Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 02-02-2011, 07:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 M35x
I hear the same exact whine the OP describes in my wife's new 2011 xi automatic (1.4k miles).
I think my wife is oblivious to it because she keeps the tunes cranked up. It seems a bit loud for me to be
acceptable, but the noise is tolerable.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:46 PM
Don't Judge Me!

Send a message via Yahoo to GiaGiaJa
Mein Auto: Sedan 328i iDrive AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Toddy View Post
I am okay with that. Fake wild noises usually work fine if everyone just goes along with it. You know, GiaGia, you add a lot to this forum. I can't figure out if you are in Thailand or Las Vegas. I am guessing Las Vegas which is fine because it is closer. If I ever get as far away as Bankok, I may not be coming back.

Hot Toddy
LOL After working in the rice paddy in Thighland for a while..... I had to moved to USA 15 years ago and since I am a drug abuse,gamble addict and shopalcholic...I decided Las Vegas is my home
Don't let me corrupted your good southern manners!

If you ever get as far as BanKoK.... They will rob your wallet...so you can't come back.

Yep ...gotta give credit to dtc100.

Ohhhhh.... The ultimate attraction
"Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves." Albert Einstein

Last edited by GiaGiaJa; 02-02-2011 at 08:35 PM.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_C View Post
I hear the same exact whine the OP describes in my wife's new 2011 xi automatic (1.4k miles).
I think my wife is oblivious to it because she keeps the tunes cranked up. It seems a bit loud for me to be
acceptable, but the noise is tolerable.
Did you listen to the video in the link in my post on the previous page (reply #10)?

I agree with the "tolerable but a bit loud to be acceptable" description you gave. It really is pretty loud, I noticed it more today. It kind of blends in with the engine sound but not 100%, it goes above it.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
I like the way you talk. Actually, I usually say that if I ever get that far I won't be coming back about other far away places such as Tahiti, New Zealand, or Australia - not Thailand. It really is just a saying of mine as I will never get away to those places. I will take your word for it and not go to BanKoK. It is especially nice to have some girls who like cars on the forums. Go ahead and corrupted us.

Hot Toddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiaGiaJa View Post
LOL After working in the rice paddy in Thighland for a while..... I had to moved to USA 15 years ago and since I am a drug abuse,gamble addict and shopalcholic...I decided Las Vegas is my home
Don't let me corrupted your good southern manners!

If you ever get as far as BanKoK.... They will rob your wallet...so you can't come back.

Yep ...gotta give credit to dtc100.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 M35x
Quote:
Originally Posted by armando95 View Post
Did you listen to the video in the link in my post on the previous page (reply #10)?

I agree with the "tolerable but a bit loud to be acceptable" description you gave. It really is pretty loud, I noticed it more today. It kind of blends in with the engine sound but not 100%, it goes above it.
Yes, I listened to the video before responding. The OP description + noise in the video + the noise my wife's 328xi all appear to be one in the same.

I understand exactly what you mean about blending in with engine rpm sound but goes above it.

That is what confuses me. I still cannot figure if it is coming from engine, transfer case or transmission. It very much sounds like a gear whine for sure.

I am going to mention it & snoop around for answers during my first service visit, but it is a long way off.

My honest feeling was that the wife's 328xi was probably not the only one doing it, and now that appears to be confirmed.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:22 AM

Regarding the NA engine whine, my 2011 328i had what I thought sounded like a whiney little engine. The car was very quiet and all that I heard in normal driving was the whiney engine. I drove it for about a month and then installed BMW performance exhaust and intake. I can still hear the engine whine if I drive very easy, but once the revs are over 1,500 rpm's then I don't hear any engine whine. The combo exhaust and intake is probably not necessary to get the car a little louder. The exhaust was done first on my car and was an excellent sound. For some reason, when the intake was added, the exhaust got a lot louder. It may be a little boderline loud on such a nice car, but I am okay with it for now. I had a G37 before on which the exhaust note was quite loud. My 328i is quieter than the G37 when driving slowly or normally, but it is at least as loud or louder when driving fast. Not a bad tradeoff, IMO. This is one person's way to get over the engine whine. I really did the exhaust and intake mods to get a very little bit more performance and also to drown out the whine. The exhaust mod is so easy to accomplish and can be reversed if so desired. Obviously, the intake can easily be reversed also.

Hot Toddy
Old 02-03-2011, 06:20 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Quote:
Regarding the NA engine whine, my 2011 328i had what I thought sounded like a whiney little engine. The car was very quiet and all that I heard in normal driving was the whiney engine. I drove it for about a month and then installed BMW performance exhaust and intake. I can still hear the engine whine if I drive very easy, but once the revs are over 1,500 rpm's then I don't hear any engine whine. The combo exhaust and intake is probably not necessary to get the car a little louder. The exhaust was done first on my car and was an excellent sound. For some reason, when the intake was added, the exhaust got a lot louder. It may be a little boderline loud on such a nice car, but I am okay with it for now. I had a G37 before on which the exhaust note was quite loud. My 328i is quieter than the G37 when driving slowly or normally, but it is at least as loud or louder when driving fast. Not a bad tradeoff, IMO. This is one person's way to get over the engine whine. I really did the exhaust and intake mods to get a very little bit more performance and also to drown out the whine. The exhaust mod is so easy to accomplish and can be reversed if so desired. Obviously, the intake can easily be reversed also.

