Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 02-01-2011, 12:34 PM

Mein Auto: X3 (soon)
28 or 35 ???

Background: I am a Canadian purchasing through the military sales program while abroad, so I have not test driven either the 28 or 35 and have never owned a BMW (currently drive an older Subaru Legacy GT).

I have orderd the following:
28i
black metalic paint
sun roof
black leather
sienna wood trim (just don't think I will enjoy the silver) ($585 option on 28i)

I have been following this forum, and that of the 3 series, since ordering and am now reconsidering my order and considering dropping the leather and changing to the 35.

(This "reconsidering" is obviously based on the premise that you can still ammend the model in the order - but again from these forums it seems I should be able to as I don't even have a build date yet).

New vehicle would be:

35i
black metalic paint
sun roof
sienna wood trim (standard on 35i)

My reasoning is as follows:
Price difference - there is a $4000 price difference between 28 and 35. If I drop the leather and get the wood free the 35i would only cost $1500 more than I have already committed to spend.
I have never owned a car with a leather interior, I ordered it because I figured it would be essential for resale and really just expected a BMW would be leather trimmed. Following the forums has me better educated and truthfully I don't think I need leather.
Resale - I will likely keep this car for about 5 years. Surely in 5 years the 35i will be worth more than $1500 more than an otherwise equal 28i.
Bi-zenon headlights - I drive a lot on dark country roads and this seems to be a highly recommended option on these forums. These lights are standard on the 35i.
Power - the reviews I have read all describe the 35i driving experience as incredible and I have seen very little on the driving experience of the 28i.
Fuel economy - Very little difference but I do a fair amount of highway driving so the edge is again with the 35i.

The only real reasons I have not pulled the trigger on the change yet is concern over the HPFP in the 35i as I will spend most of my time 200-300 kms from a BMW dealership. I haven't been able to find any confirmation as to whether this problem has been solved on the 2011 X3 35i?? And of course the fact that there would be an increase in the price of $1500.

I haven't driven many "sporty" cars - just test drives in the Subaru WRX and new Legacy GT so in all honesty I don't know how big the difference in driving pleasure will be between the 2 models for me personally - but I do expect I would enjoy the 35i somewhat more.

Sorry for the long first post. I would truly appreciate any input from those with more experience in vehicles of this calibre.

Thanks.
Advertisement
Old 02-01-2011, 12:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 535XI
28i

I had same issues. I settled on 28i since it has enough power and no HPFP(had a 535xi-great car but had issues). Also in my opinion 300hp not necessary on an X3-SUV. The point of an SUV is to get you through bad weather. Too much horse power and you may loose some traction or drive it too aggressively. I don't see SUV's at Indy or Daytona. Get the options you want on the 28i. If your set on alot of horespower get a car.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 VW Passat 1.8T
I too debated this quite a bit and chose the 35. You would have to think that after all the HPFP issues, BMW would have solved or resolved this.

In the USA, the 35 gives you a bit more content like Xenon, sports steering wheel, etc... but personally, I plan on keeping the car for 4-8 years and wanted the bigger engine so to not want in a few years time.

I test drove them both and loved both test drives. But boy did that 35 keep me up at night.

Go back and really test drive them both.

Curious what you decide.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:16 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
First of all, BMW CA really f-ed up badly on their packaging and options for the X3. I feel kinda bad for y'all in Canada, paying a lot more for a car with more restrictions on ordering. I guess getting xenons is not possible on the 28i?

I really can't like Black leather with the Siena light wood. Most demos have this colour combo and it's unimaginative and not luxurious either. But that's just my €0,02.

But back to the central question. I'd just go for the 28i.........it's plenty fast and will likely consume less in "real world" driving. The 35i has an obnoxious throttle tip-in ("all or nothing") which means you'll probably be using the turbos quite a lot, which means substantially higher fuel consumption than what laboratory tests get. I test drove the 35i and found the extra power a bit too much, even for merging onto the freeway. Conceptually, it's like having a rocket-powered small private jet.........not necessary at all and superfluous unless your goal is to rack up demerit points and lose your licence on the first day of ownership.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:38 PM

Thanks for your input guys.

AzNM - the Xenons are part of the 28i Premium package in Canada, It cost a total of $3600 and also includes auto dimming int/ext mirrors, parking distance control, x-line package and the sun roof. I have already orderd the sun roof, so the xenons and the remainder of the package would cost an additional $1700.

I will definitely post my final decision.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 VW Passat 1.8T
I will say it is a difficult decision without a test drive.

But also, I had a blast testing the X28 and really loved it.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:50 PM
Fountainhead

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
I was struggling with the same decision a few years ago. Fully loaded 328 or base 335? I went with the 328 and while I did love that car, I always regretted not getting the 35. But that's just me.

