Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

Old 01-29-2011, 04:55 AM

Mein Auto: BMW Z4
Thumbs down Boot/trunk - trapped fingers

had a 2009 Z4 - the one with the convertible hard top. One morning when the car was frozen up I tried to open the boot and the soft close mechanism cut in instead and bought the lid down across my fingers. They were trapped in the boot for a few minutes until I could release them. BMW say this is a 'one off' but it seemed to me as though it could happen to others in icy conditions. Has anyone else experienced this?
Advertisement
Old 01-29-2011, 08:58 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 35i
Ouch! Hope you didn't get hurt too bad. Thanks for the heads up - would've never thought that the soft close would activate until the boot was closed again. I guess the computer got confusedwith the ice - premature reaction.

HerrK - Keine Eifelfahrt ohne eine Runde über den Nürburgring

May 2010 ED l 2011 35i l Crimson over Ext'd Coral Red w/brushed Alum l 6sp MT l Prem Sound l Sport Pack l 296's l Comfort Access l Alarm l Power Heated Seats l & Nav.
FrauK - 2014 Q5 TDI - May 2014 ED | Cuvée Silver over Pistachio beige | Premim Plus | MMI | Nav | B&O
Old 01-30-2011, 03:48 AM

Mein Auto: BMW Z4
The problem was that I had pressed the remote control to release the boot, but because it was frozen shut it did not lift at all. I was concerned that as the car warmed up the boot lid may open, so I put my fingers under the boot edge to see if I could open it. Just the action of touching it set off the soft close mechanism with no time to pull my fingers out of the way. They were very compressed - x-rays showed bone compression but no breaks. Just concerned that in that scenario it could happen to others!
Old 02-01-2011, 05:33 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 Roadster 35i
Ouch indeed.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:54 AM

Mein Auto: Z4 sDrive 23i space grey
I did it when I first had my Zed, closed the boot (trunk!!) and didn't think it had shut so went to lift it back up for a re-close and it clamped down on my digits!!!
JESUS CHRIST it hurt......you only do it the once though!!
Old 02-02-2011, 10:20 AM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
Secretly, the Zed is angry at you for leaving it out in the cold and ice.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:54 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 Roadster 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
Secretly, the Zed is angry at you for leaving it out in the cold and ice.
Old 02-19-2011, 02:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW Z4
Holy crap! I finally got around to reading this thread, and am shocked to see that this is a problem that more than one person experienced.

I have a 2011 Z4, so presumably the same trunk locking mechanism. I have never seen this occur, but I think this is because I always try to open the trunk using the BMW emblem rather than sticking my fingers in the gap. I do that selfishly ... mainly to open up the trunk without a single fingerprint touching the body, but I guess I got a safer side effect out of the process. I love the way the BMW emblem hinges open to allow you to open up the trunk safely and cleanly.

Thanks for the warning.

/LesC
Old 02-24-2011, 05:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 Acura TL
Holy. . . . In addition to being painful, that must be scary as hell. There has to be a moment in there when you think you're going to lose your fingers.