Hot Toddy
I like your mods but they are quite costly to just drown out the whine. I also agree with you the G37 had much more noise from the drive train, tires and cabin. So all things are relative. It is funny the above poster specifically pointed out how his wife was oblivious to her 328i's whine, reminded me how I learned to be oblivious to my wife's whine, not during sex of course.

BTW, I listened to the video again, it did have more whine than mine. Also since such whine is present even in neutral, it cannot be from the GM tranny. I think people have unfairly blamed too many things on the GM tranny, when in fact a lot of the throttle issues are software related. People who got their ECU tuned no longer have such throttle response issues.

Last edited by dtc100; 02-03-2011 at 06:32 AM.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:36 AM

I would rather that the whine not be from the transmission. I agree that my mods were a bit much to get rid of the whine, but hey, I am getting 3 to 6 more horsepower out of the engine now. About the same as removing a 12 pack out of the trunk. My engine whine used to be very pronounced while driving down the road until you got to highway speeds. It may be coming from the stock intake system and I think that I can still hear it even now. I have the whine overpowered now.

Hot Toddy
Old 02-03-2011, 09:40 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to Jncsk8r
Mein Auto: 2008 328i (E90)
Hot Toddy, I like how you think... drown out those unwanted noises with engine modifications. Oh, and i'll be posting pictures of my xm onyx install in the next couple of days.

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer App

------2008 328i Alpine White------
Old 02-03-2011, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_C View Post
Yes, I listened to the video before responding. The OP description + noise in the video + the noise my wife's 328xi all appear to be one in the same.

I understand exactly what you mean about blending in with engine rpm sound but goes above it.

That is what confuses me. I still cannot figure if it is coming from engine, transfer case or transmission. It very much sounds like a gear whine for sure.

I am going to mention it & snoop around for answers during my first service visit, but it is a long way off.

My honest feeling was that the wife's 328xi was probably not the only one doing it, and now that appears to be confirmed.
It really does sound like gear whine, 100%. But I can't see how it's transmission related. The transmission should be disconnected in park, the torque converter should not even be spinning. So unless it's in the shaft going to the torque converter I think it has to be in the engine.

Also I don't have an x-drive model so I know it can't be transfer case.

Someone else in the other thread mentioned the accessories drive belt. There was also a thread labeled 'alternator whine'. Perhaps it's something like that.

Last edited by armando95; 02-03-2011 at 10:57 AM.
Old 02-03-2011, 03:03 PM

The 3 series forums have more fun...hands down...

Old 02-04-2011, 01:40 PM

Mein Auto: '14 550i xDrive
Had a 328xi loaner yesterday, and noticed a whine that sounded like a failing power steering pump. Even my "non-car-guy" coworker asked why the car was making so much noise.

Past: '11 335i xDrive Coupe - 6MT

Past: '08 335xi Coupe - 6MT

Euro Delivery
Old 02-04-2011, 02:16 PM

Quote:
I would rather that the whine not be from the transmission. I agree that my mods were a bit much to get rid of the whine, but hey, I am getting 3 to 6 more horsepower out of the engine now. About the same as removing a 12 pack out of the trunk. My engine whine used to be very pronounced while driving down the road until you got to highway speeds. It may be coming from the stock intake system and I think that I can still hear it even now. I have the whine overpowered now.

Hot Toddy
I wasn’t making fun of your BMW PI and PE mods, yes they are more expensive but they are BMW. Some people don’t care for the louder sound so this would not have been the cure for the engine whine even if it were not expensive. Might as well turn up the speakers.

BTW, the secondary ram air intake mod (similar to the $400+ Dinan ram air intake kit except without the removal of the bumper and only $22 material cost) with an aFe drop in high flow filter ($70) will make the car come alive and add intake sound too, similar to the euro airbox mod except again at much less cost.

For $400+ I would just get the BMW PI, or go full DIY route. What is the lowest BMW PE cost? Can one DIY it or does this have to be done in a shop?
Old 02-04-2011, 04:10 PM

The performance exhaust was about $1,100 and is all stainless steel. I took it to a muffler shop because I don't have a way to get the car up on stands or anything like that. Once the car is up on the lift, the installation becomes clear and the measurment of where to cut is easily and accurately done. It is a two person job as the exhaust section is long and awkward to handle. It could be a DIY with two people and the car on stands. The old exhaust saws easily with a sawsall. The muffler shop crew handled it in less than an hour at minimal cost. They enjoyed tearing up brand new stuff.

The BMW PI was more than $400, more like $700. It was more of a pain to install than the exhaust. I did it myself and had never taken a BMW airbox apart before. I got both systems from Tischer (getbmwparts.com).

Hot Toddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc100 View Post
I wasn’t making fun of your BMW PI and PE mods, yes they are more expensive but they are BMW. Some people don’t care for the louder sound so this would not have been the cure for the engine whine even if it were not expensive. Might as well turn up the speakers.

