Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 07-06-2015, 03:15 PM

Mein Auto: 06 x3 3.0i
p0174 code n rough idle

06 x3 83,000

I keep getting po174 and occasionally get po300-306 codes.
I changed all plugs and coils. Still get the po300-306.
I changed intake boot. Maf looks clean so I haven't cleaned it yet.( will do now).
I replaced o ring for disa . Disa flap works at it should. The only thing that concerns me on the disa is the inner gasket that goes around the flapper has some tears in it. I don't think that will effect to get the lean code po174. Unless I'm wrong about that???
I think I'm getting the rough idle and po300-306 codes because of the lean code because of a leak.
Please help me out.The hoses look fine to me so I don't know what it can be.
I get the rough idle at lights or stop signs . The idle goes up and down slowly but goes down to about 500 rpms.
I have also tried the starter fluid trick to see if rpms go up while I spray hoses to check for any leaks and nothing.
Advertisement
Old 07-07-2015, 04:50 AM

Mein Auto: 06 x3 3.0i
Cleaned the maf and still same thing. Any ideas?
Old 07-07-2015, 05:44 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: bmw++many
smoke test first

look up JLEX and my posts on home made smoke test for vac/air leaks in the inlet side......or .....pay to have a smoke test done....double check the intake boot ....(the leak can be in a hidden crease)....and hose at / under rear of inlet manifold.....search the code you have on this fest .....there are loads of great fest replies and successful fixes to the problem

the last threads we read from JLEX I think he swapped the inlet manifold gaskets too.....also .....you must check under the x when you smoke test

a good fest link to study

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=780695

Last edited by swampX3; 07-07-2015 at 05:48 AM. Reason: add info
Old 07-07-2015, 05:51 AM

Mein Auto: bmw++many
JLEX smokes it

good results from post 14 above from JLEX ....gotta go the cigar route though !

Had a similar problem on my '05 X3 that I cured about a month ago... Would get the SES light on about every 500 miles before I'd wipe it out then it would come back... lean condition codes.
Finally warmed up enough here in PA to play around with it. Did a smoke test using a cheap pack of cigars & a tube fitted to the intake after the MAF sensor... damn near made me sick after 5 cigars but it's been nearly 2000 miles and the light has remained off...
Turned out there was a defect in the plastic intake manifold that I was able to locate and "cure" with hi-temp silicone caulk.
Funny how I thought of the hissing I used to hear was just engine noise... engine's now a lot quieter although I can still taste those cigars...
However you do it, a smoke test is the only way...
Old 07-10-2015, 08:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 X3.0i
Yeah... as a follow-up to that post, splodging a bit of sealant around the intake manifold helped the situation for a little while, but the SES light was coming on again every 400-500 miles. Decided to bite the bullet and remove the intake manifold to deal with the bad gasket.
Successfully replaced the gasket (and one of the vacuum plugs) on the manifold and everything's good. No more SES light. PITA, but I also replaced the starter & CCV system while I had the manifold off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05390.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	153.0 KB
ID:	518754