jerezschwarz, Dinan Lower Control Arm Monoball Kit, Dinan Racing Rear Toe Link, Dinan Front Carbon Fiber Strut Tower Braces, Dinan Stage 1 Suspension, Dinan 3:62 LSD, Dinan Underdrive Pulley Kit, Dinan High Flow Carbon Intake, BPM stage 1 and DCT tunes, Passport 9500ci, LI Dual
Old 02-25-2011, 06:19 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

After I signed my papers for my car today, I went over to the parts manager to see if I could pay for my Dinan software now with the discount, but get it installed in May when my car arrives Stateside. His answer surprised me; they don't do Dinan mods anymore. I pulled out my current issue of Roundel and showed him where they advertise they do Dinan mods. He said that's an old ad copy. The reason he gave for dropping Dinan was that they were have too many warranty issues where Dinan said BMW should pay, while at the same time BMW was saying Dinan should pay. I guess I'm going to found out next week if I can live with only 400hp.

Old 02-25-2011, 06:23 PM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
After I signed my papers for my car today, I went over to the parts manager to see if I could pay for my Dinan software now with the discount, but get it installed in May when my car arrives Stateside. His answer surprised me; they don't do Dinan mods anymore. I pulled out my current issue of Roundel and showed him where they advertise they do Dinan mods. He said that's an old ad copy. The reason he gave for dropping Dinan was that they were have too many warranty issues where Dinan said BMW should pay, while at the same time BMW was saying Dinan should pay. I guess I'm going to found out next week if I can live with only 400hp.
Where in MD are you? If you are in DC metro, both Fairfax and Sterlings are listed as dealers. Fairfax service is damn top notch.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 02-25-2011, 07:00 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

I'm NW of Baltimore. I bought my car from Passport, but Tischer is another Dinan option which is a bit closer to home.

I'm concerned about the he said-she said warranty coverage. If I pay Dinan an extra $1600 or so for a warranty with their $600 worth of software upgrade, I would expect that they would readily pay if there were any problems. If Dinan won't pay, then what's the point of their additional cost? I'm a bit disillusioned right now the prospect of paying through the nose and still risk not having any warranty coverage.

Old 02-25-2011, 07:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550xi
"only" 400 hp.., it's plenty of power..You will love it.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:15 PM

Quote:
I'm NW of Baltimore. I bought my car from Passport, but Tischer is another Dinan option which is a bit closer to home.

I'm concerned about the he said-she said warranty coverage. If I pay Dinan an extra $1600 or so for a warranty with their $600 worth of software upgrade, I would expect that they would readily pay if there were any problems. If Dinan won't pay, then what's the point of their additional cost? I'm a bit disillusioned right now the prospect of paying through the nose and still risk not having any warranty coverage.
dunder,

i have a great guy up here that would be more than happy to talk you through the process (Dave at MotorWorksEast, super knowledgable, has been doing Dinan's for a long time now) maybe he can shed some light on the warranty situation. i haven't had any problems yet (1000 miles) but when/if the time comes, i will be ready.

also there is no additional charge after they update software your car and wipe dinan code. (just drive it back to the joint and 45 min later ur tune is back).

and 400 is nice... but 500 + 575 torque? that's better

Last edited by highyo; 02-25-2011 at 08:18 PM.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 650cic/ 2012 M3 ZCP
Quote:
Originally Posted by highyo View Post
dunder,

i have a great guy up here that would be more than happy to talk you through the process (Dave at MotorWorksEast, super knowledgable, has been doing Dinan's for a long time now) maybe he can shed some light on the warranty situation. i haven't had any problems yet (1000 miles) but when/if the time comes, i will be ready.

also there is no additional charge after they update software your car and wipe dinan code. (just drive it back to the joint and 45 min later ur tune is back).

+1 with Highyo

I havent had any problems with the reflash since install. I have heard stories about how some of the authorized (BMW) dealers try and get around things. If you really take a step back some of the dealers look at you cross-eyed if you bring them a legitimate issue and your car is completely stock.

Without "over inflating/putting to much on the outcome" post Dinan flash - you will be pleased. Hell if you were in SoFla I would let you take my car for a spin so you can see the difference. I'm kind of embarrassed to say the car actually even idles better since the tune.

At the end of the day its your wallet and your decision -400 stock HP isn't exactly slumming it you know
2012 X3 35i Titanium Silver/Black ZAP/ZPP/TECH/APPS/Breyton GTS/Continental Extreme DW (20's)
Old 02-25-2011, 08:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 650cic/ 2012 M3 ZCP
Quote:
Originally Posted by highyo View Post
dunder,

Highyo how would you describe the difference? Its like mid throttle gives you that deep bellow, and then when you are in the upper ranges that catipult effect, dude I know you what I'm talking about its actually laughable
2012 X3 35i Titanium Silver/Black ZAP/ZPP/TECH/APPS/Breyton GTS/Continental Extreme DW (20's)
Old 02-26-2011, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by car-fan View Post
Highyo how would you describe the difference? Its like mid throttle gives you that deep bellow, and then when you are in the upper ranges that catipult effect, dude I know you what I'm talking about its actually laughable
yes i do lol, when the car downshifts its instant and it literally feels like you're being shot out of a gun. in the past when the car downshifted, you could feel it building and then accelerating. with dinan, as soon as you downshift you rocket ahead RIGHT NOW, there is literally no hesitation. it almost feels like the car accelerates faster than your brain can process it.

i haven't been able to time it but 40-80 is shockingly fast. that's where you feel it the most. it's hard to describe but it turns this car into a freaking roller coaster.

i should work for dinan.

Old 02-26-2011, 07:09 AM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Thanks for the feedback. I'll have my car doing 155mph on Autobahn in a little more than a week, so I should get a good feel for its stock performance. As far Dinan is concerned, I might wait until I have 6-12 months on the motor before I take a risk thatt Dinan's/BMW's warranty coverage won't be there when I need it. I do have a question; does Dinan match BMW's 4/50 coverage period or is it 4/50 from when you get the install?