BTW, the secondary ram air intake mod (similar to the $400+ Dinan ram air intake kit except without the removal of the bumper and only $22 material cost) with an aFe drop in high flow filter ($70) will make the car come alive and add intake sound too, similar to the euro airbox mod except again at much less cost.

For $400+ I would just get the BMW PI, or go full DIY route. What is the lowest BMW PE cost? Can one DIY it or does this have to be done in a shop?
Old 02-04-2011, 07:57 PM

Quote:
The BMW PI was more than $400, more like $700. It was more of a pain to install than the exhaust.

Hot Toddy
I knew the BMW PI cost more than the euro airbox/K&N filter, but if one decides to shell out $400+ might as well spend $700 on a BMW PI, or be willing to get dirty and do the DIY second ram air intake. I doubt it is more pain to install a BMW PI than install a BMW PE though.

But back to the topic, unless the engine whine is so intolerable, otherwise we need to understand it is part of the excitement of driving a BMW. If one likes a quiet cabin and insolated from the road, should have gone with a Lexus or MB.

Last edited by dtc100; 02-04-2011 at 08:02 PM.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:16 PM

Mein Auto: '11 E91 M-sport/manual
I was given a 328i (RWD+auto) for a loaner last week when I brought my car in for the HPFP recall. I noticed a relatively pronounced whine that seemed to be transmission related. When I got back in my car the ZF box was much quieter. I've noticed this whine in a few other 328i's I've driven, I've had 5 different ones for loaners. They all have the whine, Xdrive or not.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:52 PM

What makes you think it's transmission related? I didn't think mine was since the whine goes up with engine rpm when in park or neutral....maybe I'm missing something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grendel335 View Post
I was given a 328i (RWD+auto) for a loaner last week when I brought my car in for the HPFP recall. I noticed a relatively pronounced whine that seemed to be transmission related. When I got back in my car the ZF box was much quieter. I've noticed this whine in a few other 328i's I've driven, I've had 5 different ones for loaners. They all have the whine, Xdrive or not.

Sent from my PC36100 using Bimmer App
Old 02-05-2011, 12:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 328i, Montego Blue
I have a manual transmission and I notice a slight whine.

I never thought it was something to worry about and I still don't..

I used to have a civic that on occasion whistled or had a high pitch whine, and I traced the noise to the air intake (well, I stopped when I got to that point). Had the problem for years. I ended up selling the car at 190k miles and the new owner didn't have any problems with it.

I don't think I would worry about it.. But if you want to search for the noise, check the air intake, as it could be channeled through it, and would explain the variable pitch increasing with engine RPM's, as it sucks more air into the engine..
Old 02-05-2011, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Fox View Post
...But if you want to search for the noise, check the air intake, as it could be channeled through it, and would explain the variable pitch increasing with engine RPM's, as it sucks more air into the engine..
Good point, people who replaced their stock intakes with the aFe open intakes don't complain about engine whine, of course they put those aftermarket intakes in to get more sound, not less
Old 02-05-2011, 09:18 AM

Mein Auto: '11 E91 M-sport/manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by armando95 View Post
What makes you think it's transmission related? I didn't think mine was since the whine goes up with engine rpm when in park or neutral....maybe I'm missing something?
It sounds like gear/differential whine in 1st/2nd/3rd gears - thought it seemed less noticeable in 3rd and couldn't hear it much at all in 4th/5th/6th. It got quieter when lifting off the trottle to the neutral point (modulating between acceleration/deceleration). This observation is admittedly wholistically unscientific however, didn't want to spend too much time tracing perceived faults in loaner cars .

I was pretty impressed with the 328 though. I sometimes wish I'd gone with a manual 328 as opposed to an auto 335.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:56 AM
Iwanna330Cic

Mein Auto: '11 E91 & '12 Z4 3.5i
So, as the OP, I thought I'd chime in again. Yesterday I test drove a different brand-new 328xi sedan. Guess what - almost no whine. It was there - but much less pronounced, and it was something that I could easily live with. Now I'm concerned that if I order the sportwagon XDrive, I might get a real whiner... so to speak. This is unnerving, and makes me feel like I shouldn't take the chance but get the more expensive and larger X3. I guess I should go check out the new Acura sportwagon while I'm at it, huh?

Doug
Old 02-09-2011, 09:18 AM

If you have been driving 3's so far and enjoying the experience, minus the whine, you will be disappointed by the new X3, or any crossovers.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:36 PM

...are we seeing an AT vs MT difference or equal accross the board in all 328i's???

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer App

Old 02-13-2011, 05:51 AM

Mein Auto: 540i
After this winter, quit your sniveling and man-up. All 4WD and AWD are noisy, get used to it or spend the winter wondering if you are going to get to work, ouit of your driveway or survive the interstate. I have a wondeful, quiet 540i I can trade you.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:22 AM
Iwanna330Cic

Mein Auto: '11 E91 & '12 Z4 3.5i
Melrose - if that comment was directed at me, it was pretty obnoxious and unnecessary. Some of us care about how the car sounds when we drive it - especially at $50K price levels.

Doug