Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 01-29-2011, 05:45 PM

Mein Auto: X3
BMW X3 Cold are Intake system !

I am having a stock 2006 Bmw x3 3.0, Now I want to replace the stock intake systam >> Cold Air Intake system. I did some research on the website that there are some like K& N and AFE cold are intake system. Any body have ideas on which one is good for the car and what websirt is trust to buy from? I Know that there is a AFE Cold air intake system. Do you guys suggest me with that? My limit is around $200- 300. Please help ! I really Appreciate !
Ads by Google
Old 01-30-2011, 07:13 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 X3
You have to be careful with the Cold Air System because it may not be legal in the state you register your car in. CA for example has restrictive emission rules and not all cold air systems are legal here. The K&N drop in filter is legal, and I have them in my other cars and trucks but not my BMW because it was under "free" maintentance. To be honest I haven't really noticed any performance gains with the K&N but I like the sound and the no replacement (just cleaning) factor. To answer your question I believe Dinan also offers a CAS for the '06 X3 but I don't believe it is legal in CA.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:18 AM
Tightrope walking

Mein Auto: Jackwagon!
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
To be honest I haven't really noticed any performance gains with the K&N but I like the sound and the no replacement (just cleaning) factor.
That's pretty much exactly what you get with an intake on a very modern motor. Buy the one you like the sound of most, because that 2hp gain you get from one won't be discernible from the 1hp gain you get from another...

Building a ZHP wagon... click the pic!!!
-.-.-.--.-.-.-
Because BMW wouldn't do it for me
For Sale - HUGE part out of 2005 ZHP sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisL View Post
My input is that ffej knows what he's talking about .
Old 01-30-2011, 10:49 PM

Mein Auto: X3
I just bought the AFE Cold air intake for my BMW X3 at the www.bavauto.com . Is this one good, they said it increases power by 20 hp and torque by 27 ftlbs . ???
Old 01-31-2011, 08:49 AM

Probably just as good as any. Let us know if you really feel any performance improvement please. Good luck!
Old 01-31-2011, 07:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3
Why do all the air intake options that i could find stop at 2006?
Old 02-01-2011, 11:15 AM

Seems like most of the after market stuff stopped then. I suspect that it will become available as the '07's on owners move out of the "free" maintentance program and actually start buying parts and not worrying about warranty stuff. Remember the engine/transmission changed in '07 too.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:50 AM

Mein Auto: E39 ///M5
I am bumping an old thread because I was asked this question before. There is really no need to install a CAI on the X3, the stock airbox is just as good. Those Aftermarket CAI with the oiled filters can harm your MAF, and the performance gains are minimal ("20+hp increase" is a joke).

If you need to subdue your craving to "mod" I would suggest throwing in a "dry" filter - such as AFE proDry. Still going to run you about $60 for the filter, but its better than dropping over $200 on an oiled CAI and potentially harming your MAF.

Just my $0.02
National Capital Chapter #465420
2000 ///M5 Oxford Green | Caramel Nappa | Brushed Aluminum Trim | DINAN | Eisenmann | SuperSprint | TuningTech | ///M Registry | My Progress Thread |
2006 X3 3.0i M-Sport | Silver Grey | Terracotta | AT | Navigation | Premium Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg | AFE |
2000 323Ci | TiAg | Gray | 5MT | SOLD
Old 01-14-2013, 07:23 AM

I don't use the K&N drop in filter elements any more because they really didn't seem to help increase performance. I had used them in various pick ups and SUV's for years mainly for the sound and the fact they would last longer than the paper filters. In all that time I never did have any problem with the MAF/MAS due to over oiling. It is my belief that any problem in that area is due to the owner over oiling his filter element when cleaning it and re-oiling. Right from the factory I do not believe there will be a problem if anyone chooses to use that sort of filter. Just my opinion.