Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 12-17-2014, 11:14 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '12 X5 50i, '13 Prius C4
Route66 Extended warranty for X5

My auto loan is through DCU, and they offer Route66 extended warranty. My factory warranty expires in a few months, and I'm considering buying Route66 in lieu of BMW platinum that I was initially considering.

They seem pretty popular option for 5-series cars: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=564402

Up until recently, the X5s were not eligible for the but now they are (and hence not much discussion about it in the E70 forum). I thought the following information would be useful for members here.

Their top tier plan is the "easy street" plan (equivalent coverage to BMW Gold); add the "enhanced electronics coverage" and the plan now looks similar to BMW Platinum, for about half the cost, and twice the duration in coverage.
[The easystreet plan does not cover any part of the safety restraint system (airbags, seat belts, etc.) - does anyone know if BMW Platinum covers these?]

Pricing from DCU:
2012 BMW X5 [All Trims]
Current Odometer Reading: 34xxx
Plan Name & Type: Easy Street Coverage For New Vehicles () [Any vehicle with factory warranty remaining is considered "new" in their eyes]
MECHANICAL BREAKDOWN PROTECTION QUOTATION
QUOTE INCLUDES A $0.00 DEDUCTIBLE, 4X4/AWD, ENHANCED ELECTRONICS PACKAGE, TURBO/SUPERCHARGER
-------------------------- Plan #1 --------------------------
Terms of Coverage: 5 yrs, 100k miles
Coverage Expiration: 12/6/2019 or 100,000 miles
Total: $2,544.00
-------------------------- Plan #2 --------------------------
Terms of Coverage: 4 yrs, 75k miles
Coverage Expiration: 12/6/2018 or 75,000 miles
Total: $2,444.00
-------------------------- Plan #3 --------------------------
Terms of Coverage: 8 yrs, 100k miles
Coverage Expiration: 12/6/2022 or 100,000 miles
Total: $2,929.00
-------------------------- Plan #4 --------------------------
Terms of Coverage: 7 yrs, 75k miles
Coverage Expiration: 12/6/2021 or 75,000 miles
Total: $2,734.00

Attached is a sample contract, with electronics addendum.

Some notes from my discussion with Route66:

1. Do I have choice in whom I want to take the car to for warranty work - i.e. can I take it to BMW dealers vs taking to independent mechanics? Yes, it is your choice where you take your vehicle.

2. What is the policy on using OE vs OEM vs after-market parts? Do I get a say in which one to use? You do get your choice on the parts. With that being said, Route 66 bases it's pricing on after-market parts so if there is a difference in cost you will be responsible for the difference.

3. Can you provide some clarity on what is considered "reasonable costs to repair or replace" (p. 1 under INSURING AGREEMENT). Who decides that? We use several nationally published flat rate guides to determine labor time for a repair. Part replacement may be based of aftermarket pricing.

4. Do I have to get approval from Route66 before taking the car to the shop? No. The repair shop will need to get approval before starting any repairs, they can call with their estimate.

5. In the sample Easy_MBI contract, Clause N (page 5) is confusing: "N. Seals and gaskets, including head gaskets, except as required in connection with the replacement of a covered repair. (This exclusion does not apply to the Main Street or Easy Street Plan). Fluid seepage is not a covered repair for all plans.". What does this mean? Are leaky seals/gaskets covered under easy street or not? The statement within () seems to indicate that for easy street plans, seals and gaskets are covered standalone, even if it's not in connection with a covered repair. I'm having trouble discerning the difference between the two (seepage vs leak) - can you give me an example of fluid seepage that is not a leak, and is considered normal? Yes, seals and gaskets would be covered under the Easy Street plan. Fluid seepage is normal and not considered a leak. Seepage would leave the seal or gasket wet, which is considered normal even under the manufactures guidelines. A leak would be an actual drip to the ground and would use oil because the seal or gasket is failed.

From accounts in the E60 forum, there seems to be no problem getting them to cover for OE parts. They won't pay for diagnosis or fluid replacement during warranty work.

Anyone here has any experience with them? Thoughts on the plan/contract/coverage?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Rt 66 High Tech Addendum Sample.pdf (226.6 KB, 72 views)
File Type: pdf Easy_mbi_sample.pdf (274.4 KB, 78 views)

Last edited by bmwx5er; 01-06-2015 at 11:37 AM. Reason: added clarification for clause N
Advertisement
Old 12-17-2014, 01:00 PM

Mein Auto: e70 x5
Funny. I'm sitting at my local mechanic getting an alignment on my moms accord. Guy at the desk is bitching about aftermarket warranty and how they're screwing him. Owner of the shop says that he deals with this kind of stuff all the time. "You'd be better of opening up a bank account and putting money in there every month for a mechankcal emergency".
Old 12-17-2014, 06:17 PM

Mein Auto: X5
This warranty is very good. Some Indy mechanics do not like warranties because they are forced to buy the parts at good prices instead of charging you extra for the same part.

