Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)

F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)
The 5 Series Gran Turismo -- now available in the USA as a 535i, 550i and 550i xDrive model.

Old 02-04-2011, 09:25 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 335d & 2014 535i
A7 is comin !

Any opinion > http://models.audiusa.com/a7
Advertisement
Old 02-04-2011, 11:22 AM
Eye of the Wolf

Mein Auto: M3 ZCP, X3 35i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoucity View Post
I posted this on the e 90 site this AM - but it is apropos here - and yes let's hopefully get some participation on our home forum!

Audi’s entrance into the premium hatch-back market will perhaps serve to provide critical mass to a market that is just emerging in the US. As more premium brands offer their interpretations- the concept of premium hatch will become more familiar and the segment will generally come to be perceived as a proper alternative domain of luxury cars. The Aston Martin Rapide. Porsche Panamera, BMW GT and now the Audi 7 each incorporates their unique brand language. As disparate as each offering is - when compared one to another – the design concept of a fast, stylish car that offers luxury and superior utility, and driving satisfaction, appears to be a central motivating principle common to all. In short - more to the party the better!

As to the Audi A7 – the car appears to masterfully incorporate the brands styling cues. The overall look from photos is very slick. I do wonder to what degree the styling compromises utility. In general the A7 perfectly communicates “Audiness” – a message that I have never desired or found appealing.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:39 AM
BMWCCA Member

Mein Auto: 550ix GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by svanil View Post
In general the A7 perfectly communicates “Audiness” – a message that I have never desired or found appealing.
Couldn't say it any better!

Overall, I am happy to see more premium hatchbacks. I agree that this niche appears much more diverse in terms of style compared to luxury sedans or sport sedans.

Last edited by *dima*; 02-04-2011 at 11:44 AM.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:05 PM
Eye of the Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by *dima* View Post
Couldn't say it any better!

Overall, I am happy to see more premium hatchbacks. I agree that this niche appears much more diverse in terms of style compared to luxury sedans or sport sedans.
dima - welcome to the tribe!

Get ready - you are going to like your new ride!

Audi's participation will help mainstream the concept which is a good thing
but I do seem to have a particular disdain for all things Audi
- I should get over it.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:42 PM

question

@ svanil

Since you are one of the few that actually own 5GT, do you find it more rear room in GT than F10 sedan? I've been pondering about F10 sedan especially waiting for the arrival of oil burner version, then this A7 shows up from nowhere.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:30 PM
Eye of the Wolf

Quote:
@ svanil

Since you are one of the few that actually own 5GT, do you find it more rear room in GT than F10 sedan? I've been pondering about F10 sedan especially waiting for the arrival of oil burner version, then this A7 shows up from nowhere.
Dynamically the 550i GT and the 550i F10 are close with the F10 edging out the 5GT assuming both are equiped with sport packages, but in terms of luxury and space they are different worlds. The 5GT is built on 7 series architecture and the back seat has more space than a 750i. Indeed, I find that the 5GT is more comfortable than a 750il because of the height and positioning of the seats. In terms of cargo area I am told there is more space in a 5GT than an X5 when the rear seats are folded down. The GT is really unique car and I think it represents BMW's best value for the money - 7 series space and luxury at a 5 series price. I believe the 550i GT is a misnomer - a more apt name for the GT should be 750i GT.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 650cic/ 2012 M3 ZCP
Quote:
Dynamically the 550i GT and the 550i F10 are close with the F10 edging out the 5GT assuming both are equiped with sport packages, but in terms of luxury and space they are different worlds. The 5GT is built on 7 series architecture and the back seat has more space than a 750i. Indeed, I find that the 5GT is more comfortable than a 750il because of the height and positioning of the seats. In terms of cargo area I am told there is more space in a 5GT than an X5 when the rear seats are folded down. The GT is really unique car and I think it represents BMW's best value for the money - 7 series space and luxury at a 5 series price. I believe the 550i GT is a misnomer - a more apt name for the GT should be 750i GT.
From 1 GT owner to another.......I concurr!!!!
2012 X3 35i Titanium Silver/Black ZAP/ZPP/TECH/APPS/Breyton GTS/Continental Extreme DW (20's)
Old 02-04-2011, 05:50 PM
Eye of the Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by car-fan View Post
From 1 GT owner to another.......I concurr!!!!
From 1 GT owner to another......Nice Job on the E90 Forum!
Old 02-04-2011, 06:03 PM

Quote:
dima - welcome to the tribe!

Get ready - you are going to like your new ride!

Audi's participation will help mainstream the concept which is a good thing
but I do seem to have a particular disdain for all things Audi
- I should get over it.
As good as the Audi may be. All it will see is the beautiful Blown Glass tailamps and shimmering trapezodial chrome tailpipes of the 550i GT as it disapears off into the distance
2012 X3 35i Titanium Silver/Black ZAP/ZPP/TECH/APPS/Breyton GTS/Continental Extreme DW (20's)
Old 02-04-2011, 06:51 PM
Eye of the Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by car-fan View Post
As good as the Audi may be. All it will see is the beautiful Blown Glass tailamps and shimmering trapezodial chrome tailpipes of the 550i GT as it disapears off into the distance
Yep...my 550i GT is faster ...yours warps to another dimension...

