Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 02-02-2011, 08:14 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 535ix
Should I trade my E60 for an F10?

My 2008 528i only has 28K on it. Warranty expires in March (two months)

If trade up now to a 2011 I won't have to purchase the extended warranty for $3500 and my vehicle has good trade in value now, plus there will probably be more rebates coming like the Holiday ones they had at the end of 2010. I'm also going to need a set of tires.

But, I really DO NOT want runflats or electric steering.

Having a tough time deciding
I am open to all opinions

Thanks

Alan

Prior-2011 528i-Imperial Blue Metallic, Venetian Beige Leather,Prem Pkg, Split fold down rear seat,Heated seats , NAV
Prior- 2008 528i,Black sapphire metallic,Oyster dakota leather
CD,CWP,NAV,PREM PKG,ST,WT
Advertisement
Old 02-02-2011, 08:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 528i
Depends on what you want. If you don't want run flats or electric steering, why even bother considering. I expect that 528i will be reasonably reliable (compared to 535 and 550). If you do maintenance diligently and keep the car for a long time, financially you'll come out way ahead.

Personally I like the old style better and don't want a car without a spare. Also for reliability reason, I would stay away from 1st year models.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:59 PM

Mein Auto: E70 & F04
I would. The F10 is much more refined than the E60 and has a body structure that feels much more rigid. I ordered my F10 back in december and took advantage of the lower MSRP and holiday credit, It probably won't be here until march so we will see if a newer better program comes out then!
Old 02-03-2011, 06:07 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
It's such a different car that you can't really ask anyone else this question. YOU have to drive the car, a good long test drive, find someone that has one that's willing to give you a ride in it, test drives are not enough) and decide if it's something you want.

Financially, it's almost always better to keep the older car.

Ordering an XDrive will get you away from the electric steering. Personally I find nothing wrong with the steering. I think there's a lot of hype over it from magazines and traditionalists who are simply stating their piece, but again, in the end, it's up to YOU.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 02-03-2011, 06:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 528i/2007 328i Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMQ View Post
Depends on what you want. If you don't want run flats or electric steering, why even bother considering.

Can't you buy an F10 without electric steering?
Old 02-03-2011, 08:01 AM

Mein Auto: E92 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
It's such a different car that you can't really ask anyone else this question. YOU have to drive the car, a good long test drive, find someone that has one that's willing to give you a ride in it, test drives are not enough) and decide if it's something you want.

Financially, it's almost always better to keep the older car.

Ordering an XDrive will get you away from the electric steering. Personally I find nothing wrong with the steering. I think there's a lot of hype over it from magazines and traditionalists who are simply stating their piece, but again, in the end, it's up to YOU.
+***8734;.
It's an individual choice, don't listen to the press or anyone other than you and who ever else will drive the car. If there is any financial concern, don't do it. If you're flush and have the means....
Old 02-03-2011, 10:01 AM

Mein Auto: F11 530D
I rather like the electric steering on my F11.
If you dont want it (I shure don't know why not) consider an AWD.

I do not like the ride with runflats, so I bought the car with non runflats.
It was rather easy, the dealer could deliver the car with the tires I wanted, or had no deal.
So I got the tyres I want, with the (rather poor) mobility kit.

And then keeping the old E60 or have the fun of driving a brand new F10???

Excuse me, but what do you gues.....

They are not comparable; the E60 is of an older era.
The new product is much more advanced then the old car from the ancient windows XP times...

And seriously, you can not really compare the cars like some enthousiast here are trying all the time.

If I want to have a fast spin in a very responsive car I use my GTI with stick and only 200 bhp for an half hour.
Nor the E60, or the F10 can beat that little car in "direct driver" experience.
An M3 is something different again for sure, maybe if it is something like that tou are looking for you should consider the 1M!
I drive 40000 km per year, but only 1000 of them in the 2008 GTI.

The 250 bhp, 540 nm torque with the ZF AT is a wonder for fast, comfortable, family highway trips.
I get 900 km actieradius at 150 km/hr. And so doing reguarly finish a full tank in 6 hours.
And enjoying everyone of them!

Last edited by Sophisto; 02-03-2011 at 11:22 AM.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:21 PM

Mein Auto: E39 525i
Get the F10 IF YOU CAN AFFORD IT
Old 02-10-2011, 11:04 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535ix
Question

Not to be too obsessive but I have two more issues confounding my decision:

1- Should I wait until September when the 528i will be available with X drive ( 2012 model year) We have had an awful winter in the Northeastern US and my 528i has not been used much as a result of the snow and ice

2-Are there any incentives anticipated in the near future?

Like the holiday cash $2500, they had in December

Prior-2011 528i-Imperial Blue Metallic, Venetian Beige Leather,Prem Pkg, Split fold down rear seat,Heated seats , NAV
Prior- 2008 528i,Black sapphire metallic,Oyster dakota leather
CD,CWP,NAV,PREM PKG,ST,WT
Old 02-10-2011, 11:50 AM

Mein Auto: f10 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by alandf View Post

1- Should I wait until September when the 528i will be available with X drive ( 2012 model year) We have had an awful winter in the Northeastern US and my 528i has not been used much as a result of the snow and ice

i always see these threads about xdrive and winter, we get a lot of snow here in canada and I never had any problems in my old rwd 335 and now rwd 528 with a good snow tires.... you really don't need xdrive if you have good snow tires... if you're planning to keep that car for a while I only see it as a bad thing, more parts=more things can go wrong, it's probably a little heavier and it will eat more gas....
Old 02-10-2011, 12:10 PM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by alandf View Post

Last year's cash was $1,500, not $2,500.

With that engine, i would not want the weight of xDrive. My RWD on Conti Extreme Contact DWS (all seasons) just did great in rough snow a couple of weeks ago. With snows, it would be a tank.

Save the money and the extra weight and get a RWD one. Bite the bullet and get some snows.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 02-10-2011, 12:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 650 Coupe, 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpwr View Post
i always see these threads about xdrive and winter, we get a lot of snow here in canada and I never had any problems in my old rwd 335 and now rwd 528 with a good snow tires.... you really don't need xdrive if you have good snow tires... if you're planning to keep that car for a while I only see it as a bad thing, more parts=more things can go wrong, it's probably a little heavier and it will eat more gas....
+1 if I want Xdrive I would much rather get an suv BMW cars are at their best rwd!

2012, 650i Coupe, Carbon Black, Black Nappa leather, M Sport , CWP,DAP, IAS, 20" Wheels,
BMWCCA Member since 07/2008
Old 02-11-2011, 08:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 E61
I had a F loan and did not like it. It felt to big and the smother ride results in no road feel.

Test drive one before making the change.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550xi sport
It's a whole new car. Day and night. From the inside and the drive. It's that simple