This warranty is the best for what it cost.
Old 12-17-2014, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedracer g37 View Post
Funny. I'm sitting at my local mechanic getting an alignment on my moms accord. Guy at the desk is bitching about aftermarket warranty and how they're screwing him. Owner of the shop says that he deals with this kind of stuff all the time. "You'd be better of opening up a bank account and putting money in there every month for a mechankcal emergency".
They are screwing him, not the customer. The customer is getting a better deal, that is why he complains about it.
Old 12-17-2014, 06:32 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by X5done View Post
They are screwing him, not the customer. The customer is getting a better deal, that is why he complains about it.
Corrected below, I think....

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedracer g37 View Post
. CUSTOMER at the desk is bitching about aftermarket warranty and how they're screwing him.
Old 12-17-2014, 07:14 PM

Route66 is a excellent warranty company. I own a repair shop and deal with them frequently. They are one of the best you can buy along with USAA. Fidelity, Easy care, and Warrentech are also good ones to consider as well.
Old 12-18-2014, 06:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 x35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalone01 View Post
Route66 is a excellent warranty company. I own a repair shop and deal with them frequently. They are one of the best you can buy along with USAA. Fidelity, Easy care, and Warrentech are also good ones to consider as well.
1st post...I'm thinking, You work for them lol?
Old 12-18-2014, 07:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 X5
I purchased my warranty plan at the time I financed my truck thru my credit union. The dealer continues to be baffled by what they cover with nothing more than $100 out of pocket per visit, not per item (I usually have a laundry list) for the (transferable) 4 or 5yr..can't remember.. platinum coverage. I believe it's only offered to credit union members. They've been GREAT, paying for thousands of dollars of repairs thru the dealer. The ONLY things not covered are normal wear and tear, and of course, maintenance. Members Choice is the plan, that I believe I payed around $2000 for, and no I don't have an affiliation with the company. The ONLY thing I would say about this plan, or probably any third party warranty, is that is does take a tad longer to get things moving, but well worth the additional day or two that it may take for high cost repairs. If you want a seamless, but costly experience, the dealer warranty is for you.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIX5 View Post
I purchased my warranty plan at the time I financed my truck thru my credit union. The dealer continues to be baffled by what they cover with nothing more than $100 out of pocket per visit, not per item (I usually have a laundry list) for the (transferable) 4 or 5yr..can't remember.. platinum coverage. I believe it's only offered to credit union members. They've been GREAT, paying for thousands of dollars of repairs thru the dealer. The ONLY things not covered are normal wear and tear, and of course, maintenance. Members Choice is the plan, that I believe I payed around $2000 for, and no I don't have an affiliation with the company. The ONLY thing I would say about this plan, or probably any third party warranty, is that is does take a tad longer to get things moving, but well worth the additional day or two that it may take for high cost repairs. If you want a seamless, but costly experience, the dealer warranty is for you.
I read the pamphlet on this from my local credit union also. I did not purchase it yet, as I have the Factory Warranty for 4 years (3 remaining now), but if I can purchase near the expiration of Factory, I think I am going to go with this Member's Choice also. I think EGR is not covered though, so for Diesels, that is somewhat of a set back, if it fails.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDonkey View Post
1st post...I'm thinking, You work for them lol?
Lmao .. I know, its my first post. No, I actually have a repair shop in Marietta Ga. You can Google Malones and Mercedes and I will show up. We just deal with a lot of warranty companys so I wanted to let you guys know that if you can get a Route66 warranty go for it. They are only sold at certain credit unions and are kinda hard to get.
Old 12-18-2014, 01:48 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

^^ Thanks. You mess with BMWs??

Old 12-18-2014, 08:15 PM

Yeah, Mercedes is the main brand with BMW right behind them.
Old 12-24-2014, 09:26 AM

Mein Auto: Tundra
I'm a member of Pentagon Federal Credit Union and it looks like their Route66 policy excludes all X5 and many other BMW and MBZ models.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Route66_penfedmodelmanufactureexclusion.pdf (205.5 KB, 53 views)
Old 12-24-2014, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deptrai View Post
I'm a member of Pentagon Federal Credit Union and it looks like their Route66 policy excludes all X5 and many other BMW and MBZ models.
Contact rt66 directly and check coverage for penfed. that's how I came to know of recent change to include x5s. DCUs brochures were outdated as well.
Old 01-05-2015, 03:46 PM

Mein Auto: X5 50i M-Sport
bmwx5er - did you pull the trigger on this? I'm considering the Easy Street plan as well, but exclusion "N." in the contract has me puzzled.
N. Seals and gaskets, including head gaskets, except as required in connection with the replacement of a covered repair. (This exclusion does not apply to the Main Street or Easy Street Plan). Fluid seepage is not a covered repair for all plans.
Do you take this to mean that oil leaks are not covered? Seems strange since they say that seals and gaskets are covered (for Easy Street plans).