I was looking at the overall dimensions of the A7 on the Audi site...correct me if I am wrong but it looks like a slightly stretched A6. The interior - especially the back seat space is limited. I marvel at the space of the 5GT and how small the car drives even though its dimensions are 7 series in scale. On first consideration, I thought the A7 might be a serious competitor to the 535i GT but after further examination, I think they fill different niches. The A7 on paper is faster but the BMW 535i GT offers more utility and the luxury of space. I think our 550i GTs blow the A7 away dynamically, indeed, I prefer the 'total package" that the BMW GT offers. Aesthetically the Audi is slicker but the BMW GT offers a robust athletic styling that has real road presence if not gravitas. I see the A7 being more a fashion statement competing with something like a Mercedes CLS. I don't see BMW or Porsche Panamera buyers seriously considering the car. In canine terms - the A7 is an Afghan hound - the BMW GT is a German shepherd.

Last edited by Capobranco; 02-04-2011 at 07:01 PM.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:41 PM

Quote:
From 1 GT owner to another......Nice Job on the E90 Forum!
Thanks and you as well. I think some of the "3er's" get it others don't. But both you and I, as well as other members of this board, know that the GT needs no excuses
Old 02-04-2011, 08:44 PM

:gay:

okay... I'm getting uncomfortable. I'm going to excuse myself while you two have fun.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Yep...my 550i GT is faster ...yours warps to another dimension...

I was looking at the overall dimensions of the A7 on the Audi site...correct me if I am wrong but it looks like a slightly stretched A6. The interior - especially the back seat space is limited. I marvel at the space of the 5GT and how small the car drives even though its dimensions are 7 series in scale. On first consideration, I thought the A7 might be a serious competitor to the 535i GT but after further examination, I think they fill different niches. The A7 on paper is faster but the BMW 535i GT offers more utility and the luxury of space. I think our 550i GTs blow the A7 away dynamically, indeed, I prefer the 'total package" that the BMW GT offers. Aesthetically the Audi is slicker but the BMW GT offers a robust athletic styling that has real road presence if not gravitas. I see the A7 being more a fashion statement competing with something like a Mercedes CLS. I don't see BMW or Porsche Panamera buyers seriously considering the car. In canine terms - the A7 is an Afghan hound - the BMW GT is a German shepherd.
A7 is slick on the outside and very contemporary on the inside. However, I am sure without even seeing the interior of the A7 in person, that the interior of the GT is more upscale and refined. As I stated on the e90 forum, I drove the new generation A8, asside from the execution of the gadgets and Audis new take on ambient interior lighting, the GT imparts a more luxurious feel.

Exterior wise the only thing one may mistake a GT for is a 7, but our tail lamps are more pronounced. side view totally different, and somewhat so with the headlights. The front of the GT resembles the F10 sedan in the lower front air dam, side signal marker lamps, and exterior side mirrors only. No one even seems to realize that we have "frameless" side windows - 4 of them. Its kinda cool rolling down the windows and opening the doors and not having a frame All these comparisons about it looking about an x6 (aside from the c pillar) also seems far off to me. I could go on but I will stop now
Old 02-05-2011, 04:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 650 Coupe, 323i
I saw the A7 at the DC Auto Show last week and I definitely liked it, the lines just flowed really well, a very nice looking four door coupe, the interior was very well crafted as well. The picture on the Audi site does not do it justice at all, its a whole different car in person.

2012, 650i Coupe, Carbon Black, Black Nappa leather, M Sport , CWP,DAP, IAS, 20" Wheels,
BMWCCA Member since 07/2008
Old 02-05-2011, 06:01 PM

Send a message via AIM to jim
Mein Auto: F80 M3
Quote:

okay... I'm getting uncomfortable. I'm going to excuse myself while you two have fun.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:21 AM
Eye of the Wolf

Laughing your what off…hmmmmmmmm……preoccupied with things queer?…..
Perhaps your Freudian slip is showing? ……I’m just thaying……

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	freudianslip57.jpg
Views:	777
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	265404  
Old 02-07-2011, 01:03 PM
Eye of the Wolf

More to the party the better!

Per RaceBlood – 5 Series GT – General BMW
"There is a article in this weeks Autoweek, about the soon to be announced Audi A9, a fastback based on the A8, though sharing a development/chassis with Lamborghini, though the hold up is having a lower front suspension/engine set up for a low hood line (Porsche Panamera) for the Lambo. 2013 at the earliest."

I said in my prior post that as more brands enter the luxury 5 door/hatch segment, the segment will gain a critical mass that will serve to make a market. Apparently Audi believes in the segment and is developing a new luxury 5 door based on the A-8. The new Audi will have the additional benefit of BMW's and the A7 experience in the market. Perhaps this will be a true competitor to the 550i GT offering a luxury experience combining space (utility) and performance. I would imagine the Audi A8 Hatch will take the form of a pumped A7. It will be interesting to see how the new Audi A8 Hatch is positioned vis-à-vis the Panamera. One resolution might be to allow the Audi to emphasize luxury and utility while Porsche remains the drivers alternative. As we know on this forum, the 550i GT has provided a unique BMW answer to the question - combining an engaging driving experience with luxury, utility, and an athletic persona.

