Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 08-18-2014, 10:31 PM

Mein Auto: Ford explorer
Buying advice for 525i

I'm looking at a bmw 1991 five speed. It has 190000 miles on it and I was just wondering if it was a good buy or not here's the link to see for your self.

1991 BMW 525i 5 spd. M50 - $1400
http://nashville.craigslist.org/cto/4613813221.html

via cPro Craigslist App
Android: http://bit.ly/CL_android
iOS: http://bit.ly/CL_iOS

It seems decent enough but I don't know much about these vehicles and was hoping to see you guys' point of giew. Another b thing is the slave cylind r just went out and I'm afraid that may mean the clutch is going out in which case I'll probably pass. I don't have the funds to support that. I'm also curious how long these cars last?_a__a2_

Last edited by Fidens; 08-19-2014 at 12:54 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 08-19-2014, 12:46 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '95 540i, '87 325ic
Looks pretty beaten up. I'd hold out for something better. $1400 is about double what I'd pay for it.

You might get more responses if you got your description straight. Your subject line says 520i, which few people will look at because there was no 520i offered in the US. You also call it a 1990, but ad says it's a '91.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:52 PM

Sorry 1990 was a typo as was the 520 my bad like I said I am a noob. Just trying to get info. For its year though it doesn't seem as beaten up as it could be not cosmetically at leastjust the bang in fender and hood. Thank you for your response.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:17 PM
Nothin like an E34

Mein Auto: 95 540i B/B
Honestly, in my opinion, pass.
Two main reasons, the body damage, that affects the price greatly, that is not cheap to repair, and you should be able to find something in better shape for the same price.
The second, the stereo. The E34 is wired a specific way with a factory amp already in place, and 11 speakers, 10 of them used by the radio. The seller says there are 4 aftermarket and a sub box, with amp and pioneer HU. For 500$ you can keep that in, i would be worried the stereo system is hacked up, and a pain to get it back together if you pay 1400$ and he/she removes all the aftermarket items.

Without more pics, it is hard to say, but i would offer 800$ at most for that car as is.

Gotta love an E34!!
If you want to get junkyard parts remember one thing, if it was wrecked you know it was running/driving. You may not know how well, but it was.

READ THE STICKIES AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE!!

STOMP TEST

READ ME IM THE BIBLE

FAN CLUTCH

LOCKS

ANGEL EYES
Old 08-19-2014, 03:15 PM

Hmm he lowered it to 1200 because of the slave maybe I could get him to lower it more but then again I'd still be spending a lot to get it in better condition I'm going to go check it out tomorrow thoufh. So I'll See If I Even Really Like It. Right now it's mostly just a fantasizing thing lol. But gotta be realistic as well. Thanks for your reply. I take body parts are expensive for these cars.
Old 08-19-2014, 03:47 PM

The cost of body parts depends on the proximity of E34s in local junkyards. car-part.com can tell you what is available in your area. As for the clutch, it's a 525i, not exactly a disk-blistering powerplant. But who knows -- it's a 23-year-old car

The limits of Craigslist advertising may be making Zombie and me extra cautious. We haven't seen the interior or any trouble spots up close, and the seller posted a pretty lame number of pics. He/she doesn't offer a lot in the way of service history, and judging from the few photos, there isn't a lot to offer. Manual trans makes it a little more desirable on this board, but less so in the larger universe. You've gotta drive it to really see if it's worthy.

Be patient, and you may find an E34 in pretty good shape selling for $2500. Personally, I'd go for a later model, '93 or later. But if you think this car will serve as a decent beater for the next year or so, offer the seller $700 cash and see what happens.
Old 08-19-2014, 03:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 135i 6MT
Even If it were 100% mechanically sound as is, you're still stuck driving a car with a thrashed interior and exterior, or spending thousands to restore it. Not worth the effort. If you want to take on a restore project, start with something in better condition and expect to spend $ on it. I hate to say it but driving a thrashed bmw and needing to feed it parts just to keep it on the road is probably worse than driving a corolla.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 08-19-2014, 03:54 PM
Nothin like an E34

Mein Auto: 95 540i B/B
Here is one in my area for comparison.
http://raleigh.craigslist.org/cto/4600110346.html

Gotta love an E34!!
If you want to get junkyard parts remember one thing, if it was wrecked you know it was running/driving. You may not know how well, but it was.

READ THE STICKIES AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE!!

STOMP TEST

READ ME IM THE BIBLE

FAN CLUTCH

LOCKS

ANGEL EYES
Old 08-19-2014, 06:58 PM

Damn that things nice hate the color but everything else is gorgeous and for the same price too. Very detailed as well. Im going to go check it out and Thursday and see if it's any good it might honestly be a piece of junk. I'm hoping it's not obviously but I am on limited funds if I gotta throw money and work into it her and there that's fine as long it's not too much too fast or needed just to get it from point a to point b. Sadly the guy I was going to go check it out with won't be able to come with me to see it and he's a lot more tech savvy than I am. I'm sure to a lot of you guys it sounds dumb but I've been fairly good with dumb luck lol. Well see it might not work in this situation. I'll take some pics and of the interior and posy them most likely just to see what you guys think. You're probably right though maybe I should wait fir a better deal. I am a little too impatient sometimes when it comes to things I decided I really want. Honestly the fender and hood don't even bother me I could drive it like that just fine if the rest is sound I'm more worried about how it runs cosmetics cone afterwards in my eyes at least. Not trying to win beauty contests just yet. =). I'll try to talk him down too I'll use your reference post as some leverage but most likely hell just tell me to **** off and buy that one instead lol. I don't know well see I'll keep you guys updated if you're interested in helping a noob out. Either thank you guys. You guys really are awesome and very helpful.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:37 PM

Look in the coolant reservoir and pull the dipstick and examine the oil. If you see anything that looks like a chocolate milkshake (oil and coolant mixing), it's an instant reject. Also, watch the temp gauge while driving. It shouldn't go much past the halfway point. Cooling system issues are some of the the most serious and common problems a BMW engine can have.
Old 08-19-2014, 08:21 PM

Man you guys are awesome. Thanks a lot I'll definitely do that. He said he replaced the radiator any chance that could have fixed the problem or would that be entirely different problem. For the cooling system issue.
Old 08-19-2014, 08:34 PM

Radiators need replacing periodically on these cars, but a replacement could also be a sign the seller was trying to fix an overheating problem. And overheating is very bad for BMW engines. It could result in a blown head gasket or even a cracked head. That would produce the milkshake effect I mentioned.

You might ask the seller if he's replaced the water pump as well. A car with 190k miles should be on about its third pump, IMO.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:52 PM

Cool I'll be sure to ask him about that. Thanks a ton man all you guys this may not seem like much to you guys but it means a lot to just get help like this from strangers to me. So much darkness in the world but that's a different convo for a different forum lol. Anyway just thanks. I'll keep you posted gonna check it out on Thurs day instead he works all day on Wednesday. Lame. Luckily I'm off as well.