This time I'm splitting the difference and getting a modestly optioned 35.
Old 02-02-2011, 05:03 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcA78 View Post
I always regretted not getting the 35. But that's just me.
That's why I will be getting the 35 with less option also when time comes. SUV or not, you cant never have enough power. I dont want to buy a car that I will regret later on
Old 02-02-2011, 10:51 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 x6 50i
I went back and forth on this exact issue last Saturday. The factory had to take my x6 50i back so we had a credit and decided to get to x3's. Primary use for now is for my wife for daily driving but in two years I plan to give them to my twin boys whom are entering college this Fall. The 35 drives much more smoothly and seems to work better with the 8-speed AT but at the end of the day, my wife said we could not justify the extra $5k (times 2). We did though order the xeon headlights. As my trusted salesman said, xeon's are 'must haves'.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 535XI
I totally agree with Aznm, well said.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 535Xi, 2006 X3 (wife
I have not driven the new X3, so do not have direct experience with the 28 vs 35 in that vehicle, but FWIW:

From driving my '08 535Xi, my wife and I have gotten spoiled by the smooth, effortless power and the responsiveness of the turbo engine compared to my wife's '06 X3 and my previous '06 330Xi. I find the throtle easy to modulate and the broad power band impressive. When you're on an open higway going up a long uphill grade with 3 passengers and luggage, for example, the ease with which you can keep up speed / accelerate / pass slower cars is pretty impressive and I still get good gas mileage. Yes, I am sure I could abuse the power that's available, but everyday driving, not speeding, is why I like the turbo engine so much.

The hands-on experience with our 535Xi is what would make us want the 35i if we were to buy a new X3.

Bruce
Old 02-03-2011, 01:30 AM

Mein Auto: 01 530ia Sport, 2010 Golf
I wish I could have the 35 with the 5 spoke 17" stock wheel/tire from the 28 and pay $1000 less($3000 more than 28). I hate the ugly 18" come with the 35.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:14 PM

Mein Auto: X5 50i 2011
I purcased the 3.5, sport. Love the performance, handling, fit and finish. Excellent fuel economy 20-21 mpg combined city and freeway. Nav and electronics excellent. From what I have read the new X3 is a dramatic improvement.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i
I just get e-mail from BMW invade to local dealer for X3 presentation (free food and drinks include )

Quote:
THE BMW X3 DIFFERENCE EVENT.

You’re invited to experience the difference when the all-new BMW X3 takes on the competition. It’s an event that will have you talking for weeks to come. Get behind the wheel of the exhilarating BMW X3 SAV®, and then, at the same event, get behind the wheel of one of its competitors – and experience the difference.
You’ll feel how the smooth power of a BMW engine, harnessed by the efficient 8-speed automatic transmission, stacks up against the competition. You’ll discover how xDrive, BMW’s intelligent all-wheel-drive system, helps keep you in control in virtually any conditions. To top it all off, you’ll enjoy the X3’s beautifully crafted interior and comfortable seating for up to five adults, with an additional 26 cubic feet of cargo space. It’s all part of this incredible one-day-only driving event.

As our thanks for participating in The BMW X3 Difference Event, you’ll be able to take advantage of an exclusive offer. Purchase or lease an all-new 2011 BMW X3 – and take delivery by June 30 – and you’ll receive a $500 gift card good toward any select BMW X3 vehicle accessories, such as a Luggage Rack, Lockable Roof Box, Apple iPhone® Snap-in Adapter, or Bicycle Lift System, excluding labor charges.
Don’t miss the chance to experience The BMW X3 Difference Event. While you’re at our BMW center, don’t hesitate to ask about other BMW models. Discover why BMW is The Ultimate Driving Machine®.
Spaces are limited for this event, so sign up now for your preferred driving time slot. To register, please visit bmwusa.com/X3Difference or call 1-866-905-4BMW (4269).

'13 320i Alpine White/Black/AT
Old 02-10-2011, 08:53 AM

Decision made.

Once again, thanks for all the input guys.

I went with the 35. I don't want to regret getting the lower HP engine later and when I factored in the Xenons, sport steering wheel and Hifi Sound system that come standard with the 35, as well as all the pro HP comments, it really made the decision easy.

I got it bare ass, only options are sun roof and metallic paint.

I considered the sport package, but I drive alot on rougher roads and figure the 18s will be more comfortable.

Would have liked PDC, but don't want it enough to add the entire $4000 Premium Package. I agree with AzNM, the Canadian packages are pretty frustrating. What happened to the 10 000 million ways to customize???

Considered Nav as well, but figure I wont use it enough to make it worth the money and the things I really care about are standard - basic blue tooth pairing and ability to play songs off my smart phone.

Also reconsidered the leather, but decided to keep the price down and the seat maintenance low.

Hopefully the HPFP issues are in fact sorted... this seems to be an incredibly complex vehicle in its first model year so all I can do is hope that we don't get hammered with expensive repairs just after the warranty concludes.