I have yet to get a quote for Route 66, but I did happen to get a quote from Carchex today: 3yr/30k was $3956, 5yr/50k was $5526. That was for there exclusionary policy which included the high-tech rider. The deductible was $100. All this is for a 2011 X5 50i M-Sport with 48,000 miles. Far from scientific, I've been scouring the web for complaints and praise for various companies. I can very easily find both for all companies, even BMWs plans, but it's hard to find a company that has more praise than Route 66.
Old 01-05-2015, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acinomer View Post
bmwx5er - did you pull the trigger on this? I'm considering the Easy Street plan as well, but exclusion "N." in the contract has me puzzled.
N. Seals and gaskets, including head gaskets, except as required in connection with the replacement of a covered repair. (This exclusion does not apply to the Main Street or Easy Street Plan). Fluid seepage is not a covered repair for all plans.
Do you take this to mean that oil leaks are not covered? Seems strange since they say that seals and gaskets are covered (for Easy Street plans).

I have yet to get a quote for Route 66, but I did happen to get a quote from Carchex today: 3yr/30k was $3956, 5yr/50k was $5526. That was for there exclusionary policy which included the high-tech rider. The deductible was $100. All this is for a 2011 X5 50i M-Sport with 48,000 miles. Far from scientific, I've been scouring the web for complaints and praise for various companies. I can very easily find both for all companies, even BMWs plans, but it's hard to find a company that has more praise than Route 66.
I haven't pulled the trigger yet, as I still have a few months of factory warranty left. Route66 kicks on the day you purchase, so no point overlapping it with factory warranty. Route66 is my top candidate for extended warranty purchase atm, based on coverage, price and general reputation.

I did find that clause puzzling, but I didn't follow up on it. I'll try to find out more about that clause. You could post this question in the 3-series or 5-series forums, where Route66 seems very popular, and might be able to get a quick answer.
Old 01-06-2015, 11:17 AM

Updated the OP with some info I obtained from Route66 on clarification for Clause N.
Old 01-06-2015, 11:34 AM

Mein Auto: unicycle
This looks like a really good plan.
If I understood correctly, the seepage isn't covered because it isn't considered a problem?

I was thinking of getting the geico MBI, but this one seems really good as well. Which would y'all recommend?
Old 01-06-2015, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patel182 View Post
This looks like a really good plan.
If I understood correctly, the seepage isn't covered because it isn't considered a problem?

I was thinking of getting the geico MBI, but this one seems really good as well. Which would y'all recommend?
I cannot comment on Geico MBI as I don't have any experience. But I recall reading that only vehicles under 15K miles are eligible for Geico MBI? I presume that such a low-mileage vehicle would still have plenty of factory warranty left, so I'm not sure why you'd want to purchase the MBI that early.
Old 01-07-2015, 12:30 PM

Mein Auto: 11 X5 5.0i, 04 545i
I got a quote from my credit union for 4 YRS 48K miles easy plan of $2543. I have 65K miles on the 2011 5.0.

04 545i Silver Gray|| THE FUN CAR

11 E70 5.0i Carbon Schwartz|| THE FAMILY CAR
Old 01-07-2015, 01:09 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by delje08 View Post
I got a quote from my credit union for 4 YRS 48K miles easy plan of $2543. I have 65K miles on the 2011 5.0.

How do plans like this work?

I mean you could be at 65k miles, the transmission dies- and you go to the credit union and buy this easy plan.... is there an inspection? How do they protect against fraud?
Old 01-07-2015, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
How do plans like this work?

I mean you could be at 65k miles, the transmission dies- and you go to the credit union and buy this easy plan.... is there an inspection? How do they protect against fraud?
the Route66 plan does not provide coverage for 30 days/1000 miles from the day the policy is purchased.
(I agree it's not fool-proof)
Old 01-08-2015, 01:30 PM

I am also shopping for extended warranty for 2012 X5.

I called PenFed about Route 66 and I was quoted 5 years, 100k miles for $1995. 100k miles means when the car reaches 100k miles. So for me, it is actually 5 years 50k mile coverage. BMW dealer quoted 5 years/ 60k miles coverage for $6000. I think I will go with the Route 66 plan and save $4000 for now.
Old 01-08-2015, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjnv View Post
I am also shopping for extended warranty for 2012 X5.

I called PenFed about Route 66 and I was quoted 5 years, 100k miles for $1995. 100k miles means when the car reaches 100k miles. So for me, it is actually 5 years 50k mile coverage. BMW dealer quoted 5 years/ 60k miles coverage for $6000. I think I will go with the Route 66 plan and save $4000 for now.
That's great. Make sure to add the "ENHANCED ELECTRONICS PACKAGE" (costs around $200) - it covers factory installed electronics.

Your rate seems even better than the DCU one. Are you financing the car through PenFed?
Old 01-08-2015, 01:44 PM

Thanks, I did not know about the option. Will ask again. I will finance the car through the CU, but the price was quoted before I started the loan application. The only thing benefit of financing the car did was that I could also pay for the extended warranty over the loan period.

Give PenFed a call, everything was done over the phone. Actually their price is listed online at https://www.penfed.org/Route-66-Extended-Warranty/