Last edited by Capobranco; 02-16-2011 at 03:14 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:18 PM
Eye of the Wolf

Having had time to examine the photos of the A7 and specs per the Audi site I really see the A7 as being a very stylish offering that will compete directly with the Mercedes CLS. The A7 offers high style but not the space of the 5 Series GT. This is to be expected since the A7 appears to be based on A6 architecture and the 5 GT is really a seven series beneath the skin. The 5 GT and A7 are really different class cars and have different missions . Common to both is the 5 door/hatch concept otherwise they appear to be quite disparate offerings.

In terms of the A7 styling – looking at the photos there is a lot to like and very little to dislike. The proportions are elegant – Audi appears to have made the choice to emphasize a smooth flowing line and has carefully resolved the back of the car without engendering the fierce controversy of the Panamera or 5GT. I would imagine the car will have a striking road presence. The sleek lines, artful proportions, and delicate handling of surfaces impart an almost feminine feeling, and a sense of lightness, if not swiftness – a lithe feline. The 5 GT and BMWs in general are styled to convey a feeling of robust masculine athleticism. The language of BMW communicates prowess and a seriousness of purpose. BMWs and the 5GT in particular impart the feeling that form and function are joined at the hip. BMW styling cues are assertively incorporated to convey a feeling of power, and competency. The 5 GT’s styling conveys not only that this is a special BMW endowed with special talents but real road presence – a gravitas that cannot be ignored. The Audi is a very elegant cheetah and the BMW is a lion.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:51 PM

That makes sense:

A9 = sportback version of A8;
A7= sportback version of A6;
A5 = sportback version of A4 (available in EU),
Old 02-07-2011, 03:03 PM
Eye of the Wolf

Quote:
That makes sense:

A9 = sportback version of A8;
A7= sportback version of A6;
A5 = sportback version of A4 (available in EU),
plus note upcoming BMW GTs

3 series GT - upscale 335i based GT to bridge 3 series and 5 series - 2012 introduction
1 series GT - details to be confirmed

I find the introduction of premium 5 door/hatches combining sports car attributes with upscale packaging and utility to be a huge positive development. I wonder if they will find a market in America. I have never understood Americans' reticence regarding the concept of a luxury hatch. Personally I feel more attune with the concept of a 5 GT than a traditional luxury 7 series, but I have lived my life with one foot planted in America
and the other in Europe.

Last edited by Capobranco; 02-07-2011 at 03:09 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:57 PM

Quote:
... The proportions are elegant – Audi appears to have made the choice to emphasize a smooth flowing line and has carefully resolved the back of the car without engendering the fierce controversy of the Panamera or 5GT. ...
They seems to understand the design from B pillar rearward can break or make a sportback. There are little details such as that retractable spoiler in the photo that really shows someone on the designing team has been paying attention.

BMW has generally done a great job of manufacturing 50/50 vehicles. It will be interesting if A7 will continue to be nose heavy like its siblings.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	audi-spoiler.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	265605  

Last edited by bayoucity; 02-07-2011 at 05:59 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:05 PM
Eye of the Wolf

Quote:
They seems to understand the design from B pillar rearward can break or make a sportback. There are little details such as that retractable spoiler in the photo that really shows someone on the designing team has been paying attention.

BMW has generally done a great job of manufacturing 50/50 vehicles. It will be interesting if A7 will continue to be nose heavy like its siblings.
Agreed. The Audi spoiler is a nice detail that not only looks great but also communicates that the Audi A7 is a fast car capable of very high-sustained speeds.

In the two months, since I have owned my 5 GT I have grown fond of the distinctive rear end of the car. Although the massive rear of the 5 GT will never be deemed pretty - I think it works. The rear styling is distinctive, if not provocative, and suggests the power and capability of the car by utilizing BMW styling cues - not unlike the BMW X6.

In the end, the BMW works by conveying BMW athleticism but the Audi is the sleek car - a real stunner. Dynamically the initial reviews look good. Attached is AutoExpress' review from the UK which I do not think is entirely accurate but that is another story......
(The 5GT is 7 series based and the A7 is an A6 which makes comparisons problematical).

Old 02-07-2011, 09:20 PM

Quote:

ahhh cmon' we just want you to bring your A7 out to play. Promise we won't break it
Old 02-07-2011, 09:28 PM

Quote:

add to that the revised 40 front/ 60 rear drive bias that Audi has employed for the last couple years .

I like the retractable spoiler. I wonder if its truly needed to keep the car on the road. Remember the aerodynamic issues with the first TT's?.
Old 02-16-2011, 02:54 PM

I get an update today: The new model is expected to start delivery via the Euro Delivery Program in early July 2011. FYI.