Cheers!!
Old 02-10-2011, 09:29 AM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB330 View Post
I just get e-mail from BMW invite to local dealer for X3 presentation (free food and drinks include )
It's not free. If the local dealer is sponsoring it, then customers of the sales and service department are paying a large part of it. If BMW NA is paying for it, then purchasers of BMWs are paying for it, kind of like the Free Maintenance programme.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:53 AM
Iwanna330Cic

Mein Auto: '11 E91 & '12 Z4 3.5i
Tack,

Just to add some support for your decision here. There is a very noticeable difference in responsiveness between the two engines. The 28 is certainly quite good, and in fact it's excellent for its size. If you've not driven either one and your coming from an old Subie, you would be very happy with this choice. Having said that... at some point you would probably have the chance to drive the 35 and given your earlier comment, therein would lie your regret. I test drove both cars on the exact same route - by myself. I noticed the 28's very respectable getty-up and felt, aha - this could save me a lot! But then when I started the 35, I immediately noticed a difference in smooth, instant, and commanding acceleration. And I was still in the parking lot! No kidding. No - I didn't hot dog the thing - I just drove off smoothly and responsibly. But I noticed the difference right away. It just speaks to you, "let's go". And yes -- you can be really careless and stupid and get out of control without much effort (that's true in both)... but you will get the feel of it and soon realize how good it feels to let that smooth torque just pull you down the road, regardless of speed (or lack of it). That - combined with the extraordinary brakes and handling dynamics just makes this thing the most fun SUV (er - sorry, SAV) I've ever driven.

I had a 335i (E93) for three years and it was the best car I ever had. No HPFP problems, no overheating, just loads of driving satisfaction. I miss that, which is why I will get the 35 if I do get an X3.

Don't regret your decision. You will love this thing!

Doug

Last edited by iwanna330cic; 02-10-2011 at 09:54 AM.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:03 PM
Fountainhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwanna330cic View Post
Tack,

Just to add some support for your decision here. There is a very noticeable difference in responsiveness between the two engines. The 28 is certainly quite good, and in fact it's excellent for its size. If you've not driven either one and your coming from an old Subie, you would be very happy with this choice. Having said that... at some point you would probably have the chance to drive the 35 and given your earlier comment, therein would lie your regret. I test drove both cars on the exact same route - by myself. I noticed the 28's very respectable getty-up and felt, aha - this could save me a lot! But then when I started the 35, I immediately noticed a difference in smooth, instant, and commanding acceleration. And I was still in the parking lot! No kidding. No - I didn't hot dog the thing - I just drove off smoothly and responsibly. But I noticed the difference right away. It just speaks to you, "let's go". And yes -- you can be really careless and stupid and get out of control without much effort (that's true in both)... but you will get the feel of it and soon realize how good it feels to let that smooth torque just pull you down the road, regardless of speed (or lack of it). That - combined with the extraordinary brakes and handling dynamics just makes this thing the most fun SUV (er - sorry, SAV) I've ever driven.

I had a 335i (E93) for three years and it was the best car I ever had. No HPFP problems, no overheating, just loads of driving satisfaction. I miss that, which is why I will get the 35 if I do get an X3.

Don't regret your decision. You will love this thing!

Doug

Nothing to add to that.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:21 AM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Three things I regret on my current X3:

Not getting sport seats

Crappy OEM stereo

And not enough power.

The new X3 can supply two out of the three things I missed out on with this X3.

Subjectively I want a new toy. Objectively, I will wait to make sure there are no HPFP problems and oil sensors growing into bigger problems.

So rather than wait two years. I figure I'll split the difference and see this August.

By then all you folks will still be giggly or a new sticky will be at the top of this page.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more
Old 02-15-2011, 09:22 AM
Fountainhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat View Post
I wish I could have the 35 with the 5 spoke 17" stock wheel/tire from the 28 and pay $1000 less($3000 more than 28). I hate the ugly 18" come with the 35.
Really? I rather like like. Diff'rent strokes...
Old 02-16-2011, 08:34 AM

Mein Auto: '08 128i cpe ac/pw/ps/abs
Quote:
...328 or...335? I went with the 328 and while I did love that car, I always regretted not getting the 35. But that's just me.
328 vs 335 is not the same comparison as x28 vs x35 because the x28 motor is higher spec than the 128/328 motors , that is there's less difference between the two in the x models, particularly in torque.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:37 AM
Fountainhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by hector View Post
328 vs 335 is not the same comparison as x28 vs x35 because the x28 motor is higher spec than the 128/328 motors , that is there's less difference between the two in the x models, particularly in torque.
Doesn't matter. The point is that the X35 is significantly faster-which, to me, means better- than the X28. The comparison stands.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:16 AM

Mein Auto: '08 128i cpe ac/pw/ps/abs
Quote:
Doesn't matter. The point is that the X35 is significantly faster-which, to me, means better- than the X28. The comparison stands.
i'm optimistic that someday they will identify the gene that is responsible for human defensiveness and a treatment for it; until then i suppose that we'll just have to bear it.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:34 AM
Fountainhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by hector View Post
i'm optimistic that someday they will identify the gene that is responsible for human defensiveness and a treatment for it; until then i suppose that we'll just have to bear it.
So I make an apt comparison and have the audacity to stand by it and this somehow makes me overly defensive?
Call me an optimist, but I hold out hope for the day science can isolate and eliminate the gene that causes human douchy-ness.