Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 01-29-2011, 05:51 PM

Mein Auto: 328i
1996 328i automatic popping out of gear

I have a 96 328i E36 auto with 100k dealer maintaned miles on it and it pops out of drive. It's not slipping or anything it just suddenly started doing it and has gotten progressively worse. It's as if your driving and somone puts you in neutral and then back in drive. Only code in the ecu is for an o2 senser, unless pcm codes are posted elsewhere?

gonna do a trans service, check the solenioid, and check the gear position switch. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Advertisement
Old 01-29-2011, 06:41 PM
some kid

Mein Auto: whiny 318
When does this normally occur? When the transmission upshifts/downshifts, stopping, starting?

My transmission will slip out just like you are saying when i slow down to a crawl (like at a stop sign) and start up again. I replaced the transmission fluid and filter and gaskets a few weeks ago. I haven't been able to drive it yet because of this ridiculous amount of snow up here, but I can feel it shift between the gears a little smoother.

You might have the same problem. I would try doing what I did. A mechanic should charge no less than 200 for the service. If you're handy with a wrench, you can do it yourself. I was able to get the parts (filter, gaskets, 1 gal of ATF, fluid pump) for about 50-60 bucks.

Old 01-30-2011, 04:58 AM

same snow

snow here in NJ has pretty much prevented me looking at it much more too. Was able
to jack it level and check/add about a 1/2 quart of atf. Still does it and the cars nearly undriveable now. Managed to get it to a local mechanic who said new trans but it really seems as if it's a signal telling the transmission control module engage/disengage, as if you're moving the shifter from neutral to drive. I have a friend with a lift so I'm going to put it up, drop and clean both trans pans, run fluid thru twice, then replace the filter. Was thinking about changing the fluid pickup while I'm in there if possible. The check control light stays on for a while at start and as I mentioned the check engine light is on for an oxygen sensor. I built a scan tool out of an old panasonic toughbook and a pc usb link cable that shows me engine sensor info but nothing for the trans. Does anyone know if transmission codes are posted to the ecu as well or if they have to be pulled from the transmission control module. Let me know. Thanks
Old 01-30-2011, 07:18 AM

update

just shovelled it out and took it for a test drive, the condition occurs whenever I hit
the brakes and the car rocks back and forth. It happens consistently with the shifter
in reverse or any forward gears, as well as with or without manual activated. Does
anyone know the location of the fluid level sensor? (I'd like to do an uphill/downhill
test depending on whether it's in the front or rear of the pan). Also this is probably irrelevant but worth mentioning it needs a drivers side rear wheel bearing (very loud)
Old 01-30-2011, 08:05 AM
tappa tappa toit

Mein Auto: hoopty
I think it's your trans on it's way out
Old 01-30-2011, 08:52 AM
some kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycomps View Post
snow here in NJ has pretty much prevented me looking at it much more too. Was able
to jack it level and check/add about a 1/2 quart of atf. Still does it and the cars nearly undriveable now. Managed to get it to a local mechanic who said new trans but it really seems as if it's a signal telling the transmission control module engage/disengage, as if you're moving the shifter from neutral to drive. I have a friend with a lift so I'm going to put it up, drop and clean both trans pans, run fluid thru twice, then replace the filter. Was thinking about changing the fluid pickup while I'm in there if possible. The check control light stays on for a while at start and as I mentioned the check engine light is on for an oxygen sensor. I built a scan tool out of an old panasonic toughbook and a pc usb link cable that shows me engine sensor info but nothing for the trans. Does anyone know if transmission codes are posted to the ecu as well or if they have to be pulled from the transmission control module. Let me know. Thanks
Definitely try this first. The fact that it only happens when the car is rocking, makes me think that it could just be low on fluid. Make sure you are using the same type of fluid, different types can destroy the transmission. You should be using Dexron III for this car.

Look here for more information.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/tech...Fluid_Auto.htm

Old 01-30-2011, 09:54 AM

already topped it off

already topped it off with dextron III so it should be full, gonna put it up on the lift and drop the pans, maybe I'll get lucky and the filters clogged. keep you posted.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:05 AM
some kid

Remember that the transmission has to be warm when you top it off.

Old 01-30-2011, 11:10 AM

yup

I followed the pelican post when I did it, good write up. It'd be a real shame if the trans
is gone as the car is actually my sons and he got it from his grandparents who were original owners. He won't be able to afford to replace the tranny. It's a florida car too so it's in excellent condition, black with tan leather interior and fully loaded. I have the service manual and the fact that all it has in the automatic transmission section is how to check fluid, replace the filter, AND REPLACE THE WHOLE TRANS doesn't make me feel too good. Changing the rear wheel bearing entails removing the transaxle as well so things are piling up.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:27 PM

update

didn't get it up on the lift today but checked the gear shift position switch and visually/ mechanically it looked ok (found a diamond stud earring that had fallen down thru the
fins, too bad it's not worth enough to pay for a new trans!). Had dinner with a friend who
had a bmw shop and he said to replace the fauly o2 sensor that's posting the ecm code, said he'd seen his share of seemingly unrelated faults fixing each other. Does anyone have any info on where the trans fluid level sensor is located that's mentioned in the pellican article where the guy did the trans service because it was popping out of gear.
I cant seem to find it listed in the senser schematics and was hoping to hang a meter on it while I jacked the car and see what it reads. Let me know. Thanks
Old 02-16-2011, 05:55 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1999 328ic
Its the fluid level.. you absolutely must check it after driving it and it warms up and you have to pull the check plug on side of tranny and fill until it starts pouring out and then you know you have enough.. Mine was doing this after replacing the fluids/gaskets/filter and had to be topped back off. o2 sensors are completely unrelated to the tranny.

1999 328ic M-TECH
"only 2 cars in my life have every survived my prolonged lead foot.. a Nissan Maxima and my BMW.."
BEHOLD THE POWER OF 3!!