Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 06-25-2015, 03:51 PM

Mein Auto: M3
Upgrading Audio on X5 E70 basic

Im about to upgrade a standard X5 E70 2007 with basic audio without tweeters. I have bought the Gladen one from Germanics with a Mosconi 120.4 DSP. Im only upgrading stage one which means only front speakers and subwoofers and Im using the four channels on the amplifier. Two for the front speakers (with tweeters using a crossover) and the other two channels for the subwoofers.

My question is what channels do I connect to the subwoofers? It says channel 3 and 4 but I only have front left right and rear left right. Is there any difference on these and can the subwoofers be connected directly to either one of the front or rear? And what will happen to my rear speakers? Will they be driven directly from the head unit? I have recieved the standard wire loom from Germanics with a 5 meter cable with 4 phono plugs in and 8 speaker out wires that all connect to the amplifier.

I also recieved som short wires that is supposed to connect directly from the amplifier to the subwoofers but I thought that I had to use the original wires for the subwoofers also?
Advertisement
Old 06-25-2015, 04:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 BMW X5
The front channel is shared in between your subs and mids in the front doors. The rear channel powers the rear mids only. If you want to power your subs and fronts separately then you will need to decouple the subs from the front speakers and the easiest way is at the connector for the subs. You will need to jumper the pins on each side and run new wires from the amp to the subs. The existing wires can be used for the front (and rear) doors.

To drive the subs you should pull the audio from the front channel because when you fade front/rear on the head unit the volume of the bass will stay constant. Even fading all the way to the rear where the fronts will be 'off', the bass will still be sent to the front channel. If you take it from the rear channel then the bass will be tied to the fader control, which you probably do not want (i.e. fade to the front and you will have no bass). There may also be additional DSP programmed in the HU limiting bass on the rear channel as well -- I'm not sure but I would definitely pull the signal from the front.

I'm not entirely sure how the rears would work out in your example because, yes, the rears are being powered by the HU and you will have to try and match that with the fronts. I'm no expert but from what I've seen most people, including myself, use at least a 6 channel amp or a 4 channel for the doors and a separate one for subs only. I would think that's easier to match up then separate amps for front/rear.

Read this link to get more info from an expert: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=432296

And for the subwoofer de-coupling jumpers: www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=776731