Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Car Navigation, Audio & Electronics sponsored by BimmerTech

Car Navigation, Audio & Electronics sponsored by BimmerTech
BMW navigation, audio upgrades, XM Radio, Sirius, Bluetooth, and Radar Detector discussions here!

Sponsored by BimmerTech

Old 01-31-2004, 11:29 AM

Mein Auto: volvo 850
need help with 03 330i

Hi, I am new to this forum so thanks in advance for your help!

A customer brought in a new 330i and want us to hook up an amp and sub. we were going along fine until we got to the remote wire for the amp...here are my questions:

1. I tested all the wire going into the harmon cardon amp, and it seems that the power wire there recievs CONSTANT power, even with the key off and the doors locked, so it doesnt seem to be well suited for a remote turn on wire. but if we hooked it up to say an ACC fuse, then the amp wouldnt turn on with out the key in the ignition, since the audio system seems to always be able to turn on, even without the key in the ignition, this would mean that if someone is listening to it with the key out, the sub wouldnt play.. so...having said this, can you guys tell me where we should hook the remote turn on wire to? andwhere it is located?

2. where is the fuse box for this car? the owner doesnt even know and i cant seem to find one right away...

Thanks in advance!

B
Ads by Google
Old 01-31-2004, 12:40 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '08 535 6mt
1) White wire to HK amp if it is left installed. White wire in the CD changer wiring if it is installed. Otherwise the back of the headunit.

2) In the glove box ... drops down from underneath the dash.

Last edited by ObD; 01-31-2004 at 12:52 PM.
Old 01-31-2004, 06:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 325CiC
Ran into same problem, I think in my case it was because the amp has to be on all the time because of the Nav Voice, But at any rate with just adding a sub amp it is no big deal to hook the remote lead to the white wire which responds like an ignition.
Old 01-31-2004, 07:58 PM

thanks guys! gonna finsih up the car tommorow, so the white wiring that goes into the harmon kardon amp is the one i hsould splice into?

great!

thanks!

b
Old 01-31-2004, 08:18 PM

wait, if I hook it up to this white wire, will it make the amp stay on all the time? case thats no good, the idel current will drain the batter after a few days...

b
Old 01-31-2004, 09:34 PM

Mein Auto: '08 535 6mt
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=19122

Old 01-31-2004, 10:32 PM

thanks bud! you guys rock!

b
Old 02-01-2004, 08:05 AM

hey, i pulled out the driver side trunk liner and there is no amp or cd changer but I did find a big harness label AMP on it with several white wires coming out of it, even if the amp is not installed, can I still use this white wire?

b
Old 02-01-2004, 08:13 AM

wait, neverm ind It hink I found the amp, it is the thin box installed in the backets right? way over next tothe side wall of the car? and a plug in the front of it with a lot of wires going through it?

so the wite wire eh?

cool

b